Drawing 2D graphics  (Read 7622 times)
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #30 - Posted 2007-05-24 01:04:28 »

Oh yea... if you want to check if h264 works:
http://kaioa.com/svg/sun_h264.avi

That should help you to identify the problem.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #31 - Posted 2007-05-25 00:54:16 »

Tongue

Downloaded MPC and tried to play one of them but got the same thing, a black screen.  Couldn't find what you were talking about in my graphics card settings, I'm using vista -- not sure if that's the problem or not (has been most times I've had a problem  Undecided)
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #32 - Posted 2007-05-25 04:16:36 »

Oh... Vista... why would anyone do that?

Do mpeg files work? If not, try to find newer drivers for your graphics card.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #33 - Posted 2007-05-25 13:43:40 »

Try to buy a new PC without Vista installed, and you'll know  Undecided

Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #34 - Posted 2007-05-25 16:17:25 »

Do mpeg files work? If not, try to find newer drivers for your graphics card.

Yea mpeg's work fine, and I won my laptop in a competition...so I didn't get any choices.

And I just got the laptop about a month or 2 ago, from the company that makes the graphics card in it, so I'm assuming the drivers are already up to date?
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #35 - Posted 2007-05-25 21:16:41 »

>Try to buy a new PC without Vista installed, and you'll know  Undecided

I built so many PCs... I surely won't buy a pre-built one. And why would I want to pay ~100 bucks for that? That totally ruins part of the fun and I rather spend the money on better parts. Wink

---

If mpegs work, it isn't an overlay issue. Ah well, I'm out of ideas.

If I ever start doing proper screencasts, I'll offer flv as alternative (the drawbacks are less quality, way bigger file sizes, hardsubs and only one audio stream possible).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #36 - Posted 2007-05-26 02:30:00 »

Argh, I'm guessing MPC just doesn't have a vista version is the problem.  Where else can I find a tutorial on clipping?  I can't even figure out how to use the clipping stuff -- none of the tutorials in inkscape say how to use clipping, there's a small blurb that says something useless about it, and that's it. 
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #37 - Posted 2007-05-30 22:04:22 »

PM could not be sent to 'TLE' as their inbox is full!

Could you tell me in words how to use clipping and how to do shading in inkscape?  I'm thinking you use clipping to shade and such? 

Thanks,
TLE

>Could you tell me in words how to use clipping and how to do shading in inkscape?

I made screencasts for that, because it's very hard to explain it with words alone. I can't really spend 2-3 hours on this, I'm afraid.

However, you can try to figure it out on your own. For clipping you need to select two shapes and then Object->Clip->Set (well, that's the obvious thing). Be sure that you understand how clones work, because you should use a clone for clipping. Another thing you need to know is that clones can only override the fill, if the fill of the original was undefined. The same is also true for stroke.

Alternatively you can of course try to fix your system.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Halvie

Junior Newbie

« Reply #38 - Posted 2007-06-25 06:09:31 »

onyx do you use a tablet? I have been messing around with different vector programs and am not really satisfied with anything I have come up with. Wondering if a tablet would help me out.

thanks
Offline keldon85

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

« Reply #39 - Posted 2007-06-25 09:12:38 »

onyx do you use a tablet? I have been messing around with different vector programs and am not really satisfied with anything I have come up with. Wondering if a tablet would help me out.

thanks
Maybe your problem is 'just messing around with them'. How good are you at drawing and creating curves using beziers? Trust me when I say "there is nothing wrong with the vector programs, and you can do much great work without a tablet", try starting out by tracing drawn pictures - that way you will learn how to deal with curves. Eventually you will find yourself able to instinctively create the appropriate curves for a shape without giving it too much thought. And illustrator/Corel is not a must - you're doing the same thing on all of them and can do a lot of good work using the free Corel or Inkscape. The package is not going to improve your drawing ability!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #40 - Posted 2007-06-25 10:31:19 »

>onyx do you use a tablet?

Unfortunately I don't have one. I'm doing everything through low level node manipulation. First I use the (b)ezier tool to define the shape roughly with straight lines and then I use the (n)ode tool and drag nodes/paths around and change the node type if I have to (shift+s=smooth [square], shift+y=symmetric [square] and shift+c=corner [diamond]).

With a tablet my workflow won't change much. However, it would be more comfy and I could sketch better around with the (p)en. Those sketched lines are only used as some kind of guide/reference and I delete em afterwards. The reason for that is that the node count would be too high and manipulating/tweaking paths takes way longer if there are more nodes than necessary. Therefore it's important to keep the node count low.

Inkscape comes with rather good documentation (help->tutorials). Work through it and you'll know the basics and a few handy tricks. Try to learn the shortcuts of the tools you're using often and you'll be able to improve your workflow. Other workflow improvements will pop up on their own with more experience.

There are also lots of tutorials on the net. I suggest to start out with interface stuff such as buttons and shiny text before starting with your own complex paths. The learning curve will be less steep then. And even if you give up later on, your time commitment won't be in vain, since those basic skills are already useful on their own. Eg you could use it then at least for website layout mockups, interface elements and diagrams. Smiley

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (45 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (34 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (38 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (60 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (87 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org