Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  ignore  |  Print  
  Create a space to submit and to launch Java webstartable games  (Read 37884 times)
Offline SimonH
« Reply #30 - Posted 2008-05-23 16:44:36 »

<offtopic>
Lol - They say; 'enemies ignore eachother but friends will quarrel'

What is a "gerçure" by the way? Google gives "cracking" which in english is a compliment: "Cracking cheese, Gromit!"
</offtopic>

People make games and games make people
Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #31 - Posted 2008-05-23 17:32:16 »

"Gerçure" are the little cuts you get on your lips when it is too cold (I will never use than for an insult  Tongue)

Well, i just take a look to the java game tome. For sure, it is uggly. But if they want  to do a working site first then redo the design, it is normal. (Well then the site should be kept to a really limited number of people).

For the site, I see some problems :
- too many game on the first page. It should be a random selection of 5 games
- no "browse game" menu... (the "search" menu should not replace it)
- images for games are rescale by the explorer (really uggly)... you will have to cut/resize them all manually.

Edit : i don't really like the way that game are launch directly. We should have the choise to launch them directly or to have a page with some detail.
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #32 - Posted 2008-05-23 17:40:23 »

"Gerçure" are the little cuts you get on your lips when it is too cold

Ah, I get it the translation now, as in "chapped lips". Makes sense.

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #33 - Posted 2008-05-23 17:52:54 »

OK, first I think we should really not focus on the presentation for now. This web site is a first draft from the author right?. Look at the rest of the site, no other page is functional. And when I said a "nice site", I didn't mean the design but the concept/idea of the thing. Now, I guess that the design will evolve to a more professional presentation? To be helpful here, why looking not for an auto generated page layout from a good tool? This way there wouldn't be a lot of time spent on HTML and CSS code. For my games I subscribed to freewebs. Even a free subscription gives you a complete site in an hour. This includes generation of web forms. The only possible missing feature would the integration of third party software and server like a DB server but that must be verified...

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #34 - Posted 2008-05-23 17:56:46 »

OK, first I think we should really not focus on the presentation for now. This web site is a first draft from the author right?

Fair point. I think the idea itself is great (as said above). It could do with more details on each game and the ability for the author to change their entry. For instance, putty puzzle was up there a moment ago (not sure if it still will be after this thread Smiley) and the screenshot wasn't a screenshot. I'd like to change it, can I?

It's be great to see a RSS feed of the new games as they get added also. Is there a chance we could add reviews of the games aswell?

Kev

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #35 - Posted 2008-05-23 18:23:27 »

The Java Game Tome site is still in its early build. I plan on redesigning the look in the near future. If you're wondering what I'm capable of, here are two contrasting looking sites I have designed:

Expressive: http://www.slyhawk.com/
Minimalist: http://www.otcsw.com/

Although admittedly I used Coke and Code for inspiration on OTCSW.

Also, as far as I know the goal of the Game Tome is to be useable by absolutely everyone, easy to understand and simple. We're definitely not trying to force any choices or anything.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #36 - Posted 2008-05-23 19:09:02 »

There's something very very cool about that Slyhawk site, not quite sure what it is, but it's cool Smiley Something about it makes me feel like it's not a web page - very nice.

Kev

Offline gouessej
« Reply #37 - Posted 2008-05-23 19:40:15 »

"Gerçure" are the little cuts you get on your lips when it is too cold (I will never use than for an insult  Tongue)

Well, i just take a look to the java game tome. For sure, it is uggly. But if they want  to do a working site first then redo the design, it is normal. (Well then the site should be kept to a really limited number of people).
Thank you! You understand what I have been doing. I want to build something that works correctly before taking care of the look and feel. Christoph will improve the appearance.

For the site, I see some problems :
- too many game on the first page. It should be a random selection of 5 games
- no "browse game" menu... (the "search" menu should not replace it)
- images for games are rescale by the explorer (really uggly)... you will have to cut/resize them all manually.

Edit : i don't really like the way that game are launch directly. We should have the choise to launch them directly or to have a page with some detail.
What do you mean by "browse game"? A small panel will appear under each image allowing to:
- view details
- rate
- update information about this game

Offline gouessej
« Reply #38 - Posted 2008-05-23 19:46:07 »

Fair point. I think the idea itself is great (as said above). It could do with more details on each game and the ability for the author to change their entry. For instance, putty puzzle was up there a moment ago (not sure if it still will be after this thread Smiley) and the screenshot wasn't a screenshot. I'd like to change it, can I?

