Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (592)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  ignore  |  Print  
  Treasure Tomb Development Diary  (Read 28319 times)
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 422
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #60 - Posted 2007-07-22 13:45:26 »

22 July 2007

"Agile programming" seems to be all about periodically refactoring everything in order to move ahead to the next stage and get something working in a matter of weeks.

Of course, being a hardcore hacker, I refactor everything and expect it to work in a matter of days Smiley Today is a refactoring sort of day, nursing as I am another hangover from a drinking competition between myself and my pseudocoisin Amy last night. Neither of us lost but poor auntie Mel is terribly sick today. Worse luck, it's Bob Burroughs' 33rd birthday bash tonight in Newcastle and he's already booked Monday off work in anticipation of incredible sickness. Bob went to school with Chaz and me back in the 80's. Chaz went on to do arty stuff; Bob does musicy stuff. Bob might be doing some of the music and sound effects for Treasure Tomb.

Anyway, refactoring.

Not very exciting to read about unfortunately. But the gist of it is this: I realise that if the player is going to be pushing crates around, then the crates are going to need pixel based movement too. So all that code I put into the Player class is now going into an abstract base class called PixelBasedEntity and both Crate and Player will extend it. Thrilling stuff I know.

[size=1]Music: Cypress Hill - Skull & Bones[/size]

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #61 - Posted 2007-07-23 21:06:10 »

23 July 2007

The refactoring continues. I've perhaps unwisely made the gidrahs pixelbased too now. Many headaches. Player can't now walk through turrets which is good. Still no crate pushing or collision. Gidrahs keep getting stuck on each other. Bah. And this is after a night out with Bob. I don't feel too good.

Chaz has done me ladders and a hole, which are "teleports" except they are instantaneous (no beamout / beamin). Not many more tiles needed now for the moonbase tileset.

I've been thinking about the map, which is huge. I might have to outsource bits of it to the community.

[size=1]Music: Cypress Hill - Skull & Bones, Ninja Tunes Xen Cuts[/size]

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #62 - Posted 2007-07-25 00:26:12 »

24 July 2007

After what feels like the biggest refactoring operation ever, I've finally gotten crates to move correctly when pushed, and gidrahs to wander around without bumping into each other. Gidrahs no longer walk over each other and get stuck. One problem was that when they spawned on top of each other they couldn't move, so now I check that the spawner has no gidrah within a square of it.

I'm in two minds as to whether to make gidrahs obey floor arrows. Might be amusing. What do you think?

I've tweaked the way the player aims. Now, if you hold the fire button down and you get a lock on the nearest gidrah, that gidrah will remain locked on until it is destroyed or you release the fire button. The player can no longer shoot when a ghost either. Only fair.

Oh, and we've got exploding crates now! Yay! Always good for some chain reaction fun. The gidrahs have gained hitpoints as well and will take several hits to kill. This makes up for the poor things being rather easier to shoot than before. Exploding crates are not replaced by the tile reset switch.

Chaz has done me an ice tile but I haven't put it in the game yet. Also he's monkeying with the gamma correction - I can hardly see some of the tiles and it all seems rather dark to me. It turns out Chaz's gamma is turned up considerably more than my default Nvidia settings. We'll see the results tomorrow.

Please test away and check out the lovely new pixel movement and crate pushing fun and gidrah pwning.

[size=1]Music: Amon Tobin - Remixes and Collaborations, Amon Tobin - Foley Room, Blur - Leisure, Dandy Warhols - Odditorium or Warlords Of Mars[/size]

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #63 - Posted 2007-07-25 00:28:34 »

(Er, and there is an invisible crate reset switch nearby the turret in the room on the right - you can't push crates onto it. Not a bug Wink)

Cas Smiley

Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

« Reply #64 - Posted 2007-07-25 10:14:58 »

Excellent! Although the change in behaviour in regards to when you begin shooting while standing still can hinder gameplay. I would prefer a gunstar-heroes / probotector style choice before where it is either one way or another.

Does this work with a controller, if so I will bring in my ps2 controllers and play it properly. My fancy keyboard design is perfect for typing but doesn't work so well for gaming </excuses>

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #65 - Posted 2007-07-25 13:14:03 »

It works with my Saitek. And you're right, there's not really much use in the pivot function now the gun aims for you, so I think that will go.

