Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (468)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  What did you ever dream of...  (Read 1462 times)
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Posted 2006-08-14 17:45:38 »

What did you ever dream of... to ease your game development process ?

Right now I'm thinking about a visual dev environment.. My personal dream is to be able to stop the game at any moment, create new objects and manipulate existent objects (including group manipulation), for debugging of course.. The ultimate thing would be to be able to design your game while playing (say, adding new code while the game is running). That would be, say, awesome but it seems to be incredibly difficult to achieve/handle.

So please let me know your dev-dreams here.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 85
Projects: 22

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-08-14 17:46:34 »

I'd like to finish a game. Yes, finish one. Completely. Done.

Kev

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-08-14 17:51:46 »

I'd like to finish a game. Yes, finish one. Completely. Done.

Kev
Oh, right me too.. but tell me Tiltilation is awesomely almost finished, isn't it ?

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-08-14 18:41:35 »

My personal dream is to be able to stop the game at any moment, create new objects and manipulate existent objects (including group manipulation), for debugging of course..

Been there, done that. It's not as useful as it first seems, and it requires lots of awkward code to implement correctly. A good level editor and a method of getting your results into game quickly (ie, in a few seconds) works just as well and is much easier.

I too, would like to finally complete a game to my own personal quality levels. Unfortunately I tend to be something of a perfectionist and so things ends up being not good enough (usually my programmer art) so it gets left unfinished.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-08-14 18:45:55 »

My personal dream is to be able to stop the game at any moment, create new objects and manipulate existent objects (including group manipulation), for debugging of course..
Been there, done that. It's not as useful as it first seems, and it requires lots of awkward code to implement correctly. A good level editor and a method of getting your results into game quickly (ie, in a few seconds) works just as well and is much easier.
Really ? You say it's not useful ? I saw your Visual Editor thingy, it seems awesome (although I didn't managed to launch it).. what's the problem with that ?
I too, would like to finally complete a game to my own personal quality levels. Unfortunately I tend to be something of a perfectionist and so things ends up being not good enough (usually my programmer art) so it gets left unfinished.
Ahm perfectionist mania, would we create a club ?

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-08-14 19:10:47 »

Really ? You say it's not useful ? I saw your Visual Editor thingy, it seems awesome (although I didn't managed to launch it).. what's the problem with that ?

It's certainly useful, it's just that you end up with all the difficulties of a game (lots) plus all the difficulties of a good level editor (plenty) plus a whole load of new problems (more than enough) all put together in one big application. While the end result is pretty neat you can get 90% of the benifits from doing good, 'traditional' tools at a fraction of the development time.

It also tends to result in an annoying dependancy between the game classes and the editor classes. Not always a literal dependancy, but the structure of both is heavily influenced where sometimes you just want to handle things in a completely different way.

Although I've not completely abandoned the in-game-editor approach, as I've recently done a GUI system where the visual editor is actually in the game. You can rearrange the menu components while it's still running and it'll save the changes automatically.  Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-08-14 19:17:02 »

It's certainly useful, it's just that you end up with all the difficulties of a game (lots) plus all the difficulties of a good level editor (plenty) plus a whole load of new problems (more than enough) all put together in one big application. While the end result is pretty neat you can get 90% of the benifits from doing good, 'traditional' tools at a fraction of the development time.

It also tends to result in an annoying dependancy between the game classes and the editor classes. Not always a literal dependancy, but the structure of both is heavily influenced where sometimes you just want to handle things in a completely different way.

Although I've not completely abandoned the in-game-editor approach, as I've recently done a GUI system where the visual editor is actually in the game. You can rearrange the menu components while it's still running and it'll save the changes automatically.  Grin
About tied architectures : yeah, that's precisely why I'm thinking about a generic approach.. Like all you have to do in your game is a callback when, say you press "m" (like "magic") and an editor starts with text fields, sliders, lists and all that to manipulate your objects (of course, your objects have wether annotations or implement some interface, or something like that to precise which editors widgets are to be used with which object) and you have a method that is called when there's need to take changes into account.

Or something like that, it's not really a consistent design for now Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (217 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-25 10:38:58

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-25 10:22:13

List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org