Games in Android Showcase (133)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  ignore  |  Print  
  My Highschool class is making an MMORPG...  (Read 29716 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #120 - Posted 2008-05-13 03:54:45 »

High school is for necessary mistakes.
Correction: college is for necessary mistakes.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Del

Senior Newbie

« Reply #121 - Posted 2008-06-28 04:13:44 »

If you look at MMORPGs it would be more like working at Burger King. Same repetitive tasks for very little actual gain and at the same time think you are mr 1337-d00d and 'keeping it real'.

So true. I just got off a 6 month world of warcraft binge.
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #122 - Posted 2008-06-28 05:21:16 »

It's like nine woman working together can have a baby in one month  Roll Eyes
Haha.

Some random stuff in this post heh.

I do agree what most people said, but if your not expecting to finish, you could still learn a lot in this area. Though I would like to see how much can be done.
Though myself I started on PWO (mmrpg) as a first project. Why? Because everything else is boring  Tongue I have learn't so much and I keep working on it because I have fans who love it.
If this was a program I was working on I would of stopped because of boredom ages ago heh.

I am too also thinking in making a 3d mmrpg, but I know this won't be one easy task. But I will be using jpct to help and I'll start very small. My reasons to start this would be to keep working on my Java skills, would be great to show off what i can do even if it is a demo and to have fun.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #123 - Posted 2008-07-20 04:25:11 »

I'm amazed at how people actually flock to insult other people's hopes and dreams. I really think the psychology is quite interesting, how this instantly became one of the most popular posts on the board it was posted on, and that the only reason anybody posted (except for a very small group of people) was to cut-down, insult, or otherwise demean somebody else.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the game is called Fyrestone, we've got a plot and a storyline, a dynamic-terrain loader with a map-creation program. The map loader supports unlimited tiles and texture splatting. We've got a model in and are currently in the process of adding GUI / Networking support. Networking is just in the final stages and I've experimented with 1 GUI already, and we're moving to a second GUI now.

I think we've already gotten further than many of you thought we would, and I'll be sure to post some links to demos of the game when it's playable (right now you can run around but not much else).

Screenshot of Progress

I am a noob attempting to make a video game.
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

« Reply #124 - Posted 2008-07-20 05:48:12 »

Good job, I'm glad you have keep going with this. I hope you prove them all wrong  Tongue

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #125 - Posted 2008-07-20 06:48:53 »

I'm amazed at how people actually flock to insult other people's hopes and dreams. I really think the psychology is quite interesting, how this instantly became one of the most popular posts on the board it was posted on, and that the only reason anybody posted (except for a very small group of people) was to cut-down, insult, or otherwise demean somebody else.

yeah i agree, It sux cuz I think truth is, the reason everyone is here is because they love the idea of making game/s(good ones). but because they settle for second best(I assume, just getting into the psychology of it) they try tare everyone else down. No I havnt personally been burnt from a Thread, but i have seen the things ppl write, and its unfortunate. Even if someone isnt going to go all the way I think its best to let them work it out for themselves, least they get to learn there own limits.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline purpleguitar

Junior Devvie

« Reply #126 - Posted 2008-07-20 11:40:02 »

This community consistently tries to help people develop achievable goals. How many of us have felt the disappointment of being unable to meet unrealistic goals we set for ourselves? Unfortunately, it's often hard to know what's realistic from the outset of a project. "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant," and most novice game developers have no idea how complex software creation is.

I won't stop anyone from undertaking any project, but I want them to understand what is reasonable. In my opinion, it is folly to ignore and deride the collected wisdom. If one does not to follow such wisdom, it is his or her own decision to do so.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #127 - Posted 2008-07-20 14:36:10 »

It can make laught people to eard that someone just out of shcool want to make an mmorpg, but why not ?

the one who never try to do something incredible will never do something incredible.

who know the story of the game "alone in the dark", or the divx codec or the php script, or linux ? all have something in common, they all have been made because someone say a day "I want to" and this is the most important, they dont say "can we do ?" they say "we want to do, give us some help".

It is incredible the number of time that when someone ask how to do something, most answers are : "you can do differently" or "why do you want to do this ?".
basically if the question is "how can I do this ?", the answer should be "you can do  ...." not "why  the hell do you want to do this ? it is stupid..." no matter if they succed or not they will have tried and the best way to learn is to try and sometimes learn from errors.

