Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39
  ignore  |  Print  
  TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL  (Read 202445 times)
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #1080 - Posted 2012-11-06 22:05:27 »

Some things I'd really like:

1. Windowed mode... I just really prefer windowed mode... I don't think it's just me...
2. Please add a framerate cap. I hate hearing my graphics card cry out loud...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline theagentd
« Reply #1081 - Posted 2012-11-07 22:25:56 »

2. Please add a OPTIONAL framerate cap. I hate hearing my graphics card cry out loud...
FTFY.

(If you're an Nvidia user you can limit the FPS in your drivers for all games with Nvidia Inspector.)

Myomyomyo.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1082 - Posted 2012-11-07 22:36:05 »

Looks more like pre alpha to me, im sorry but its not playable on my pc.
100fps, but the player is stuttering to move forward.
Also the mouse is not visible or working.
i can walk trough the glitched guy, the wall stops me correctly i think.
I cant use or see any weapons.
I already explained in this thread that it is called "pre-beta" but it is not yet in a correct state, it is very incomplete, it doesn't deserve to be shown as a pre-beta. That's why the main link still points to the other alpha. I don't reproduce this "stuttering", the mouse is working but there is no crosshair yet, the collisions are not fully working except partially for walls. You can use the weapons, you have to pick them up, then pick up some ammo (the green box), reload them (by pressing R) before shooting (left mouse button).

Some things I'd really like:

1. Windowed mode... I just really prefer windowed mode... I don't think it's just me...
It's already done, just press F11. Sorry, I have forgotten to update the "controls" section :s

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1
Exp: 3 years

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #1083 - Posted 2012-11-07 22:43:30 »

Haha oke, sorry 37 pages is a bit much to read.
With mouse not working, i ment i can seem to shoot, but i see i need to do some more actions to make it work.
Maybe its nice if there was an icon of the current weapon showing + ammo / loaded ammo.
Stuttering happens when the player is moving, so it could be delta rounded to much (with my 100 fps)?
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1084 - Posted 2012-11-07 22:53:53 »

Haha oke, sorry 37 pages is a bit much to read.
With mouse not working, i ment i can seem to shoot, but i see i need to do some more actions to make it work.
Maybe its nice if there was an icon of the current weapon showing + ammo / loaded ammo.
I see what you mean but there is a menu showing all controls. Usually people don't read the instructions, it's not my fault. The ammo and the loaded ammo are shown in the bottom left corner, in white but the icons are missing.

Stuttering happens when the player is moving, so it could be delta rounded to much (with my 100 fps)?

I will have to check that on a better machine.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1085 - Posted 2012-11-08 18:17:57 »

Could you please re-calculate the projection matrix, when the user resizes the window? That would be pretty helpful... I think you also need to re-set the viewport, since I have a problem playing this on one monitor windowed... Because the point where I look at is right at the right mid of the window.

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1086 - Posted 2012-11-08 20:13:24 »

Could you please re-calculate the projection matrix, when the user resizes the window? That would be pretty helpful... I think you also need to re-set the viewport, since I have a problem playing this on one monitor windowed... Because the point where I look at is right at the right mid of the window.
Actually, I didn't want to allow the user to resize the window...

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1087 - Posted 2012-11-08 20:44:31 »

I would really like to have this feature.

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1088 - Posted 2012-11-08 22:03:01 »

I would really like to have this feature.
Historically, canvases in Ardor3D were not designed to be resized... which is a bit silly. I will ask Renanse if he would like me to remove this limitation. If he agrees with me, I will implement it directly in Ardor3D, otherwise I will do it only in TUER.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1089 - Posted 2012-11-08 22:11:51 »

matheus23, when do you want to resize the window? The cursor is hidden when you're playing, it would be better to be allowed to switch to windowed mode earlier in the main menu.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1090 - Posted 2012-11-08 22:13:31 »

matheus23, when do you want to resize the window? The cursor is hidden when you're playing, it would be better to be allowed to switch to windowed mode earlier in the main menu.

I would like to be able to resize, just when the app starts...
And I think for that you need to enable the app to be switchable to windowed mode with F11 even when not in-game.
I think F11 failed in the menu.

EDIT: Yes, you're right btw, I was only able to resize the window at one single specific mouse pixel position on the edge of the window... or at the top two edges Wink

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1091 - Posted 2012-11-08 23:12:53 »

I will probably be forced to allow to choose a size only in a specific menu before entering the game because if I use a PBuffer or a FBO for post effects, I will have to resize it too if the user is allowed to resize the window whenever he wants.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1092 - Posted 2012-11-09 00:22:45 »

There is a small bug in NEWT. Sometimes the window has a wrong size (100 * 100) when it switches to windowed mode.

