Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (575)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  
  Virus Effect (2D Platformer RPG Shooter)  (Read 86726 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #60 - Posted 2008-09-30 16:21:23 »

Well if you've got time I recommend trying out level 3 after having only played through levels 1 and 2. It is very very difficult to even get past the third room (I haven't done it). It seems like the level was designed for a much more powerful weapon, but you really can't afford one unless you beat levels 1 and 2 twenty times.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Projects: 1

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #61 - Posted 2008-09-30 16:41:05 »

Thanks for trying it out, my map maker is creating more maps to go in between episode 2 and 3. The current episode 3 will be moved to episode 5 or 6. Also I lowered some prices and reduced the death penalty to 15%. I'll edit more if needed once the new episodes 3 & 4 are up.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #62 - Posted 2008-10-01 04:19:10 »

Thanks for trying it out, my map maker is creating more maps to go in between episode 2 and 3. The current episode 3 will be moved to episode 5 or 6. Also I lowered some prices and reduced the death penalty to 15%. I'll edit more if needed once the new episodes 3 & 4 are up.
So is your map maker a person or a program? If it's a program, that's really cool – just having a program built that's smart enough to design levels of that complexity would be cool enough.

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #63 - Posted 2008-10-01 06:15:55 »

Oh Semir, yeah hes a program. I made the AI a little too hard apparently. Tongue

I put up forums on Shot Side, hopefully there I can finally discuss Project X's features, story/plot, and any suggestion with the community in detail. I'll definetly throw up polls also, when I can't decide on gameplay issues.

I'm going to work on weapon stats and upgrades for them next. With this added feature I will be able to balance everything out easier.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #64 - Posted 2008-10-01 07:28:40 »

Well I spent a while grinding on level 2 until I could afford an AK and I decided you should probably up its damage a bit. As it stands, I actually prefer dual pistols because they are much more accurate and do a lot more damage. And you'll end up reloading them less often. And what does leveling up do, exactly?

It seems to me in general that you should make all the weapons cheaper or up the money of everything, as well as decrease the time it takes to level up. A game like this really shouldn't require grinding or anything like that in order to progress, at least not very much of it. You should feel the progression is very fast at first to get you interested, then much slower later on so you're already vested in it. Like the AK could remain this powerful if you could acquire it by level 3 while only playing through levels 1 and 2 (which means it costs around 15 only!), either that or a level up. That way that as you're getting to the last level you have gotten enough cash for the 2nd or 3rd best weapon, then you need to grind for the very special ones.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #65 - Posted 2008-10-01 17:49:31 »

I increased the leveling up speed, and now you get full hp and full armor when you gain a level. You also get +5 max hp and +3 max armor. I have a test tomorrow so I can't start weapon upgrades until after it. The weapon upgrades include stuff like +1 Damage, +1 Clip Size, +1 Reload Speed, etc. They will be available in a seperate store and they will also be randomly droped by certain enemies. This will hopefully make balancing a little easier. Each weapon will be unique with a maximum amount of slots per stat. There will also be different weapons of the same type with different max slots, so there will be rare handguns for instance, that can have huge damage capabilities, etc.

Can't wait to implement, must study though.

Old Games
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #66 - Posted 2008-10-03 13:08:02 »

Played it a bit. When you get used to the f---ing jumping bastard, it's cool. First and second level is ok. Third is way to hard, but you already know that.

Those little green boxes that spawns the jumping blobs are very nasty. I would limit it to not spawn unless it has less than two children. Or cut down the spawn rate.

160 for an AK?Huh It should cost 40, at most. Smiley That, or have the tougher enemies drop more money. Or both. And make the money stay a little while longer.

Why not have a "scared" mode on some of the monster. All of them just attack until they die.

Keep it up!
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #67 - Posted 2008-10-05 08:00:32 »

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I plan on updating different aspects of the AI after I work on backgrounds.

As for the gun prices, I lowered them again, and added Weapon Upgrades! These are the last thing needed to keep this game fun, once you jack up your gun.