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #128 - Posted 2008-07-20 17:51:43 »

You come to a public forum and post a question, you'll get answers. If you don't want them, don't post.

As I said before (early on I think), just go for it! (tm). You'll either do it or you won't and learn something along the way. One thing that definitely true, if you waste time worrying what other people think of your skill level or lack of experience you'll have less time left for the project (not that I think anyone was actually suggesting it was anything to do with skill level, more to do with the massive amount of work, content and time it'd take).

The people here really have no reason to reply with anything but their honest opinions - they've no reason to attack or motivate you on purpose.

Kev

Offline chrizo

Junior Newbie

« Reply #129 - Posted 2008-07-21 01:42:23 »

Hello, new here.  Smiley

This has got to be one of the more inspirational thread for us novice game programmers.

I guess the most important thing is the WILL to do it. The know-how will come as you continue the pursuit... Smiley

It's been about 3 months since you opened this thread and already, it looks like you have something close to what you have in mind.

But, I'm guessing your still not cleared yet since Networking, the most important part of your project, is implemented last?? You may have to do some major revisions of your work.

I think the major reason for the negativity of this forum is your use and the scope of the word MMORPG. I don't think it was a attack against your goal. No matter, it was a good read by the way. Smiley

Cheers,

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DragonsRage

Senior Newbie

« Reply #130 - Posted 2008-07-22 02:46:34 »

Looks like the game is coming along nicely, a tip for the networking, unless you plan to release this soon, I wouldn't worry about security for awhile as it is time consuming, frustrating and ultimately what put me off my MMORPG dreams. The second major hurdle you might run into soon is art. I have found that the actual programming often moves faster than the artists so it might be a good idea to make some temporary crappy looking stuff just to work with while you work out bugs.

Keep at it, I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner  Tongue.

Secrets and lies

() ()
     (O.o)
     (>.<)
Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #131 - Posted 2008-07-22 06:20:08 »

I guess the most important thing is the WILL to do it. The know-how will come as you continue the pursuit... Smiley
This is 100% true, and it's also a great example of the American dream. Don't let people put you down, just work as hard as you can, stop at nothing, and your dreams will come true.

You come to a public forum and post a question, you'll get answers. If you don't want them, don't post.

As I said before (early on I think), just go for it! (tm). You'll either do it or you won't and learn something along the way. One thing that definitely true, if you waste time worrying what other people think of your skill level or lack of experience you'll have less time left for the project (not that I think anyone was actually suggesting it was anything to do with skill level, more to do with the massive amount of work, content and time it'd take).

The people here really have no reason to reply with anything but their honest opinions - they've no reason to attack or motivate you on purpose.

Kev

If I come to a forum like this and ask a question, I'm not asking your opinion on  my game or ambition. The question was specific and technical. If I ask "How do I make a cube" you don't say "You'll never succeed at making a video game" you say how to make a cube, or where to look it up. So really, you're right. Their opinions may be honest, but I never asked for them.

This community consistently tries to help people develop achievable goals. How many of us have felt the disappointment of being unable to meet unrealistic goals we set for ourselves? Unfortunately, it's often hard to know what's realistic from the outset of a project. "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant," and most novice game developers have no idea how complex software creation is.

I won't stop anyone from undertaking any project, but I want them to understand what is reasonable. In my opinion, it is folly to ignore and deride the collected wisdom. If one does not to follow such wisdom, it is his or her own decision to do so.

I disagree. This community does NOT try to help people develop achievable goals. That is something that would indicate positive thinking. If you were trying to help develop an achievable goal, you would explain how to best start developing, what steps should be taken first, what things are priorities and what aren't, and add-on that it's possible (not inevitable, simply possible) that the game won't be at the stage of a fully playable MMO by the time I'm done with it. THAT is building an achievable goal. This thread is tearing down somebody's dreams with your own failures.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #132 - Posted 2008-07-22 13:24:35 »

The red book is the definitive guide to OpenGL (although it only goes up to 1.1, it covers all the core functionality you need to get started). NeHe is widely regarded as being a bit rubbish and little more than a code dump of bad habits.

Don't you mean "The red book. NSA Trusted Networks. Otherwise known as the ugly red book that won't fit on a shelf."  Grin

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #133 - Posted 2008-07-22 15:26:20 »

Their opinions may be honest, but I never asked for them.

