Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Character animation  (Read 2557 times)
Offline dbhagvat

Innocent Bystander

« Posted 2006-08-11 22:44:21 »

Hi All,

I want to animate a walking human like figure in my JOGL game. For that I wanted to know
1. which file formats (e. g. MD2, MD5, Cal3D) do you typically use to store the character animation information?
2. which tools can be used to model these animations?
3. are there any java libraries available to parse these files and load the models?

Thanks,
Deepali
Offline Sequalit

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-08-15 01:32:14 »

I would like to know this as well!

while(gettingTired())
     crankOutMoreCode();
     if(asleep()){
          wakeUp();
          makeCoffee();
          chugCoffee();
     }
}

-Sequalit
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-08-15 10:56:19 »

Hi dbhagvat,

1. which file formats (e. g. MD2, MD5, Cal3D) do you typically use to store the character animation information?
I use Cal3D and it works very well.

2. which tools can be used to model these animations?
I use Blender3D with the blender2cal3d export script which works perfectly under a few conditions.

3. are there any java libraries available to parse these files and load the models?
There are loaders for Xith3D and jME. You *could* write a jogl renderer of models loaded using the Xith3D/jME loaders but then you would better use Xith3D/jME instead.

Good luck,

Amos Wenger

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Evil-Devil

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-08-15 15:03:31 »

Ok, can you also recommend some skeletal animation plugins? cause i do not find a way to export my maya skeletal. Sad
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-08-15 16:05:02 »

Ok, can you also recommend some skeletal animation plugins? cause i do not find a way to export my maya skeletal. Sad
Sorry I don't know maya but I know cal3D has a maya exporter, just google around.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-08-16 00:27:40 »

Hi dbhagvat,

Via a java interface, or just using JNI?  I've been considering the same idea.

Does Cal3D support GLSL skinning yet?
Offline Evil-Devil

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-08-16 07:48:59 »

Sorry I don't know maya but I know cal3D has a maya exporter, just google around.
Does it export bones?
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-08-16 11:31:45 »

Via a java interface, or just using JNI?  I've been considering the same idea.
Java port. Originally made by Dave Lloyd for Fuze3D (see ShortFuze website), ported to jME by theKman, ported to Xith3D by me.

Does Cal3D support GLSL skinning yet?
Huh, Cal3D doesn't do displaying, I don't know much about GLSL skinning but I guess it mustn't be that hard to implement.

Does it export bones?
Of course ^^ Cal3D's purpose is to computes mesh deformation in respect with a skeleton.

Offline Evil-Devil

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-08-16 12:44:31 »

Hm, linux only Sad Haven't found any win binaries.
So my oddysee will continue...
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-08-16 13:04:20 »

Hm, linux only Sad Haven't found any win binaries.
So my oddysee will continue...
The maya exporter ? By the way, do you really want to use Maya ? Blender is really really nice, you know..

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Evil-Devil

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-08-16 13:12:10 »

Yea i know that blender is very nice. I get used to maya. Cause of UnrealTournament. For the moment i really do not have the time for learning blender. Sad

There must be a way to export bones direct from maya models via maya. MEL is powerfull but i haven't found a command which assist me with it.
Offline nva225

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-08-16 13:58:26 »

Sweet, I didn't realize I could use Cal3D in blender to do animation.

A while back I was looking for a suitable format and I think maybe md2 works with Xith3D but I didn't really want to use Xith.

I also really, really like blender. It's just helpful to have a list of hotkeys handy or else you might have trouble using the interface quickly. But for the most part you just have to know E - Extrude, G - Grab/Translate, S - Scale, R - Rotate, P - Push (not as useful), and maybe O - Proportional Editing and NUM 5 - toggle depth perception. Spacebar to bring up a set of menus and navigating the buttons below can get you around most other things.

Well, anyway, I love to use it and hope I can implement models in java with it at some point (currently more concerned with 2D graphical use of OpenGL, which I still have to learn how to do actually).
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-08-16 14:54:59 »

Sweet, I didn't realize I could use Cal3D in blender to do animation.

A while back I was looking for a suitable format and I think maybe md2 works with Xith3D but I didn't really want to use Xith.

I also really, really like blender. It's just helpful to have a list of hotkeys handy or else you might have trouble using the interface quickly. But for the most part you just have to know E - Extrude, G - Grab/Translate, S - Scale, R - Rotate, P - Push (not as useful), and maybe O - Proportional Editing and NUM 5 - toggle depth perception. Spacebar to bring up a set of menus and navigating the buttons below can get you around most other things.

Well, anyway, I love to use it and hope I can implement models in java with it at some point (currently more concerned with 2D graphical use of OpenGL, which I still have to learn how to do actually).
I can guarantee you you can use Cal3D models made with Blender in a Xith3D game. It works really well.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (19 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (43 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (25 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (32 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (37 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (50 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org