Could we organise some sort of survery (web based?) to gather information about the users of the javagaming forums. e.g.
1. How long you've been programming java:
< 1 month, 2-3 months, 4-6 months, < 1 yr, 2-5 yrs, > 5 yrs
2. How do you rate yourself in each of the following? Also, how would you LIKE to be in each of the following?
(1 = don't really know what it is
2 = I understand the concepts
3 = I've used it, but didn't really know what I was doing
4 = I'm OK but still have a lot to learn
5 = I'm really comfortable with this, but there's lots of little bits I don't really know yet)
[ I'm not going to bother spelling these out here!]
- JOGL (..JOAL...JInput...LWJGL...Other game-dev libraries)
- 3D maths
- Aspect OP
- traditional networking (java.net.*)
- nio networking
- Collections (java.util.*)
- ..etc (I've listed those above just because they're ones that I would find helpful to know about an audience when writing articles - there are obviously many more worth knowing, and probably many better worth asking!)
3. How do you / did you learn java?
- web tutorials
- university / college / etc
- trial and error
4. Are you already employed / self-employed as:
- games developer
- java developer
Note: these might sound quite personal questions, but if they could be collected anonymously, or only presented in aggregate then there should be no privacy concerns. They can, however, be very useful (in aggregate!) in pitching an article.