Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (537)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  
  TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL  (Read 203793 times)
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #840 - Posted 2010-12-04 23:37:33 »

Hey There. I just tried again after a reboot. It worked well  Cheesy The game looks really nice now! No shooting though...

Offline gouessej
« Reply #841 - Posted 2010-12-05 00:48:18 »

Hey There. I just tried again after a reboot. It worked well  Cheesy The game looks really nice now! No shooting though...
Now I know which OS you use  Grin

Thank you for testing once more. I plan to implement shooting in some weeks in 2 steps:
- a first rudimentary implementation. You shoot an enemy, he falls on the floor.
- a more ambitious implementation like the one of Turok 2: http://www.ardor3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=965

I'm currently preparing the new installer of JFPSM based on IzPack.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 757
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #842 - Posted 2010-12-05 01:35:52 »

I'm currently preparing the new installer of JFPSM based on IzPack.

Why?! For the sake of cute fluffy bunnies, work on the gameplay.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #843 - Posted 2010-12-05 12:22:44 »

Hi!

I frequently add some new models into TUER, the whole game may become too big to be deployed with Java Web Start and its shortcut feature has never worked as far as I know.

I only have a problem with the automatic updates and IzPack, I don't know if <updatecheck> has the same effect than the automatic update system of Java Web Start. Anyway I won't completely switch to IzPack until some problems are solved and I don't want to spend too much time on it.

Edit.: I have abandoned IzPack. I will create my own desktop shortcut, it is already working on Linux, look at this class:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/DesktopIntegration.java?revision=286&view=markup

Offline gouessej
« Reply #844 - Posted 2010-12-07 00:11:40 »

If some people could test this class especially on Mac and Windows, it would be very helpful. Thanks:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/DesktopIntegration.java?view=markup

I'm implementing the ammunition system to allow the player to pick up some ammo, reload, shoot, etc...

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #845 - Posted 2010-12-07 12:44:30 »

If some people could test this class especially on Mac and Windows, it would be very helpful. Thanks:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/DesktopIntegration.java?view=markup
desktopShortcutFile.setExecutable(true,true);

doesnt work using Java 1.5, but is included in 1.6

07/12/2010 10:43:17 PM DesktopIntegration <init>
INFO: operating system: windows 7
07/12/2010 10:43:18 PM DesktopIntegration <init>
INFO: operating system family: Windows
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "WScript.Echo(WScript.SpecialFolders("Desktop"));": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
   at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
   at DesktopIntegration.<init>(DesktopIntegration.java:209)
   at DesktopIntegration.<clinit>(DesktopIntegration.java:31)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
   at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
   ... 6 more
INFO: registry value used as a desktop path: C:\Users\bobjob\Desktop
INFO: operating system supported. Desktop path: C:\Users\bobjob\Desktop
07/12/2010 10:43:18 PM DesktopIntegration createDesktopShortcut
INFO: the desktop shortcut fileC:\Users\bobjob\Desktop\TUER.bat has been successfully created
07/12/2010 10:43:18 PM DesktopIntegration createDesktopShortcut
INFO: the desktop shortcut file C:\Users\bobjob\Desktop\TUER.bat has been successfully filled

I can test on a Mac tomorrow morning.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline gouessej
« Reply #846 - Posted 2010-12-07 14:01:49 »

Hi!

desktopShortcutFile.setExecutable(true,true);

doesnt work using Java 1.5, but is included in 1.6.
It didn't know that. Actually, TUER does not support Java 1.5 anymore since 2008.

Wow  Grin my implementation is quite robust on Windows. As you can see, the first method based on WSH fails but the (deprecated) registry method works.

I can test on a Mac tomorrow morning.
Thank you so much for your precious help.

Edit.: bobjob, I have found my mistake thanks to your log. I should have stored the WSH script into a separate file and call it with wscript:
wscript //NoLogo //B getWindowsDesktopFolderPath.wsf

Offline heX-

« Reply #847 - Posted 2010-12-07 17:59:27 »

mouse sensitivity = too low for FPS game. anything other == good.  Smiley

Goal : Learn Java
my blog >> http://hex.ws.mk/
Offline heX-

« Reply #848 - Posted 2010-12-07 18:03:45 »

mouse sensitivity = too low for FPS game. anything other == good.  :_

Offline gouessej
« Reply #849 - Posted 2010-12-07 19:04:29 »

mouse sensitivity = too low for FPS game. anything other == good.  :_
Thanks for testing. I agree with you but as it is a matter of taste, I will have to allow people to change it in the options.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline heX-

« Reply #850 - Posted 2010-12-07 20:18:20 »

and 1 more thing. make the crusor go up and down.
P.S create a jump function Tongue

Offline gouessej
« Reply #851 - Posted 2010-12-07 20:23:48 »

and 1 more thing. make the crusor go up and down.
P.S create a jump function Tongue
You have just tested the alpha version that is no more developed since 2 years... I currently work on the pre-beta version.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #852 - Posted 2010-12-08 15:07:41 »

Isn't that normally called the "alpha version"? Wink

Play Minecraft!
Offline gouessej
« Reply #853 - Posted 2010-12-08 16:06:18 »

Hi!

