News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Bunny Golf  (Read 22099 times)
Offline dishmoth
« Posted 2007-03-25 11:04:28 »

Hi, folks!

This is just a prototype, not a complete game, so please forgive the crude graphics, etc.

http://www.dishmoth.com/BunnyGolf.html

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how you think the game should develop from here.

To play, just grab a bunny's tail using the mouse.  Pull back, take aim, and... release!

There aren't any formal rules to the game, but two players taking alternate turns seems to work pretty well.  For one player, pick a bunny and imagine you're playing golf (it's about par 3 for each hole).

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Kova

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-03-25 11:12:04 »

nice start... only annoying thing is that you can't shoot with full (or at all) intensity when close to a wall
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-03-25 12:33:12 »

Plays very well.

I agree with Kova about the shoot next to wall. Could be considered a feature, but I think it would be nicer if you can shoot max power next to wall as well. AI and human opponent via lan/web would be a really big plus. On-line leaderboard would probably also be fun. Tail could be a bit bigger, to make it easier to grab it. Gfx is quite ok for this type of game.

Greets,
J

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SimonH
« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-03-25 14:25:44 »

What a charming idea! How about some moving obstacles - hedgehogs maybe?

People make games and games make people
Offline benny!

Senior Newbie

in this place forever!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-03-25 18:44:57 »

Indeed. Very fun to play this game. You should definately add some highscore system,
real levels and so on.

One graphical enhancement could be to make the players sprite bigger / to zoom it when
you got over a darker green area ( which should represent the heightness I think ).

Anyway - really looking forward to see your game evolving. Well done !!!

[ BLOG - LABS - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-03-25 19:22:42 »

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Quote from: Kova
nice start... only annoying thing is that you can't shoot with full (or at all) intensity when close to a wall
Ah, okay.  That was intended to be a feature, but if enough people find it annoying (and it's beginning to sound like they do) then I'll have to rethink it.

Quote from: SimonH
How about some moving obstacles - hedgehogs maybe?
Could do -- I think I'm just about up to the task of drawing hedgehogs!  But I'm in two minds as to whether to fill up the game with unusual (gimmicky?) obstacles like in mini-golf/crazy-golf, or to leave it as a serious (well, not that serious) golf game.

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-03-25 19:26:56 »

Thats good fun. Smiley

How about adding contours to the holes? It would be a reasonably "serious" addition and it'd add quite a bit of variety of shots if you could deliberately use the slopes to your advantage.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Kova

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-03-25 20:21:22 »

Thanks for the comments, folks!
Ah, okay.  That was intended to be a feature, but if enough people find it annoying (and it's beginning to sound like they do) then I'll have to rethink it.

if the bunny ends right next to the wall and in rough grass it takes like 2-3 shots just to get him out Smiley
Offline nva225

« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-03-25 23:20:42 »

You could just shoot the bunny towards the wall and he'll bounce off. The collisions are fairly (if not entirely) elastic.

Edit: Nvm. Just got stuck near a wall and it's still quite hard to get out of that position. Cool game though.
Offline SimonH
« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-03-25 23:43:54 »

But I'm in two minds as to whether to fill up the game with unusual (gimmicky?) obstacles like in mini-golf/crazy-golf, or to leave it as a serious (well, not that serious) golf game.
Grin Are you kidding? Your game is cute! Play it up - about the 3rd/4th hole have a hedgehog wandering about, bunny hits hedgehog, bunny squeaks and bounces off in random direction, hedgehog looks shocked - laughs all round!
I got to the 4th hole before I thought 'OK, I've got the idea...' Something new would have kept my interest for maybe 2/3 more holes - after that you could add a new ingredient - maybe a fox chasing, so you have to play quicker? It's all about maintaining the players interest... Face it; Bunny Golf is never going to be serious!

People make games and games make people
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline BloodRain

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-03-28 13:47:52 »

First time I played it I didn't know that you can move both the rabbits and I was trying to hit the "motionless" rabbit with the other one so that I move it in the hole   Grin . When close to a wall you can send the rabbit towards the wall and it will r bounce back.Great Game ! Wink
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-03-28 18:21:55 »

Quote from: Orangy Tang
How about adding contours to the holes? It would be a reasonably "serious" addition and it'd add quite a bit of variety of shots if you could deliberately use the slopes to your advantage.
Nice idea!  I'll try some experiments along those lines -- but I suspect it will be difficult to make the graphics for the slopes convincing.

Quote from: BloodRain
First time I played it I didn't know that you can move both the rabbits and I was trying to hit the "motionless" rabbit with the other one so that I move it in the hole   Grin .
Interesting interpretation!  But hey, if it's a fun way of playing the game then maybe it can become a new game mode! Cheesy

Cheers,
Simon

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-06-05 08:40:10 »

Update:

I've tweaked the game mechanics a bit so that getting stuck near a wall should be less of an issue.  (Among other things: the tail can extend a little way into the wall when you pull it back, and the dark grass is a bit less sticky during launch.)  Do tell me if you don't think these changes go far enough.

Also - more excitingly - the game is now wired for sound!  This is my first attempt at messing with Java Sound, so please tell me if there are any problems with it (except for the sound effects being rubbish, of course  Wink).

Cheers,
Simon

Offline keldon85

Medals: 1

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-06-05 08:58:13 »

It's an interesting game but the had can be quite ambiguous and it often feels like I am scratching a box for a pinhole when attempting to move a bunny.

Maybe extend the distance you can pick up the tail from and make the bunny glow when you can move it.