Cas Smiley

Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #66 - Posted 2007-07-25 22:07:26 »

One question, will you be implementing a leader board, like where you can see the highest scores online  Tongue Roll Eyes

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #67 - Posted 2007-07-25 22:22:13 »

It's already starting to be fun  Smiley

I've one little remark about the controls though. I remember from a previous post that you added a small delay between keypresses and movement. I think I'd get rid of that myself, the controls just feel a bit laggy now.

One question, will you be implementing a leader board, like where you can see the highest scores online  Tongue Roll Eyes

All Cas' games have that feature Cheesy

Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #68 - Posted 2007-07-25 22:35:16 »

All Cas' games have that feature Cheesy
I know Grin I'm currently at the top  Cool

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #69 - Posted 2007-07-25 22:54:16 »

I'll tinker with the delay - might remove it if it's better that way. As it is though it enables you to turn and face in a different direction without moving. Currently the delay is 4 frames (65ms).

Don't get too excited about the hiscores table coz it'll get vaped regularly  Lips Sealed

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #70 - Posted 2007-07-25 23:39:21 »

Oh yeah, check your certificates; Aeon Flux and some others are not running as .jnlp's because of differing certificates

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #71 - Posted 2007-07-26 00:50:11 »

Will do at some point. Can't build Flux at the moment.

25 July 2007

Removed player pivoting, which is now no longer relevant with the auto-aiming feature. Changed start moving delay to 35ms (2 frames). I've noticed something very slightly annoying when stepping on arrows - if just one pixel of your bounding box steps on an arrow you are effectively hooked onto it but unless your dead centre is on the arrow the arrow itself doesn't have any effect. I expect that will require a bunch of hackery and bodgery to fix but I'm leaving all that alone today to make improvements to the map editor.

Stuff done to the editor:
  • Page Up and Page Down on the tile selector screen now flip the pages as expected
  • Holding Ctrl down and clicking in draw mode on any tile other than an action tile will instead pick up that tile to draw with.
  • Asynchronous load and save and exception handling (also for New Game - can take a few seconds on older computers and laptops to load the map!)
  • You can now type in the name of the map you want to save and load! The maps are stored in the your user home folder unless you give them a full path. This means you can finally experiment with your own maps. The last map saved or loaded is the one that is used in the game. Don't forget to toggle all your switches to the correct state before you save (Ctrl-click).

Had fun writing all sorts of crazy asynchronous stuff and dialog boxes and message boxes and so on. Once again it just makes you appreciate how good Swing is at this sort of stuff.

[size=1]Music: Ween - Quebec, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, Various bits and bobs, Dr Phibes and the House Of Wax Equations - Whirlpool (yes! Took me ages to track this down)[/size]

Offline keldon85

Senior Devvie

« Reply #72 - Posted 2007-07-26 01:02:49 »

Re-upload, or are you currently uploading at this very moment!

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/lwjgl/LWJGLException
   at net.puppygames.applet.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:67)
   ... 9 more

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #73 - Posted 2007-07-26 11:16:09 »

Sorry, forgot to upload it - it's there now. My apologies in advance for the appalling dialog boxes etc.

Cas Smiley

Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #74 - Posted 2007-07-30 14:02:56 »

There is a bug now.

Click to Play

The switch doesn't work in this room anymore.  I cannot get out.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #75 - Posted 2007-07-30 19:11:40 »

Whoops Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline miu

Junior Newbie

« Reply #76 - Posted 2007-08-13 20:11:57 »

Vacation?  Wink
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #77 - Posted 2007-08-13 21:56:50 »

Yup. Back to work on Thursday.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #78 - Posted 2007-08-16 23:11:23 »

16 August 2007

Normal service is resumed!

While I was away on holiday Chaz has done a lot of the nice little tweaks and finishing touches to bits of the game to make it look more "finished". We've now got proper player lasers, enemy lasers, particle effects, gidrahs, obstacle tiles, and a new improved HUD. Unfortunately he's not done lava and toxic waste yet.

I put ice in this afternoon. Slightly fiddly but all working fine, even with arrows laid on top of it. Ice prevents the player from changing direction once he's started moving over it. I should be able to come up with a few good puzzles based on ice and arrows.

I've been thinking about the design of the game a little, and in particular the level layout and concept. I have a horrible feeling that a massive 1024x1024 map is just too bloody big for me to cope with doing. I think what I'm going to do is split the map up after all, into much smaller chunks, accessible from a "hub" level. The hub will have eight portals in it. Each portal teleports you into a particular world. Every time you enter a world, you'll get the next map along in that world, and its difficulty increases by one point. Of course to exit a world, you need to find the exit each time, wherever that may be.

