ignore  |  Print  
  Who's got Vista yet?  (Read 6788 times)
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 49
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Posted 2007-02-23 16:01:52 »

Anyone got WIndows Vista yet? And anyone used Java6 on it, tried to make a game, OpenGL?

It's funny, I haven't seen a single computer with Vista installed. And I'm not thinking about upgrading for at least a year.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2007-02-23 16:23:14 »

I got an free upgrade on my laptop and have access to (to me) costless version from msda, though niether sources I've been able to obtain 64 bit version. On my other pc's I don't plan on moving to vista anytime soon. at the office the plan is to wait till we are gonna replace the pc's

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #2 - Posted 2007-02-23 18:14:18 »

I bought an OEM version of Vista Ultimate (£200 less than retail! though technically not legal...),
however as my mobo. is screwed and needs replacing, the machine refuses to even recognise the MBR of the HD on which Vista is installed.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2007-02-24 01:42:07 »

We have a couple machines at the office installed with Vista for testing  (stuff in general does NOT work).
The Mac ad is right on,it really is that irritating: http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-security_480x376.mov

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2007-02-24 13:54:32 »

We have a couple machines at the office installed with Vista for testing  (stuff in general does NOT work).
The Mac ad is right on,it really is that irritating: http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-security_480x376.mov

Smiley

I also saw a flowchart comparing Windows Vista with Linux, showing the system calls the OS had to do to be able to display a simple web page. Needless to say Linux's diagram was much simpler and cleaner, while Vista's was huge, complex and bloated. No wonder they're having so much security trouble.

Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2007-02-27 16:39:23 »

I'm not thinking of upgrading ever. However i may have to install it on another computer just to test compatibility issues. Installing this on your working platform is to commit suicide.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #6 - Posted 2007-02-27 17:55:55 »

I also saw a flowchart comparing Windows Vista with Linux, showing the system calls the OS had to do to be able to display a simple web page. Needless to say Linux's diagram was much simpler and cleaner, while Vista's was huge, complex and bloated. No wonder they're having so much security trouble.

Maybe that's why, among other things, Vista needs 512 megs of RAM!  Wink

Seriously, what the hell Vista is doing with that big amount of RAM? I've tried to find an answer to that question on various websites without success.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 15
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #7 - Posted 2007-02-27 19:17:19 »

I will definitely install it on a new PC.
On the other hand I'm seriously considering switching to Linux for day-to-day use and development, so I'll have Vista mainly for testing. And then maybe I'll also have to hang on to XP for music if Cubase and Reason and all fail to work on Vista (which I understood is a fairly realistic possibility)...
Dammit, my future PC is already almost half-full with OS-es and I don't even have it yet!  Wink

Offline kaffiene
« Reply #8 - Posted 2007-02-27 21:30:12 »

I'll be chewing off my arms before installing Vista.  I have XP and Ubuntu right now and I'm perfectly happy with them.
Offline Eliwood

Stencyl

« Reply #9 - Posted 2007-02-27 21:52:29 »

Anyone got WIndows Vista yet? And anyone used Java6 on it, tried to make a game, OpenGL?

It's funny, I haven't seen a single computer with Vista installed. And I'm not thinking about upgrading for at least a year.

Stencyl works fine on the few users who've had Vista, so I'm relieved to know about that despite all of the reports I've heard otherwise about its OpenGL support.

I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Vista through MSDN and may give it a shot one of these days.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline elias

« Reply #10 - Posted 2007-02-28 07:06:52 »

The latest OpenGL Pipeline Newsletter contains an article about OpenGL and Vista:

http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_7/

Basically, the situation is as good/bad as with Windows XP. I had hoped Microsoft would enable the accelerated OpenGL 1.4-on-DirectX emulator for all applications though. As it stands now, it seems they only have it so they won't be flamed when widely known OpenGL games like the Quake and Doom series are run on Vista with the builtin (non-OpenGL) drivers.

- elias

Offline Eliwood

Stencyl

« Reply #11 - Posted 2007-03-04 01:23:38 »

Upgraded today without a hitch. Everything seems to work fine here. Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #12 - Posted 2007-03-04 09:19:31 »

I got an free upgrade on my laptop[...]

Free huh?

And I won't install Vista ever. As long as I don't want to play any DirectX 10 games, I won't need it anyways.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #13 - Posted 2007-03-04 21:27:38 »

Free huh?

And I won't install Vista ever. As long as I don't want to play any DirectX 10 games, I won't need it anyways.
could you give me the short version?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #14 - Posted 2007-03-04 21:54:05 »

The media copyright protection systems in Vista are overly restrictive, and render alot of recent hardware incapable of viewing legally obtained media.

It doesn't bother me too much, don't think i've ever payed for any downloaded media  Undecided

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2007-03-04 22:17:11 »

laptop is suppose to be compatable and my eyesight is too pooor to see a difference between HD content and normal. besides I beleave there are workarounds

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #16 - Posted 2007-03-05 11:55:59 »

You're paying for Vista's "premium content protection" whenever you buy hardware. Even if you don't intend to use Vista and also if you aren't interested in "premium content".

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2007-03-05 19:52:33 »

I'm not really interested in having half of my computing power dedicated to some DRM fubar. I'll stick to XP for now, and when I upgrade my hardware I'll seriously look at Linux.

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2007-03-10 01:19:20 »

After using Vista for less than a day, I disabled UAC (User Account Control) simply because it is so incredibly obstructive, to the point of being useless.
Anyhow, after reverting back to the XP style security policy (aka none), everything seemed fine.....

