Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39
  ignore  |  Print  
  TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL  (Read 215082 times)
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1050 - Posted 2012-07-22 10:19:04 »

Hi

The alpha fluctuates between 500 and 1000 fps...either 500 or 1000, nothing in between. Looks like as if the fps counter is flawed in that one.
Maybe it is a bit flawed because I don't use the common hack to force the use of the high precision timer under Windows. However, I get about 1700 frames per second with some high end graphics cards under GNU Linux and the alpha version sends only a very few data to the graphics card, the result is not surprising.

The newer version runs @ around 120fps.
It's not that bad but still not fast enough for a very simple level.

System: Core i7 2600K @ 4Ghz, Windows 7 64bit, 16GB, Java 7.something, GeForce GTX 680, resolution 1920*1200
Thank you very much for testing, really. I get similar results with Dell Precision latest laptops, the frame rate is 3 times higher with the newer version but as it is a bit flawed...

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1051 - Posted 2012-07-22 21:51:13 »

I've just updated the demo. The vertical synchronization is off by default. It is now possible to switch from full screen mode to windowed mode and vice versa by pressing F11 (I will add a menu to do the same thing later). Pressing carriage return was necessary to go from the initialization state to the introduction state, I fixed that bug. Best regards.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1052 - Posted 2012-07-23 20:42:40 »

Someone has just tested the both versions of my game with an ATI Radeon X600:
- alpha version: 55 FPS
- pre-beta version: 8 FPS

I will update the demo tomorrow, I now detect Microsoft's software emulation drivers and I display a warning message instead of crashing. I still work on the artificial intelligence and the WaveFront OBJ exporter for Ardor3D.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1053 - Posted 2012-07-24 22:27:41 »

I have driven the loading of JFPSM project files more robust but the most important piece of news is the huge performance improvement. Please find below the statistics obtained during the test with a graphical card Nvidia Quadro 2000:
alpha version: 1000 FPS
pre-beta version: 77 FPS
pre-beta + portal culling: [100 , 181] ~ 140 FPS
pre-beta + portal culling + hack: 2427 FPS

I just used a small piece of level to simulate the result of the portal culling. The hack consists in removing all context manipulations (makeCurrent() and release()) and using a queue. I still have to simulate the result of my mesh optimizer (which merges coplanar adjacent right triangles whose all 2D texture coordinates are canonical). Of course, the hack has no noticeable effect if the vertical synchronization is enabled or if the frame rate is so low that makeCurrent() has a negligible impact.

These results are quite promising and motivating even though they have to be interpreted with care because I have almost no idea of the CPU time necessary to perform the real time portal culling (my previous implementation was very rudimentary).

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 842
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1054 - Posted 2012-07-25 01:37:18 »

I still have to simulate the result of my mesh optimizer (which merges coplanar adjacent right triangles whose all 2D texture coordinates are canonical)
coplanar? How often is that going to happen? I can imagine it's only really usable for walls, floors and ceilings, but the triangle count there is (supposed to be) so low that performance will not be drastically affected by merging triangles.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1055 - Posted 2012-08-14 18:35:22 »

Hi

I still have to simulate the result of my mesh optimizer (which merges coplanar adjacent right triangles whose all 2D texture coordinates are canonical)
coplanar? How often is that going to happen? I can imagine it's only really usable for walls, floors and ceilings, but the triangle count there is (supposed to be) so low that performance will not be drastically affected by merging triangles.
Actually, it is almost useless for outdoor environments whereas it is quite useful for indoor ones. As most environments of my game are indoor, it is quite logical to optimize this case. Reducing the triangle count has a bigger effect on old hardware. If I use both portal culling and my mesh optimizer, the latter won't drastically improve the performance as most of the job will be done by the former because the remaining surfaces whose vertices are in the VBOs will be so small that the performance increase (compared to passing the triangles with no merge) will be very small too. However, my game will have a lower memory footprint and JFPSM will have lower memory requirement to compute cells and portals with this optimization. I already wrote that the first level of TUER is composed of 255 484 triangles, my mesh optimizer merges the 384 triangles of the first room into 14, how could this feature be useless?

I implemented a minimal artificial intelligence during SIGGRAPH 2012, the source code is on Sven's laptop, I will commit it as soon as possible. The fifth step of the mesh optimizer will be ready in one or two weeks.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 842
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1056 - Posted 2012-08-15 00:07:23 »

Looking at your specific scene, I can imagine that you could simply use 1 quad for the floor of the entire level. As everything is indoor, nobody will see that the 'world-size quad' continues behind the walls.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1057 - Posted 2012-08-15 13:09:31 »

Yes, your suggestion would be nice only for a quick test on this specific level.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #1058 - Posted 2012-08-16 00:53:37 »

I have to say, Julien, much as people make fun of you over TUER (me included), kudos for sticking with it. I think having the drive to actually finish a game is really the most important attribute for a game dev to have. Well, behind a working brain, of course, but you seem to have one of those.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1059 - Posted 2012-09-02 08:27:40 »

Hi

I have to say, Julien, much as people make fun of you over TUER (me included), kudos for sticking with it.
People have laughed about me since 1986? 1987? Nobody will stop me.

