News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Carmack did it again  (Read 5923 times)
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Posted 2007-08-04 09:04:58 »

And as far as Java is concerned, he called it a "good attempt at making something run at a tenth of the speed it should."

Of course he was taking about Java on mobile phones on the QuakeCon 2007..
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 832
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-08-04 10:20:51 »

I know this sounds weird, but he's not that far off though...

With the lack of SIMD support, we run up to factor 4 slower for vector-math with the last generation of x86 CPUs.

My RFE got closed, and I didn't notice any major boost in 6u2, which according to this other RFE should have happened. (Right?)

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-08-04 10:33:39 »

I see what they're saying in regards to possible architecture differences, but it is important for multimedia applications. And when using the pipeline well you get even greater performance gains, for example alpha blending is much more than 4 times faster when the pipeline is utilized well.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-08-04 15:22:26 »

good point Riven,

but do you think more than 50% of CPU consuming code in a game uses SMID? Otherwise the factor should shrink..

Anyway, I also would prefer hotspot using SMID instructions wherever possible/useful instead of having an API. There reason are:

• I'm lazy: even there is only a speed up of 2x for a dedicated method and I could have achieved 4x with the API, it is likely that I also get an improvement in others places, I would not have used SMID calls explicitly..
  • Such an API probably changes frequently, which is why it is not a good idea to put it in the core library.*

*game developers usually don't care, because most changes after one is done are bug-fixes, so one can stick to the old one (like DirectX) - that's why IMHO a temporary API com.sun.xxx would be great.

Regarding the "other RFE":

I remember asking about the details on a java.net hosted blog (sorry don't rember which one):

IIRC it was a documentation bug, more precise: one of the jvm developers identified a single/few circumstances where SMID can be used and did an implementation. Afterwards, he/she filled the rfe, to document his/her work. This is a step in the right direction, but yet far away from trying to use SMIDs instruction wherever possible - which is what the title may suggest.
Offline brackeen

Junior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-08-04 18:56:47 »

Carmack's mainly talking about array access - instead of using MIDP's image rendering routines, a 3D game on MIDP 2 (without OpenGL, etc) need to draw each pixel one at a time by setting a value in an array, and the copying that array to display memory. There's two slow things here:

1. A null check and a array bounds check every time you set a value in an array. Slow! HotSpot can sometimes eliminate those checks, but the VMs on these mobile devices aren't that great.
2. For MIDP 2, first you've got to render to a 24-bit color array, and then call the drawRGB() method, which converts the aarray to whatever color format the device uses - which is usually 16-bit color. Color conversion? Slow!

Compared to the original DOOM, which wrote pixel data directly to VGA memory, the MIDP way of doing things is, indeed, slow.
Offline zingbat

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-08-05 23:04:31 »

Anyway, I also would prefer hotspot using SMID instructions wherever possible/useful instead of having an API.

Speaking in general and not just for mobile games, it would be much more useful if the Java language supported vectors and matrices as primitive data types, but we know that will never happen.
Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-08-06 07:42:18 »

In the long run (and possibly the next 5-10 years) it would probably become obsolete for most of its uses when processors are more like the cell - with multiple SIMD processors. But for the current situation it is an issue!

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-08-06 11:04:10 »

I think the gap will only widen, as there is no support for such technology in the generated bytecode.

This future is wrapping native libraries, I think.

Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-08-06 11:25:00 »

For the gap to continue to widen the programming complexity of applications would have to increase to be able to create a process where the time spent in logic corresponds to the increase in processing power of the hardware. I suspect that in the next 10 or so years our programming tasks are likely to involve more processing of data with less programming logic. The hardware is going that way, so maybe the programming approach will follow too.

But for the meantime until that change I do agree with wrapping native libraries, especially since that's just a possibility/idea.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-08-06 11:28:55 »

I think the gap will only widen, as there is no support for such technology in the generated bytecode.

Why would this (for example SIMD) support be needed in the generated bytecode in order to keep up, and not in the JIT? I'd say it's up to the JIT to use whatever technology is present in the hw...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-08-06 11:43:10 »

I've read some EA documents, stating how auto-vectorization completely failed performance wise - they invested six months in it, with a group of experts in the field. Even C/C++ compilers fail to get most out of SSE2 instructions. Compilers generating code near 80% of optimal was considered an utopia.

