Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (575)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Xith3D for SWT (again)  (Read 2111 times)
Offline jpilgrim

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2006-09-21 09:29:40 »

Hi all,

I'm looking for an implementation of a Java scenegraph which is working with Eclipse SWT instead of Swing, that is using an org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite instead of a java.awt.Canvas (or s.th. similar) and SWT events instead of AWT events. I'm currently using Java3D and the SWT_AWT bridge, but unfortunately this isn't working with Mac OS X.

I've found a thread here some time ago (http://www.java-gaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=3423.msg31689) discussing that topic and I'm wondering if a solution exists by now. If it doesn't, do you know another scenegraph implementation working with SWT?

Jens
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

Senior Duke

May the 4th, be with you...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-09-21 09:34:55 »

Hi all,

I'm looking for an implementation of a Java scenegraph which is working with Eclipse SWT instead of Swing, that is using an org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite instead of a java.awt.Canvas (or s.th. similar) and SWT events instead of AWT events. I'm currently using Java3D and the SWT_AWT bridge, but unfortunately this isn't working with Mac OS X.

I've found a thread here some time ago (http://www.java-gaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=3423.msg31689) discussing that topic and I'm wondering if a solution exists by now. If it doesn't, do you know another scenegraph implementation working with SWT?

Jens

Well, this thread is older than my account. So I cannot say, what happened as a result of it. But I can tell you, that I've found no sign of SWT in the source so far Sad. Ian I really don't know of other scenegraphs' features very much.

Marvin
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 52

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-09-21 11:08:48 »

I think this could be done, since there seems to be a SWT implementation for JOGL and at least a snippet for LWJGL on the Eclipse OpenGL page.

The greatest hurd would be to create corresponding renderers in Xith, since they don't exist yet. But I suspect implementing them would be copy and paste with straight forward package renaming of the existing renderers.

So the question is: somebody interested in doing this?

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Duke

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-09-21 16:17:09 »

So jpilgrim welcome to Xith3D,  Smiley

if you're interested in doing that, please download latest CVS sources and do the mods you need (if you think you have enough knowledge. If not, just ask something to do it for you ^^. But in every case doing it yourself is still the best solution). Then you can commit your sources and we can include them in xith3d if successful. If you are further interested in Xith3D we could grant you Dev access.

Is that fine for you ?  Smiley

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

Senior Duke

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-09-21 17:16:33 »

I think this could be done, since there seems to be a SWT implementation for JOGL and at least a snippet for LWJGL on the Eclipse OpenGL page.

The greatest hurd would be to create corresponding renderers in Xith, since they don't exist yet. But I suspect implementing them would be copy and paste with straight forward package renaming of the existing renderers.

Even if I haven't had a look at it, maybe we can use generics to reuse to AWT based renderers. I believe the main difference in it will be the containers to use (java.awt.Container in case of AWT). Maybe we can just use a generic type instead of java.awt.Container if the tow have something in common.
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Duke

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-09-21 17:21:50 »

Even if I haven't had a look at it, maybe we can use generics to reuse to AWT based renderers. I believe the main difference in it will be the containers to use (java.awt.Container in case of AWT). Maybe we can just use a generic type instead of java.awt.Container if the tow have something in common.
Hum the single word "generics" fluff the hair of the performance-wanting developer... isn't it ?

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

Senior Duke

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-09-21 17:34:19 »

Hum the single word "generics" fluff the hair of the performance-wanting developer... isn't it ?

No! Generics will never be more expensive that non-generic code. The compile is always able to create at least the same performance from the code, since the code is the same, but with additional type specifications and without (or with less) casts. Java is a strongly typed language and is even stronger typed with generics. When the compiler knows of a variable's type more exactly it can better optimize the compiled (byte) code. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be this way?

Marvin
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 52

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-09-21 18:42:14 »

The compiler will generate mostly the same byte code. In fact generics are just compiler checked casts, since that is whats happening under the hood. The instances are just casted to the specified type on request..

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

Senior Duke

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-09-21 18:48:39 »

So at least generics are no problem, if they're not even more high performance in some cases.
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Duke

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-09-22 14:45:12 »

So at least generics are no problem, if they're not even more high performance in some cases.
Ok-dokey.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jpilgrim

Junior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-09-22 15:34:29 »

Thank you all for the answers. So, I downloaded the latest version from the CVS. By CVS do you mean cvs.dev.java.net?
I didn't found any demo files in the CVS. Are they gone?
Offline jpilgrim

Junior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-09-22 15:42:23 »

Sorry, I've found them in xith-tk. TK means toolkit?
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Duke

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-09-22 16:08:27 »

Sorry, I've found them in xith-tk. TK means toolkit?
indeed

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (35 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (25 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (26 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (40 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (74 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org