I think having the drive to actually finish a game is really the most important attribute for a game dev to have. Well, behind a working brain, of course, but you seem to have one of those.
Thanks. TUER is living the most important acceleration of its development since 2006. Step by step, as time goes by, the pre-beta version is becoming a "game", the soldier is now able to notice that your gun points to his direction. The memory footprint of JFPSM has been divided by more than 10 since 2010.

I have almost finished the implementation of the fifth step, the test of my algorithm will probably start in a few days.

My computer is broken once more, it doesn't accept DVI output anymore. I have to use my very old ATI Radeon 9250 Pro. I think that I will keep my current computer only for testing and buy a better one soon.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 139
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #1060 - Posted 2012-09-02 15:21:04 »

Great job sticking to it for more than 5 years...it'll pay off.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1061 - Posted 2012-09-04 21:28:05 »

Hi

Great job sticking to it for more than 5 years...it'll pay off.
Thanks. I hope you're right. I have just spent more than an hour to write emails to demand the removal of defamatory contents, I'm tired. A young guy even claimed that I use Doom's artworks, he has a lot of shit in the eyes lol. I removed all traces of a former model used in the MD3 loader because he did a confusion with Lara Croft whereas the woman model I used was quite... different, you see what I mean... very slim, small tits, not like Lara Croft except a small similarity in their faces.

Some people complained about old bugs in the alpha version. I updated it, there is now a big warning indicating that they should switch to the pre-beta version next year.

I would like to fully implement the fifth step but I hardly keep concentrated more than 20 minutes because of my personal problems. I don't want my project to suffer from them, there are still tons of features to implement.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1062 - Posted 2012-09-21 18:14:52 »

Hi

I implemented the fifth step last evening, I will test the five first steps as soon as possible before implementing the three last ones.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1063 - Posted 2012-10-29 20:46:52 »

Hi

Maybe you know Oracle broke something important again in Java Web Start. I thought it concerned only trusted certificates but it seems to concern self signed certificates too under Mac OS X 10.8. Please can you clear your Java Web Start cache and try to run my game under Windows 7 and/or Mac OS X 10.8.2 with Oracle Java 1.7 update 7 (or later)?
This is here as usual.

I reported this bug and it will be fixed in Java 1.7 update 12 but I need to know whether I have to make a separate report for the problem occurring under Mac.

I will try to update the road map of my game tomorrow evening.

Offline Grunnt

JGO Kernel

Medals: 95
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #1064 - Posted 2012-10-29 22:10:51 »

I've just been reading this thread open-mouthed, and could play an alpha version of TUER (the one with the cool retro map of Europe intro). I love how persistent you are Cheesy You must have learned a massive amount while working on this. That's a big gain by itself.

Good luck!

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1065 - Posted 2012-10-29 23:50:54 »

I've just been reading this thread open-mouthed, and could play an alpha version of TUER (the one with the cool retro map of Europe intro).
I'm happy to learn you like it. People get lost with all these versions. Actually, the map of Europe is used in the version that should become the "pre-beta". I'm sorry for the soldier, he's a bit silly, he only attempts to shoot when you point your gun in his direction or if you look straight at him.

I love how persistent you are Cheesy You must have learned a massive amount while working on this. That's a big gain by itself.

Good luck!
Yes, that's one of the most important thing, I learned a lot of things even though the graphics are ugly and the gameplay is far from being complete. Thank you very much. If Oracle stopped breaking Java Web Start, I would feel better.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1066 - Posted 2012-11-01 23:57:42 »

Hi

You can find some news about my project (which is now 6 years old) here:
http://tinyurl.com/d8hc4ad

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #1067 - Posted 2012-11-03 21:39:41 »

WOW! Just took a short look.

Very intresting stuff there... creating levels from the real world (OpenStreetMap map loading...). VERY intresting!

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1068 - Posted 2012-11-04 00:42:14 »

Hi

Thanks.

Very intresting stuff there... creating levels from the real world (OpenStreetMap map loading...). VERY intresting!
You can try OSM2World, there is an example using JOGL 2.0 in its Git repository on Github. It's a promising feature but I will have to improve the performance in order to keep all this quite fast and playable.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1069 - Posted 2012-11-04 12:12:13 »

Hi

Thanks.

You can try OSM2World, there is an example using JOGL 2.0 in its Git repository on Github. It's a promising feature but I will have to improve the performance in order to keep all this quite fast and playable.
Imagine an FPS where you could explore the WHOLE WORLD! :OOO
AWESOME!

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1070 - Posted 2012-11-04 12:47:21 »

Hi

Thanks.