There is also a new episode 3, the old one is now episode 4. This version is one to try out. Smiley

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #68 - Posted 2008-10-05 09:27:54 »

I played the new level 3. Very hard, but beatable. I'm not sure if I could have done it without leveling up midway through though. You need to remove bad guys who are directly next to the door, because there is no way to avoid losing at least 30 to 50 life in that situation. Sometimes you're completely surrounded and can't move, losing up to 100 health. Just one enemy near the door is fine, but 3 is pretty annoying and just makes you lose life no matter how good you may be.

Also, the AK is a reasonable weapon after one upgrade, so I think it's okay at its current level. One thing you should probably do though is allow you to holster your extra weapons somewhere near the weapon shop so you can swap out weapon choices depending upon the situation. I want a shot gun, but I think in terms of all purpose a pistol and an upgraded AK are better, but I would like the option at least without eliminating my old weapon. This seems especially necessary now that you allow weapon upgrades.

Looking great, though - it's certainly fun already!

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #69 - Posted 2008-10-05 11:33:02 »

I agree, it much better now with upgrades. Also, the prices are reasonable. Beating lvl 3 like five times and now I have a maxed out AK. It kicks ass, but I still have to think. I was also able to beat lvl 4. Even with this very good gun, the game is still not easy, very fun. Good work!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56

Monkey for a head

« Reply #70 - Posted 2008-10-05 13:53:44 »

The tutorials were nice (but I had a lot of trouble with the anti-grav gun bit). Mouse wheel to switch weapons is *very* sensitive and fiddly.

Would play the actual levels but can't be bothered to sign up. Why can't we play without registering? Huh

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #71 - Posted 2008-10-05 15:52:28 »

Omg, im sorry you guys, I completely forgot to mention that you can now store your guns in your room. Just drop them there and leave, and they will be there when you get back. So with that you can choose any weapon you have for the situation and max out all the guns. And now there is U for viewing weapons stats which I also forgot to mention, but its on the controls list. It a little annoying, maybe I should make it where you have to hold it down to view, I need your suggestions.

The main reason I ask people to register is because I need to handle saving in a certain way. I chose the route of a MySQL server since I had one with my webhost. So I need some info to store your specific data. The mouse wheel part I believe depends on the mouse, there is also Q for a quick switch.

This is only the begining we still have tons of features to implement, that are all possible, I'm just busy with other stuff so I have to use any extra time to program. *cough* dual wielding *cough*

Also there will be a few ways to kill enemies when your surrounded, i'm going to implement skills. These will also be upgradeable. I'll keep you all posted, enjoy  Wink

Old Games
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56

Monkey for a head

« Reply #72 - Posted 2008-10-05 16:38:19 »

The main reason I ask people to register is because I need to handle saving in a certain way. I chose the route of a MySQL server since I had one with my webhost. So I need some info to store your specific data.
How about a "play unregistered" option that doesn't save? (with a suitable warning). As is it's not obvious to a new player why they should register. And I'm more likely to register if I've already played a level or two and know I want to go back to it.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #73 - Posted 2008-10-05 17:13:06 »

Thats a good idea, i'll try to implment something of that sort. I needed a way for people to see the main game play. I was just thinking about making  a video to put up.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #74 - Posted 2008-10-05 18:48:27 »

Have you thought about temporary invincibility when you get hit? Even if it was for 0.5 seconds if it allowed enemies to pass through you it would really help with being surrounded.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #75 - Posted 2008-10-05 20:05:19 »

Omg, im sorry you guys, I completely forgot to mention that you can now store your guns in your room. Just drop them there and leave, and they will be there when you get back.

Doesn't work for me. I dropped a GL, played a level to finish. It was there when I finished. Then I hit escape and "Play game". It was gone. I guess my room is the one I spawn in?
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #76 - Posted 2008-10-05 22:17:18 »

Yeah, the room you spawn in is supposed to be your personnal room. The room just outside is supposed to be a "town" like in regular rpgs, we call it a city. Another pixel has contacted me, and he is amazing with backgrounds and tiles. So that will make it easier to distinguish different areas of maps.

Once I complete the multiplayer, the city will be where everyone hangs out and finds other players to finish certain missions.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #77 - Posted 2008-10-06 00:47:05 »

Yeah, the room you spawn in is supposed to be your personnal room. The room just outside is supposed to be a "town" like in regular rpgs, we call it a city. Another pixel has contacted me, and he is amazing with backgrounds and tiles. So that will make it easier to distinguish different areas of maps.