As a first step, I will disable the switch until this bug is fixed. I wrote a request for enhancement to allow to drive the window non resizeable too.

As a second step, I will add a menu allowing to choose the resolution and to choose whether or not the full screen mode is enabled.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1093 - Posted 2012-11-10 12:05:07 »

Hi

There is a small bug in NEWT. Sometimes the window has a wrong size (100 * 100) when it switches to windowed mode.
Actually, it was a bug in my own source code and I've just fixed it.

I'm trying to implement the rest of the feature now.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1094 - Posted 2012-11-26 21:25:01 »

Hi

I've improved the options, it is now possible to change the screen resolution.

The unit test of the fifth step is ready. There is still a bug in the merge, maybe the algorithm is completely wrong but I've found no existing algorithm for my problem.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1095 - Posted 2012-11-28 19:55:18 »

Hi

I'm going to explain to you the main operations of the fifth step. It takes a grid of squares in input and it tries to merge them to create the fewest rectangles.

For example, I use that in input:
[  ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ]
[  ][  ][  ][X][  ][  ][  ][  ]
[  ][X][X][X][X][X][X][X]
[  ][  ][X][X][X][X][  ][  ]
[  ][X][X][X][X][  ][  ][  ]
[  ][  ][X][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ]

I get that in output:
[X]

[X][X][X][X][X][X][X]

[X][X][X][X]

[X]

[X][X][X][X]
[X][X][X][X]

or that:
[X]

[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]

[X][X]

I would like to get that:
[X]

[X]

[X]

[X]
[X]

[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]

[X]
[X]

[X][X]

If you have an idea, let me know.

Edit.1: I get that now, it is a bit better:
[X]

[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]
[X]

[X]

[X][X][X][X][X]

[X][X][X]

[X][X]
[X][X]

The source code is here:
https://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tuer/pre_beta/jfpsm/CoplanarAdjacentRightTrianglesWithCanonical2DTextureCoordinatesMerger.java

Edit.2: It works fine now:
Input:

Output:
[X]

[X]

[X]

[X]
[X]

[X]
[X]

[X][X]

[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #1096 - Posted 2012-11-29 14:38:46 »

Spamming the forum with such posts isn't helpful (currently at a monologue of 7 posts). Better to batch up your updates and only post when you have something substantial to show case.
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 339
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #1097 - Posted 2012-11-29 21:24:35 »

Indeed... think most of this thread actually belongs in Julien's blog.

Cas Smiley

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1098 - Posted 2012-11-29 21:39:02 »

Hi

Spamming the forum with such posts isn't helpful
As a first step, I didn't understand what you meant, I even asked Riven what was going on. Then, I looked at Wikipedia, I found that:
Usenet convention defines spamming as excessive multiple posting, that is, the repeated posting of a message (or substantially similar messages)
I should have merged a few posts as they might have appeared similar. That's fixed now. Usually I try to edit existing posts to avoid such cases, I'm sorry.

(currently at a monologue of 7 posts). Better to batch up your updates and only post when you have something substantial to show case.
I just hope that this minor problem is not an occasion to laugh about my project. My "monologue" has been read by some people, I haven't forced them to do so. The notion of substantiality sometimes depends on subjective criteria. The graphics of my game are absolutely ugly, I'm not a computer artist, I don't have tons of pretty things to show. If only this kind of things is considered substantial even in the WIP section, then I have almost nothing to show about my game. I'm on a forum for Java game programmers, I assume I can talk about other aspects, not only the graphics. You could have simply sent me a private message instead of loudly complaining about that here. Why is there nobody to remove completely off topic posts like this one?

Indeed... think most of this thread actually belongs in Julien's blog.
Sorry, what do you mean?

Edit.: I have generalized the implementation of a part of my algorithm so that one of my former colleagues can use it.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1099 - Posted 2012-11-29 21:43:30 »

Why is there nobody to remove completely off topic posts like this one?
Nobody complained, and I try to keep moderation to a minimum. It's very easy to create an atmosphere were people start to think twice about posting. I like to keep JGO as 'light' as possible in that regard. Everybody should feel free to post anything, until I receive a complaint, or I think something is offensive.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1100 - Posted 2012-11-29 21:58:38 »

I realize that my previous schemas were not very easy to understand. All adjacent right triangles located in the same plane are stored by pairs, there is a pair per cell. I store these pairs in a 2D array. This array is often obviously not full. I have to reduce the count of full arrays in order to reduce the complexity of the mesh sent to the graphics card. The fewer rectangles I get, the fewer quads will be necessary to represent the whole mesh. That's exactly what I have succeeded to do as you can see below:

Instead of having 21 quads, I only use 7 quads, each one is represented with a different color. Best regards.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1101 - Posted 2012-11-30 04:17:18 »

I have respect for your capability to handle code with so many indentation levels. (up to 20!)

