Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Game Development Slowdown?  (Read 8344 times)
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #30 - Posted 2008-02-24 16:09:31 »

https://hdcookbook.dev.java.net/

http://sunfeedroom.sun.com/?fr_story=FRdamp241410&rf=bm

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline bienator

Senior Devvie

OutOfCoffeeException

« Reply #31 - Posted 2008-02-24 18:55:14 »

cool that's the interview I've searched for Smiley thanks

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #32 - Posted 2008-02-24 22:30:04 »

Although BDJ will obviously be limited in performance, if it's good enough to do simple games (like remakes of old classics) it still seems like a very interesting opportunity for us java developers once BluRay will become more mainstream (and the future of BR seems bright).
I mean, wouldn't it be cool to be able to buy a disc with good versions of the likes of Pacman, Tetris, Asteroids etc for any BluRay player?

As an aside, does anyone know if it possible to deliver BDJ content using DVD discs (or even CD)? I fear it's probably not, which would be a shame since the BluRay format seems such an overkill (both in cost and in capacity) for typical BDJ based games.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #33 - Posted 2008-02-24 23:10:16 »

heh yeah that would be a lot of casual games.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 15

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #34 - Posted 2008-02-24 23:33:38 »

heh yeah that would be a lot of casual games.

Perhaps even all of them  Grin

I do wonder if hollywood appreciates how much space 25/50gb realy is....
Sticking a single movie onto a 25gb disc is hideously wasteful, even at 1080p with hours of 'bonus' content (aka padding).
Though doing otherwise would obviously be financial suicide for the publishers.

By bloating their content they are also stuffing up any possible growth in the (legitimate) movie digital download market.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline ryanm

Senior Devvie

Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #35 - Posted 2008-02-25 00:29:12 »

Trying to control a game with a TV remote? Blech! Tongue

Most BR players will not be designed for playing games, and so control will be a high-latency, one-button-at-a-time affair. Goodbye asteroids, tetris, pacman et al. Hello, erm, solitaire?

Does anyone know how the input works on BDJ? Is the PS3 controller accessible?
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #36 - Posted 2008-02-25 02:44:28 »

Trying to control a game with a TV remote? Blech! Tongue

Most BR players will not be designed for playing games, and so control will be a high-latency, one-button-at-a-time affair. Goodbye asteroids, tetris, pacman et al. Hello, erm, solitaire?

Does anyone know how the input works on BDJ? Is the PS3 controller accessible?

actually if you look around they are shipping quite some games as bonus material I doubt if it would be that bad

Offline OverKill

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #37 - Posted 2008-02-25 08:07:33 »

Maybe I am being to pessimistic, but I have my doubts that the publishers will put extra content on their films if they are not going to earn anything out of it.
Padding is, in contrast, something they already have and can just dump it into the iso, but they would have to get the games developed extra for the title.

Also they might have to watch out for rights issues as the rights for making a game for a film might already be sold to someone else.

Also, as mentioned, a casual game or twenty on a blueray is slightly wastefull.

What might be a better attack point would be the player & disk vendors.
So f.i., say Sony, shipped a BlueRay containing films and games along with their BR-player.

They will also not try to put to much effort into it as the more games comming out on BlueRays, the potentially less PSX buyers they have.
Then again, that could be interesting for other comps.

If, as bleb said, the latency is high, then that would not be good.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #38 - Posted 2008-02-25 11:33:42 »

BDJ appears to have *very* limited scope at the bottom line when it comes to "being interesting" for any of us. It's a curiosity. Without any kind of performance guarantee it's next to useless for actual real games like the ones we write.

Cas Smiley

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2008-02-25 12:59:31 »

I hope BD J is somewhat acceptable at this point for casual games.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4  Wink

If you have some 'killer'casual java games some duffus wil at some point think well what if we accelerate that BD-J and kablam we suddenly have a java game console pretty much everywhere. With respect to targetting platforms it might be cheep to target java and kaboom we are all suddenly writing games in java  Grin aaah dreams.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #40 - Posted 2008-02-25 15:10:10 »

BDJ appears to have *very* limited scope at the bottom line when it comes to "being interesting" for any of us. It's a curiosity. Without any kind of performance guarantee it's next to useless for actual real games like the ones we write.

Ye, and there is also the question how one should monetize that kind of thing. Selling BD images which the user has to burn himself? Guess not.

Approaching studios? Not really applicable for most people.

It's somewhat "gimmickally" interesting at best.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #41 - Posted 2008-02-25 15:18:04 »

Exactly - apart from the fact it's low powered, it is only of any interest whatsoever to the very very few programmers who write interactive menus for film studios with enough money to want to put stuff on Blu-Ray that doesn't actually add any real value. It's a tiny niche really. I'm sure someone will do something crazy and interesting with it but it's likely to make no money of its own.

Cas Smiley

Offline Jackal von ÖRF

Junior Devvie

« Reply #42 - Posted 2008-02-25 23:34:39 »

Approaching studios? Not really applicable for most people.

It would be enough for one person to approach one big studio. My vision is that we have a web site where game makers can publish their little BD games. The movie publisher would then bundle with the BD movies a collection of games from that site. For example each movie would have the all-time top 25 games and a bunch of new games (all games which were released during the last couple of months).

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (36 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (29 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (61 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (98 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (58 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (74 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (76 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (137 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (127 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (37 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org