Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  JOGL-Java3D Renderer Progress  (Read 5613 times)
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Posted 2003-08-08 00:13:25 »

Hi all, though I would post a quick snap of my renderer's progress and open a forum I will post to as I go along.

So far the renderer is traversing J3D graphs and rendering transforms, indexed geometry generated from several loaders I have.
Lighting, normals, UVs, texture loading and multitexture is working correctly. (sloppily skipped vertex colors... ;-))

Here is a snapshot of the world model we used in the fighter we showed at GDC 2002.  The left snaps are in the new JOGL viewer and the right are in the original Java3D viewer.  BTW, those are not "real" dynamic shadows, they are shadow texture maps generated in Maya :-)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-08-08 00:21:57 »

Those look great ^_^, keep up the good work man
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-08-08 04:02:57 »

Looks cool!  Grin

What sort of fps are you getting? In comparison to Java3Ds ?

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William

Junior Devvie

No Exit

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-08-08 05:32:14 »

Looks great. What do you see as the main difference between this and the Xith3D renderer?
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-08-08 10:42:19 »

Frame rates....We don't need no stinking frame rates....

Well, the renderer is embedded/called from a simple single pass graph traversal of an actually J3D graph, not a set of duplicate classes.  Because of this, there is no state sorting or management of any kind.  Which is bad for performance, but good for render correctness which is actually "the point".  My next step is to add simple view frustum culling against the hierarchy bounds to generate a render list instead of the "inlined" render traversal, however the example renderer will not change, other than step through the draw list that is split into opaque and transparent list so transparency can be done after opaque.

This is pretty much the slowest way to render (each shape3D sets a complete geometry and render state) but ideally the most render error-free.  For J3D render compliance this will be the base-line implementation.  This renderer will look exactly like the same J3D graph except for intentional differences. There are many J3D features that our group is never planning to implement, but released in this form perhaps the community will add those they want if they choose, as we will also as time goes by.

Once we have a good base-line, then a new in-game performance renderer will be developed based on conforming to the render correctness of this engine.
Long ago I wrote the OpenFLT loader for Java3D, which we recently reposted and begun maintaining again.  One thing that really bothered me about the SGI Performer/FLT loader was that the colors and materials weren't EXACTLY the same as modeled in Creator and was incredibly frustating.  This was the fault of the loader not Creator I came to find out later.  So when I started writing the Java3D FLT loader, I took extra care to make absolutely sure that materials in Creator looked pixel perfect in Java3D.  Lots and lots of test models and there was some material munching I had to do to make it happen.  But it was very much worth it for the artist because before they would over-spend HOURS making changes in Creator so that Performer run-time would look how they intended.   This base-line renderer is meant to provide the same level of correctness going from current J3D scenes to JOGL and can be used to test other JOGL based engines content rendering.  For example. on the same machine,  for the same view configuration and loaded model and screen rez, a snapshot SHOULD be a perfect pixle copy.  A quick image add/sub in PhotoShop can find any differences and help sort it out.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-08-13 13:42:23 »

Hi all,
Latest update...
Not a lot of talk right now, it's rest time.
I got quite an ass-kicking setting this one up but here it is.
Shadow Buffers (texgen/register combiners/mult-texure/CopyTex-render to texture) + vertex buffers from Java3D scene graph. (whew)
The Hulk model is just an example model my best artist made for fun for testing.
More explanation later :-)

Made mod to newer image.  This shows the old light map textures AND the new dynamic shadow buffer maps on the ground.  This could be confusing, but I used this model to make sure multitexture with shadow buffer blending was working and to see how different  the dynamic light frustum shadows are from the generated light maps.  Getting shadow buffers to look like global/sun shadows will be interesting I'm sure! Also, my textures are not alpha yet, so the shadows are columns not the vented columns they should be....

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline DavidYazel

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-08-13 14:37:07 »

Very nice looking!

David Yazel
Xith3D Project Founder
http://xith3d.dev.java.net

It may look complicated, but in the end it is just a bunch of triangles
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-08-13 18:25:30 »

Thanks!
I would love to post the runnable, but I am using my own hacked JOGL build right now that enables vertex buffers.
As soon as there is an official JOGL build with them, I'll try to set up a web-start demo on our site.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-08-14 05:53:16 »

Nice Smiley So when you say shadow buffers, is that shadow maps? The whole render from the lights point of view and depth compare method?

