Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (466)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  judging / results TBA  (Read 18500 times)
Offline woogley
« Posted 2007-03-01 06:04:09 »

thanks for a great contest everyone.

we will begin judging very soon, and we will post the results within the next few weeks.

we have 65 games to judge this year. the biggest 4K yet! Smiley
Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 11
Projects: 6
Exp: 10 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-03-01 06:15:04 »

can we also have a public vote winner? i am thinking maybe a "rate this game" button for each of the submissions?

i.e. a simple 1-5 rating and maybe an optional text box to get some interesting replies to help make better games for next year?

I found reading the replies of the judges quite informative about the aspects which affect a game's position in the competition.

Having more replies would be even better!

Edit: I also find it odd that i cannot find the link to the results of 2006 or 2005 on the site... i had to go to  wikipedia to find them.
Offline woogley
« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-03-01 06:16:18 »

i am in the process of implementing an approval-voting style public vote Smiley

thanks for bringing this up, though
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

Medals: 2
Projects: 10

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-03-01 11:36:21 »

Yay, approval voting! :>
I think this is turning out nicely - we're seeing a great number of good games this year, good work everyone! No clear winners this time, though. I guess I blame Markus and kev (they both made great games for this year's j4k, of course, but as I understand it neither had the time to do a new miners or t4xi) Wink Gives us mortals a chance though Tongue

My personal favorites for the winner? Well, TankZone, Goop, aichess4k all ought to make the top 5 (in no particular order), at least. Then there's 4k V-ball, Metro4k, Pipe Extreme, etc, etc... it'll be most interesting, I think. Smiley

In fact, there are so many high-quality games it's almost impossible to decide which ones I like more. That's always a good sign :>

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 49
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-03-01 16:16:56 »

Wow... so many games have been submitted in the last couple of weeks that I really haven't had time to look at them all. I feel sorry for the judges Smiley 65 games? wow.

I think earlier submitted games will have a bit of a advantage, since judges and others will most likely have more experience with them.

I actually have no favorite game, all games are just fine... I don't have my hopes up on my own games, I'll be happy if I don't land in the bottom 5 Smiley

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-03-01 16:42:17 »

I wish I had more time..

This year  I have been very busy, my game programming time got near to 0 during the contest, other years I had 7 or more prototypes (resulting in 2 to 3 games submitted), this year I only had 3.

Rafael.-

PD: Will this be the year of the LWJGL16K ??
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-03-01 18:26:48 »

i am in the process of implementing an approval-voting style public vote Smiley

thanks for bringing this up, though

You should be able to vote for like your favorite 5-10 games, instead of just choosing 1 game.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 284
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-03-01 20:21:30 »

So what's the deal with judging then Woogles?

Cas Smiley

Offline woogley
« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-03-01 21:08:12 »

well, first I have to archive all of the entries onto my server (so PLEASE keep your links alive everyone)

then I will be contacting the judges that CaptainJester has rounded up to start the process.
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-03-03 03:44:11 »

Cas Smiley

Oh boy, time for the little known, but always fun, annual 4k 'how should judging be conducted' flame war!  Woohoo!  Similar to the annual 'pack200' flame war but flamier!

I think there should be a rule that the screen shots on the games list must be actual screenshots from the games.  The picture of the dog is very....  not in the spirit.  I mean really, you see that and your like, WTF?  I thought this was a games contest!

Lots of games, however I don't believe the qaulity is as high as in years past: only one Kev Glass game, only one Rick game and NOT a Markus Perrson game to found.  Cry

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline hclower

Projects: 2

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-03-03 14:41:54 »

Oh boy, time for the little known, but always fun, annual 4k 'how should judging be conducted' flame war!  Woohoo!  Similar to the annual 'pack200' flame war but flamier!

Oh, just wait until the post-judging flamewar. Smiley

I think there should be a rule that the screen shots on the games list must be actual screenshots from the games.  The picture of the dog is very....  not in the spirit.  I mean really, you see that and your like, WTF?  I thought this was a games contest!

I agree with this one- I think that, if nothing else, using an actual game screenshot as your image should be strongly encouraged.

Lots of games, however I don't believe the qaulity is as high as in years past: only one Kev Glass game, only one Rick game and NOT a Markus Perrson game to found.  Cry

Look at it this way: That means us mere mortals have a chance at winning. Smiley

- HC
Offline woogley
« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-03-03 15:42:37 »

i don't see a problem with screenshots that are not taken in-game. just look at Will's game back in the day: http://javaunlimited.net/games/view.php?id=48

i'm never going to disallow it, because next year you'll be able to post multiple/large screenshots anyway, which will give you freedom to create a "title screen" of sorts.
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-03-05 11:45:39 »

There actually was a Markus game, l4krits. Seems he never submitted it officially though :/

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 12
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-03-07 17:04:51 »

Yeah, I officially wanted the "mortals" to have a chance. Wink
(actually, the game just sucked)

Six months of wurm online for the winner! Grin

Play Minecraft!
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-03-07 17:09:28 »

Six months of wurm online for the winner! Grin

I doubt anyone taking part in this competition was doing it for the prize Smiley But still fun.

We should advertise this competition as much as we can. I've showed this to few of my co-workers and they were very interested in this. More interest = more companies want to give some prize awards = bigger competitions = more programmers = cooler games

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-03-07 18:27:16 »

I doubt anyone taking part in this competition was doing it for the prize Smiley But still fun.

