Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  
  TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JOGL  (Read 203480 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #810 - Posted 2010-08-31 01:06:08 »

Why not write a Wavefront obj importer that can import a list of files, and convert them into keyframes?
as blender has no problems exporting Wavefront as animation.

edit: or rather, simple modify the current OBJ importer to support an array of files.
Those files get horrendously huge if you have any amount of vertices. I tried that once and my app size was massive.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #811 - Posted 2010-08-31 09:09:10 »

Those files get horrendously huge if you have any amount of vertices. I tried that once and my app size was massive.
In that case, maybe make a universal array of files to -> keyframes (regardless of filetype). that way if you can only get a single frame at a time from any exporter, you can at least import all of them into ardor3D via an array.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline gouessej
« Reply #812 - Posted 2010-08-31 11:11:09 »

Maybe I can convert .blend files to MD2, can't I do it with Blender?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #813 - Posted 2010-08-31 12:12:21 »

yeah, as long as you have set up keyframes in blender.
then you should be able to export to .md2

My Projects

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #814 - Posted 2010-08-31 17:04:45 »

yeah, as long as you have set up keyframes in blender.
then you should be able to export to .md2

Actually I don't think you  need to set keyframes (though you obviously will set some if you want to see something moving) .

Each frame (not keyframe) in Blender Animation View corresponds to a keyframe in the MD2 format . That's what I observed from the models I imported. And they work pretty fine, actually. I gave up looking for some other format since MD2 can do what I need .

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #815 - Posted 2010-09-02 22:26:39 »

I was debating on writing a tool that would load a bunch of OBJ files, compare vertices, and then spit out changed vertices each frame. It would theoretically take up less memory, but after thinking about it more I realized that it would be a pretty minor difference - most animations will move almost every vertex in the model. That being said, not storing normals and textures more than once will still reduce it to 1/3 size at the very least.

But overall it's probably best to just implement a format that allows animation.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 746
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #816 - Posted 2010-09-02 22:30:53 »

That being said, not storing normals and textures more than once will still reduce it to 1/3 size at the very least.

I agree on texcoords, but normals?!

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline gouessej
« Reply #817 - Posted 2010-09-02 22:46:34 »

The export from Blender format to MD2 does not work, it says "Selected Object must be a mesh to output as MD2"  Sad

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #818 - Posted 2010-09-02 23:19:03 »

In Blender: I just applied a texture to the default cube, and then unwrapped it. I didnt have any problems exporting it to ".md2"

you may need to make sure that you only selected the model you want to export, not the whole scene.

On the topic of writing your own model type, for my current engine I actual convert a list of objs to a openGL friendly format, saves alot of space and loading time.
basic process:
- create groups per material
- remove any duplicate verticies
- save only a single list of indicies for all key frames
- have an option to calculate or store normals (smooth-solid-store)
- store as dataOutput rather than text
- also helps to group materials with alpha channels (aswell as 32bit textures) so they can be rendered last.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #819 - Posted 2010-09-02 23:38:18 »

In Blender: I just applied a texture to the default cube, and then unwrapped it. I didnt have any problems exporting it to ".md2"

you may need to make sure that you only selected the model you want to export, not the whole scene.
I go to the menu "Select" -> "Select all by type" -> "Mesh" but I still have the same problem.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #820 - Posted 2010-09-02 23:45:55 »

if your still having trouble email me the .blend file ill see if i can export it.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #821 - Posted 2010-09-03 13:44:10 »

if your still having trouble email me the .blend file ill see if i can export it.
Thanks. It is here:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/blendfiles/Chakta_anim.blend

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #822 - Posted 2010-09-03 14:02:12 »

Nice model. Really good work on the rigging.

The problem is it doesnt fully use textures, also the texture that is used does not map to UV co-ordinates.

can you send me "oak_golden.jpg" that is ment to be used, ill try rush a basic texture map to use.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #823 - Posted 2010-09-03 15:28:41 »

Nice model. Really good work on the rigging.

The problem is it doesnt fully use textures, also the texture that is used does not map to UV co-ordinates.

can you send me "oak_golden.jpg" that is ment to be used, ill try rush a basic texture map to use.
Unpack this file by doing "File" -> "External Data" -> "Unpack Files...". Actually, this texture is packed inside the .blend file.

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #824 - Posted 2010-09-05 04:06:48 »

I unwrapped all of the mesh, and put on a quick texture, Its very rushed.

I exported to md2, yet the values were all screwed up on re-import.

I think this models isnt made well for gaming, even after triangulating it seems that some surfaces still magically take on non-triangle shapes. I dont have a clue why this is, as I have only worked with low poly triangle meshes.

*see attached files

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #825 - Posted 2010-09-05 11:54:33 »

I unwrapped all of the mesh, and put on a quick texture, Its very rushed.

I exported to md2, yet the values were all screwed up on re-import.

I think this models isnt made well for gaming, even after triangulating it seems that some surfaces still magically take on non-triangle shapes. I dont have a clue why this is, as I have only worked with low poly triangle meshes.

*see attached files
Ok I will try to use other models. Thank you for the help.

Offline Arvutis6ber

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #826 - Posted 2010-09-12 23:19:26 »

Add some textures: for example, if I shoot the wall I see every time the same picture on the wall, but you can take GIMP, open this same image and rotate it and give it a bit different look (maybe also make some copies a bit darker or brighter than original). Then I think this game looks much better, if explosions and damaged spots looks sometimes a bit different.

I liked the fast moving speed, but difficulty was hard.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #827 - Posted 2010-09-13 00:35:16 »

Hi!

