Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  King.com is looking for one (or more) game developers  (Read 12559 times)
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Posted 2007-04-02 11:10:04 »

King.com, my day job, is looking for one or more game developers!
We're looking through more official channels, but my boss asked me if I knew anyone talented, and there's plenty of talent here.

Development is primarely done in flash (actionscript 2), but for every game there also is a java component.
So if you're looking for a job in Stockholm, Sweden, and you're good at what you do, send me an email at markus@king.com

Play Minecraft!
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-04-03 12:10:20 »

pardon me, but why an actionscript part AND a java part ?

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-04-03 13:12:11 »

The game client (flash) sends game data to the server (java), which interprets the data to make sure there's little or no cheating going on.

Play Minecraft!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-04-03 21:19:42 »

Yes, I basically guessed that much Wink
however why not keep the server action script or the client Java - why the need to mingle.
In my book I would keep it all Java - anything doable in flash is doable - and less resource demanding than flash (god I hate all those 80%+ sucking flash banners).
I would also imagine that you will have to implement game rules in both actionscript (the client part) and in Java (server part).

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 801
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-04-03 22:01:46 »

Even Sun, at java.com ditched applets in favor of Flash...

Flash just works, everywhere...
Java is supposed to work... unless it fails due to this, that or some other reason.

I bet King.com can't affort to lose a chunk of it's userbase.
Java might be much easier to code and a heck of a lot faster to execute (it needs to check N clients in realtime), so why not use Java overthere.

Best of both worlds, with a bit of redundant code.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline PeterB

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-04-03 22:10:52 »

There's a number of tools to help make good Flash anims with lots of nice effects. How many tools exist to help you do the same using java 2D? ... I can totally understand keeping Java for the back end and flash at the front - I ditched the gui for my java game and replaced the gui with a flash one, simply because it was less complicated to create.

Vault101 / Mace The Game
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-04-04 09:25:10 »

I'd love it if the games were made in java as well. Cheesy

Unfortunately, this way is faster (easier to integrate the stuff the artists do), and people really don't like installing java for applets, it seems. Undecided

Play Minecraft!
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-04-04 09:32:20 »

Even Sun, at java.com ditched applets in favor of Flash...

Point taken (as the owner of java, you'd expect them to use it), but Sun is definitely NOT God's gift to website design and maintenance - very few people would take them as an example of what to do in terms of websites.

Flash just works, everywhere...

That's not fair; the flash runtime has had its fair share of infamous bugs (like the flash7/flash8 screwups), and badly-written flash often crashes browsers. I run across FUBAR flash at least once every two weeks, and an OS-slowing (*) flash problem every couple of months (but then I surf a *lot* of websites, a *lot* of new flash games sites, and a *lot* of game-community sites, so I get exposed to a lot of crap Sad). Nowadays I actually fire up a separate browser process for all work-related games sites, so that I can kill that process but leave my "main" browser alive.

(*) i.e. system grinds to a halt because of busy loops in the flash runtime that are stealing all the CPU. Faced with 10 minute wait to get through my seized-up OS to kill the runtime by killing the browser ... or just hard rebooting ... its normally the latter. Dual CPU machines are a godsend - I can finally kill the AWOL process within a minute, rather than within half an hour Smiley

I would guesstimate that in King.com's case it's "historical reasons" Smiley. That's usually what happens.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-04-04 09:34:37 »

I'd love it if the games were made in java as well. Cheesy

Unfortunately, this way is faster (easier to integrate the stuff the artists do), and people really don't like installing java for applets, it seems. Undecided

But ... How long before you make the decision as a company to either get hold of + integrate tools to let artists do that in java, or convert fully to an Adobe-based end-to-end solution? The new Adobe stuff to do java/flash hybrid systems (which AIUI is also the start of an upgrade path to get rid of java) would seem tempting in your situation.

OTOH, FWIW, having done the server + client written in java so that you can do all teh checks using the same source base, it works like a charm and noticeably reduces development costs. If you can do it, whatever language you use, I'd highly recommend it.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 801
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-04-04 09:56:01 »

Point taken (as the owner of java, you'd expect them to use it), but Sun is definitely NOT God's gift to website design and maintenance - very few people would take them as an example of what to do in terms of websites.
Ditching your own technology in favor your rival's, has little to do with design and maintenance, IMHO.