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-06-05 19:38:02 »

It's an interesting game but the hand can be quite ambiguous and it often feels like I am scratching a box for a pinhole when attempting to move a bunny.

Maybe extend the distance you can pick up the tail from and make the bunny glow when you can move it.

Hmm, yes, I can certainly make the hand less fussy when it's grabbing a tail.  I'll have to see what else I can do to make it clearer what's going on.  Maybe the game needs a very basic tutorial at the start to explain the tail-grabbing procedure?

Thanks for the comments!
Simon

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-07-31 17:48:45 »

Update:

The latest version is slightly more polished and features distinct one- and two-player modes.  The next step is to give it some proper levels.

Just thought you'd like to know...
Simon

Offline askoruli

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-08-01 05:53:12 »

Looking pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to the finished version.

What did you use to create front page menu? I'm at a point with my current project where I want to create something that looks pretty similar.

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-08-01 11:47:42 »

What did you use to create front page menu? I'm at a point with my current project where I want to create something that looks pretty similar.

Hi, askoruli.  Thanks for the comments.

The menu's not anything clever.  The game loop for the menu just creates a few button 'sprite' objects, then waits for those buttons to say that they've been clicked.  The buttons themselves are defined by RoundRectangle2D shapes (from java.awt.geom).  Those shapes are drawn on the screen (with different fill colours and line widths depending on the button's state) and are also used to determine (through the contains() function) whether the mouse pointer is over the button.  The text on a button is just a standard Java font, predrawn onto a BufferedImage for speed (although that's probably not a big issue in practice).

As I say, it's nothing particularly clever, but I can give more details if there's something specific you're wondering about.

Simon

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-08-07 15:08:16 »

Nice game. I just got one of my colleagues hooked while we wait for a meeting Smiley

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Simeon

Senior Newbie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-08-07 17:25:25 »

Nice! I think you should include some kind of visual reward for getting a hole-in-one Smiley
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-08-09 08:17:42 »

Nice! I think you should include some kind of visual reward for getting a hole-in-one Smiley

Well, I'm impressed at your hole-in-one, even if the game isn't.   Grin

Actually, I thought I'd changed the levels so that holes-in-one are impossible - but apparently not.  They probably should be impossible in two-player mode, but you're right that they need some kind of acknowledgement in one-player mode.

Cheers,
Simon

Offline keldon85

« Reply #21 - Posted 2007-08-09 08:41:28 »

Holes in one should be possible in 2 player mode; there's nothing wrong with it!

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #22 - Posted 2007-09-16 10:03:50 »

Update: new, improved grass.

Offline 2playgames

« Reply #23 - Posted 2007-09-16 10:16:00 »

I might add that this isn't Bunny Golf, it's Bunny Midget Golf Wink

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #24 - Posted 2007-09-18 12:02:32 »

Quote from: 2playgames
I might add that this isn't Bunny Golf, it's Bunny Midget Golf Wink

I'd heard of Mini Golf and Crazy Golf...  but Midget Golf sounded like the product of a cruel and twisted mind until Wikipedia told me that it was just another name for the same thing. Wink

Yes, you're right.  It's Bunny Mini/Crazy/Midget Golf without the novelty obstacles (at least for now).

Simon

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #25 - Posted 2007-09-19 08:17:57 »

Thinking about it, someone really should make a game called "Crazy Midget Minigolf".  A title like that is too good to waste!

Offline keldon85

« Reply #26 - Posted 2007-09-20 22:47:34 »

The varying levels of grass really adds depth to the game, but the friction needs to be calibrated a bit. It removes the skill part and makes your progression much more based on the luck of where you are placed since you only regain a small amount of lives after each stage and some placements will require more moves than others.

EDIT: still addictive, but more from the frustration value Smiley

Offline keldon85

« Reply #27 - Posted 2007-09-20 23:22:57 »

Okay, I've figured out what it's all about now! Every arrangement can be solved in two moves ... interesting thought!

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #28 - Posted 2007-09-21 13:35:34 »

Quote from: keldon85
The varying levels of grass really adds depth to the game, but the friction needs to be calibrated a bit.  [...]

Hi, keldon.  Thanks for the comments!

Pretty much every update to the game has reduced the friction of the rough grass.  The friction needs to be reasonably high though for the rough grass to act as barrier -- but new players always seem surprised by how rough it is.  Playing Tip: AVOID THE ROUGH GRASS!  Maybe if I replaced the rough grass with pools of magma people would get the idea.   Grin

Okay, I've figured out what it's all about now! Every arrangement can be solved in two moves ... interesting thought!

Yes, that's the way the (one-player) game has ended up.  The levels have been carefully designed so that you can always get in the hole in two shots (or moves, or hops), and your number of lives doesn't reduce provided that you don't take more than two shots per hole.  Run out of lives and the game ends, of course.

I thought at first about giving the game the same rules as golf, with a final score compared with par after nine or eighteen holes...  but I suspect that a lot of people would lose interest before completing that number of holes.   Sad

I'm all ears if anyone has better suggestions for how the game should be played!

Simon

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #29 - Posted 2008-01-24 13:48:34 »

Update: The final version!  http://www.dishmoth.com/BunnyGolf.html

At least, it's the final version unless you guys think otherwise!  Grin

(In particular, I've only been able to check the full-screen mode on some older versions of Windows, so any feedback on how well that works would be welcome.)

Cheers,
Simon

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (19 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (44 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (25 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (32 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (39 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (50 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org