This "new" design is actually much more like the original Time Bandit game from which we're derived. The merits are rather obvious though... there's a sense of progress and achievement in nice bite-sized chunks, and I don't get daunted by having to design a massive map. I can cut the heap requirements a bit too, not that heap requirements is an issue really. I suppose this will make it easier to make a demo out of the game too - I could either limit which portals are available, or limit the maximum progress through each world, or both, or do neither and just rely on the demo timeout.

No build just yet.. have to create a "hub" map and test moonbase maps.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #79 - Posted 2007-08-18 00:16:54 »

17 August 2007

Tweaked player death slightly - when you resurrect now, it's with 4 shields, to prevent tediously being killed seconds after resurrection again. There's now a countdown on the HUD (needs beautifying slightly) and a panicky sound effect too.

Also noticed a bug that made the gidrahs have too many hitpoints (again). I prefer most things to die as soon as they're shot.

Put tooltips in the tile chooser so I can tell tiles apart a bit better.

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #80 - Posted 2007-08-18 09:47:30 »

The pixel-based movement is very impressive, especially the way you can slip past corners and push crates.  Until I read what was below I thought that you might be using some physics API.

20 July 2007
Yesterday as I said someone moaned bout me about the tilebased movement ('twas Michael of Rock Solid Games, coders of Darwin the Monkey and Inca Quest). Well, I fobbed him off for a bit but deep down I knew fundamentally he was right - tilebased movement is really a hangover from ancient limitations of older games. We can provide proper pixel freedom these days. So I ummed and ahhed over it in my sleep (which now seems to consist of dreaming about code) and in the morning I realised that I couldn't let it lie.

Making this game work with pixel based movement is hard. Actually it must be hard for anyone that does it. Hats off to everyone who's made it work, because it's taken me all day, and it's still not even half finished.

I've got most of the movement working ok. You can move without getting embedded in walls and you can step on things and pick them up and arrow tiles sort of work. You can slide along walls by trying to do a diagonal move. It keeps you facing in the first direction you moved in if you add a diagonal move. There are some things that still need to be fixed though, which are quite hard and I've drunk too much wine to get my tiny brain around them.

The first and most important thing is "slippery corners". If you attempt to walk north, say, into a corridor but you're a few pixels left of the entrance, you just stop dead unless you also do a bit of diagonal. Unfortunately to the player it just feels like the walls are sticky. So I need to detect this situation and slip the player in the right direction.

The way you have to face the baddies to shoot them is sometimes annoying though.  For example you can't run away and shoot at the same - you can only shoot and move by running directly at them.  Maybe you could make the auto-aim depend on which direction the mouse-pointer is relative to the man?  Or just auto-aim to the nearest shoot-able baddie?

Nice game, very intuitive and and fun to play, and the graphics are excellent.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #81 - Posted 2007-08-21 14:25:07 »

The auto-aim works ok I think... if you hold the mouse button down then it keeps whatever it targeted "locked" until it is destroyed, but if it moves out of your field-of-view, it reverts to firing straight ahead unless some other target wanders into range and view.

20 August 2007

I am the CRATE MASTER (flat packed variety!). Unfortunately today I got roped into doing chores for my mum, ie. assembling some horribly fiddly flat-packed chests of drawers. Also watched a film (Ultraviolet - it's pants, don't bother). And, erm, didn't get much of anything done.

21 August 2007

Been working on moving platforms today. Platforms will stick to the type of floor tile they are spawned on, so this lets me create platforms that bounce back and forth (automatically, or a one-shot when the player steps on it each time), and platforms that attept to follow a "route" by not turning back 180 degrees if they can help it but instead rotating 90 degrees. A few more puzzles and fun we'll have with those, methinks. You can check 'em out in a room in the bottom right (yes! a new build!) Beware - a platform starts moving pretty much as soon as you're on it - if you don't clamber on to it properly you might get nudged off by a wall!

In order to get platforms in I had to stick them in on layer 2, so they'd appear above the floor tiles but below the gidrahs and player etc. This meant I had to tweak the layers of all the sprites and emitters, bah. Well, I don't know why I'm complaining, it only took about 5 minutes to do.

There's one more platform type I've yet to do, which is the "vehicle" type, which basically you control when you clamber inside. Not sure how to disembark from it though - perhaps disable the fire button and use it to get out of the vehicle? Dunno yet.