Isn't that normally called the "alpha version"? Wink
What do you mean exactly? As English is not my mother tongue, understanding some jokes is sometimes difficult not only because of the language barrier but because of cultural and political differences.

Actually, what is called the "pre-beta version" is so minimalist that it could be called the "alpha version". I underestimated the difficulty of porting my game from my own engine to engines like JMonkeyEngine 2 and Ardor3D, that is why the term "pre-beta" does not really fit well in this situation, I chose this term when I didn't know what amount of work the portage would require  Sad

However, some professionnal studios have a strange interpretation of this terminology. I tested a nice FPS at Paris in France, it was marked as "alpha" whereas it was already really complete on my view.

On the other hand, it is my birthday today  Grin I'm 26. If I have some time tonight, I will try to add some ammo.

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #854 - Posted 2010-12-08 17:28:36 »

Happy birthday and congrats! You've still got your hilarious sense of humour, I love your political differences lol. Have a top bday  Cool

Offline gouessej
« Reply #855 - Posted 2010-12-09 00:05:40 »

Happy birthday and congrats! You've still got your hilarious sense of humour, I love your political differences lol. Have a top bday  Cool
Lol thank you very much  Grin

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #856 - Posted 2010-12-09 08:29:18 »

Mac OSX test:
Dec 9, 2010 6:26:29 PM DesktopIntegration <init>
INFO: operating system: mac os x
INFO: operating system family: Mac
INFO: use modern desktop folder: /Users/bobjob/Desktop
INFO: operating system supported. Desktop path: /Users/bobjob/Desktop
Dec 9, 2010 6:26:29 PM DesktopIntegration createDesktopShortcut
INFO: desktop shortcuts are supported by this operating system
INFO: the desktop shortcut file /Users/bobjob/Desktop/TUER.sh has been successfully created
INFO: the desktop shortcut file /Users/bobjob/Desktop/TUER.sh has been successfully filled
It created a .sh file on the desktop. It didnt seem to do anything else.

Also, Happy Birthday gouessej.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #857 - Posted 2010-12-09 10:56:09 »

Hi!

Mac OSX test:It created a .sh file on the desktop. It didnt seem to do anything else.
That is the expected behavior as it would have been very difficult to create a real Alias (enhanced and robust desktop shortcut using Finder on Mac).

Also, Happy Birthday gouessej.
Thank you very much.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #858 - Posted 2010-12-14 20:21:35 »

Hi!

I'm trying to finish the implementation of ammunitions.

On the other hand, can you vote for this bug please? It breaks JavaSound on Linux when someone has a webcam with an embedded microphone, I don't know whether it is reproducible on other operating system.
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7006285

Offline gouessej
« Reply #859 - Posted 2010-12-24 00:21:23 »

Hi!

I have updated the very experimental version:
http://tuer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp

Now, it is possible to reload weapons but I have disabled the shoot as it was not working reliably. I have fixed some tiny annoying bugs, the progress bar displayed during the loading of the level is now at the bottom like the other one, it is updated correctly so that the user does not believe that TUER has crashed, I display a nice background image and the name of the level while loading. I'm going to use Fettle, a nice API for state machines. Maybe I will add a menu item to uninstall the game, it is not very difficult.

Switching to Fettle is quite a bit difficult. When it is done, I will be able to implement the shoot correctly.

When I have some time, I will replace the agent by a more beautiful soldier, I only have to modify a very little bit the geometry with Blender and the texture with The Gimp.

I'm happy because Ardor3D works fine, Paul Lamb's Sound Library too, Fettle is better than my own state machine and my source code is clean. The whole just does what it has to do, I don't have the feeling to use dark kludges or obscure things.

Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

Medals: 18

« Reply #860 - Posted 2010-12-24 01:51:30 »

Your desktop shortcut doesn't work on Windows if there are spaces in the path to javaws.exe.  You should either wrap the path in double quotes or use the short form of directory names.

C:\Users\homer\Desktop>TUER.bat

C:\Users\homer\Desktop>C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe http://t
uer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #861 - Posted 2010-12-24 10:16:43 »

Hi!

Your desktop shortcut doesn't work on Windows if there are spaces in the path to javaws.exe.  You should either wrap the path in double quotes or use the short form of directory names.

C:\Users\homer\Desktop>TUER.bat

C:\Users\homer\Desktop>C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe http://t
uer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Thank you for testing and for the feedback. I'm going to fix it tonight. I will wrap the path in double quotes as the short form might not work on some machines. I don't have access to any machine on Windows except sometimes at work, it does not help. Sorry.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #862 - Posted 2010-12-24 10:37:54 »

Your desktop shortcut doesn't work on Windows if there are spaces in the path to javaws.exe.
I have just fixed it, it is on the SVN repository:
http://tuer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuer/pre_beta/engine/integration/DesktopIntegration.java?r1=332&r2=331&pathrev=332

I will update my game tonight.

