Games in Showcase (581)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Migration to sourceforge and SVN  (Read 5661 times)
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

May the 4th, be with you...

« Posted 2006-09-20 01:28:50 »

Some days ago I requested two projects on sourceforge named xith3d and xith-tk. Today they've been approved.

As stated on the dev-plan 1.0 and accepted by the community I'll move the CVS code to SVN from dev.java.net to sourceforge... if nobody objects. I'll try to migrate the history as well.

To not to make a too quick rush, I'll wait until sunday. So please don't commit anything to CVS from sunday 12:00 AM (GMT+1).

And please send me a PM or mail, to ask for membership on the sourceforge projects. Don't forget to register on sourceforge first.

We should mark the dev.java.net projects something like "migrated" or so. Son't know if that's possible.

Together with the migration I'll make the step to rename the "com.xith3d" package to "org.xith3d" just as discussed earlier.

Marvin
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-09-20 15:52:59 »

Some days ago I requested two projects on sourceforge named xith3d and xith-tk. Today they've been approved.

As stated on the dev-plan 1.0 and accepted by the community I'll move the CVS code to SVN from dev.java.net to sourceforge... if nobody objects. I'll try to migrate the history as well.

To not to make a too quick rush, I'll wait until sunday. So please don't commit anything to CVS from sunday 12:00 AM (GMT+1).

And please send me a PM or mail, to ask for membership on the sourceforge projects. Don't forget to register on sourceforge first.

We should mark the dev.java.net projects something like "migrated" or so. Son't know if that's possible.

Together with the migration I'll make the step to rename the "com.xith3d" package to "org.xith3d" just as discussed earlier.

Marvin
Wow, big changes coming... Stratagem (my game) is now also officially a sourceforge.net project (not yet committed, though).
*PLEASE* try as much much much as possible to keep history or we'd better keep on CVS.

We can put a note on dev.java.net projects with "go see on sourceforge.net" but I have owner access only for xith-tk, not xith3d.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-09-20 17:45:39 »

Wow, big changes coming... Stratagem (my game) is now also officially a sourceforge.net project (not yet committed, though).

yip. Wink

*PLEASE* try as much much much as possible to keep history or we'd better keep on CVS.

Well, there's a documentation to be found on sourceforge to do this. I thik it won't be a problem. But if it - agains all expectations - won't, it's not a too big problem, since the case when we needed to revert to a privious version doesn't happen too often. And if you just want to have a look into an older version, you can easily use web-cvs on dv.java.net.

We can put a note on dev.java.net projects with "go see on sourceforge.net" but I have owner access only for xith-tk, not xith3d.

No problem. We have time until Will comes back again.

Marvin
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-09-24 13:38:21 »

I tried to make the migration to SVN, but this task has to wait for a moment Cry. To really migrate all of the history I need a copy of the RCS files from the dev.java.net CVS projects. I sent a message to the dev.java.net people to offer these files to me. So we'll have to wait until these guys report to me.

Or maybe I misunderstood something. Does anybody have an extended CVS knowlegement and can tell me, that this is not necessary? Then I would happily being guided by you Wink.

Well, CVS will be the current version system for some more days.

Marvin
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-09-26 01:38:15 »

I got an answer from dvd.java.net about it:
Hi qudus,

dev.java.net also offers Subversion. We can migrate an existing CVS repository
to Subversion. However it is a billable service from CollabNet.
There is one option to delete and recreate the project or create a new project
with Subversion but in that case the history will be lost and all project tools
will be reinitialized.

If you wish to migrate to sourceforge, our Operations team can help you get the
the CVS respository dump however, it is again a billable service from CollabNet.

Please let me know your preference on the above.

Best wishes,
Padma
java-net site administration

Unfortunately we can't get the RCS files without paying for them. So I guess we have to migrate without the history and look into it on dev.java.net, when we need it.

So if nobody has a better solution, I'll do the migration on Saturday 12:00 am (GMT+1).

Marvin
Offline cylab

JGO Knight

Medals: 34

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-09-26 11:10:08 »

What about the price tag? If it is not too expensive we could just throw the money together!?

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-09-26 13:22:04 »

History is valuable if you do manage to get it.  The java.net project may get deleted if it is not updated for a while too.  Hopefully the admins get back to you...

SourceForge is good as they let you download a repository snapshot, and SVN is definitally well worth the pain.

How much does CollabNet want for the SVN repository dump?  I'm sure you'd be able to raise it if it wasn't excessive.

Cheers,
Will

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-09-26 20:03:48 »

I've just sent a mail to Padma and asked for the price for the two options. Let's see...

Marvin
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-09-26 20:11:22 »

I think whats-is-name has made Cvs-dev-java-net to SVN-sourceforge migration for JOODE without paying anything. Can it be ? (Marvin, go in Game Physics section, "JOODE Dev Progress section")

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-09-26 20:13:12 »

I think whats-is-name has made Cvs-dev-java-net to SVN-sourceforge migration for JOODE without paying anything. Can it be ? (Marvin, go in Game Physics section, "JOODE Dev Progress section")

OK. Will do that, when I came back from cinema Wink.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-09-26 20:17:14 »

OK. Will do that, when I came back from cinema Wink.
What are you gonna see ?  Grin

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-09-26 23:22:50 »

Crank (don't know if it is the same title in france). It was really a lot of fun Smiley.
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-09-27 15:49:16 »

Crank (don't know if it is the same title in france). It was really a lot of fun Smiley.
From the trailer it seems cool : but I didn't succeeded to find the french name of it.

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-09-27 19:12:12 »

I've just sent a mail to Padma and asked for the price for the two options. Let's see...

Here is the interim reply:
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response!