Seeing how long it took for the HotSpot JIT to reach the current level of performance, and how fragile it still is, causing you to hand-tune sourcecode by trial and error to optimize for a specific JIT (to squeeze out the last... 200%  Shocked, should we call it the SweetSpot JIT Wink), I'm fairly sure auto-vectorization will never ever be able to compete with hand-written instructions.

We're moving to stream-processing anyway, with kernels processing them.

Probably, in the future, we couldn't care less about SSE2 performance, as everything related to vector-math is executed on specialized chips anyway (GPU-like cores), like keldon85 mentions

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-08-06 15:36:29 »

six months at ea doesn't impress me tbh.

feature x will probebly never be able to compete with hand-written instructions, where have I heared that before?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-08-06 15:45:50 »

six months at ea doesn't impress me tbh.

feature x will probebly never be able to compete with hand-written instructions, where have I heared that before?
It still doesn't Smiley Of course the amount of places where that matters is shrinking due to complexity. The time critical tasks of today are no more complex than they were 20 years ago, so the speed gain benefits offered from lower level optimisations drops every couple of years. That is why I talk of the long term, I mean I've spent some time coding for the GBA and you don't even want to touch garbage collection, generalization or dynamic type casting because it shatters your speed. One assembler written in assembler compiles much quicker than anything written in C, and his search speeds trample on everything the commercial (C) world has to offer - not because he optimized heavily but because he was able to make better decisions.

Also the size of programs has grown too large for a complete assembler solution to be viable; the same can be said for C, and maybe soon C++!

It's like scripting languages, you just wouldn't code your ray caster in one but game logic is fine!

Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-08-07 19:15:41 »

Getting off the high horse, we could go the "Mono way": SIMD support in Mono

I like their way of bytecode - to - GL(SL) conversion with attributes (annotations).

[edit] asm looks like cool library doing this in java [/edit]
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-08-07 19:57:33 »

I beleave there was a java.net project that reconised certain patterns(you could also help it along) and optimise the hell out of them, I was gonna fiddle with it, but I can't seem to find the bookmark :/

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline bitshit

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-08-10 19:06:13 »

Getting off the high horse, we could go the "Mono way": SIMD support in Mono

I like their way of bytecode - to - GL(SL) conversion with attributes (annotations).

[edit] asm looks like cool library doing this in java [/edit]

Hmmm how could that library help? From what I understand it compiles javasource to bytecode? For SIMD or other lowlevel stuff the JVM would need to support it, or you mean by redirecting specific calls to a JNI library?

I beleave there was a java.net project that reconised certain patterns(you could also help it along) and optimise the hell out of them, I was gonna fiddle with it, but I can't seem to find the bookmark :/

Sounds interesting! Maybe you can remember a name or other reference? Would like to try it out too!
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-08-11 00:34:33 »

Hmmm how could that library help? From what I understand it compiles javasource to bytecode? For SIMD or other lowlevel stuff the JVM would need to support it, or you mean by redirecting specific calls to a JNI library?

yes redirecting can be done, if could one usees certain instructions/library calls.
Offline bitshit

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-08-11 10:54:29 »

But wouldn't the JNI calls give to much overhead for just vector operations to be worthwhile? Or are there any projects already taking this approach?
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-08-11 11:27:32 »

You are absolutely right. To replace single instructions by JNI calls would be many times slower.

Either the JVM should be modified, or quite large pieces of code would be natively compiled into a DLL (at runtime) so you'd need to ship a C/C++ compiler.

Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-08-11 23:33:39 »

I never talked about many JNI calls

the idea is if the method uses only certain instructions and apis (with vectors4 and matrix4x4), it can an intermediate, pre-compiled language like GLSL, a JNI lib (e.g. jogl) can execute the code instead of the java one. Of course you can build your own simple vector language and with compiler using SIMD and a JN-lib to compile and call the script.

=> Fully cross platform, scales with time.

using instrumentation (and asm) you can easily extract the method's code, transform and replace it ..

instrumentation can be used each time a vm starts or as a compile step.

in the first case, a c++/glsl/.. compiler is needed on the users pc, but one can do additional optimizatiosn as one knows the exact cpu (#cores, instructions set,..)
in the latter one, you simply put multiple versions up: e.g. standard, intel-performance-pack, opengl-pack, ..