The edges look *very* sharp, what kind of huge resolution are you using for the shadow map texture?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-08-14 09:00:39 »

Here is the one of the papers and demo/source I used to work with.  This does render the depth texture and does do the per pixel depth compare, however, using register combiners makes it more like a pipeline configuration than a "pixer-shader" IMHO.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/shadow_mapping.html

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/Shadow_Map.html

The depth texture I am rendering is 512x512 which is a bit large but for cards with the hardware it still screams.  Kevglass asked about FPS before and was joking somewhat when I said I didn't care.  FPS is secondary to getting the render good and implementing special render and shader techniques like this.  However, we do want it fast enough to actually use in games, we are just expecting to use current mid-level and up 3D hardware from here on out which does support these hardware features. (Think GDC 2004-level ;-))

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-08-19 09:42:39 »

Finally set up alpha textures...
And then alpha shadows, which was a bit of side fun since rendering the depth map also must mask out alpha part from the depth write :-)
Anyway, here's a snap.

The vented columns are alpha textures.
Notice they cast correct vented shadows everywhere AND on each other.
4 rendering stages just for the set up, then the texture combiners grid through combining it all.
Hardware is amazing ;-)

(note: rendering alpha after opaque, but no inter-alpha sorting yet)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-08-19 09:50:15 »

Wouldn't it be a better choice to replace shadow maps with  stencil ones? I mean I'm noticing some very obvious aliasing on the edges of the coils' shadows.
Good work btw Smiley
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-08-19 09:59:18 »

I'm not sure what you mean...
Do you mean use a stencil made texture for the shadow instead of a depth map?  As far as the depth map technique, you have to have a depth texture to compare against the actual depth to know what is in shadow...Even if you did use a stencil texture, it would have the same aliasing....
I dont' think I understand your suggestion, please explain :-)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-08-19 11:03:42 »

Wouldn't it be a better choice to replace shadow maps with  stencil ones? I mean I'm noticing some very obvious aliasing on the edges of the coils' shadows.
Good work btw Smiley

If you mean switching from shadow maps to shadow volumes, then thats not really a good idea. Getting alpha tested geometry to work with shadow volumes is nigh on impossible Sad And theres so many neat tricks with alpha testing that I'd count that as a major limitation.

We're going to see shadow maps becomming the standard soon anyway, at the moment the only thing holding them back is the fact that point light sources are just too damn expensive...

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-08-19 11:20:13 »

Yes, true point light source = 6 (cubic) Shadow Map passes (gulp!).  Not to mention sorting out the layers for objects that cross the cube edges (fagetaboutit!).

We will be using only the one above to create "directional" light shadows so everything is shadowed at least from that one set up.  Other ligthing special effects such as weapons or magic, will be dealt with on a individual basis for the near future.

But.... count on cubic shadow map support as a future feature because as you say, it is the future way to go.
Such a nice (brute-force) complete shadow method...

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline DavidYazel

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-08-19 11:45:50 »

I need to learn this technique.  I must admit there are many things about stencil shadows I don't like.  The funny thing was I thought shadow maps were too expensive for moving objects and too high on texture memory...is this some new variation?  Is this a good all purpose shadowing technique?

David Yazel
Xith3D Project Founder

Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-08-19 12:24:00 »

As long as you have hardware support, it cooks.
The major cost after that is that you render everything multple times.

1: Render from light view - anything that casts shadows (no color though, but alpha test for alpha texture objects)

2: TexGen depth map onto entire scene (or whatever you want to receive shadows ) so that's a new set of UVs for everything.

3: Config texture combiners ( or pixel shader soon ) and render the scene for the view, taking care to shift for multi-texture layers.