It's be great to see a RSS feed of the new games as they get added also. Is there a chance we could add reviews of the games aswell?

Kev
Give me the URL of the image chosen as a replacement. I will finish the functional part of the system to update game information in some days. A "news" system will be created, I will do this in some days too.

The Java Game Tome site is still in its early build. I plan on redesigning the look in the near future. If you're wondering what I'm capable of, here are two contrasting looking sites I have designed:

Expressive: http://www.slyhawk.com/
Minimalist: http://www.otcsw.com/

Although admittedly I used Coke and Code for inspiration on OTCSW.

Also, as far as I know the goal of the Game Tome is to be useable by absolutely everyone, easy to understand and simple. We're definitely not trying to force any choices or anything.
Yes I know you're currently very busy. Please use phpBB for the forum before improving the look and feel.

Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #39 - Posted 2008-05-23 20:50:31 »

Thank you! You understand what I have been doing. I want to build something that works correctly before taking care of the look and feel. Christoph will improve the appearance.
What do you mean by "browse game"? A small panel will appear under each image allowing to:
- view details
- rate
- update information about this game

A little more details : the first time, I go to the site there were 3 games in the home page. I look to the menu to look for more games and no "'Games" menu, no categories. I really was wondering how to show a list of games.
Now there is 3 screens of games... it is far too troublesome to find something. Of course, there is the search option but I dont fell it intuitive.

What I was expecting is a menu "Games" / "Browse" that will show categories ("RPG", "Shooter",...) then a list of game or a subcategory.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #40 - Posted 2008-05-23 21:09:17 »

A little more details : the first time, I go to the site there were 3 games in the home page. I look to the menu to look for more games and no "'Games" menu, no categories. I really was wondering how to show a list of games.
Now there is 3 screens of games... it is far too troublesome to find something. Of course, there is the search option but I dont fell it intuitive.

What I was expecting is a menu "Games" / "Browse" that will show categories ("RPG", "Shooter",...) then a list of game or a subcategory.
Good idea. I will finish the other functional parts and I may plan to implement your suggestion. However, I think that I will keep some games in the homepage, maybe less Smiley. I think that with some efforts the Java(tm) Game Tome will contain more than 100 games in one month.

Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2008-05-23 21:12:31 »

Yes, the look & feel isn't very impressive at the moment! However, we are still developing it. gouessej is doing a great job implementing all the code.

I guess Demonpants & myself will fight about who will be allowed to create the user interface on top  Grin

I did some previous web design (partly with help from templatemonster):
http://www.multiplayerhub.com/board/
http://www.noblemaster.com/
http://www.aevumobscurum.com/original/
http://www.kingx.com/

I can slap something cool over once you are done implementing all the code, unless Demonpants/gouessej are beating me to it  Grin

Offline gouessej
« Reply #42 - Posted 2008-05-24 11:02:42 »

The possibility of viewing the details of the games has been added (the rate is not visible). I will do the rest (mainly rating and game update) tonight or tomorrow. Only logged users can rate a game (to avoid fraud as much as possible).

I plan to make a short movie to promote the Java(tm) Game Tome with some scenes of each game.

For the look and feel, including a 3D game browsing system might be done with JOGL in an unsigned applet.

The semi-automatic promoting system is not ready. Therefore, I'm sorry if your website is not yet more visited. Google detected the Tome. I will use the ancestor of the semi-automatic promoting system on www.javagametome.com itself, I hope it will work fine.

In the homepage, I will keep some games organized in some sections:
- recently added games
- recently updated games
- highly rated games
- most played games

Offline Mr. Gol

Medals: 1

« Reply #43 - Posted 2008-05-24 13:23:06 »

I tried to submit my game (Ferrari3D) to this site, but I got the error message "unknown developer login", even though I had registered. But when I looked at the main page afterwards it was added and the submitter was listed as 'root'! Does it simply mean that someone already added the game, or am I going insane? Smiley

In case of the latter, could I please change the location of the thumbnail? I have a much nicer looking one then the current one.