Offline bitshit

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-08-12 19:55:59 »

But these methods you compile to native code, these still need to be called regulary through JNI at some point during execution... Fx when working with vectors this tends to be scattered all through the source... Could you explain why there wouldn't be many JNI calls that way?
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #21 - Posted 2007-08-12 20:58:08 »

using instrumentation (and asm) you can easily extract the method's code, transform and replace it ..

I think this is an unrealistic expectation.

The moment there is 1 method-call or object-field reference within the bytecode, which (return)value can change any time, it's basicly impossible to port it to GLSL and extremely hard to port to native code.

You'd really need a Domain Specific Language to truely transform to vector-math. Doing it on the GPU adds a significant overhead of copying the data back and forth all the time, so even when the transformer is there, you'd have to specificly design your code around it, instead of trying to find patterns in existing bytecode.

Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2007-08-12 21:04:16 »

don't think at the micro level.

I'm NOT talking about translating a single math API call to JNI, like vector4.add(vecto4 right), but about a methods using such an API to be compiled to a single native method using SIMD.
For example a method performing vertex blending: it's likely to iterate over say 2k-50k vectors each transformed by 1-4matrices for a single virtual character - that's when its worth to use SIMD.

Now we agreed that translating custom byte code to a native function using SIMD is very difficult (even for SUN people :-)),. However, things become much easier if the method only contains operations on primitive types, no method calls except to a special math-lib and no or only selected control flow constructs,.. (the more restrictions, the easier it is ;-))
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Hand over your head.

« Reply #23 - Posted 2007-08-12 21:12:16 »

I'm not thinking at the micro-level.

All the above is still next to impossible. Everything should be put into arrays or buffers (no objects anywhere) before this would have a chance. If one is making such an effort, he can as well port it himself. bytecode analysis and transformation won't get you anywhere, because traversing all those (dynamic) object-references with random pointers, is a horrendous datastructure for SIMD related code.

Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #24 - Posted 2007-08-12 21:17:16 »

I think this is an unrealistic expectation.

The moment there is 1 method-call or object-field reference within the bytecode, which (return)value can change any time, it's basicly impossible to port it to GLSL and extremely hard to port to native code.

You'd really need a Domain Specific Language to truely transform to vector-math. Doing it on the GPU adds a significant overhead of copying the data back and forth all the time, so even when the transformer is there, you'd have to specificly design your code around it, instead of trying to find patterns in existing bytecode.

Actually, I'd prefer a DSL for vecmath. In principle that's also what it is, but embedded in Java. This has the advantage that the programmer doesn't need to call things like 'execute(VecMathProg). On the other hand Java doesn't allow to embed it nicely: no operator overloading, implicit casts).

However, it would be easier to translate a DSL created upon Groovy (or Scala) to a native function, than a working at the bytecode level.
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #25 - Posted 2007-08-12 21:22:57 »

All the above is still next to impossible. Everything should be put into arrays or buffers (no objects anywhere) before this would have a chance. If one is making such an effort, he can as well port it himself. bytecode analysis and transformation won't get you anywhere, because traversing all those (dynamic) object-references with random pointers, is a horrendous datastructure for SIMD related code.

I think the usage of classes of type T as well as Arrays of them T[] should be fine, if:
 - the are declared final
 - contain only primitives and primitve arrays fields

checking the referred class attributes and method paramters should not be difficult.
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2007-08-12 21:24:12 »

I'm not thinking at the micro-level.

sorry for confusion, that post I answered to 'bitshit'..
Offline thiagosc2

Senior Newbie

« Reply #27 - Posted 2007-09-22 00:37:45 »

Why do you care so much about he says? A game is not built by one person alone and Id is bigger than him. He never had any sympathy for Java and he will say as bad things as he can against it simply because it is not like "C". Forget it.

What you should worry about is to make Java games faster and not what he says. If what he says uncovered problems in the JVM than you have a big problem. Why didn't you foresee this?
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

SHC (21 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (19 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (18 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (21 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (36 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (74 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (52 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (46 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (41 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (67 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org