Games in Android Showcase (133)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  
  TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL  (Read 215293 times)
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 356
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #930 - Posted 2011-09-14 04:21:14 »

Police marionettes of the government? The only "marionetting" I see from policemen is protecting my community and city Angry

Offline gouessej
« Reply #931 - Posted 2011-09-14 08:09:55 »

Police marionettes of the government? The only "marionetting" I see from policemen is protecting my community and city Angry
Brutalizing non violent demonstrators participating to legal demonstrations is not what I would call "protecting my community and city". As I said, Cero and me do not want to offend anyone and I'm aware that some people here disagree with me.

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 218
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #932 - Posted 2011-09-14 08:12:53 »

At the risk of derailing the thread I think it's pretty harsh to attack people that are doing a job, and while you might not agree with all of the action they're told to do - a large part of job is risking their lifes to protect you and your community.

It fine to have political views but they come across much better if you don't attack pawns in the system.

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #933 - Posted 2011-09-14 08:36:27 »

At the risk of derailing the thread I think it's pretty harsh to attack people that are doing a job, and while you might not agree with all of the action they're told to do - a large part of job is risking their lifes to protect you and your community.

It fine to have political views but they come across much better if you don't attack pawns in the system.

Kev
I have been physically attacked 4 times in my life and the policemen have never been there to protect me. Therefore, I think I can have a doubt about this protection. My big brother is one of the "pawns" of the system as a soldier. When the "pawns" only do what they are told to without wondering whether it is fair and ethical or because they completely agree with the orders they receive, they aren't anymore pawns, they are responsible. I don't say that all policemen aren't pawns but I don't the say the opposite. In the scenario of TUER, it is clear that policemen who refuse to surrender will be neutralized (without violence if possible, otherwise ...).

Offline zlandorf

Junior Devvie

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

« Reply #934 - Posted 2011-09-14 09:21:19 »

Imo, that's a bit like saying that politicians only seek the good for the people. It might be true for some politicians, but unfortunately, because of human nature, you will find politicians who won't have that type of thinking(who never heard a story of corruption ?). And, imo, it's the case in every job, police force included. But don't get me wrong, I am sure that not all policemen / politicians are evil, some of them do have a consciousness. 
Offline gouessej
« Reply #935 - Posted 2011-09-14 09:47:18 »

Imo, that's a bit like saying that politicians only seek the good for the people. It might be true for some politicians, but unfortunately, because of human nature, you will find politicians who won't have that type of thinking(who never heard a story of corruption ?). And, imo, it's the case in every job, police force included. But don't get me wrong, I am sure that not all policemen / politicians are evil, some of them do have a consciousness. 
Even the frontier between good and evil is political, I don't deny that corruption is a problem but it is sometimes a part of some political views (not mine).

Maybe we should not derail too much this thread  Wink

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #936 - Posted 2011-09-14 11:06:16 »

Even the frontier between good and evil is political, I don't deny that corruption is a problem but it is sometimes a part of some political views (not mine).

Maybe we should not derail too much this thread  Wink

No system of government is perfect. Corruption is inevitable, the only thing that the people (might) have to protected themselves is a united "faith" in a constitution, as a piece of paper has no power in itself.

I know im adding to the off railing of this thread, but I just dont get the point of any extremest views, as the "right" way.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline Cero
« Reply #937 - Posted 2011-09-14 11:48:40 »

oh god, I knew it would end like this Grin
insert heated political debate here =D

so how is TUER progress coming anyway ? is there anything real playable yet ?

Offline gouessej
« Reply #938 - Posted 2011-09-14 14:50:37 »

oh god, I knew it would end like this Grin
insert heated political debate here =D

so how is TUER progress coming anyway ? is there anything real playable yet ?
The alpha version has been playable for years, I have between 100 and 200 weekly users on the Chrome Webstore.

The version using Ardor3D can be tested but it is not yet a real game.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #939 - Posted 2011-09-16 17:49:33 »

Hi

The source code is on Sourceforge.net. I will give you more information about that in a few days on my personal blog.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #940 - Posted 2011-09-18 12:58:29 »

Hi

The JOGL renderer of Ardor3D based on JOGL 2 is ready:
http://gouessej.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/le-moteur-3d-ardor3d-fonctionne-desormais-avec-jogl-2-the-3d-engine-ardor3d-now-works-with-jogl-2/

Offline charlieg

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #941 - Posted 2011-09-18 23:31:10 »

Great work gouessej.  Does the Ardor3D team know of your work?
Offline gouessej
« Reply #942 - Posted 2011-09-19 08:49:45 »

Hi!

