News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Drawing 2D graphics  (Read 7196 times)
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2007-05-15 05:11:57 »

I'm trying to do artwork for a game.  I'm not the best artist and even worse on computer drawing programs.  Any tips on what the best program is to use or how to create detailed pictures?  I don't wanna use graphics that look like a 2 year old drew it with a Crayola!
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-05-15 06:53:10 »

Use photoshop, or use 3ds studio max, you can render the 3d models and make it look nice.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-05-15 12:06:52 »

Depends on the style you're after. Each style has it's own workflow and tool chain.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-05-15 21:28:50 »

I don't know what style I'm after :\

I just know I want 2d pictures...not 3d models.  What do you guys recommend for this, or, if applicable, what do you use for this?
Offline Kova

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-05-15 22:21:20 »

I don't know what style I'm after :\

then we can't help you much... like you may wont to do cartoony drawings, comic book drawings, realistic photo images... To put it simply, for "photo" images you can use photoshop-like program, and for drawings you can use vector based program, corel-like (google inkscape, it's like freeware corel)
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-05-15 23:07:25 »

>I don't know what style I'm after :\

Toy around then for a few weeks to get a feeling for the different approaches.

Pixel art: Any pixel pushing app will do the trick. There are even a lot of pros who use mspaint.
Photo based or photo realistic: Something like Photoshop.
Vector: Inkscape is a good starting point. (I wrote some of the extensions btw Grin)
Pre-rendered: Lots of tools and skills are required for that.
Experimental: Clay stop motion, abstract, scanned pencil drawings... lots o weird possibilities.

So... try a few things and see what works best for you. Eg I really like pixel art, but it takes too long. Photobased or stop motion isn't an option, because I don't own a digital camera. Scanned stuff would be really meh, since my drawing isn't that good and my scanner is too damn slow (it's about 15 years old). Pre-rendered is quite nice, but my skills aren't up to the task yet. I also don't own a tablet. So, it's vector for me.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline broumbroum

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-05-16 00:16:32 »

why don't you just turn around the Gimp ? It's free and fast on many platforms.  Cheesy

::::... :..... :::::: ;;;:::™ b23:production 2006 GNU/GPL @ http://b23prodtm.webhop.info
on sf.net: /projects/sf3jswing
Java (1.6u10 plz) Web Start pool
dev' VODcast[/ur
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-05-16 02:01:06 »

Thanks for all the info guys, helps a lot.  I'll probably download inkscape and give that a try later when I have more time -- it can create pictures with transparent backgrounds right?

why don't you just turn around the Gimp ? It's free and fast on many platforms.  Cheesy

Not sure what the Gimp is :\
Offline cylab

JGO Knight

Medals: 34

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-05-16 02:22:55 »

It's something like a photoshop clone, but with an interface needs getting used to. It emerged out of the GPU/Linux community, is quite powerfull and has a scripting language for effects, so you will find tons of effects to download on the net.

Pixel art: Any pixel pushing app will do the trick. There are even a lot of pros who use mspaint.

I found Paint.NET being a good tool for my pixel pushing desires. It's somewhere between mspaint and paint shop pro.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-05-16 04:53:04 »

>[inkscape] can create pictures with transparent backgrounds right?

Sure. The empty stuff is transparent by default. If you need something opaque you can either put a rect in the background or use the document properties (the background there is also used for export).

Help->Tutorials should get you started.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-05-16 07:35:34 »

Sweet, inkscape definitely sounds like my ticket.  Thanks for the info
Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-05-16 21:01:24 »

It's something like a photoshop clone, but with an interface needs getting used to. It emerged out of the GPU/Linux community, is quite powerfull and has a scripting language for effects, so you will find tons of effects to download on the net.
If they wanted to steal some market share from Adobe Photoshop, the first thing they would have done was to keep the photoshop shortcuts.. All of them are changed.
Marque  -> R
Laso -> F
Magic Wand -> Z
etc.

I found Paint.NET being a good tool for my pixel pushing desires. It's somewhere between mspaint and paint shop pro.
I found Graphics Gale, it's a very robust package made for pixel artist/animators, it has a free version with all the functions excepting save to gif.
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-05-17 00:17:51 »

No, but you can use the 3d environment in 3ds max and easily make rendered 2d pictures, that are for backgrounds etc.

Offline cylab

JGO Knight

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-05-17 02:10:26 »

If they wanted to steal some market share from Adobe Photoshop, the first thing they would have done was to keep the photoshop shortcuts.. All of them are changed.

Yeah maybe. How is the situation with GIMPShop?

Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-05-21 04:26:44 »

Ok, I've been using inkspace and am really liking it, made some decent pictures that I never would have been able to make on paper.  I'm having troube with details though, I have good outlines mostly, but they aren't that detailed and I can't really figure out what tools to use for small details, and I've only been able to pain graphics a solid color, not able to break it up into pieces, coloring parts differently and such, what tools should I use to do this and for the details?  Didn't see anything about this type of stuff in the tutorials.
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-05-21 06:41:43 »

I do pretty much everything with the bezier and node tool. The rest is fill/stroke (maaaaaybe a gradient), clones and clipping.