That's not fair; [...] and badly-written flash often crashes browsers.
That has little to do with Flash itself, you can equally write a resource-hogging Applet. The only difference is that the embedded Flash app is quaranteed to grind your system to a halt, while the Applet might fail to load in the first place Smiley I'm not saying this to trash Applets, it's just my experience. The (initial) loading time is another reason for a company not to use Applets, it freezes the whole browser for a few seconds, not much of a nice user-experience, isn't it?

Anyway, let's not derail this thread too much, as somebody is trying to find some developers here... anyone? Kiss

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-04-04 10:54:47 »

I would guesstimate that in King.com's case it's "historical reasons" Smiley. That's usually what happens.

Not at all. Our delivery platform allows us providing games written in pretty much anything, from java and flash to full c++ games (although those won't work for free players without the plugin).
I know this is a horrible place to say it, but java just isn't needed for the games we do. Flash really is the right choice. Wink

Play Minecraft!
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 386
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-04-04 16:04:45 »

OT, but I noticed today that the Flash plugin was something like 1.3mb now, only half the size of my mini-VM with LWJGL...

Cas Smiley

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-04-04 17:59:39 »

Not at all. Our delivery platform allows us providing games written in pretty much anything, from java and flash to full c++ games (although those won't work for free players without the plugin).
I know this is a horrible place to say it, but java just isn't needed for the games we do. Flash really is the right choice. Wink

And that is the absolute correct answer.  Java tech is great, but it's not the ONLY game in town (no pun intended). You have to use the right tools for the right job.  You could not build Wurm in Flash, so Java was the correct tech for the job Smiley

-Chris

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-04-04 20:04:57 »

Well, it was when those GL bindings finally appeared eh? Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-04-04 20:33:32 »

Well, it was when those GL bindings finally appeared eh? Wink

Cas Smiley

Well, the same can be said about <A HREF="http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=134" target="_blank">any evolving technology base right? </A> And Java games were being made before those bindings, including market leaders like RuneScape. Smiley

Offline bfy51

Junior Newbie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2008-02-13 23:28:27 »

Java is the future , and those of you who are just too damn lazy to download paintshoppro take your paint image and set the useless pixels invisible are just lazy , you can do everything that flash does and more with java
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #16 - Posted 2008-02-14 12:30:11 »

.. what?  Huh

Play Minecraft!
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #17 - Posted 2008-02-14 19:02:22 »

That was just an obscure roundabout way to say "I'm a bot and I just failed the turing test".

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline SimonH
« Reply #18 - Posted 2008-02-14 19:12:40 »

That's interesting! Tell me more about your obscure roundabout...

Wink

People make games and games make people
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #19 - Posted 2008-02-14 19:21:31 »

LOL Grin

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #20 - Posted 2008-05-13 13:21:12 »

We're still looking, and the bonus I get if I find someone just went up, so I'll bump this thread. Cheesy

Play Minecraft!
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2008-05-13 15:46:35 »

Maybe you can convince them to do Java clients instead hmm? Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline DzzD
« Reply #22 - Posted 2008-05-14 11:15:10 »

I would be interrested in having a little more information about the job/society ? how many people in that society ? how much a developper can expect to win ? usually how many people work on a single game ? who design/write the game spec ?  is there any possibilities for "telework" ?

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #23 - Posted 2008-05-14 12:31:09 »

I would be interrested in having a little more information about the job/society ? how many people in that society ?
I think we're about 40 people here in the Stockholm office. Ten or so of us are game programmers.

Quote from: DzzD
how much a developper can expect to win?
You mean what the salary is? That's individual and based on experience (and age?). I make enough to keep me happy.

usually how many people work on a single game?
One game programmer, one artist. We help each other solve problems, though, and everyone knows what everyone else is doing, so it's not isolated.

who design/write the game spec?
We've got two game developers/designers, one for money games and one for casual/social games. Sometimes we do straight ports of third party games, like Luxor (I did that port. Cheesy)

is there any possibilities for "telework"?
Probably not, although I know we do some game development outsourcing.

Play Minecraft!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (37 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (29 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (18 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (42 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (24 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (60 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (36 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (49 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (52 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org