games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  MMORPG help!  (Read 3610 times)
the_jogler
« Posted 2007-09-01 09:23:54 »

I was just wondering, how does an MMORPG relate the items in the 3D universe to the abstract pieces of code called objects? For example, let's say I have a cube on the ground in the 3D universe. And "cube" is worth 10 dollars at the store. So, "cube" would have a variable named "value" and it's value would be 10. Now, when I write the code for the object itself, where would I put the 3D code? I mean, what relates the code to the otherwise random cube on the screen? I mean, is there a piece of code inside my "cube" class that says "The cube on the screen is related to this object." There may be a very simple answer to this question, I don't know. It's very late (early?) here and maybe I'm just tired, but I thought I'd post anyway. Thanks! ^_^
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 45

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-09-01 12:43:09 »

It depends on the design of your game. You will probably want to separate the entities from the graphical representation. In your example this would mean, you have a "Crate" class (the entity) that has the value property and a "Cube" class (the representation) that has an appearance and is for displaying the Crate on screen. Depending on what you want to do with this objects either the Crate needs a reference to the Cube or the Cube to the Crate ... or both to each other.

The problem is, that this kind of question is about software design, which is a field you need instinct, knowledge and experience (try looking at other's source code and understand the concepts)

I would advice you to buy some good books. I heard Killer Game Programming in Java might be a good headstart.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
the_jogler
« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-09-01 19:25:04 »

Yes, I've been eyeing that book for a while now. Tongue But unfortunately, money is tight right now, so I've been trying to do things on my own.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kaosnkorruption

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-09-01 19:57:24 »

I would suggest learning quite a bit more about Object Oriented Programming, as your other thread in the Newless Clubies section would indicate your knowledge is rather lacking at the moment.  Before you can jump into any kind of programming, (or try to create a MMORPG) you really need to understand, at the very least, the basic mechanics of programming.  You can't jump from the Hello World application to a MMORPG.
the_jogler
« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-09-01 21:40:17 »

I haven't been trying to make an MMORPG, just see if I could reproduce parts of other ones; just as practice. You know, for fun.
Offline keldon85

Medals: 1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-09-02 08:18:30 »

Stop worrying about the MMORPG; RPG's are hard enough already. In fact it takes a team of professionals with years of experience several months to get any *real* progress, so first learn programming and worry about this later. Just keep the MMORPG as an end goal to all of this.

Offline dapy
« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-09-02 10:57:30 »

The author of Killer Game Programming in Java has generously made draft versions of the book's chapters available online here.
the_jogler
« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-09-03 05:04:16 »

I know it's probably almost defnitely never going to become an actual game, but without any hope or optimism, how do you think other games were created? If I just say, "I'm never going to be able to do this." then of course I won't, because I don't have the determination and persistence. Sometimes you need to shoot for the sky. I'm not trying to (I'm aiming more at the horizon Tongue) but I'm just messing around with 3D and stuff like that. YES, I know I post a lot of n00by questions in the Newless Cluebies forum, but those are things that always bugged me that I had to ask, especially that return statement one. I never really though about it until now, so I asked.
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-09-03 07:51:56 »

Maybe our statements weren't clear. We don't want you to loose your hope and optimism, we just want to guide you to an easier path. It would be so much more rewarding for you to start out with simple games and actually finish them to build enough experience to really get a bigger project going than to poke at a nut that's too hard to crack (at the moment).

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-09-03 12:39:38 »

Definitely check out the online chapters of Killer Game Programming in Java, as suggested. It's excellently written, and  will answer many of your questions, although it's obviously not a MMORPG tutorial.

Although I agree that beginning with a 3D MMORPG is quite a safe bet of never finishing it, there's nothing wrong with still going ahead to learn about the techniques involved in creating such a thing. It seems you're realistic enough to realize that its impossible to pull off by yourself (or probably anyone by himself).

If you just want to learn about 3D MMORPGs, by all means go ahead. But you'll have to get way beyond the basic constructs of a language before even considering to start writing the MMORPG, because the language is the easy part.
If you actually want to write a game, then start with Asteroids or something Smiley

I wouldn't even consider writing a 3D MMORPG myself, because I know it's impossible for me to do alone and I'd just get frustrated. It'd be like attempting to build a space shuttle just after having learned how to replace spark plugs in a car.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline JAW

Medals: 2

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-09-19 13:08:34 »

Have no money? I bought my books second hand, its cheaper. Totally no money? Well I know a good basic java book online, but its in german. But I bet you can find a book in english, too.

Second, try this: http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/
Its completely online and better than nothing. But its advanced, you need basic Java knowledge first.

Additionally: There are some Java Programming Tutorials for simple games like pong or some space arcade stuff. They come in chapters and are easy to learn. I dont know the URLs but you can find them using google. At least spent some time researching.

In the end, YOU have to make a little game. Anything. Chess, Pong, a little Jump n Run or Shoot em Up. Anything. You will have a lot of questions answered by then. And there is no big difference between a spaceship bitmap on the screen and a 3d model. The basics remain similar.

Generally, your cube will have some sort of display information like a model, textures, etc. It will have a position, direction, maybe speed. Your rendering engine will then render the cube dependent on its position, direction and the current camera position. Object and visualisation have to be seperate. You object only contains object relevant information. In fact the cube object does not care much how it will be brought on the screen.

-JAW
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-09-20 09:28:36 »

But unfortunately, money is tight right now, so I've been trying to do things on my own.
I don't know where you live, but maybe you could lend a book in your public library?

Offline nomukun1138

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-12-02 00:05:35 »

Yes, the library is a good suggestion.  I've found many programming books at different experience levels, including Killer Java Game Programming.  It was a 2004 edition, if I remember correctly.  I live near Seattle, but I found great books even when I lived in Oklahoma City.  Most major libraries will ship books from anywhere in the area, so check the online catalogs.  There are also online tutorials (OOP, frames, threads, GUI at Sun's site, algorithms at Top Coder, and I think there are some here at JavaGaming.)
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (16 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (33 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (42 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (41 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (26 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (73 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org