Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  E-mail Notification doesn't work always?  (Read 2795 times)
Archimedes
« Posted 2003-07-15 12:27:05 »

Hi,

several topics here I've set the notification option for. However, the last days I didn't obtain a single e-mail notificiation, although there have been replies in these topics.
Is there a problem with this function, currently?
Or do I've to fire my e-mail account's administrator? :)

Thanks and greetings.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-07-15 13:23:39 »

It seems to be working for me.. maybe a SPAM filter problem?

Archimedes
« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-07-15 13:45:00 »

Well, now I got an E-Mail saying there's a reply (yours).
Unfortunately for many topics during the last days I didn't obtain a notifaction.
I don't think it's a spam filter (because I didn't turned any on), but maybe something's wrong.

Well, I'll see... :-)

Thanks for the reply.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-07-16 11:43:23 »

I hate to "me too", but I too have been not getting emails from JGO recently. I'd assumed it was a problem with my ISP; perhaps it is just co-incidence that both of us had this problem Smiley.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Archimedes
« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-07-16 12:09:15 »

I hate to "me too", but I too have been not getting emails from JGO recently. I'd assumed it was a problem with my ISP; perhaps it is just co-incidence that both of us had this problem :).

Oh well. I've checked my account, my e-mail client, etc, but all look to be fine.

Still I hardly obtain e-mail notifications from the topics I've subscribed to. I notice it when I look at the "View the 10 most recent posts of this forum. " (*)  Just 10% of the notifications which should arrive here do actually reach my mailbox.
There's something wrong, however I can't tell what.

For example, I didn't get a notifcation that you replied. However I obtained one yesterday that Swpalmer replied. Really strange.
And so on. Since I also subscribed to other mailing lists and they work fine, I think the e-mails don't reach my ISP's mailbox.
Maybe they're filtered on their way from U.S.A. to the "old" Europe? But why could Mr. Bush not want me to do OpenGL in Java...? :-)  Just kidding.

Did I mention that I hate lost e-mails? The best thing is: most of them you'll never know of... ;-)

(*) I'd love to see that in a way like: "View the 100 most recent posts of this forum."...
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-07-16 13:11:54 »

Maybe topic reply emails are only sent out once a day (or some other period) and if you actually come to the site and read the topic before the notification is sent then the notification is cancelled?  A total guess... but computers aren't noted for doing things randomly - unless you ask Wink, so there must be some explanation.

Archimedes
« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-07-16 14:37:19 »

Maybe topic reply emails are only sent out once a day (or some other period) and if you actually come to the site and read the topic before the notification is sent then the notification is cancelled?  A total guess...

Well, sounds as strange as the topic is (for me)... :-)

Interestingly I obtained a notifaction that you replied to this topic. I didn't obtain one when "Blablah" replied. So the notification does work sometimes. Obviously it depends on who replies to a topic...
;-)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-07-16 22:31:43 »

Maybe topic reply emails are only sent out once a day (or some other period) and if you actually come to the site and read the topic before the notification is sent then the notification is cancelled?  A total guess... but computers aren't noted for doing things randomly - unless you ask Wink, so there must be some explanation.

IME, the emails go out throughout the day (or perhaps that was how it USED to work, before SunONE ?).

However, what is certain is that I didn't receive ANY notifications of either of your posts to this topic in tha last 12 hours Sad.

Archimedes
« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-07-17 07:00:23 »

IME, the emails go out throughout the day (or perhaps that was how it USED to work, before SunONE ?).

However, what is certain is that I didn't receive ANY notifications of either of your posts to this topic in tha last 12 hours :(.

Yes, that's the strange point! I dont't receive any notification of your posts here, however of Swpalmer's I do. I think I've to rethink about Swpalmer's mentioned computer law: "but computers aren't noted for doing things randomly - unless you ask"
:-)

Without kidding: how could we solve this problem? In which way could the Administrator of this forum help us, if it's possible?
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-07-17 13:28:29 »

We need to do some experiments, try to reduce the variables in the equation, etc.
It seems that when I post a message here, the notification has always been sent is that correct?
Yet when Blah... posted there was no notification.  And as I understand it Blah has never received a notification from this topic, right?
We will see how consistent it is.  Will you get a  notification of this reply?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Archimedes
« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-07-17 15:42:29 »

We need to do some experiments, try to reduce the variables in the equation, etc.
It seems that when I post a message here, the notification has always been sent is that correct?
Yet when Blah... posted there was no notification.  And as I understand it Blah has never received a notification from this topic, right?

Yes, this is correct.
I get notifications when you reply to this topic, but I do not get one when Blablah replies to this topic.
We will see how consistent it is.  Will you get a  notification of this reply?

Yes, I got a notifaction that you replied.

Thanks for your help.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-07-17 18:20:30 »

Maybe you only get notification when someone of importance replies then Wink

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-07-17 21:43:51 »

Maybe you only get notification when someone of importance replies then Wink

LOL.

Anyway, I'm still not receiving ANY emails for this topic. I am always receiving emails for:

- Extremely poor performance with NIO (which I started)
- JRE download size
- ...and one or two others

It seems there a lot which I never receive emails for Sad. I'll try and keep track of which do and which don't.

Archimedes
« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-07-22 10:28:04 »

Hi,

do you (Blablah) still loose many email notifcations?

I do. A look at the current topics and my subscribed ones tell me that about 50-75% of the notifactions don't reach me. :-(
So... reading from and writing to this nice forum is not nice at all for me. I miss many discussions.

Web forums suck. In particular when they're so uncomfortable to use like YaBB. Etc. Usenet is nice.

Sigh.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-07-30 03:24:52 »

You know you don't get a notification for your own posts right?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-07-30 12:41:35 »

You know you don't get a notification for your own posts right?

Chuckle. I kinda noticed during the last 300 times or so, yes Wink.

As it happens, all posts within the last 24 hours or so have actually been notified to me (from topics which hadn't been notifying before!) - although the notifications were arriving a little late so I didn't notice them when I last posted.

INCLUDING this topic, which I wasn't getting notifications from before...

Perhaps this got fixed sometime yesterday? I can only hope... Wink Wink

Archimedes
« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-07-30 13:02:19 »

As it happens, all posts within the last 24 hours or so have actually been notified to me (from topics which hadn't been notifying before!) - although the notifications were arriving a little late so I didn't notice them when I last posted.

INCLUDING this topic, which I wasn't getting notifications from before...

Perhaps this got fixed sometime yesterday? I can only hope... ;) ;)

Agreed; the last few days the situation has improved, however it's still not 100%. Sometimes the emails arrive very late, sometimes they don't arrive at all.

Sigh.

Is there a snail mail notification possibility, maybe? :)
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (34 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (30 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (25 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (27 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (42 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (32 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (34 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (30 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (66 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org