Crate reset switch seems to be broken. Not sure why yet.

[size=1]Music: Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations - Hypnotwister, Massive Attack vs Mad Professor - No Protection[/size]

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #82 - Posted 2007-08-23 13:16:12 »

Gone is the Puppyinvaders applet, which we suspect caused a lot more trouble for people than it was worth (slow page loading, crashes, etc).

Have you considered doing an AJAX insert, so that it's not there, but you could have an image instead with the words "click here to play" which would pull the applet dynamically into the page?

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #83 - Posted 2007-08-23 13:31:36 »

Not really... sounds fiddly. Besides, I think we need some new applets. Maybe a whole page dedicated to them.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #84 - Posted 2007-08-23 18:12:16 »

>sounds fiddly

It is. I only managed to get it working as intended for FF+Opera... or... FF+IE.

The former... display:none for the applet and using JS to hide some hime and setting display:block for the applet. However, IE will load Java even if it's not visible.

The latter... injecting the applet stuff into the DOM via JS. Doesn't work with Opera. No idea why. The applet is there (and all attributes are correct - checked that with the developer console) and it says "loading", but it never finishes.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #85 - Posted 2007-08-23 21:28:32 »

22 August 2007

Made it so turrets don't shoot (or turn to face the player) when the gidrahs are frozen. That way you can use a jewel to get past rooms full of turrets.

Got a bit of feedback from TIGsource forums: it is difficult to know what a switch has just done. Yes, this is true; I plan to stick an effect round the tiles that change when a switch is tweaked, and possibly find the centrepoint of all the changed tiles and zoom the view over to it for a moment the first time the switch is used. Also I think I'll put a little "dropping" animation in for when you fall down the hole or go down a ladder.

I've made it so the ghost can ignore ice and arrows and crates. It could create some complex design issues in the levels but the net effect is to make it easier for the player so I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Stuff done:
  • Ghost now moves through crates, arrows and over ice with impunity
  • You can now shoot over ice. Whoops!
  • Fixed crate reset switch. Rewrote it so it didn't break again in the same way. Code was over-complicated anyway.

23 August 2007

Stuff done:
  • Effect around tiles which have been affected by a switch, and a zoom on first use
  • Fixed crate reset switch. Rewrote it so it didn't break again in the same way. Code was over-complicated anyway.
  • Weight-activated switch. This sort of switch toggles back as soon as the player moves off of it. Cunningly though you can push a crate onto it and it will activate. (Same goes for ordinary switches too).
  • Fixed a bug in the editor which caused it to fail to save maps if any switch was left toggled on by accident, but not tell you it had failed, and it would leave you no option but to quit the editor without saving. This I discovered to my cost after spending half an hour making a nice big new bit of map to play with.
  • Got difficulty adjustment in and working correctly.

Little stuff to do:
  • Small animation when descending a ladder or falling down a hole
  • Disable portal tiles when you've completed that world

I'm basically putting off the next big job which is script tiles. These need to open a screen with various multiple choice widgets on and some text etc. It shouldn't be too hard - reckon I'll have it cracked inside a day.

Offline the2bears

Senior Devvie

Projects: 2

Little Bear: Code Fu!

« Reply #86 - Posted 2007-08-24 04:04:53 »

Crashed pretty hardcore here today... do you have any logfiles I can send?  I died in the area with all the pacman type creatures, and a soundeffect started looping.  I had a rather slow mouse, but no keyboard.  Had to reboot.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #87 - Posted 2007-08-24 10:00:53 »

Only what you can get out of the JWS console. Hard crash = broken drivers. Game has no fancy code in it beyond what's in Ultratron.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #88 - Posted 2007-08-24 17:58:04 »

24 August 2007

Stuff done:
  • Small animation when descending a ladder or falling down a hole (though because of a quirk in the map it does the animation walking up ladders too at the moment)
  • Stopped the switch zoom effect if the effects of the switch are mostly visible onscreen already

The sun's out again, and seeing this is one of the very few nice weekends we've had for this whole lamentably rainy crap summer here in the UK, I'm going to go out and enjoy it instead of getting a "studio tan" indoors.

[size=0]Music: Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, Hexstatic - Master View & Solid Steel Presents...[/size]

Offline gouessej
« Reply #89 - Posted 2007-08-26 16:34:04 »

Impressive game, really. It would be better with some sounds but it is quite interesting.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

toopeicgaming1999 (67 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (58 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (12 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (29 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (24 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (37 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (76 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (53 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org