Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Multiplayer top-down view shooter  (Read 17286 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-05-14 19:04:53 »

No I've given up on this project for now.

I did make a version of JBox2D that worked with my network code but it was pretty messy and caused big GC pauses so I ditched it.

Basically the problem is that it's too hard to save the state of objects (in other libraries) in a fast, low garbage way.
Bummer. I just played it again against bots and had fun. Of course, once I figured out how they work I schooled them. I don't like the controls being relative to the aimer too much - is there a way to move relative to the camera instead?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-05-14 20:35:16 »

oh nice, works well, with some better graphics this could turn out really nice.

I don't like the controls being relative to the aimer too much

agreed, controls are disorienting because the keys keep changing, better if the up button just moved you up and down moved you down, etc, instead of changing based on the direction you are facing.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-05-15 03:55:29 »

Ha ha, thanks guys. Yeah the controls are pretty hard the way they're relative to the mouse. Non-gamers/programmers have big trouble trying to play! The way you can't slide along walls sux too.

I plan to make a new (non-networked) one with better graphics soon. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print