Here are two short screencasts about clipping:
http://kaioa.com/svg/clipping.mkv (xvid/ssa ~1.8mb)
http://kaioa.com/svg/clipping2.mkv (h264/ssa ~1mb)

Shading with clipping:
http://kaioa.com/svg/amgclip.png
(the shading of the skin was also done with clipping)

Simple shading with clipping:
http://kaioa.com/svg/carrot_steps.png [wireframe]

Overlap with clipping:
http://kaioa.com/svg/weave.svgz (FF/Opera required)
http://kaioa.com/svg/weaveclip.png
(as you can see I cross through the stroke edges and carefully chosen spots to keep the antialiasing intact)
http://kaioa.com/svg/weaveextra.png
(with an extra semi transparent green rect below the two extra pieces)

Well, you don't really need clipping. But it makes some things a lot easier.

Blur is also quite cool. Keep in mind that there are other things then shadows you can do with it like:
http://kaioa.com/svg/boofinal.svgz (FF3 beta or Opera required) [856x480 png]

Glowy stuff will be a tad neater in the future if there are blending modes (lighten, darken, screen, overlay etc).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline broumbroum

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-05-21 09:36:21 »

I can't get it playing,. where do you make this movie file .mkv ?  Huh

::::... :..... :::::: ;;;:::™ b23:production 2006 GNU/GPL @ http://b23prodtm.webhop.info
dev' VODcast[/ur
Offline Kova

« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-05-21 14:07:53 »

I can't get it playing,. where do you make this movie file .mkv ?  Huh

It can be opened with windows media player. So you just have to find the codec I guess.
Offline broumbroum

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-05-21 17:14:25 »

ok, but is this possible to get it coded with Java 2D??? That could be interesting...  Grin

dev' VODcast[/ur
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-05-21 19:04:51 »

MKV is a container (like avi or mp4). You need a matching splitter to get ahold of the streams. MPC (media player classic) and VLC have integrated splitters (stand alone splitters can be found at that mkv page). But VLC has some issues when it comes to SSA. I could have used hard subs, but back then I didn't know how to do that. Hard subs also have the disadvantage that you cannot simply add other languages. Btw those two screencasts don't contain any audio streams.

If you don't have any h264 codec installed try ffdshow tryouts.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-05-22 05:34:28 »

Downloaded and installed the ffd thing but can't figure out how to play the mkv still  Huh

Explain it to me like I'm an idiot?  Tongue
Offline cylab

JGO Knight

« Reply #21 - Posted 2007-05-22 10:09:12 »

- double click the file
- select "choose program" to open (or something... my windows is german...)
- select "Windows Media Player" or browse for "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mplay32.exe"
- check "Always use this program" (or alike)
- click OK

Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2007-05-22 12:39:58 »

MPC is a lot neater then WMP tho.

edit: You also won't have to install a mkv splitter separately.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2007-05-23 03:58:34 »

Yea, I put it into wmp but it just ran the bar like it was playing, but nothing was showing on the window.  I downloaded the ffd thing and just installed it where it wanted to be installed, apparently this isn't right....so, what do I do to install it?
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #24 - Posted 2007-05-23 04:37:50 »

So, you did install some mkv splitter?

Well, no idea if you can make WMP show the subtitles at all (they won't make much sense w/o em, I'm afraid). MPC will display em fine for example (or MPlayer on Linux). Give MPC a try. It's really a lot better then WMP.

Also check the ffdshow decoder options (start->programs->ffdshow->video decoder configuration... codecs). The first one uses XViD and the second uses H264.

Other then that... help->tutorials is pretty good (as I already mentioned) and there are a bunch of other screencasts over at youtube (which may teach you some bad things tho).

Ehm. But usual videos (mpeg/avi etc) do work, yea? I ask because you could configure it in a way to display the overlay stuff *only* through tv-out in which case the overlay thingy on your screen will remain black. For changing that... check the overlay options of your graphics card.

(Note: FLVs as seen on youtube or google video etc aren't using the overlay stuff and therefore they wont be affected.)

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline cylab

JGO Knight

« Reply #25 - Posted 2007-05-23 13:43:58 »

So, you did install some mkv splitter?
Wasn't that part of the ffdshow installer? Had no ffd install lately...

Give MPC a try. It's really a lot better then WMP.
MPC==Media Player Classic (In case someone doesn't know)

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2007-05-23 14:49:24 »

>Wasn't that part of the ffdshow installer? Had no ffd install lately...

ffdshow (and ffdshow tryouts) only contains video and audio en-/decode shizzle (it isn't a so called "codec pack" mind you).

MPC and VLC are shipped with integrated mkv splitters (which can be disabled). If you're using another player you might have to install a separate splitter such as haali's.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline TLE

Senior Newbie

« Reply #27 - Posted 2007-05-24 01:59:31 »

Eh :\

Is there an easy way to get the codec or whatever I need to play it on WMP?  It's not that I have a vendetta against MPC, but I hate downloading things I already basically have because a different one supports a particular file -- I don't wanna end up with 18 different media players ya know -- just a waste of space.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #28 - Posted 2007-05-24 02:15:59 »

Then forget about WMP (it went steadily downhill from version 6.4), and use only MPC Grin

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #29 - Posted 2007-05-24 02:46:23 »

MPC is a single exe, which is 5.4mb in size. There is no installer and it won't change the file associations on it's own etc. It's really really pain free to try.

It's true what Abuse said. WMP is pretty indeed pretty bad.

I've installed:
-MPC (primary)
-VLC (If MPC is unable to play it, I give VLC a try. VLC has it's own set of "private" codecs, which is the reason why it might work there if it doesn't work elsewhere.)
-Zoom Player (because it's easy to check which codecs are missing and downloading em with only 2 clicks)
-WMP (because... well, it's there)

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (75 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (80 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (66 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (81 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (105 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (165 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (261 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (210 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (220 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org