Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  Playing with car physic & 3DzzD Update 11  (Read 21880 times)
Offline DzzD
« Reply #60 - Posted 2008-07-03 20:46:58 »

I'd like the car brighter and the steering looser...
car is now brighter, about steering I am no sure,it is already quite hard to drive no ?

The only problem I could find is that once when I hit a create at fast speed the car got all glitchy
yup I saw that too (physic engine problem), I will update that when I will disable car flip-flop drive.

Also whats stopping anyone from driving on the grass then the track? I don't see the grass slowing the car down atm.
the grass dont slow the car for now but you have to compensate the slope, what about to make the grass sllicky ?

i thought the wheels were funny

damn man! you break my car

some few updates on last version ( update 8 ):
camera is again closer to the car  than previous one
some artwork on the car (textured & a little bigger)

http://demo.dzzd.net/ROAD8/

Offline DzzD
« Reply #61 - Posted 2008-07-03 23:19:00 »

ROAD8 level updated, finally holes have been removed

any idea to make things funnier ?

Offline SimonH
« Reply #62 - Posted 2008-07-06 05:30:00 »

Brighter car's much better!

I would like a 'flip me back upright' key - space bar maybe?

Funnier? Erm... Oil slicks that spin you round? Exploding boxes? Hedgehogs that make you jump?
Check out Crash Bandicoot for ideas!

People make games and games make people
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #63 - Posted 2008-07-06 06:01:28 »

Yes now I can always see the car. To make things funnier I say make the track more crazy. Huge jumps, crazy corners, driving in a pipe, track splits up, dead ends, tunnel maze, etc...

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #64 - Posted 2008-07-06 06:59:44 »

I reckon guns/rockets/mines would be the best. That's why mario kart was so cool.

The applet worked well on my computer. I agree that a flip-back-over button is needed, and maybe a few less jumps at the very start.

By the way, this wierd bug happened to me where one of the car's wheels was stuck under the ground?! It happened after I was driving around for a while upside-down

Offline DzzD
« Reply #65 - Posted 2008-07-06 15:13:02 »

I agree that a flip-back-over button is needed
you are all right this will be the next update

happened to me where one of the car's wheels was stuck under the ground?!
thanks, if you hardly hit something(box/wall) there is also a bug as the car become crazy.

Yes now I can always see the car. To make things funnier I say make the track more crazy. Huge jumps, crazy corners, driving in a pipe, track splits up, dead ends, tunnel maze, etc...
yes maybe, but not sure the lack of amusment come from the track geometry, I tried different road with different structure and that's not seem to be a lot more funnier exept for huge jump and looping wich are cool.

Funnier? Erm... Oil slicks that spin you round? Exploding boxes? Hedgehogs that make you jump?

good idea, Exploding box and the oil slicks.

I reckon guns/rockets/mines would be the best. That's why mario kart was so cool.
hehe would be cool, but I need to add network first. but rocket launcher will be definitly the best thing to add.

to start I will add flip-back-over button, mine/exploding box and oil slicks.

Offline kuhnibert

Senior Newbie

« Reply #66 - Posted 2008-07-06 18:46:01 »

Hi

It's a really cool game. It's fun to play, but the track should be less boring.

One Question: Why is the flag invisible from behind?

kuhnibert
Offline DzzD
« Reply #67 - Posted 2008-07-06 20:44:19 »

It's a really cool game. It's fun to play, but the track should be less boring.

you mean more object ? more jump ?

One Question: Why is the flag invisible from behind?

I done the road 3d modeling and that's not the thing I am the best in, I think this is the main reason Smiley

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #68 - Posted 2008-07-07 20:23:03 »

Runs great!

Maybe an idea to turn this into a game is to capture a bit the feel of 'Stunt Car Racer' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_Car_Racer):
Elevated rollercoaster-like tracks with (somtimes insane) jumps, computer controlled cars, have the car put back on the track if it falls off the track, maybe 1st person view.

I also feel that if you turn fast in high speeds, the car should skid.

Offline viwoj

Senior Newbie

« Reply #69 - Posted 2008-08-05 10:41:32 »

I agree

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #70 - Posted 2008-09-29 01:40:41 »

long time I did not works on that project, so, just to say that it is not a dead project

Elevated rollercoaster-like tracks with (somtimes insane) jumps, computer controlled cars, have the car put back on the track if it falls off the track, maybe 1st person view.

I also feel that if you turn fast in high speeds, the car should skid.

thanks for all those idea, NB.: I dont find that 1st person view is so fun but in case of, it will be an option up to the player.

the image joined is a fun accident I had while debugging tonight Grin.

I hope to have enought time to bring out a new demmo soon.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11

Game Engineer

« Reply #71 - Posted 2008-09-29 04:23:16 »

Hm I get this weird blitting in the middle of the screen and I can drive upside down.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline DzzD
« Reply #72 - Posted 2009-04-08 22:30:53 »

alive!

a little update.... what's new ? nothing except it use the current API (and then it have a bug on normal mapping... too bad..) but the code looks a little cleaner now and that's the interresting part of this update wich is more to announce this demo opensourcing in the comming weeks

http://demo.dzzd.net/Racer3D/Racer3D.html

Offline gouessej
« Reply #73 - Posted 2009-04-09 07:00:15 »

Excellent demo Cheesy

Offline Daniel_F

Projects: 2

Java games rock!

« Reply #74 - Posted 2009-04-09 10:57:03 »

Very nice, reminds me the old DOS game Terep2

Maybe slow down the car, I think its too fast to control.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #75 - Posted 2009-04-10 18:51:40 »

Maybe slow down the car, I think its too fast to control.

maybe you are right, but I've tried it sooo much than I  have a lot of training.

