What Makes It Fun?  (Read 2640 times)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Posted 2003-08-23 20:59:07 »

Just when you thought you were safe in the other thread...

I downloaded Orbz 2.1 from Garage today. You get 60 minutes play time with the demo - brave, on their part. Can they convince me in an hour that I want to play their game? (I know of people who've played my game for days and not completed the demo).

But damn, I was hooked on Orbz after about 15 minutes. I played it right through until my time was up and I was just really enjoying myself. Those clever sods!

What is it in Orbz that makes it so fun? It's got lame graphics that could easily be done in J3D Tongue, and atrocious MIDI music. It doesn't even perform particularly brilliantly on my midrange laptop - I can see it regularly dropping below the magic 50fps.

But it's just... strangely addictive.

(Reading between the lines you can see that I'm impressed by Orbz, and I might just have to buy it)

So go on: let's analyze Orbz and break out its constituent parts and find out why I want to buy it.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-08-23 22:00:23 »

I played the demo too. It's awhile ago but I - in contrast - didn't had much fun. The game itself was to slow for my taste. Click and wait... click and wait... all the time.

But there were two things I liked:

The feeling for distance and gravity was pretty good. I liked to shot myself straight in the air and watching the show.

The other thing I liked was the way water worked. I guess I'm a fan of good physics (good doesn't necessarly mean realistic).

Well I (and my bro) liked Marble Blast (Gold) much more. We will buy it for sure (btw I like the fact that it's ok for them if you install it on 2 PCs Smiley).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline tortoise

<3 Shmups

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-08-23 22:24:28 »

I liked Orbz, I thought it was well done.

I don't think the graphics or music are particularly bad. It's just the style of game that only calls for simple visuals. Much like Monkey Ball on the GameCube. I can't really imagine this game with any other style of graphics, except maybe some sort of cel shading (and that's a big maybe). The graphics are pleasant and don't get in the way, works for me.

As for why it works I think it's another case of "easy to pick up, hard to master". I don't even think the tutorial was necessary.

The physics and controls are geared to the objective. They could have just as easily made your ball roll all over the place on missed shots, they wisely saw that'd be bad. It also doesn't look like near terrain affects your shot. Like if you're near a ridge and you shoot your ball doesn't immediately bounces back off the ridge.

It's got a nice flow to it. You can often go from star to star to star and rake up a 10+ long streak which is nice and satisfying.

Red stars seemed placed just right. You can either just go for a long streak of yellow, take risky shots on far off reds, or find yellows that lead you to reds. Nice little touch of strategy.

Just my observations after about half an hour of play. I enjoyed it.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-08-26 05:10:59 »

Well I played it a while back and thought it was interesting and a nice proof of concept type of game for Torque, but I didn't really find it all that entertaining to the point where I would pay money for it. I did think that it was a cool distraction. I kinda felt that there wasn't a real compelling reason to keep playing - the reward at each level didn't keep me wanting more.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-08-26 08:46:26 »

A friend of mine likes Orbz (full version) very much. Since I don't play it, I'll quote him. To his background: he plays computer games intensely on a high end machine and also play in a FPS clan for years now. This means two things. First, Garage games don't just address the category "family/woman who plays a game once a week". Second, also people who are used to play high end 3d graphic games (FPS) can like the simple 3d graphics of Orbz, if the game is good (which it is).

He says it's alway nice to play Orbz in the meantime. What he likes most: Orbz is nice to watch, easy and fast to play, and you always want to hit more (score) compared to the last match.
He says that these factors remembered him to Tetris, a very simple but addictive game (which I played for years).
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-08-26 12:12:50 »

I still play Tetris - EVERY DAY

Smiley

-SG

Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-08-26 12:18:34 »

I still play Tetris - EVERY DAY

That's good. It's a genius game. Simple (from its main idea), funny, invigorate, addictive! That's the way garage games have to go.

Tetris I still play occasionally. Some of its clones (I think even Puzzle-Bobble's a kind of clone) I play even more oftenly. :-)

My mentioned Orbz friend says that Orbz "has this Tetris feeling" which I can't judge however.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (33 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org