Never needed to scroll horizontally to read the full name of a variable before Wink
boolean oneCommonSideCorrectVertexOrder2oppositeSidesOfSameLength=false;

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1102 - Posted 2012-11-30 09:16:40 »

When this class becomes too fat, I will have to split them into smaller ones and it will be fine to avoid using static methods. Eclipse already puts tabs even though I modify its settings, it drives the source code harder to read outside of this IDE.

Never needed to scroll horizontally to read the full name of a variable before Wink
boolean oneCommonSideCorrectVertexOrder2oppositeSidesOfSameLength=false;

Sorry. I try to comment this class as much as possible and I really need such names. If I call this variable 0cscvo2ososl, I will have to remember its real meaning while reading the source code whereas this very long name already tells me exactly in which case I am.

Edit.: My website was unavailable for several hours because of a problem on Sourceforge.net. It should work fine anew now.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1103 - Posted 2012-12-01 12:35:35 »

Hi

I have just tried to fix the stuttering reported by RobinB. I just skip auto-repeat events thanks to NEWT. I will update the Java Web Start demo today.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1104 - Posted 2012-12-14 13:48:39 »

Hi

I have just found a workaround for a regression in the JNLP parsing introduced in Java 1.6 update 37 and Java 1.7 update 9:
Known Issues

Area: deploy/webstart
Synopsis: Regression - Issue in parsing jvm args for Java Web Start relaunch on Unix platforms.

Some combinations of java-vm-args and <property> elements in a jnlp file may cause some properties to be set incorrectly when Java Web Start is forced to relaunch. The problem is applicable to Solaris and Linux platforms.

In some cases, adding dummy property elements to the jnlp file may help prevent the problem.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u9-relnotes-1863279.html

I have updated my game, it should work correctly. I don't really understand how the maximum direct memory size is set by default, especially in Java 1.7. If it is set to the maximum heap size, I won't have to use -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize any more.
@Riven, do you know how it works? Is there a difference between Java 1.6 and Java 1.7 for the handling of this VM option? Maybe I should dig a bit in the source code. I use sun.nio.MaxDirectMemorySize too.

I've almost ended up implementing the sixth step of my optimization. I will try to implement the 7th and the 8th steps before the end of December.

Edit.: The sixth step is ready.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1105 - Posted 2012-12-18 14:22:05 »

Hi

- No slide collisions on the walls (I remember it was implemented on old versions...) and no collision at all outside Cry .
I agree on the sliding thing...once you hit a wall, you get stuck, which is very annoying and not what you would expect.
I've just repaired this feature, the fix is not very smart:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/statemachine/GameState.java?r1=588&r2=623
I will update the demo soon. I pay attention to constructive remarks and suggestions.

I try to prevent the weapon from being clipped into other 3D objects by drawing it after all other meshes and by clearing the z-buffer just before drawing it but it doesn't work yet.

I'm working on the 7th step of the optimization.

Edit.: The weapon is no more clipped into other 3D objects thanks to this change:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/statemachine/GameState.java?r1=623&r2=626

Edit.2: I've just updated the demo: http://tuer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp

Offline Roquen
« Reply #1106 - Posted 2012-12-20 17:24:09 »

Why clear the zbuffer?  Just change the range on the depth buffer when rendering the weapon.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1107 - Posted 2012-12-21 14:22:56 »

Hi

Why clear the zbuffer?  Just change the range on the depth buffer when rendering the weapon.
It's a possible solution too. Why would it be better than clearing the z-buffer?

I have just ended up with implementing the 8th step of the optimizer but I need to test it (a lot) as only a part of the 5th step is covered by a unit test. I remind that this optimizer is based on a suggestion of a French computer artist in March 30th, 2010, it has required lots of work, I really expect an important increase of the frame rate from it.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1108 - Posted 2012-12-22 13:14:58 »

Hi

I have just started to test the whole optimizer:
- first step: OK
- second step: OK
- third step: OK
- fourth step: NOK (the test about vertex order seems to be wrong)
- fifth step: partially OK (the first algorithm loops forever, the second one works in its separate unit test)
- sixth step: untested
- seventh step: untested
- eighth step: untested

I don't think that I will have enough time to fix it this week but I still hope to make it work before 2013.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1109 - Posted 2012-12-23 22:13:13 »

Hi

I uploaded a corrupted JAR, the demo does not work any more, I will fix it soon. Best regards.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (33 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (29 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (24 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (26 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (41 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (31 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (29 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (65 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org