Imagine an FPS where you could explore the WHOLE WORLD! :OOO
AWESOME!
You can get the necessary OSM files here:
http://metro.teczno.com/
I advise you to use the files containing XML OSM data. As you can see, there are lots of data. I think it is possible to use the biggest file containing the whole data of the Earth but you will need a very powerful machine with lots of RAM to run OSM2World on it. Then, you will have to split the mesh into smaller ones and to avoid keeping several chunks in memory.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #1071 - Posted 2012-11-04 12:52:24 »

The planet file is here:
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1072 - Posted 2012-11-04 12:54:49 »

The planet file is here:
23 GB? wow...
I expected it to be more Tongue

Since you already need 11 Gigs for TF2 and (I think) 13 Gigs for BF3 and (about) 20 Gigs or so for the Flight simulator, this could even be possible :O

Yeah why not simply make a game, which is 30 Gigs of data in total, but features the whole world? Sounds actually pretty fun... I know what everyone would do: find their house Cheesy

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1073 - Posted 2012-11-04 13:00:11 »

The planet file is here:
23 GB? wow...

Since you already need 11 Gigs for TF2 and (I think) 13 Gigs for BF3 and (about) 20 Gigs or so for the Flight simulator, this could even be possible :O

Yeah why not simply make a game, which is 30 Gigs of data in total, but features the whole world? Sounds actually pretty fun... I know what everyone would do: find their house Cheesy
The meshes would occupy a lot more data. I cannot perform the conversion on usual desktop machines, think about space partitioning too. I would have to ship the meshes or to download some of them in background. I will have a better view of the technical constraints when it works with a quarter or a small town in the suburbs of Paris. Anyway, it is not a bad idea.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1074 - Posted 2012-11-04 13:02:15 »

The planet file is here:
23 GB? wow...

The meshes would occupy a lot more data. I cannot perform the conversion on usual desktop machines, think about space partitioning too. I would have to ship the meshes or to download some of them in background. I will have a better view of the technical constraints when it works with a quarter or a small town in the suburbs of Paris. Anyway, it is not a bad idea.

At the moment I think about a 2D top-down zombie shooter. The Idea is about the "total apocalypse"... the whole world is infected and things like that... That'd be really cracy... I'll save this idea for later :O
Later = when I've got an artist, another programmer and propably money...

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1075 - Posted 2012-11-04 13:06:37 »

The planet file is here:
23 GB? wow...

At the moment I think about a 2D top-down zombie shooter. The Idea is about the "total apocalypse"... the whole world is infected and things like that... That'd be really cracy... I'll save this idea for later :O
You can start with existing models and with no other programmer, can't you? Maybe people would love to see zombies in the places in which they live  Grin

Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #1076 - Posted 2012-11-05 09:28:07 »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. There is a makefile inside the zip file. To use the game, follow these steps :
- unzip the tuer_..._.zip
- go into the directory where "aa.jar" is
- enter "java -jar aa.jar"

If you want to recompile the source, follow these steps :
- unzip the tuer_..._.zip
- go into the directory where "aa.jar" is
- enter "make"

You need the JRE 1.5 and JOGL beta 5. As it seems to be complicated for you to use my game, I give you the link to download the JOGL version I use currently :
https://jogl.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=5476&expandFolder=5476&folderID=6750

To install JOGL, follow these steps :
- download jogl.jar (use the link above)
- go into your JRE directory
- copy jogl.jar in your directory called "/jre/lib/ext" or something like "/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.07/jre/lib/ext/"
- download the jogl-natives.jar which matches with your operating system
- decompress the jar file
- copy libjogl.so, libjogl_awt.so, libjogl_cg.so and libjogl_drihack.so in the directory called "/jre/lib/i386/" or something like "/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.07/jre/lib/i386/" (WINDOWS users, you obtain .dll files instead of .so files)

Use only aa.jar to launch the game.

The other jar files stores data used in the game, images and masks.

To use the loader, copy each class in a file, compile and enter "java MD3Viewer".

Sorry if it was frustrating not to be able to try my game and thank you again for your reply.
I only got one jar file! (I downloaded it on the new link Grin)

Smiley
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #1077 - Posted 2012-11-06 17:12:14 »

The planet file is here:
23 GB? wow...

You can start with existing models and with no other programmer, can't you? Maybe people would love to see zombies in the places in which they live  Grin
Missed post...  Roll Eyes

The only problem is the time... I think... And yeah... I could start with existing sprites, I've already "coded" a zombie TDS in Game-Maker, which completly consisted of sprites from the internet, and my very very bad spriting skills... I should propably dig that project out and try to reuse all those sprites...
"It's been years, dear loving project..."
And I've even got all my tools (librarys...), since now I've also got those LWJGL Utilities...

I'll propably start with this project after Xmas. I've even got time, since my WorldOfCube project is somehow abandoned.
Yeah... time...
It's gold...

EDIT: MAN! back then I was so good at finding awesome sprites :O

See my:
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1078 - Posted 2012-11-06 19:55:31 »

Hi

I only got one jar file! (I downloaded it on the new link Grin)
The pre-beta version is here:
http://tuer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp

and it just works  Grin

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1
Exp: 3 years

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #1079 - Posted 2012-11-06 20:42:57 »

Looks more like pre alpha to me, im sorry but its not playable on my pc.
100fps, but the player is stuttering to move forward.
Also the mouse is not visible or working.
i can walk trough the glitched guy, the wall stops me correctly i think.
I cant use or see any weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (37 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (30 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (99 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (59 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (74 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (77 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (138 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (127 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (38 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org