The cost of this service depends entirely on the repository size and the number branches, tags etc. I will check the size and let you know the approximate price for each of the operations.

Best wishes,
Padma
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-10-05 19:35:57 »

I've just got an answer concerning the costs for getting the repository dump. And fortunately it is for free Grin Grin Grin

Here is the mail quote:
Hi Marvin,

I am delighted to say that our Operations team has agreed to provide CVS2SVN and CVS dump services for the projects xith3d and xith-tk free of charge.

Please let me know which service you would want to opt for.

I will also need the following information:

1) Preferred Time Frame for Service (Especially in case of CVS2SVN service as during such time the repository will not be accessible)
2) Contact information for 2 contacts in your project
One of them should be the Project Owner for the repository being worked on, or a Technical lead for said repository. Please gather Name, Telephone Number, and Email Address of both contacts
3) Are there any non-ascii characters in any directory structures, filenames, or meta-data? If so, list the encodings used within the repository

I am CCing the project owners of xith3d and xith-tk project for their awareness.

Please do revert if you had more questions.

We hope you opt for the CVS2SVN conversion.

Best wishes,
Padma

I guess we still want to migrate to sourceforge. So I'll ask Padma for the dumps. As you can read I need a second person for both projects. Amos and Will, could you please mail me your contact information? I don't know if Amos or me are enough for the core project so we need Will for this. But for the toolkit Amos and me should be enough.

When I have the contact info I'll post a new time frame, when the migration will be done.

Any further questions?

Marvin

PS: I guess, instead of binary files we don't have any non ascii files in the projects. Am I right?
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-10-05 21:03:47 »

Sent.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-10-08 03:29:13 »

Nice one.

As far as I know there are no non-ASCII characters in the repositories, so that should be fine.

When the new one is setup, ideally you want the standard (but not enforced) "trunk" and "branches" SVN layout so that you can easily branch the code for releases/stable versions.

I've emailed you my phone number (in case you didn't already have it).

Cheers,
Will

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-10-08 03:44:46 »

When the new one is setup, ideally you want the standard (but not enforced) "trunk" and "branches" SVN layout so that you can easily branch the code for releases/stable versions.

Please give me your sourceforge nick. I'll give you admin rights. In case I don't get it this way, you can maybe help me out.

I've emailed you my phone number (in case you didn't already have it).

Thanks. No I didn't have it.
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-10-08 15:40:53 »

Cool - thanks.  My sf username is 'divzero'

Cheers,
Will

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-10-08 15:52:04 »

Cool - thanks.  My sf username is 'divzero'

Added and set permissions.
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-10-24 22:33:35 »

I've just (and finally) got an answer from Padma on dev.java.net about the CVS dump. I'll do the migration to sourceforge on sunday 14:00 (GMT+1). I'll also migrate all changes committed to CVS up to this time even if they're not contained in the CVS dump.

For anyone interested in checking the dumps they're here:

https://xith3d.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=6131&expandFolder=6131&folderID=0
https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=6132&expandFolder=6132&folderID=0

Marvin
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Speak Java!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-10-25 11:05:00 »

Hi,

I plan also to continue with SVN under "yvg" nick.

Yuri

P.S. BTW, I am still not convinced that migration to org.xith3d is a good idea because of now there are some naming conflicts between xith3d core and xith-tk AFAICS.

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-10-25 19:33:20 »

I plan also to continue with SVN under "yvg" nick.

I granted you dev-access to core and tk on sourceforge.net Smiley.

P.S. BTW, I am still not convinced that migration to org.xith3d is a good idea because of now there are some naming conflicts between xith3d core and xith-tk AFAICS.

Where do you see the nameing conflicts? The only ones I know are in com/org.xith3d.picking, which won't be a problem. The package naming "conflicts" are wanted.

Marvin
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-10-26 10:54:56 »

In case of big problems of package/class naming, there will be a bit more of refactoring.. but users "ne seront plus à ça près" (=won't mind cause they will have already done refactoring with the com->org change).

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-10-29 15:23:59 »

The sourceforge migration is in progress. When the sourceforge server is ready, we can use the repositories. I'll post here, when it's done and I have migrated the changes made after 2006-10-23 (dump-date).

Marvin
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-10-29 19:02:38 »

Migration complete, all history preserved Grin.

I've also done the com.xith3d. -> org.xith3d. change. A simple text-replace ("com.xith3d." -> "org.xith3d.") will do the trick, if you want to port your project.

Marvin

EDIT: Please doublecheck if I didn't make a mistake and everything is fine.
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-10-30 10:53:51 »

Migration complete here also ^^ Well done Marvin and thanks !

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-11-03 03:01:07 »

Anyone else have trouble with the update site???  I keep getting problems trying to install the plugin.  I can see the plugin, just not install it.

I've had some trouble with it, when I installed it on my brother's computer the same day you encountered the problems. But it was only a question of a very long waiting time. Finally it worked.

Do you still have these problems?

Marvin
Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-11-03 03:15:38 »

I get the following trying to create the svn repository

Error validating server certificate for https://svn.sourceforge.net:443:
 - Unknown certificate issuer
   Fingerprint: 49:b8:cb:87:04:8c:49:39:45:83:dd:4c:cf:c7:54:57:b0:9e:84:5d
   Distinguished name: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-11-03 03:42:10 »

I am seeing the following trying to create svn repository

Error validating server certificate for https://svn.sourceforge.net:443:
 - Unknown certificate issuer
   Fingerprint: 49:b8:cb:87:04:8c:49:39:45:83:dd:4c:cf:c7:54:57:b0:9e:84:5d
   Distinguished name: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US

Just accept the certificate permanently.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (62 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (60 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (73 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (56 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (73 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (99 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (159 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (254 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (208 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (215 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org