Forgive me, but that just sounds a bit childish. It doesn't matter what you want, if you post on a public forum you'll get what the public think are appropriate answers. By posting you are opening up to world at large to reply. The best you can hope for is make use of the bits that you can.

I'm going to say it just once more, no matter what any of the naysayers say, just go for it! You already seem to be making in-roads to the task, you seem to have picked up (I think) JME which should lead you most of the way. Pick up project darkstar and you'll be mostly done Smiley

@Chris - that wasn't a Hackers reference was it. Tsk tsk.

Kev

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 435
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #134 - Posted 2008-07-22 15:38:18 »

Just want to remind you to make sure you've actually got something to hand in at the end of it - and a 500 page printout of the source code won't get you any marks by the way Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #135 - Posted 2008-07-22 15:48:54 »

Just want to remind you to make sure you've actually got something to hand in at the end of it - and a 500 page printout of the source code won't get you any marks by the way Wink

Cas Smiley

Even what I have now would suffice to turn in for the project.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #136 - Posted 2008-07-22 17:32:41 »

This is 100% true, and it's also a great example of the American dream. Don't let people put you down, just work as hard as you can, stop at nothing, and your dreams will come true.

Good for you!  Many of the biggest successes in the general web space have been built in the face of nay-sayers.  If it is something you really want to do, then I encourage that.  But....

If I come to a forum like this and ask a question, I'm not asking your opinion on  my game or ambition. The question was specific and technical. If I ask "How do I make a cube" you don't say "You'll never succeed at making a video game" you say how to make a cube, or where to look it up. So really, you're right. Their opinions may be honest, but I never asked for them.

Jeff had a great line in an earlier thread: "I want to compete in the Olympic high dive tomorrow.  Can you teach me to swim today?"  To be fair, when you come into a forum like this, as a new member, and off the bat make statements that you want to develop one of the most complex kind of game you could ever develop and are asking questions about where to start with GUI development, that is a red flag.  The suggestion first offered was, start smaller and really learn the basics.  The root of this suggestion is that if you start off TOO big, you may get soured on the whole game development profession and decide you don't want to pursue.  That would not be good for you or the community.

Sorry, but if you ask for help, you open up yourself to opinions as well.  That's life.

I disagree. This community does NOT try to help people develop achievable goals. That is something that would indicate positive thinking. If you were trying to help develop an achievable goal, you would explain how to best start developing, what steps should be taken first, what things are priorities and what aren't, and add-on that it's possible (not inevitable, simply possible) that the game won't be at the stage of a fully playable MMO by the time I'm done with it. THAT is building an achievable goal. This thread is tearing down somebody's dreams with your own failures.

No one is tearing down your dream.  Just splashing some reality on it.  You have attempted to build the hardest kind of game, without any prior experience in doing do, and asking for help with some basic components that SHOULD be mastered before attempting this kind of a game.  What response should you have expected.  No one is saying that it is impossible, just highly improbable.   And who said that the thread is full of failure?  Some of the people responding to you have YEARS of professional game development experience and have built MMOGs.

I hope that you DO build the game and that it is a successful project for your class.  I am looking forward to seeing it when you are ready to share.  And if you DO finish this, know that what you did will have been extraordinary. MMOGS are hard.  I wish you luck.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #137 - Posted 2008-07-22 17:34:41 »

Forgive me, but that just sounds a bit childish. It doesn't matter what you want, if you post on a public forum you'll get what the public think are appropriate answers. By posting you are opening up to world at large to reply. The best you can hope for is make use of the bits that you can.

I'm going to say it just once more, no matter what any of the naysayers say, just go for it! You already seem to be making in-roads to the task, you seem to have picked up (I think) JME which should lead you most of the way. Pick up project darkstar and you'll be mostly done Smiley

@Chris - that wasn't a Hackers reference was it. Tsk tsk.

Kev

Yes Kev, and it is an AWESOME and BAD movie at the same time.  And that fact that you knew the quote, well.....shame on you.

Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #138 - Posted 2008-07-22 18:09:55 »

No one is tearing down your dream.  Just splashing some reality on it. 

Once more I totally disagree. Splashing some reality on it, like I said before, would be to offer suggestions on how to create the game, and to include that it's a possibility that the game won't be playable.