I will try to get some time to release source code next week, there is few line of code but there is still one classes that need to be polished before

Offline DzzD
« Reply #76 - Posted 2009-06-15 23:44:36 »

end of this thread,

Update 10 : new level & demo opensourced

-> Watch video

or

- >Try it online

the source code is still not fully optimised but yet enought short & understandable to be released so I am going to open a new thread on shared source code and end here this thread

Offline SimonH
« Reply #77 - Posted 2009-06-16 03:22:40 »

This looks good!

Unfortunately I just can't play it - the controls are too sensitive; simply staying on the road is really difficult.
Can you ease off the controls? I'd rather overshoot a corner than go off the road before I got to it!

Offline DzzD
« Reply #78 - Posted 2009-06-16 03:39:58 »

This looks good!

Unfortunately I just can't play it - the controls are too sensitive; simply staying on the road is really difficult.
Can you ease off the controls? I'd rather overshoot a corner than go off the road before I got to it!

thanks for feedback, you are probably right as I am really an expert now for controlling this car, maybe slowing down a little the game speed will do the job ? (I already slow down speed from 10ms to 15ms step between logic from previous version as there was some feebacks it was too hard to play).

maybe you can try to change this rate yourself if you want Smiley ( the value to modify is in MainGame.java : logicRateMillis or something like that, just need the applet jars in javac classpath to compil )

also I have put all 3d in separated files rather than in only one big 3ds to make it easier to test different cars or tracks

Offline SimonH
« Reply #79 - Posted 2009-06-16 03:54:58 »

thanks for feedback, you are probably right as I am really an expert now for controlling this car, maybe slowing down a little the game speed will do the job ? (I already slow down speed from 10ms to 15ms step between logic from previous version as there was some feebacks it was too hard to play).

maybe you can try to change this rate yourself if you want Smiley ( the value to modify is in MainGame.java : logicRateMillis or something like that, just need the applet jars in javac classpath to compil )

also I have put all 3d in separated files rather than in only one big 3ds to make it easier to test different cars or tracks

Yah, too easy to get too good at your own game!  Grin

Don't change the frame rate, change the turn delta for steering - I'd love to play around with the source code - uh, where is it?

Offline DzzD
« Reply #80 - Posted 2009-06-16 04:00:15 »

Yah, too easy to get too good at your own game! 

hehe sure it is

Don't change the frame rate, change the turn delta for steering

nono, this is just the logic rate this wont affect the framerate (framerate is not really controled in this version, it just run as fast as it can)

I'd love to play around with the source code - uh, where is it?

there is a link to the zip just below the applet

Offline SimonH
« Reply #81 - Posted 2009-06-16 04:42:19 »

K, got it working!

In Car.java I changed
if(this.turnRight) this.turn+=0.01; // was: 0.03
if(this.speed<=0) this.speed=maxSpeed*0.03; // was: 0.1;

And it was much better, but still quite hard...

The physics is a little strange; even with my changes, if you try going round the course slowly (like you were driving a real car) you'll see it behaves oddly, like there's no friction with the road?

Also, when I go upside down I have to restart the applet!  Undecided

Offline DzzD
« Reply #82 - Posted 2009-06-16 10:56:05 »

The physics is a little strange; even with my changes, if you try going round the course slowly (like you were driving a real car) you'll see it behaves oddly, like there's no friction with the road?

there are some kind of friction with road, it is the grip attribute : 1.0 means no grip ( try this it can be fun you will drive like on ice ) and lesser value mean more grip

with the initial setting the controls act like an old racing game on PSP but I cant remember its name... basically you only have to turn a lot at the start of the turn and release the direction key before the end of the turn (the car then should slowly stop turning)

Offline DzzD
« Reply #83 - Posted 2009-06-17 21:03:02 »

seems that  there can be some issue with blender 3ds exported model, so if you plan to use this software to modify some object or create new tracks you may have a look to the following thread and download the fixed 3ds loader (to rebuild the dzzd.jat) or the lastest build of the 3DzzD API jar using the new loader (both are available in the zipped file on the thread) http://forum.dzzd.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=358&start=15

Offline SimonH
« Reply #84 - Posted 2009-06-18 16:27:32 »

I've just been tinkering with the physics to try and get a 'nice' driving experience and boy is it difficult! You get the acceleration feeling good & the cornering gets awkward, fix the cornering & the acceleration goes sluggish...
Good bit of software - ideal for testing these things!

Offline DzzD
« Reply #85 - Posted 2009-07-05 19:45:05 »

thanks,

NB about the physics : the physic engine come from a very basic idea (kind of constrained sphere) but seems to magically respect a lot of physics law that I really never tought it will be able to, one interresting law it respect is the giroscopic effect of an object rotating in the air.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #86 - Posted 2009-10-17 22:02:40 »

a new update, just for fun Smiley, improved physics, still a cupple of bugs but now you should be able to get up when car is up side down

Click here to start

( note that unfortunatly, this demo and further one sources code wont be release )

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #87 - Posted 2009-10-17 23:24:35 »

software version works great, smooth and fast. Enjoyable controls and do like the shine on the car. Could be turned into a cool little game with a bit more effort and some goals.

hardware version had problems running on my system, it starts but the car just flashes alot with missing polygons.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #88 - Posted 2009-10-17 23:30:28 »

thanks for testing

hardware version had problems running on my system, it starts but the car just flashes alot with missing polygons.

I got other report of the bug you mentionned, seems  that the hardware opengl states are not well handled and this make it work on some computer and not on other, i will investigate more on this

Offline Apo
« Reply #89 - Posted 2009-10-18 13:10:28 »

I really like it.
I tested the software version, and it works fast and smooth. The "game" reminds me of my old favorite game revolt. =)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  ignore  |  Print