Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Junior Network / Online Programmer  (Read 6082 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Posted 2007-07-02 10:57:22 »

NCsoft is one of the world's biggest online gaming companies, a major developer and publisher in Asia, America, and Europe.

Can you write basic multiplayer code for games, or basic lobby/match/game servers?

Would you like to work in a team of networking experts, and learn how to write high performance net code or learn how to design and develop servers for massively multiplayer games?

This role is in our UK studio, in Brighton. The office is in the centre of this vibrant city, just a couple of minutes from the station and a five minute walk from the seafront.

As the in-house experts on all networking and server development issues, you will be a special team that works directly with the game development teams. You will work with multiple different studios, where you will be designing and implementing appropriate individual solutions for each game, and even helping re-architect the core of each game to work well with online and networked play.

Requirements:

* Some prior experience of developing computer games
    * Experience of EITHER network coding techniques for FPS and racing-games OR server design and implementation, e.g. have written lobby or matchmaking servers
    * Basic knowledge of network techniques (TCP/IP, UDP, IP routing)
    * Basic knowledge of servers (basic linux administration)
    * Experienced with either C++ or Java
      NCsoft Europe Ltd

Responsibilities:
    o write network code to deliver multiplayer features
    o write server code to deliver multiplayer features
    o help the Senior Network Developer with analysing and improving architectures
    o help the Senior Network Developer explain networking and server issues to other development teams
    o work on multiple game projects

All interested candidates should send a formal covering letter, CV/resume and salary requirements via email to ukjobs@plaync.com

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline SluX

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-07-02 17:02:28 »

Err...do u have to live in Uk to apply? Smiley

"Intelligence is the most beautiful gift and the greatest temptation which one life can receive from the gods."Me Cheesy
Play strategic football
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-07-03 09:09:11 »

Err...do u have to live in Uk to apply? Smiley

QUOTE: "This role is in our UK studio, in Brighton. The office is in the centre of this vibrant city, just a couple of minutes from the station and a five minute walk from the seafront."

You'll have to live in the UK to do the job, and you'll need to be legally able to work in the UK of course Smiley. International applicants welcome, assuming you can manage those requirements.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-07-03 12:36:45 »

Would I get to boss this guy around?

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-07-03 13:49:08 »

You can try.

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-07-04 06:44:40 »

Hmm... looks like the some of the best are in the team, might just have to think about applying for the job!
Offline keldon85

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-07-04 07:17:09 »

I would love to apply however I miss the requirement of network programming experience. I have covered the theory at uni, having said that my current plan is to study for a Masters and get experience in the necessary skills to make me more employable - so watch out!

Hopefully a post will appear next year, on the other hand does your team do internships? Actually what are the odds of a post appearing next year?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-07-04 09:14:25 »

Hopefully a post will appear next year, on the other hand does your team do internships? Actually what are the odds of a post appearing next year?

Yes, we do take interns, both summer vacation and year-in-industry style (one year during your undergrad course). But it's limited by how many experienced programmers we have with enough spare time to mentor someone.

Offline keldon85

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-07-04 09:26:15 »

What about this year, are there any vacancies for a summer vacation?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-07-04 13:56:44 »

What about this year, are there any vacancies for a summer vacation?

The minimum length of an internship is typically 4 months, so I seriously doubt anyone has time to do a summer vacation this year Smiley.

However, feel free to contact ukjobs @ plaync.com with a speculative application if you think you have something strong (experience, skill, your own sheer genius Smiley, etc).

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline keldon85

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-07-04 17:17:59 »

Well I do have the skill; however I will be going back to uni this year for a Masters! So I'll just keep on the lookout next year, or you could send me a pm Wink

Offline keldon85

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-07-31 19:35:44 »

How's the position going; is it filled yet? My plans have changed and I am looking for full time work now; although Brighton is out of my "being in London" plot, I can still get a train back and forth for Church on Sunday every week, which does not take too long. In fact it's quicker than travelling across London Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-08-01 12:36:44 »

In fact it's quicker than travelling across London Smiley

Indeed it is; lots of people live in brighton and commute daily to london.

We're still interviewing for the position this week, so if you get a CV in fast (i.e. within the next 48 hours) I can guarantee you'll get considered in this round. Of course, if we don't find the right person in this round of interviews, then we'll still be looking - but I'd suggest getting a CV in ASAP just in case.

Offline keldon85

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-08-01 15:02:12 »

Okay, well as per the requirements I will begin development of a lobby server tomorrow and send my CV and covering letter before development commences. It will be a noble challenge for me since I only studied the network systems architecture at uni and all of our coursework involved creating a virtual network and sending messages across that.

Offline keldon85

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-08-02 22:23:30 »

Not quite when I planned but I have sent the CV (within the 48 hours and all), fingers crossed. I had fun working on the Lobby and getting my head around methods for successful matchmaking nonetheless Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (21 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (55 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (54 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (24 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (30 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (28 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (37 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org