For both, I just render the entire view scene so shadows are complete.
So the big cost is pixel fill however...
If you use DrawArrays or Elements and it is not pre-binded (i.e. moved to the cards) it is gonna cost you in geometry transfer too.  That is why I hacked my JOGL version to support Vertex Buffers first thing, so all my static geometry is on the card for best possible performance.  It these kind of improvements that give so much more gain over the nit-picking draw list and scene traversal optimizations, IMHO

BTW, I'm sure we'll be able to exchange some goodies between this and Xith once I have some "cleaner" code. :-)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline DavidYazel

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2003-08-19 12:47:52 »

Yeah I really need support for vertex buffers.  I added some object level profiling to Xith3D and found I was spending 30 percent of rendering time on trees, but only 9 percent on all the terrain combined.  I am sorting and binding only when I need to, but really, sending the geometry over on every frame is just unnecessry in many cases.. caching it on the card would be just awsome.

David Yazel
Xith3D Project Founder

Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #18 - Posted 2003-08-19 14:57:25 »

I was speaking of shadow volumes as someone else mentioned it, sorry for not expressing my point clearly enough.
I like shadow volumes because "I" think they're the easiest to implement right after the cheap, uni-plan shadows (casting a shadow on a flat surface by projecting the model's triangles onto it).
One of my concerns however is when the camera gets into the shadow volume or when the latter is capped by the near plan as artifacts will appear and ruin your scene for sure.
I read what John Carmack (my hero Tongue) had to say about the said issue and I'm in the process of implenenting his "reverse" method.
I read that shadow maps take two passes the first being rendered from the light source to evaluate depth first, and then applying the shadow maps depending on the z in the depth buffer.
Well that's cool and somehow fast if you use small shadow maps (256*256) and don't intend to make your light source a point.
Pixar (toy story) uses shadow maps of 4k to get rid of the aliasing but I don't think that any modern hardware can support textures over 2048*2048.
Anyways I must run see ya
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2003-08-19 15:43:09 »

Java Cool Dude,
I highly recommend downloading the demos/paper I posted in this forum earlier.
Once you see the demo run you may be able to make your decision if you like it or not.

I will say, it was quite "challenging" to set up for a general scene graph, not just a quick demo.
However, we believe it to be THE solution and aren't looking back Cheesy

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Devvie

Java forever

« Reply #20 - Posted 2003-08-19 19:12:54 »

Java Cool Dude,
I highly recommend downloading the demos/paper I posted in this forum earlier.
Once you see the demo run you may be able to make your decision if you like it or not.

I will say, it was quite "challenging" to set up for a general scene graph, not just a quick demo.
However, we believe it to be THE solution and aren't looking back Cheesy

I will do that Smiley
Again great Job ^_^
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #21 - Posted 2003-08-30 21:32:23 »

Lastest update.
I ported/intergrated our character animation engine that was developed for the Java3D fighter (shown at GDC 2002).
The larger meanging of this is that the render engine now supports VBO's for static geometry and regular vertexPointer/drawElements/immediate across the bus geometry, needed for character animation, particles etc. working together.

Funny thing is, in the end I use one single gl draw call, glDrawElements in the ENTIRE renderer! (bindBuffers determines the meaning of the call)

Anyway here's a snapshot of the character animated, self shadowed, etc.

BTW, his foot IS in the ground, there's no collision system in this yet, so it's just poor load/positioning on my part.:-)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2003-09-08 17:46:25 »

Two new snaps of the progress.

Set up shadow frustum to be ortho or perspective depending on the point or directional light.  For out door lighting, the shadows should be form a directional light source, but most of the shadow buffer demos use point light and perspective projections.  It was a simple enough change to ortho frustum.

Added skybox support (which real jazzes up the shots), similiar to Java3D "Background" node, but specifically a 6 sided, texture camera centered box.  Java3D allows for any graph as a background, this is only pictures, which is all we used it for...

[mod]
Also added FPS counter - this scene with the animated monk is running around ~60hz on a GeForce Quadro4 700 XGL (older Quadro) and AMD 1.6 GHz.  With shadows off, it's running at ~150 FPS.

One error in this snapshot is that the towers aren't shaded (in the model they have no normals because we used static light maps for shading) so the back sides you can see here are bright and have shadow rings, but it would be all ambient lit and thus the shadows would blend away correctly if it had the correct normals.

Almost feature complete (+better shadows) for what we used Java3D for in our fighting game demo.  Cheesy

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2003-11-18 19:17:38 »

Thread moved...
All new information will be posted at:http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=jogl;action=display;num=1069188165

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (33 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (23 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (45 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (59 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (59 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (123 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org