Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (568)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Future of JOGL, LWJGL ?  (Read 7037 times)
Offline adamp

Senior Newbie

-x-x-x-

« Posted 2003-07-29 08:37:25 »

Hello!

I've just read that Sun and SGI are going to develop a binding for OpenGL. You can read it here:

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2003/july/sgisun_opengl.html

What do you think... will this make LWJGL and JOGL unnecessary?
Has someone more informations? When will there be the first official binding for OpenGL?

Greetings, Adam.
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-07-29 09:36:19 »

Isn't that more about ME?

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-07-29 11:23:00 »

Pah, it's all you, you, you... Tongue

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herkules

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-07-29 11:52:44 »

LOL - many traps in that language for non-natives....

Micro Edition

Smiley

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-07-29 12:18:26 »

Sorry, couldn't resist! Grin

But to the original poster: yep, it's been posted a couple of times in the last day or so, and there's some discussion of it in other threads.

As to your questions:
  • I personally think it can only be a good thing.
  • LWJGL and JoGL are different APIs with different approaches, both from each other and from this new one.  They will all continue to be necessary.
  • No more info as of yet, except for what people have posted elsewhere.
  • Heh - define "official"! Wink

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-07-29 12:29:18 »

Incidentally, here're the other posts:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=News;action=display;num=1059407903
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=News;action=display;num=1059407116

And here's where it's being discussed:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=jogl;action=display;num=1059397227

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-08-02 03:35:42 »

I know its confusing, but this is all part of the same efforts that the same people are doing in Sun who are working on JOGL.

So relax, its not a competing project.

JK

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline shadejmg

Senior Newbie

Java Rocks!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-08-02 08:48:01 »

what we are basically seeing is sun finally taking the gaming industry seriously...   the cell phone gaming phenomion has taken off..  and one of two things can happen next.. it will fizzle out.. or with a little help it can become a thriving industry.

To full fill its potential ( cell phone gamming ) sun has decided to try to bring opengl to the cell phone. Great idea... but wait.. what about the desktop..   so in a seperate effort jogl has been created.... jlwgl was a seperate effort all together to meet this same need for the desktop.. its methodologies are slightly different and hence there are really two camps of java desktop gamming programmers now. both libraries have their good and bad points. And i dont see either one of them goinging away any time soon.

Pesonally i think this is an exciting time to be a java programmer. Ive been a lead programmer for the last 4 years ( in java ) and the potential for new programs to be created ( that use opengl ) are amazing.  ... And lets not forget the chance to show every C++ programmer that ever snuffed java that not only can we do what they do in games.. but we might even be able to do somethings better.! Smiley

JMG/Shadowlight/Shadejmg
(i have too many names Smiley )

A thousand monkeys on a thousand computers .. typing away randomly .. eventually one will create a great java game! Smiley
Offline Herkules

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-08-02 10:05:26 »

Pesonally i think this is an exciting time to be a java programmer.

Because you never know what's next?

You developed for Java3D and now throw it away?
You turned to LWJGL and now throw it away?
You turn towards JOGL and now feel insecure bc. Sun announces different things the same time?

You developed technology and throw it away bc. Sun suddenly comes around the corner with the same stuff?

Exciting, yes, somehow....

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-08-02 10:17:14 »

Switching between different OpenGL bindings don't excactly require massive code rewrites, so I'm not so worried about that.

And Java3D was pure moosedroppings for games in the first place. Sure, it was an intresting prototype / proof of concept API, but adding OpenGL support to Java is such an obvious and perfect solution that it really leaves no place for a pure high-level API like Java3D.
The scenegraph part will probably live on either as a Sun effort, or (even better, imo) as something like Xith3d, but the immediate mode serves no purpose whatsoever at this point.

Play Minecraft!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 151