Add some textures: for example, if I shoot the wall I see every time the same picture on the wall, but you can take GIMP, open this same image and rotate it and give it a bit different look (maybe also make some copies a bit darker or brighter than original). Then I think this game looks much better, if explosions and damaged spots looks sometimes a bit different.
Thanks for testing. It is an excellent suggestion, I will include such mechanisms in the pre-beta version, I had not thought about that, you tested the alpha version whose development has been stopped 2 years ago.

I liked the fast moving speed, but difficulty was hard.
In French, we say something like this:
"Winning without penalty means triumphing without glory".
I like hard FPS  Grin Ok, the policemen will be less aggressive in the next version  Cheesy

Offline gouessej
« Reply #828 - Posted 2010-10-05 14:20:43 »

Hi!

I'm going to ease the installation of the development environment for TUER by using a PSF file and providing an all-in-one solution (nothing to tinker, no external libraries to add, no path to change). The PSF file contains references to Ardor3D sub-projects (including JOGL 1.1.2) and TUER itself. The Ant script now handles both JAR dependencies and dependencies to native libraries, there is no need to modify the build path in Eclipse. Netbeans users will have to get TUER and Ardor3D without using the PSF file.

Unfortunately, as I use JavaScript in Ant, OpenJDK is temporarily no more supported (Ant will complain if you try to use it). Maybe using a custom Ant task written in Java would be better.

Some students would like to use TUER, that is why I prefer doing some efforts.

Edit.: I have to support OpenJDK so I will use a custom Ant task written in plain Java rather than using JavaScript (Mozilla Rhino JavaScript engine is not bundled with OpenJDK).
Edit2.: Using conditions and the "if" attribute of the "target" element seems to solve the problem without depending on ant.jar, Ant-contrib & JavaScript. It seems to be the most reliable and less impacting solution.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #829 - Posted 2010-11-23 12:38:49 »

Hi!

I explain the progress of my project there (in French and in English):
http://gouessej.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/tuer-4-ans-deja/

Offline gouessej
« Reply #830 - Posted 2010-11-24 23:42:10 »

Hi!

This is the first outdoor scene of TUER (big thank to Oto The Cleaner):

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #831 - Posted 2010-11-25 03:34:12 »

Hi!

This is the first outdoor scene of TUER (big thank to Oto The Cleaner):

That looks great, very different feel than TUER used to have. Im sure I dont need to tell you, but a simple skybox would make the outdoor scene look really cool.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #832 - Posted 2010-11-25 10:19:10 »

Hi!

That looks great, very different feel than TUER used to have. Im sure I dont need to tell you, but a simple skybox would make the outdoor scene look really cool.
I don't know why the skybox disappeared after the export.

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #833 - Posted 2010-11-25 12:55:58 »

Hi!
I don't know why the skybox disappeared after the export.
Its probably not a good idea to export the skybox with the terrain, as you will need to make a large scale range on the depth buffer.

its best to just render the skybox first without writing to the depth buffer, then set the view translation and render the scene seperately.

My Projects

Offline gouessej
« Reply #834 - Posted 2010-11-27 14:02:19 »

Its probably not a good idea to export the skybox with the terrain, as you will need to make a large scale range on the depth buffer.

its best to just render the skybox first without writing to the depth buffer, then set the view translation and render the scene seperately.
Thanks for the advice. Ardor3D has a Skybox class  Grin
http://ardorlabs.trac.cvsdude.com/Ardor3Dv1/browser/trunk/ardor3d-core/src/main/java/com/ardor3d/scenegraph/extension/Skybox.java

This is better now:
http://tuer.sourceforge.net/screenshots/wildhouse_oto_the_cleaner_in_Ardor3D_with_skybox.png

Edit.: the fullscreen mode has been repaired in KDE 4.6 but I still use an older version of KDE.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #835 - Posted 2010-11-29 21:33:57 »

Thanks for the advice. Ardor3D has a Skybox class  Grin
http://ardorlabs.trac.cvsdude.com/Ardor3Dv1/browser/trunk/ardor3d-core/src/main/java/com/ardor3d/scenegraph/extension/Skybox.java

This is better now:

Edit.: the fullscreen mode has been repaired in KDE 4.6 but I still use an older version of KDE.
Can you link a smaller version of that image? It's 2.5mb and even slowed down my browser with my 30mbit connection.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline gouessej
« Reply #836 - Posted 2010-11-30 16:25:17 »

Hi!

Can you link a smaller version of that image? It's 2.5mb and even slowed down my browser with my 30mbit connection.
I have a crappy computer with a bad internet connection and this image has never slowed it.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #837 - Posted 2010-12-04 14:43:34 »

Hi!

I have updated the very experimental version, I have added 2 teleporters to allow you to go outside:
http://tuer.sourceforge.net/very_experimental/tuer.jnlp

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #838 - Posted 2010-12-04 19:14:59 »

I cant get it to work now.. It loads, shows the splash image, and the disclaimers for violence etc, but then it closes and is never again seen.  Lips Sealed
I had it run ealier.. A couple of months back actually.. Then, it looked like this:

Offline gouessej
« Reply #839 - Posted 2010-12-04 20:49:42 »

Hi!

I cant get it to work now.. It loads, shows the splash image, and the disclaimers for violence etc, but then it closes and is never again seen.  Lips Sealed
Thanks for testing. I don't reproduce your bug. Can you enable the Java console, the logs and the traces? Maybe the sound system crashes. What is your configuration?

I had it run ealier.. A couple of months back actually.. Then, it looked like this:
This version is the alpha version whereas the other is the pre-beta version, they use 2 different engines, they are very different. Thank you very much for reporting.

Clear the cache of Java Web Start before retrying.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (7 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (20 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org