Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Anyone besides me really dislike Eclipse?  (Read 12964 times)
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 68
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Posted 2007-07-30 14:11:42 »

Ok, it's a love/hate relationship. I love programming in Eclipse, but when it comes to updating the editor it's a total nightmare.

How is it that everytime a new Eclipse is released I have to download the whole editor, install it separately from my existing one, and then re-install all the addons I'm using, and also setup all my projects again. If I persist on using ONE version older (3.3.1 instead of 3.3.2) then I hit a wall regarding adding new addons, since most current addons require the newest version of Eclipse.

I'm really starting to get annoyed by Eclipse. I have 3 installs of it on my disk, all pretty much messed up. Now I have to upgrade to the newest version!

Is there no way to upgrade my existing Eclipse? I've tried installing (unzipping) of existing installations but everything went totally fubar.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-07-30 14:23:41 »

Is there no way to upgrade my existing Eclipse? I've tried installing (unzipping) of existing installations but everything went totally fubar.
IIRC the docs explicityly say not to do this because it causes all sorts of trouble.

Yeah, I also find upgrading Eclipse versions a bit of a pain, but usually I only tend to do it once a year at most so it's hardly a major problem. I was starting to get tired of Eclipse, but after spending a weekend tinkering with Visual Studio and C# and being constantly annoyed by it's stupid behaviour and dodgy code completion I'm back to loving Eclipse again. Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-07-30 14:27:55 »

What about NetBeans? Is the upgrade-curve so steep there?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ravenger

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-07-30 14:37:19 »

if you program in unix environment, you could try IntelliJ for free. If you use windows, then you have to pay for it Tongue, but its better than eclipse.

Updating eclipse isnt that hard tho, you could use the internal upgrade tool (Help --> Software Updates --> Find and Install)
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-07-30 14:54:02 »

Updating eclipse isnt that hard tho, you could use the internal upgrade tool (Help --> Software Updates --> Find and Install)

Only for addons, and patches to Eclipse, not when you have to jump a version, like 3.2.2 -> 3.3.0

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-07-30 15:11:14 »

What about NetBeans? Is the upgrade-curve so steep there?
It's not much different I fear. Especially the upcoming 6.0 version seem to steer into an upgrade nightmare, since they changed the plugin-mechanisms and the auto update. I hope 'til the final release there will be a migration assistent.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline fletchergames

Senior Devvie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-07-30 17:39:25 »

I don't use any add-ons, so it's not a problem.  The only add-on I ever wanted to use was the profiler, which I couldn't get to get work.  I profiled with java.exe instead (which didn't help anyways).

I guess the secret is not to use any add-ons.
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161