Once I complete the multiplayer, the city will be where everyone hangs out and finds other players to finish certain missions.
Ah that makes sense. I dropped a pistol in the shop area and lost it.

By the way, I hope you did well on your exam.  Smiley

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #78 - Posted 2008-10-08 04:47:57 »

Thanks, I had a test on monday also, I think I did ok. I could of done better, but I'd rather work on Project X.

The start of backgrounds is done, go check them out.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #79 - Posted 2008-10-08 07:23:52 »

Wow, the city looks awesome!

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #80 - Posted 2008-10-08 22:52:53 »

Yeah, its done by the new pixel artist, Ryan D.
I just updated it, now there are two layers of parallax scrolling, I also updated the pipes background and made it darker.

Screenshots are updated if you guys want to check them out.

Click to Play

Old Games
Offline RXM9600

Junior Newbie

« Reply #81 - Posted 2008-10-11 05:32:16 »

new Episode 4 and Episode 5 are up Smiley
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #82 - Posted 2008-10-11 07:36:14 »

Sounds great! But I can't see level 5..?
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #83 - Posted 2008-10-11 22:02:23 »

New website, new name, new version.

www.VirusEffect.com

Virus Effect is the new name.

This version includes a some new episodes, and a cool new title screen. You have to beat episode 4 in this version to unlock episode 5.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #84 - Posted 2008-10-12 00:43:31 »

Nice site and everything.

Two bugs:

1) In level 5, at the area where you have two door choices (one at the bottom , one at the very top), I took the lower door, then jumped platforms to go up through the other side of the upper door. When I entered it, I was stuck in the wall.

2) If enemies on the other side of the screen somehow get hurt (usually by mines that they triggered themselves), they shouldn't come find you all the way on the other side of the level.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #85 - Posted 2008-10-13 01:46:28 »

Thanks, I forgot to fix that map before I updated, it should work now. For the second one I was wondering why the enemies would randomly chase you. I'll fix that when I work on the game again.

Thanks for the help.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #86 - Posted 2008-10-13 05:12:35 »

No problem. I think this game is great and I'm really enjoying watching it develop.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #87 - Posted 2008-10-13 08:04:44 »

I agree. It is getting really interesting now. The new lvl4 is very tricky. I have not had that much time with it. Will try it again this evening (I hope).

I have one large scale issue.
In the beginning, fighting the creeps was hard. The guns and upgrades seemed expensive (even at the current prices).
Then I could afford some upgrades, it become easier to grind levels for money.
Suddenly, the early levels seemed very easy and it was easy to grind them for more money.
Very suddenly I could afford all guns and quickly fill them with upgrades.
Now I am at a point where the guns are maxed out. I have no use for money anymore. The game is now about the tricky levels (and they are tricky, in a good way).

I think the game could do this better. Have upgrades become more and more expensive, but also making the guns better in a non-linear fashion. Of course, this has to be paired with tougher resistance.
Example:
Gun damage from start: 4.
Gun damage with upgrade 1: 5 (cost to upgrade 60)
Gun damage with upgrade 2: 6.5 (cost to upgrade 80 from step 1)
Gun damage with upgrade 3: 8.5 (cost to upgrade 120 from step 2)
Gun damage with upgrade 4: 11 (cost to upgrade 200 from step 3)

I'm sure you have lots of plans... this is merely a suggestion.

Also, is there a way to reset my character?
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #88 - Posted 2008-10-13 23:25:21 »

Thanks for the support, other people have also suggested the same thing about gradually increasing the price for upgrades. So it will be implemented.

We have big plans, slowly but surely we'll cross them all of the list. As for guns I think I'm am either going to lower the upgrade sizes for the weapons in the store and have enemies drop weapons with random max slots. Or I will have the guns that are droped have different increase sizes for each upgrade, or maybe it begins with a higher stat like damage, and you can upgrade it more.

I will add a reset button on the website so you can start over again, once I get to work on the game again. This might be necessary once I make some changes with weapons.

Old Games
Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #89 - Posted 2008-10-14 06:55:07 »

Sounds great!

I were really carefull and finally finished lvl 4. Also lvl 5 were beaten. Wohoo!

Eager for more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (33 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (25 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (26 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (40 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (74 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org