Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java vs C++  (Read 7932 times)
Offline kfoong

Senior Newbie

umm... something...

« Posted 2003-07-28 07:12:37 »

I've just been trying to learn to do C++ Win32 programming using Visual C++, and I've given up on it because it was co complicated. I read somewhere that learning java beforehand makes learning C++ easier. I've looked at the java language and its way easier than Win32 C++ (in my opinion). So I was hoping for my Java skills to be a full path not just a step towards Win32 C++. But there's a problem. I've read in an article that Java is about 20 to 50 times slower than C++. But it also said it keeps getting upgraded to make it faster. Another thing that is bothering me in java is the buttons but im quite sure that you can change them.  Another thing is that I've never heard of a commercial game that is made from java. So can someone tell me more good points about java and the commercial games that were made by it?
Offline Herkules

Senior Devvie

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-07-28 07:24:00 »

Forget about the performance issue - C++ and Java are near to even in complex projects.

Forget about learning Java to get closer to C++. You will never be able to enjoy C++ if you've worked with Java once.

Commercial games with Java .... ok, thats difficult. There are only very small-scale examples .... you'd be the first....

But if you are dealing with buttons and try to learn a language, you really shouldn't bother about commercial games. There is still a long way to go and everything can happen on that way.

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline kfoong

Senior Newbie

umm... something...

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-07-28 09:40:24 »

so what do you think i should do then? Forget about java and learn C++?  Sad
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herkules

Senior Devvie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-07-28 10:12:13 »

What's your goal, and which goal is in reach?

I don't advice anybody to learn C++ the days. C++ is kind of the COBOL of this millenium. It's ugly and difficult.

But C++ IS the de facto gaming standard language today for mainstream games. No way around that.
So if you want to write a AAA, mainstream title NOW, use C++. But can you really do that? It's LONG way from learning a language to writing a AAA game. 5 years?

Much closer would be to write simple (or not so simple) applet games? Learn the principles of OO? Java is good for that.

As I mentioned, learning Java takes you far away from knowing C++. But maybe, in 5 years, C++ is no longer a must. I don't know wether Java will be the no.1 language that (to be honest, I doubt that), but I'm quite sure the one of the newer languages around (like Java, C#) will be the language of choice.

And - you can use you Java knowledge very good if you don't do games.....

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 422
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-07-28 10:36:33 »

Hey! We're commercial! Cool

Cas Smiley

Offline Herkules

Senior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-07-28 10:45:14 »

Yes, sure, commercial, I know.

I hope it's no offense grouping AF under 'small-scale' - the scale ranges up to SplinterCell, HL2 and such.

(BTW, as soon as I get a new job, I will buy me an AF...  Wink )

Offline kfoong

Senior Newbie

umm... something...

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-07-28 11:03:01 »

My goal is to make a programming language  that makes games easily. Like Game Maker, 3D Game Studio, Dark Basic, and Blitz Basic 3D. Would Java be the 'appropriate' language to use?
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161