Go look at the first response. That's not help, in any manner.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #139 - Posted 2008-07-22 20:41:54 »

Once more I totally disagree. Splashing some reality on it, like I said before, would be to offer suggestions on how to create the game, and to include that it's a possibility that the game won't be playable.

Go look at the first response. That's not help, in any manner.

No, the reality is that you may very well be in over your head.  That does not mean you won't swim and succeed!  You state that you have never really done client side GUI stuff but you want to build your own engine.  Ambitious to say the least Smiley

You want the community to be sympathetic and you can't expect that from everyone.  Many people who I respect have stated support for you and that is what you should take to heart.  You will never please everyone, so do it for yourself and ignore the negative comments if you like.

As I said, I really do wish you luck and am eager to see what you come up with Smiley

Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #140 - Posted 2008-07-22 23:38:46 »

I understand that there have been a FEW people who have shown support, and I really do appreciate them. A few people at JME especially have been extremely helpful. But certain people, and I'll just use the first post again as an example, just didn't help at all.. When you say "I may be well in over my head but that doesn't mean I won't succeed," it's TOTALLY different than "You're in way over your head. Drop the project now." Do you see the difference? I guarantee you somebody who is starting out will.

I do thank the people who have been supportive, but sometimes the other negative comments drown you out.

As for people who have felt discouraged and are looking for hope, check out jMonkeyEngine. I think you'll find the community is great and the engine is too. It won't be a huge crutch, nothing like GameMaker. It's more of a collection of utilities for doing things that just take up time in your game-making. I think it's 100% awesome, hopefully some of you here will too.

Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #141 - Posted 2008-07-22 23:40:22 »

By the way, you can check out our first YouTube tech demo here. It's nothing really impressive, just showing the character and stuff. You also get to hear my nerdy voice. Don't make fun, it was very late and I was pretty tired.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #142 - Posted 2008-07-23 00:56:02 »

By the way, you can check out our first YouTube tech demo here. It's nothing really impressive, just showing the character and stuff. You also get to hear my nerdy voice. Don't make fun, it was very late and I was pretty tired.

Looking good!  Keep it up!

Offline DragonsRage

Senior Newbie

« Reply #143 - Posted 2008-07-23 01:06:36 »

That fog effect is a nice touch.  Smiley

Secrets and lies

() ()
     (O.o)
     (>.<)
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

« Reply #144 - Posted 2008-07-23 02:13:53 »

Very cool demo.

Offline zatara

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #145 - Posted 2008-07-23 07:43:57 »

First off, I want to commend you on the job you are doing.  This is an amazing project.  As a college senior in computer science this project impresses me very much.  I wish I could find motivated individuals such as you to join my programming team for our senior project. 

The next thing I would suggest is to toughen up your skin.  People are going to say what ever they want, and since they can, they will.  You shouldn't take it personally.  If you understand scope and preparation, you have nothing to worry about. 

I wish you good luck, and I would like to be in the beta Smiley

~Zatara
Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #146 - Posted 2008-07-23 08:39:51 »

Keep an eye on this thread. We'll probably actually be posting alpha-demos in December to a smaller group (programmers, mostly) to get most of the bugs worked out of the framework, and then we'll be doing Beta testing (offered to more people) for content to make sure it will be popular!  Grin Hopefully the alpha demos can come out in December...

Offline purpleguitar

Junior Devvie

« Reply #147 - Posted 2008-07-23 12:29:52 »

Quick tech question for you Trussell: how hard was the console integration using JME? Is that an integrated feature, or did you "manually" have to build a widget, attach a script interpreter, etc.? I have some colleagues on a project that would love to hear that it's fairly easy Wink

Thanks for posting the YouTube demo
Offline Trussell

Junior Devvie

Game Developer

« Reply #148 - Posted 2008-07-23 17:00:43 »

Yeah I had to build it manually using an interpreter (basically a bunch of if statements...) that runs if the chat input begins with a period. However, I consider that to be pretty easy anyway  Grin

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #149 - Posted 2008-08-01 22:29:17 »

Your YouTube demo looks nice. In 5 years of Java experience I have yet to mess around with 3D fog effects.  Tongue

See my work:
OTC Software
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (38 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (31 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (99 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (60 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (74 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (77 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (138 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (127 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (38 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org