Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  tiicoon - Multiplayer City Simulation  (Read 6662 times)
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Posted 2007-10-25 10:40:45 »

tiicoon - Multiplayer City Simulation to be...

Can you guys give me some feedback? Do you have any problems running the game?
Webstart: http://www.tiicoon.com/bigsecret/City.jnlp

Notes:
-No, it's not finished, that's why lots of stuff does not work as expected
-It's implemented with Swing. What frame rates do you get?

Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-10-25 11:16:39 »

some stuttering - bit no framerate is reported?
Looks very nice! definitely got potential! - any way to raise a large slab of land instead of single clicking ?

Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-10-25 14:40:58 »

Wow really nice  Smiley

I managed to rise/lower land. To "start" a test : 29.xxx framerate.
But when i put building, there is only the Police building that show up (any other build is only a red scare on the ground).

Screenshot

Spec :
- GPU : Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
- RAM : 512
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-10-25 17:11:23 »

Works fine! Beautiful! Nice job. There is only one strange thing : when the map moves, it doesn't move smoothly, it moves from a step. It is like the map moves 20 pixels by 20 pixels.

Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-10-25 18:38:18 »

any way to raise a large slab of land instead of single clicking?
raise a single cell to the desired level & then use "level" (multiple cells)...

But when i put building, there is only the Police building that show up (any other build is only a red scare on the ground).
correct, they are still in the works... however there's more if you create a "Business" - the business has farms, housing and other structures.

some stuttering - bit no framerate is reported?
go to the test mode and then click on the "Render Status"...

when the map moves, it doesn't move smoothly, it moves from a step. It is like the map moves 20 pixels by 20 pixels.
that's odd? maybe the timer is somewhat off broken? What computer are you using?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-10-25 19:25:26 »

Oh, I do love Webstart, makes it so trivial to try things out Smiley And that new instant starting JVM too!

Feels like about 30fps, using about 50% of my Athlon2500 CPU.

Cas Smiley

Offline JonathanC

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-10-25 19:39:42 »

Feels about 30 FPS here and takes up 20% of my dual core CPU.

Keep up the good work!

- Jon
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-10-25 19:44:33 »

30 fps, 15% cpu (c2d, E6750@3.2)

Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-10-26 07:33:34 »

WOW!

I'll give webstart a shot tonight... (it doesn't work here at work)
Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-10-26 10:20:50 »

Ok, I had a shot at it. Couldn't really do anything other than create a new 64x64 map.  Huh
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-10-26 10:28:54 »

Ok, I had a shot at it. Couldn't really do anything other than create a new 64x64 map.  Huh
Here we go:
1. Generate a terrain
2. Add entities for "City" + "Business"
3. Select the "City" and build some stuff
4. Select the "Business" and build some stuff
5. Click "Test"

Please note, it's just a demo. You are basically in the "editor" mode, there is no game-play as of yet...

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-10-26 12:20:53 »

Works well here dude, nice!!  Very smooth scrolling and it's great the way it drops you right in the game.   Smiley

The only thing is that I didn't really know what to do - the menus look a bit complicated.

Just out of interest, how did you do the Swing menus??

Offline g666

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-10-26 15:32:35 »

really nice looking. 30fps @ fullscreen @ 40%cpu here.

desperately seeking sanity
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-10-26 18:46:17 »

Actually, the game wouldn't start in "editor" mode (what it does now), so it would probably be a lot easier to get into it!

Regarding Swing: I used toggle buttons that create & show the corresponding panels. Nothing too fancy. As far as graphics go, I decided to create a custom look & feel and used images for certain parts such as panel borders. The look & feel turned out really easy by the way. If you use Swing, simply use the standard components JButton, JPanel, JLabel etc. and after change the corresponding ButtonUI, PanelUI etc. classes. I can post some look & feel code if anyone is interested? The documentation by Sun is extremely weak , but as it turns out, it's not difficult to get it up and running either.

My problem lies not so much with the technical side (I hope) but more with the game play in general! It's a multiplayer city simulation. What does that mean? I want to do it turn-based. How can you make a turn-based, multiplayer, city simulation? Any interesting ideas? I think it looks somewhat cool now. But I have a programmer's block however on how to continue Huh

Offline gouessej
« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-10-27 09:32:00 »

I can post some look & feel code if anyone is interested?
Yes it is interesting even though Swing isn't thread safe. It would be more interesting if you released all the source code on my view, your code could be reused in other projects, you don't imagine what it could permit. The look&feel of your game is impressive, thin, really beautiful, like a professional application in some aspects. Even the software on which I have programmed at work (which has plenty of windows, panels, menus, sub menus...) has a "flat" appearance in comparison with your game. I hope the full GUI of your game will be so  well-kept.