Great work gouessej.  Does the Ardor3D team know of your work?
Yes, they do.

I'm going to add several screen captures and more explanations to allow people to give it a try easily.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #943 - Posted 2011-09-20 10:47:26 »

Hi!

TUER does not work anymore, there is something wrong with the old JOGL 1.1.1a version I was using, Oracle's JARs are not signed. I will have to deploy JOGL 1.1.1a by myself until I switch to JOGL 2.0.

I get this when I try to install it:
#### Java Web Start Error:
#### Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1.1.1/webstart/jogl.jar

Offline gouessej
« Reply #944 - Posted 2011-09-20 19:48:50 »

I have fixed the problem on the pre-beta version, I'm going to do the same on other versions (alpha and abandoned pre-beta).

I don't understand why the installation requires less time now. Maybe Pack2000 was not working fine on Oracle servers.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #945 - Posted 2011-10-14 10:25:15 »

Hi!

As Sven implemented some features really useful and required to fully implement the JOGL NEWT Ardor3D canvas, I'm ready to do it. Mac OS X NEWT support is better now. When the fourth release candidate of JOGL 2.0 is out, I will probably be able to switch to JOGL 2 (+ NEWT) and JOAL 1.1.3.

I try to improve all ANT scripts (reduce code redundancy, increase the robustness) and the documentation to ease the use of the source code for educational purposes. However, BlueJ seems to be a very limited IDE, I don't see how I could support it.

Finally, when I find much time, I will try to implement the missing steps of my latest optimization. Best regards.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #946 - Posted 2011-10-14 11:15:02 »

Just out of interest, when was the last time you actually added anything to the gameplay of Tuer? Or do you consider the gameplay complete?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline gouessej
« Reply #947 - Posted 2011-10-14 11:38:55 »

Hi

Just out of interest, when was the last time you actually added anything to the gameplay of Tuer? Or do you consider the gameplay complete?
The alpha version has not changed since the middle of 2008. I added the possibility of taking 2 weapons at the same time, the teleporter and the first outdoor section to the "pre-beta" version at the end of 2010. I tried to add the ability of reloading weapons but something was not working, I had to revert the source code of this feature.

Unfortunately, I did some bad things in my personal life, it has affected me since May 2010, I have had less spare time for TUER. I really do my best to solve these problems. When I totally remove any trace of my "mistakes" from Google, I will feel better.

I really underestimated the time required to port TUER to Ardor3D and I'm forced to switch to NEWT & JOGL 2 as JOGL 1.1.1a is no more maintained, the AWT GLCanvas suffers of AWT bugs (full screen mode not working on KDE 4, etc...) and NEWT is now the only option to work around them. I have to switch to JOAL too to work around JavaSound limitations and bugs. Then, there are a lot of things to change "under the hood", these are not visible changes, it does not improve the gameplay but if I don't do anything about these aspects, a lot of GNU/Linux users will go on having a broken full screen mode, some GNU/Linux users will have problems with sound samples and I will not be ready for Windows 8 (JOGL 1.1.1a is no more maintained and it won't get any backport of fixes for Windows 8 if any). The gameplay of the alpha version won't evolve whereas the gameplay of the pre-beta version will evolve a lot (real levels, real 3D enemies with AI, etc...).

Thank you for your pertinent question and I'm sad to say that I cannot improve the gameplay now Sad The pre-beta version is still slower than the alpha version Sad

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #948 - Posted 2011-10-14 14:04:14 »

Have you considered changing strategy? It seems like the weight and legacy of your existing code base is really dragging you down. You don't really have much actual gameplay functionality, and it seems like you could reimplement the current game from scratch in under a month if you started from a clean base and used existing libraries.

I just find it a bit depressing that the biggest thread in the gaming showcase is actually a game that manages to go steadily backwards. It would be nice to reverse that trend.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline gouessej
« Reply #949 - Posted 2011-10-14 15:09:22 »

Have you considered changing strategy? It seems like the weight and legacy of your existing code base is really dragging you down. You don't really have much actual gameplay functionality, and it seems like you could reimplement the current game from scratch in under a month if you started from a clean base and used existing libraries.
Actually, the pre-beta version does not share any source code with the alpha version except the Ant script used for the build and this pre-beta version already uses existing "libraries" (Ardor3D, JOAL, JOGL, Paul Lamb Sound Library) instead of only using pure Java without third party APIs (which was the case of Art Attack, the ancestor of TUER).