Edit.: I have just updated the game.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #863 - Posted 2010-12-26 19:14:26 »

Hi!

I have hugely driven the whole configuration of the environment easier for people who would like to use any version of TUER (for development purposes) including the both abandoned versions (the one using my own engine and the other one using JMonkeyEngine 2). The new homogeneous procedure is there. As usual, as English is not my mother tongue, let me know if I made some spelling mistakes. I have not checked how it works with Netbeans. Best regards.

Edit.: I have updated the procedure for Netbeans. This IDE generates a lot of files, I have been unable to make a better installation procedure, sorry.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #864 - Posted 2011-01-04 00:10:24 »

Hi!

I'm going to use Pack200 as soon as possible. I hope it will reduce a little bit the installation time. I will use Matthias Mann's Ant task to automatize this in my script. Best regards.

Offline Nmb910

Senior Newbie

« Reply #865 - Posted 2011-01-04 05:24:46 »

I ran the latest TUER jnlp, and it got to the loading screen then quit out. 

Any idea why?
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #866 - Posted 2011-01-04 07:32:37 »

Hi!

I'm going to use Pack200 as soon as possible. I hope it will reduce a little bit the installation time. I will use Matthias Mann's Ant task to automatize this in my script. Best regards.
you may want to look at the LWJGL appletloader, it combines pack200 and LZMA to create extremely small packages.

it installs to a temp folder and keeps track of file versions.

running my applet with only jar compression it ends up being:
3.82meg.

Pack200 only:
4.36meg

LZMA only:
3.67meg

pack200 + LZMA it ends up being:
2.46meg

its worth going over the appletloader source code. as it does alot of other neat little things. Like loads all the packaged classes in a seperate classloader so static usage isnt a problem inside a single virtual machine instance (java 1.5). as well as a native hack so you can use native files for multiple applets in the same vm instance (again java 1.5).

Not that you need applet support but with a little bit of tweeking it would make a great update checker for an application, as well as potentially allowing applet support. I modified a version to work great with webstart so that it works as an customizable splash screen, when checking updates or installing.

for JOGL support you would probably only need to change the property for native file location to be appropriate for JOGL.

edit: I tried to download a version of TUER to see how small i could compress it, but I couldnt find any bundle version of the source. it seemed like it would take ages to download each file.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #867 - Posted 2011-01-04 08:07:43 »

Hi!

I ran the latest TUER jnlp, and it got to the loading screen then quit out. 

Any idea why?
Thanks for testing. Another user had the same problem and it crashed only one time, it worked after a reboot, I don't know why. Please clean your Java Web Start cache, display the Java console and activate the logs to see what is wrong if it happens again. If you're on Windows with a GDI generic driver, it won't work.

you may want to look at the LWJGL appletloader, it combines pack200 and LZMA to create extremely small packages.
Matthias Mann's Ant task has an option to use LZMA. Actually, as I have a lot of things to do, I plan to use Pack200 with GZIP compression only as a first step. Thank you for the tip.

edit: I tried to download a version of TUER to see how small i could compress it, but I couldnt find any bundle version of the source. it seemed like it would take ages to download each file.
It should take only several minutes with Subversion to get the whole project.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #868 - Posted 2011-01-04 15:08:42 »

Hey, gouessej, why not porting your game to LWJGL applet? You would eliminate your biggest installation issues I guess and you would enable ad revenue via your web page.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #869 - Posted 2011-01-04 15:44:47 »

Hey, gouessej, why not porting your game to LWJGL applet? You would eliminate your biggest installation issues I guess and you would enable ad revenue via your web page.
Thank you for your suggestion.

At first, since I began using Java, I have had more problems with applets than with Java Web Start and I don't want to depend on browser bugs (whereas I have been able to work around existing bugs of Java Web Start). The ancestor of TUER is still an applet and I made this switch in 2006 for good reasons.

Secondly, I'm not interested in creating a FPS playable inside a browser, it is only a matter of taste. I prefer full screen games running outside the browser, heavy applications, heavy clients, I'm not interested in developing sandboxed applications.

Thirdly, I remind you that Chrome badly supports applets using Java Deployment Toolkit whereas my own fix for Chromium/Chrome allows Java Web Start to work fine.

Fourthly, I don't want my game to become a billboard for advertising, it is completely against my political positions. If a few people want to give some money, that is fine but this is not important. I understand that some developers make games to earn money but I already have a job and I don't see my own project as a product. I quickly get discouraged when money comes to my projects... The pre-beta version of TUER will contain more and more political messages in a near future, it would be nonsensical to mix them with ads, I would not be credible.

Finally, lots of people here already know my opinion concerning LWJGL. The pre-beta version of TUER "can" work with LWJGL, I have done nothing in the source code neither to prevent it nor to drive it more complicated but I will never use it in my own projects. JOGL will always be the default Java binding for OpenGL of my game.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (16 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (15 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (18 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (42 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org