Until today, when I tried to install a network printer.
I got the error "The specified print monitor is unknown"
Great....
"Windows Help".... was about as useful as it usually is; I swear it should be rebranded "Windows No Help".

Thankfully I was saved by google... http://trevinchow.com/blog/2007/01/27/vista-error-the-specified-print-monitor-is-unknown/

So.... if you *disable* a security feature, your machine becomes MORE secure?! by the fact that you cannot install network printers 0_o
More irritatingly, to install a network printer if you have UAC disabled, you have to reboot your machine... TWICE. This is a step backward from XP!!!

God damn Windows sux.
I hope Vista is the catalyst for the long over-due mass exodus to Linux and Mac,
there realy is no logical reason why M$ have a monopoly when their core products are so utterly crap.

Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #19 - Posted 2007-03-10 01:51:20 »

ne we'll all be hopping over to solaris  Tongue

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2007-03-11 17:19:08 »

Just too bad Linux isn't anywhere close to being a good desktop user solution. It's in the same place as it was 7 years ago, no change.

I can't believe Mac Os X is the only other alternative for a desktop enviroment for computers in general!!

A market for a Windows alternative for PC's is huge.

Offline Eliwood

Stencyl

« Reply #21 - Posted 2007-03-11 18:42:23 »

I wouldn't count out OS X. I'm seeing significantly more people using Macs today than I was just 5 years ago. Just to throw out multiple cases, at my former high school, only a band of 5 or so people in the whole school used Macs. Today, more than half the students use them, and it's by their own volition. This is for a school with about 500 students.

At the university, just 3 years ago, I didn't see all too many Macs, but starting last year when they switched over to Intel, everybody started switching over, and I'd estimate that a good quarter of the people use them now. Don't count out OS X because it's really making strides, at least in the consumer space.

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2007-03-11 19:28:48 »

wtf have they done to windows file sharing in Vista  Undecided

Copying a 4gig dvd, across 100mbit/s ethernet (shared by only 3 computers).... I'm getting an eta of 14hours 0_o
I can download 4gig over my adsl line faster than that!!!

4gig~=32000mbits,
32000/(60*100) ~= 6minutes

6minutes != 14hours.

M$ networking is realy inefficient, I know... but 158 times slower?!?!?! *sigh*

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 613
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #23 - Posted 2007-03-11 20:39:20 »

I think you'd get ~80kb/s sending one byte per packet Grin

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #24 - Posted 2007-03-11 22:46:17 »

Dear god, save me.

<rant>
I moved a DVD drive over to my machine, so I could install the contents of this particular DVD.
(I have a dodgy DVD-RW in my machine, that has a most irritating habit of failing to read many DVDs that use stupid copy protection systems).
Anyhow, I moved over the DVD drive, cables correct, jumper correct (ide master) - reboot - bios detects drive perfectly fine.
Vista fails to boot - No error, just a freeze 'black screen of death'.
Reboot again, same.
Take the DVD out of the drive, and reboot again.
Vista boots up fine!.... but....
Vista detects the new DVD drive, installs a specific driver?! and prompts that a reboot is necessary?!?!??!?!?!?!
I ignore the request for a reboot (hell, I've never needed to reboot in XP, simply because I added a new generic IDE device).
Try to open 'My Computer' Explorer stops responding. Try to open IE, it also stops responding >_>
Try to shutdown.... Vista locks up on the 'shutting down' screen.
Reboot.
Vista starts up - put DVD into drive - open up 'My Computer', open up the DVD folder.....DVD drive spins up..... and 'My Computer' stops responding.

*sigh*
This is a DVD drive & DVD that I know work absolutely perfect when used in XP.
Now I understand Vista might be trying to be abit more clever than XP etc etc, and failing because of some driver bug or something....but....
When things *do* go wrong, I do not want a 'black screen of death on boot-up'...
Nor do I want Explorer to stop responding....
I want some god damn error feed-back! Some mechanism by which I can use logic to determine the cause; and solution to the problem!

</rant>

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #25 - Posted 2007-03-12 15:50:01 »

Looks like Vista is a total pain Cheesy

Offline Son Of Cain

« Reply #26 - Posted 2007-03-12 17:12:38 »

Just too bad Linux isn't anywhere close to being a good desktop user solution. It's in the same place as it was 7 years ago, no change.

I disagree... I use it for almost 6 years as of now, and it is by no means immutable if compared to what it was back then. I have seen (i.e used) Vista for a few hours, and I didn't see a reason for me to migrate. Plain ol' Ubuntu is the choice of my heart  Smiley

But I acknowledge that, for the average computer user (i.e, the one who is not a programmer =), Linux can be a PITA - specially considering that the very thing the 'average computer user' lacks, besides knowledge, is patience. And who can blame them for that? So I agree that Linux could show a lot more progress, specially where hardware and drivers are concerned.
Offline lfcfan

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #27 - Posted 2007-03-12 21:17:39 »

I have vista...

Offline SimonH
« Reply #28 - Posted 2007-03-13 02:29:46 »

lol

People make games and games make people
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #29 - Posted 2007-03-13 23:55:44 »

barl or w/e it's called fades the difference away between linux osx and windows eyecandy wise, it other stuff that bugs me on the linux desktop, much more subtle tings.

but are the more 'exciting features'  of vista not other stuff like http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/31/windows-vista-superfetch-and-readyboostanalyzed/page5.html eating away eclipse and jvm startup time sounds pritty great to me. though I expect somethign like this from the open source community not from microsoft.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (217 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org