Offline g666

« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-10-28 22:46:12 »

My problem lies not so much with the technical side (I hope) but more with the game play in general! It's a multiplayer city simulation. What does that mean? I want to do it turn-based. How can you make a turn-based, multiplayer, city simulation? Any interesting ideas? I think it looks somewhat cool now. But I have a programmer's block however on how to continue Huh

perhaps you make you choices about what you want to happen - raise taxes, lay out some plans for new buildings etc then the buildings get built in real time, but you can only  make changes again the next day or whatever amount of time. just an idea anyway.

desperately seeking sanity
Offline kilvati

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-10-29 16:05:59 »

Yes, that would be a good idea, a game that keeps going in a steady tempo. I think this type of games has a lot of potential because they might work slightly addictive.

You can base your busness model (if you want to make some bucks) on montly payments.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his live.
Offline javatypo

« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-11-13 20:28:14 »

Hey,

Wow, that is a great game.

Everything worked great for me, i had no problems with the scrolling of the map, it scrolled along nice and smooth.

I was able to start a map, and then build roads and mines and things around.

To make it a multiplayer city simulation, you would need some sort of competition against other cities. Heh, without going for the old "build an army and kill the other cities" i dont really have any ideas in terms of making multiplayer have any point to it.
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-11-13 23:17:45 »

i dont really have any ideas in terms of making multiplayer have any point to it.
yes, that's the problem: I don't have a clue either  Huh  Huh  Huh

Offline Evil-Devil

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-11-15 10:46:04 »

Looks great, I'll give it a try when I'm home.

@Multiplayer idea:
Limited resources per map that need to be exchanged for further city grow.
Random events like festivals, theme parks, etc which will be offered to all cities and the player who reaches the event goals first will get that event for his city.
Neighbor attraction buildings to make the others ppl move into your city.

just some thoughts ^^
Offline kilvati

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-11-16 16:23:11 »

My short suggestion for this game:
All playes play on the same map, where there is a little village in the start.
This village is owned by "the computer" players can bid on land. The highest bidder wins and can build on this land what he wants. Some pieces of the map have a higher start price for the bidding while other have a market driven price.
Players can earn money by renting out the houses they build, selling the gas they mined, or even selling their propperty to another player.

I have this thought out a little better inside my head, but no time to type it out, if you are interrested, I will try to see if can make time to type it out further.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his live.
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #21 - Posted 2008-02-22 18:49:12 »

OK - I got another version ready for testing  Grin
http://www.tiicoon.com/bigsecret/City.jnlp

I am aware it's somewhat difficult to understand, so please read through the basic description below. Also note, some of the graphics are still missing (don't get confused).

Comments?

Basic Instructions:
When you start the game via link from above, you find yourself in the EDITOR mode! It's designed to add/remove players as well as to create scenarios etc.

Press the "Test" button to enter the GAME mode. Once you are in the game mode, the game has started :---) Here is how it goes:
0) buy land to build on
a) obviously your goal is to build a town and MAKE money
b) add housing for people to live in
c) add structures that generate electric & water
d) add structures that produce/mine items
e) add headquarters which will manage the item flow
f) add structures to sell foods & goods back to the people
g) link the structures together via headquarters (otherwise no
items will be transported)
h) don't forget streets, so people can actually go to work, items can
be transported and people can shop.

I pretty much implemented the city/world dynamics already! The goal is to keep the ITEMs flowing. If you do it right, you will make more money selling items than it will cost you to produce them. There is a "finance panel" where you can see your item input/output. It also shows other income/expenses. Please note, although the system works, it needs LOTS of tweaking still. Sorry, it's not finished yet.

Offline irrisor

« Reply #22 - Posted 2008-02-23 16:37:14 »

Hey, you've done a good job! It really playable. Takes a while to get everything going and resources are way too high, but it's fun.

It's very hard to make money if you want to have all your people occupied. If you don't care about unemployed people you can make money easily. Having 20.000 people and just 2.000 jobs you make millions every days Cheesy . . . that's where the tuning could start . . .
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

« Reply #23 - Posted 2008-02-23 21:05:35 »

Yeah  Grin  The plan is that only people that have a job actually pay rent! Will get to that!

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print