I just find it a bit depressing that the biggest thread in the gaming showcase is actually a game that manages to go steadily backwards. It would be nice to reverse that trend.
I have to admit that the pre-beta version has still less features than the alpha version but some features were badly implemented in the alpha version whereas I implemented them in a more robust way in the pre-beta version, for example the ability of collecting medikits and ammunitions. In the alpha version, it was really buggy, you could take the same medikit several times when coming close to it once  Huh In the alpha version, there were some cases of crashes because of bad synchronization and concurrent access on some lists whereas I haven't done the same mistakes in the pre-beta version. In the alpha version, you only have a single weapon (the rocket launcher) whereas there are about 10 different weapons in the pre-beta version. I don't say that my game goes steadily backwards but I admit that the pre-beta version is not isofunctional in comparison with the alpha version.

French people know what I mean: when some nasty people leave me alone, I will "waste" less time in defending myself and I will then have much spare time to spend on my project. Some tasks really require a deep attention and some concentration, I cannot write anything if I feel worried by something else, it is particularily true when I write some "new" algorithms.

I hope I will reverse that trend before the end of 2011 when TUER works with JOGL 2.0, NEWT and JOAL 1.1.3 Smiley

I have to replace the current enemy because I had lately realized that he is black and I don't want to be considered racist, it would be better to put a white policeman.

Thank you for your attention. Some people here already helped me when a French guy became agressive in another section of this forum. Some other people (Riven, bienator, etc...) gave me nice tips some years ago. It's nice to know that I can ask for help sometimes.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 847
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #950 - Posted 2011-10-14 17:43:59 »

I will "waste" less time in defending myself
IMHO people tend not to listen to your carefully crafted defense and argumentation. I kinda don't bother anymore. We all make mistakes, we all have to live with them and it's nearly impossible to change the perception of what happened. Unless people are stalking you IRL, just ignore it all and move on.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #951 - Posted 2011-10-18 03:58:50 »

LOL That IS him!! Look at him getting all the girls! Tongue

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #952 - Posted 2011-10-23 00:12:20 »

Way to keep discussion professional guys. Personally, I would find it more comfy, if we could leave such things out.

Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 366
Projects: 2
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #953 - Posted 2011-10-23 20:24:20 »

Yeah, I mean, girls. They're so completely unrelated to game programming that anyone would feel uncomfortable.

Myomyomyo.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #954 - Posted 2011-10-23 20:54:21 »

Whoa whoa whoa, girls are VERY important to game programming! Without them, what's the point?

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 437
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #955 - Posted 2011-10-23 21:19:25 »

My fiancé asks me to talk to her about games programming at night to help her sleep.

Cas Smiley

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #956 - Posted 2011-10-23 22:20:50 »

My fiancé asks me to talk to her about games programming at night to help her sleep.

Cas Smiley
LOL! Wink

Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 366
Projects: 2
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #957 - Posted 2011-10-23 23:39:56 »

Easy now. Just trolling Mads a bit...

Myomyomyo.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #958 - Posted 2011-10-24 09:10:49 »

Hi

JoglNewtWindow works fine, it allows to work around the known bug of full screen support on Linux with the window manager KDE 4. I'm going to use JOGL 2.0 RC4 and JOAL 1.1.3 in the pre-beta version of TUER. As I said, the use of JOAL will improve the sound support especially under Linux when using OpenJDK.

Then, I will have to go on working on the implementation of a feature improving the performances. After that, I will have to start rewritting JFPSM and I would like to fix some limitations to repair some nice features (allowing to reload weapons and to shoot).

Offline gouessej
« Reply #959 - Posted 2011-10-27 10:26:36 »

Hi

TUER works perfectly with JOGL 2.0 and AWT but there are a few problems when using JOGL 2.0 and NEWT:
- no proper mouse scroll events (mouse pressed events instead)
- GLWindow.warpPointer(int x, int y) does not work
It's nice to see the full screen mode working anew on KDE  Grin

I don't need to set the library path anymore, it will ease the installation of the project and it will allow me to remove all conditions and tricky things used to set it to a proper value depending on the OS and the architecture in the Ant script.

I will update the pre-beta version of TUER when the both bugs are fixed.

N.B: I don't plan to port the alpha version to JOGL 2.0.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-23 03:34:11

rwatson462 (52 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (45 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (82 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (110 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (78 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (89 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (93 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (155 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (150 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org