Finally, take it easy goussej. That the majority of people thinks that the current design is ugly does not mean that we don't appreciate your efforts in this. Thank you for working on this site, and keep up the good work!
Offline gouessej
« Reply #44 - Posted 2008-05-24 13:48:01 »

I tried to submit my game (Ferrari3D) to this site, but I got the error message "unknown developer login", even though I had registered. But when I looked at the main page afterwards it was added and the submitter was listed as 'root'! Does it simply mean that someone already added the game, or am I going insane? Smiley

In case of the latter, could I please change the location of the thumbnail? I have a much nicer looking one then the current one.

Finally, take it easy goussej. That the majority of people thinks that the current design is ugly does not mean that we don't appreciate your efforts in this. Thank you for working on this site, and keep up the good work!
Ferrari 3D has been added by me yesterday. There was a bug in the user registration, I have just fixed it when I read your post here, thank you very very much. If you want to change the thumbnail, give me the URL and I will do this as soon as possible, ok?
If you're patient, retry to register on the Tome and wait for some days, I will allow the users to update the information about the games.

Yes it is ugly and it is not a problem. The priority is to make this website work at first before improving the look and feel, I have already said it. I take it easy. I slept only 5 hours this night because I had to fix some bugs, I'm fine. Christoph and Elijah will improve the look and feel, count mainly on them.

Now, the Java(tm) Game Tome contains 100 games!!

Offline SimonH
« Reply #45 - Posted 2008-05-24 14:59:31 »

*Insert quote not working?*

>> Now, the Java(tm) Game Tome contains 100 games!!

Erm, 99 games! I've had to suspend Bloodridge as my ISP is getting sniffy about the bandwidth I'm taking up...

EDIT Cancel that - Bloodridge is now back online!

People make games and games make people
Offline gouessej
« Reply #46 - Posted 2008-05-24 17:42:00 »

*Insert quote not working?*

>> Now, the Java(tm) Game Tome contains 100 games!!

Erm, 99 games! I've had to suspend Bloodridge as my ISP is getting sniffy about the bandwidth I'm taking up...

EDIT Cancel that - Bloodridge is now back online!
Thanks. I'm going to fix it. magic_quotes_gpc is at on, I expected it at false, it is discouraged to enable it in PHP 6.0.0. I will use addslashes(...) before using a string to query the database and stripslashes(...) to clean a string before displaying it. Christoph will deactivate these magic quotes if possible in php.ini.

You reassure me, Bloodridge is one of the best games on the Java(tm) Game Tome on my view, it must stay available.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #47 - Posted 2008-05-25 00:34:43 »

Ok now it is possible to view the details of the games, update them and rate the games. Now please register on the website and update your games directly if needed. I will add a system to submit news tomorrow.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #48 - Posted 2008-05-26 16:59:28 »

There are some problems with the database. I have added the RSS feed but the information is poor, wait for some days, it will work better.

Offline g666

« Reply #49 - Posted 2008-05-27 11:22:41 »

Thanks. I'm going to fix it. magic_quotes_gpc is at on, I expected it at false, it is discouraged to enable it in PHP 6.0.0. I will use addslashes(...) before using a string to query the database and stripslashes(...) to clean a string before displaying it. Christoph will deactivate these magic quotes if possible in php.ini.

you should probably use mysql_real_escape_string instead of addslashes, see:

http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/jan/addslashes-versus-mysql-real-escape-string

@javagametome

its not pretty atm, but that fact that you are doing it is good, and i assume it will get better if you continue to keep working on it.

i suggest you make people provide a thumbnail of a certain size when submitting a game, currently the scaling is poor quality and the aspect ratios are all broken

desperately seeking sanity
Offline gouessej
« Reply #50 - Posted 2008-05-27 12:09:57 »

you should probably use mysql_real_escape_string instead of addslashes, see:

http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/jan/addslashes-versus-mysql-real-escape-string

@javagametome

its not pretty atm, but that fact that you are doing it is good, and i assume it will get better if you continue to keep working on it.

i suggest you make people provide a thumbnail of a certain size when submitting a game, currently the scaling is poor quality and the aspect ratios are all broken
You're right, I have seen it too when I looked deeper in the PHP documentation.

The GUI will be improved later, step by step. Of course, I keep working on it Smiley, thanks.

It is important that the images in the panel have a fixed size. I will add a warning in the submission system to tell the submitter that the provided image will be resized.