We should advertise this competition as much as we can. I've showed this to few of my co-workers and they were very interested in this. More interest = more companies want to give some prize awards = bigger competitions = more programmers = cooler games
Hey, don' t diss wurm  Grin. But yeah, you are right, doubt ppls motivation to enter is the chance of winning prices. Part of the charm with this compo is the very friendly atmosphere. Bigger prizes could be a double edged sword... More contributions are always nice though.

Offline Son Of Cain

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-03-07 18:29:18 »

Yes, definitely. I couldn't participate this year (it would be my first time at 4k), for many reasons, but I'm looking forward to the next year. A big sponsor helps a lot, but not because of the prizes it could give, but the notoriety.. developers would come to the contest simply because it is sponsored by X or Y company, and the benefits of that were mentioned on the previous post already.

My only suggestion would be to restrict, every once in a while, the contest theme; Today you can write any game you want, but in some random years it could be required a certain genre or another extra requirement other than the 4K-size jar. Just to change it a bit and keep it interesting (not that it isn't nowadays, but I hope you get my point).

Rodrigo
Offline woogley
« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-03-07 18:39:35 »

My only suggestion would be to restrict, every once in a while, the contest theme

I wouldn't bother doing a themed 4K contest, because thinking of a good 4K game idea is hard enough already! Smiley

I do, however, randomly run themed contests when I'm bored:
http://javaunlimited.net/mario/

Wink
Offline Son Of Cain

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-03-07 19:59:56 »

Oh yeah, and I had a good time playing those entries Grin

Apart from themes, maybe these 'restrictions' could be technology related; I heard one of the submissions of this year's contest uses skeletal animation; I've seen people playing with ray tracing.. I understand the impact of such restrictions on the broad concept of the contest, but since we have one year between one 4k and another, we could have these little restrictions in-between contests to produce code that provides lots of insight on 'real' (aka larger) projects, and fun while we do it  Wink
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-03-08 03:19:15 »

Three words:

LWJGL 16k Contest

nuff said.
Offline woogley
« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-03-08 06:21:58 »

and for those who dont feel like getting hardcore into LWJGL:

Slick 16k contest
Offline Eliwood

Stencyl

« Reply #21 - Posted 2007-03-08 08:14:34 »

and for those who dont feel like getting hardcore into LWJGL:

Slick 16k contest

I would actually prefer that very much to just a plain 16K LWJGL contest. Might give that a go if it happened. Smiley

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #22 - Posted 2007-03-08 11:10:11 »

It will be hard to find a compo that can compete with 4k in number of contributions, but I think that a themed slick compo could be a lots of fun. But slick probably have to mature a bit first. Skeletal animation sounds like a cool theme.  Smiley

Offline Son Of Cain

« Reply #23 - Posted 2007-03-08 13:00:33 »

We are getting off topic, are we not?  Tongue

I have nothing against Slick - in fact, I love it! But I guess it should be a LWJGL 16K contest... seems like a "standard" to me, I don't know how else to explain (it's early in the morning here and my English is still sleeping =).

As for themes, they could be technology-related, as I suggested before, but a game would be required, not only demos. I shouldn't need to mention that, but I did just in case someone argues this would be "cold" type contest. Demos are cool, but not as fun as games, everyone certainly agree with that.

As for suggestions for themes... that's a subject for a whole new thread.
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #24 - Posted 2007-03-08 13:32:55 »

Markus: l4krits didn't suck. It was buggy, yes, but in a way the most addictive game this yar Cheesy

16 kb in Slick or LWJGL is enough to make basically any kind of game one wants to do, and shifts the focus from size to library (I'm not saying that's better or worse, just stating facts). I'd love for it to happen, though, as experience shows me it's about the right size limit for my slick and lwjgl projects. I'd prefer having a slick contest to an lwjgl one, if nothing else because you'll still be able to use lwjgl in the slick contest, but not the other way around.

Themes in the 4k is in my opinion not a very good idea. With the relatively small size of the 4k contest as it is (yes, I know, it's big for its kind but it's still a relatively small contest compared to others out there), I'd say further restrictions would produce too few games. It's, as woogley pointed out, hard enough to come up with original ideas as it is Smiley

Offline rdcarvallo

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #25 - Posted 2007-03-08 18:22:52 »

How is the judging going??
Completion %??

And as I said before, Bring on the  LWJGL16K 2007!!

Offline woogley
« Reply #26 - Posted 2007-03-09 06:22:47 »

as i said before, judging results will be available in the coming weeks

there's no sense in rushing it like last year
Offline rdcarvallo

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2007-03-12 16:12:42 »

Woogley,

Did you copy the games to your Computer?
   I want to update Road Fighter, but I don't know if I can.

Rafael.-

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2007-03-14 16:49:50 »

as i said before, judging results will be available in the coming weeks

there's no sense in rushing it like last year

No need to keep us anxious for months  Grin

Offline userek

Projects: 1

« Reply #29 - Posted 2007-03-14 22:48:23 »

No need to keep us anxious for months  Grin
Not that im expeting to win, but yes, i prefer rushing myself Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (78 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (70 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (81 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (66 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (82 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (106 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (166 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (262 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (212 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (221 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org