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #51 - Posted 2008-05-27 12:15:36 »

One thing that JavaGamesFactory did quite nicely was classifing games by their stage of development (concept, in development, beta, complete, etc). This made it easy to find something to play/demo to people. Could we have that again please?

EDIT: Oh, and is it possible for authors to remove their games should they be taken down/withdrawn etc?

Kev

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #52 - Posted 2008-05-27 19:48:07 »

Hello,

I try to update my game info but I have an error message saying that the update can't be done. The first update didn't give an error but the other attempts did. I also created an account with user jeromeblouin.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #53 - Posted 2008-05-27 22:24:35 »

Hello,

I try to update my game info but I have an error message saying that the update can't be done. The first update didn't give an error but the other attempts did. I also created an account with user jeromeblouin.

Ok. I think that it happened because of a problem with the magic quotes, I'm really sorry. Please send me a private message (in French if you want, Jérome Blouin, it sounds French, doesn't it?) and tell me which update you want to do. According to the database, you only modified the homepage URL and your modification has been approved now.

Thank you very much for this bug report, it will help me to improve the website.

N.B: an unlogged user tried to remove the homepage URL of the game "Roll 4K". I rejected the modification. Some kinds of modification are approved only for logged users, I should display something, a message, sorry again.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #54 - Posted 2008-05-27 22:31:28 »

Thank you very much for this bug report, it will help me to improve the website.
C'est un plaisir! -> It's pleasure! (for anglophone ones.  Smiley ) It's a very little action compared to what you and the other contributors are building...  Smiley BTW, thanks a lot!

I'll send you a private message when I'm home...

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #55 - Posted 2008-05-27 23:00:42 »

an unlogged user tried to remove the homepage URL of the game "Roll 4K". I rejected the modification. Some kinds of modification are approved only for logged users, I should display something, a message, sorry again.

That was me, I was going to change it to the full URL but was fiddling about and clicked. It's a good idea to display the message. Are the updates going to be automatic in the future or will they always be pending approval by you?

Kev

Offline gouessej
« Reply #56 - Posted 2008-05-27 23:42:59 »

That was me, I was going to change it to the full URL but was fiddling about and clicked. It's a good idea to display the message. Are the updates going to be automatic in the future or will they always be pending approval by you?

Kev
It would be technically possible to drive the updates automatic. Nevertheless, I can't do it as I allow unlogged users to do many things (Elijah and Christoph agree with me about it as far as I know), there must be a counterpart, a control. If I let anyone do anything, someone can come and change all the URLs in order to break all, to perform a "sabotage". It is an extreme case but the Java(tm) Game Tome won't become a graveyard, I hope it's clear. Please read the rules: http://www.javagametome.com/terms_of_use.php
"Any modification of the contents must be approved by the administrator before being published."

I think that we will add some protections against robots too. I have implemented an approval mechanism not to bother you, Elijah validated the structure of the tables, he knew what I was doing. I hope it is not a problem for you. I remember what you wrote on IRC, I hope that you will participate to the Java(tm) Game Tome by adding contents too. Sometimes I disagree with you but I respect you as a human being and as a talented programmer. This Tome is ugly but it is a good occasion to promote Java gaming.

P.S: I precise that I follow the same principles than for a professional application I had rewritten during my single work placement. If someone destroys the Tome, I have planned to adapt some tools to be able to rebuild it in less than an hour (including FTP, SVN and the database).

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #57 - Posted 2008-05-27 23:47:03 »

I remember what you wrote on IRC

I thought that'd been cleared up above. You mis-translated some text "chap" which isn't an insult. The site was pretty weird looking when I looked at it - looks considerably better with that new title bar though.

Kev

Offline gouessej
« Reply #58 - Posted 2008-05-27 23:49:47 »

I thought that'd been cleared up above. You mis-translated some text "chap" which isn't an insult. The site was pretty weird looking when I looked at it - looks considerably better with that new title bar though.

Kev
I was speaking about what you wrote about my political views. Read the terms of use, I hope that you are reassured. I clearly differenciate the role of the Foundation and the aims of our website.

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #59 - Posted 2008-05-27 23:51:40 »

Ah right, well thats good from my point of view anyway.

Kev

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (10 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (10 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (26 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (10 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (40 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org