Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  New to Java Game Programming and my Dreams  (Read 2190 times)
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Posted 2006-07-26 22:23:52 »

Hello, and I'm not here to say "Oh, I want to make a huge MMORPG with 1000s upon 10000000000000s of players."

No, no, not at all, I plan to start more humble... but still not really Tongue.

Ok, I have a little console game in C Languge prior and you can see it here: http://forums.devshed.com/game-development-141/first-major-program-in-c-360987.html
The reason I moved to java, is that I was looking for a language with more instant and usable interface abilities with graphics and swing. So far, I konw very little about java especially. I have a lot to learn about its packages ect. I have trained my logic in my console app in C language, yet my new ideas are a whole new story, and require understanding of threads and graphics, and vast knowledge of the use of packets, to my extents.

My goal... well firstly is learn sufficent enough about java in my plan, yet while making my big game project, it will be a huge learning experience as I do it, just like I did in C, that whole project was a learning experience. Yet there are very complicated things my game must do to my knowledge. What my game will be, is a turn-based strategy game, where you customize your empire to your liking againt up to many AI players if desired. My game will be 2d, and top-down view directly. It will include tiles, and sprite that I will make myself, and music and sound effects that I will make in "Reason 3.0" music creation software. I plan to use nearly all orginal stuffs that I make, execpt some of the sound effects, and possibly picture, but most will be enhanced or sized by me.  My game will be similar in play to a Civilization game, where there are border, and a line of sight. What makes my idea so special from any other strategy game is that there are MORE THAN ONE world in the SAME game. What I mean is that, since my game will allow era from ancient to far future, you can oclonize on other planets in the galaxy. I want my planets to be made using a random generator algoritym that understand my tile gfx and generates the worlds properly and dispalces the resouces and such. So, usually several AI players will share the same planet, and other will be other the other side of the galaxy. I will allow the player to select options for how the words and galaxies are generated. My battles will be in all sorta of ways, and they will be more "interactable" then most, and I want it so you can see troop sprites move about the screen and shoot. I'm more concerned about generating my worlds and learning how grfx and swing work more than anything. Also the use of animated sprites and rotating them. I have a book that tells me how luckilly and I've dabbed in it already. I am also concerned about my art skills in MAKING the sprites and ground terrain tilesets pixel by pixel.

Problems that look very difficult to me:
-The overall world, making it so there is a bottom map, and it paints rectangle in accuracy to the actually world and updates with player.
-Scrolling upon mouse movement to edge of screen... which leads to more of the tilesets of the world exposed.
-Clicking on the world map, and it sets your view on that tile.
-PAINT graphics g, how do i make it so the game ONLY refreshed the screen of the part of the world you are looking at.
-Generating the worlds randomly, but intelligently... array? having game remeber status of terrains, prolly just array assingments, and calling the terrain by array number reference.
-CONTROLS,  luckilly java has nice way of handeling the mouse, by knowing when its released ect. but its gonna be taking a while to make control proper for my game. each unit in my game will have its own abiltiies such as a trooper will have different box options than a worker who can build roads ect.
-also with swing, I will be having it so the bottom part is an interface for the buttons for the units and the UI map, but if u click on certain units the cuttons will change for the unit... like in an rts... can i remove swing buttons and replace them with different buttons in java swing?
-animation, scarry
-everything :/

There is zillions of room for bugs and mistakes in my game. Are there any soruces you recommend to help me? And also, I am contantly learning soemthing new about java. ty for help.
#

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-07-26 22:38:19 »

>PAINT graphics g, how do i make it so the game ONLY refreshed the screen of the part of the world you are looking at.

Well, you can easily tell whats on the screen and what not. You know the upper right corner coords of the viewport and you also know its width height. And you also know the width/height of the tiles... so, you only need 2 for loops for drawing em.

Use a smaller viewport in the centre of the screen for checking if you got everything right.

>can i remove swing buttons and replace them with different buttons in java swing?

Yes, you can remove components. However, the cleaner and faster (no need to recreate anything) way is to use the CardLayout.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/layout/card.html

There you have different "cards", which contain different components and you just say that this one should be shown or that other one etc.

Oh and welcome to the board Smiley

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-07-26 22:58:11 »

So should I like... keep track of my tiles with arrays.. but lets say the user moves the camera "up" to see more tiles, my game will move up by one tile. So for the game to draw the tiles that are above, and forget about the tiles just one below... how would i do this?

im sorry but this is a very important thing to me, as it can affect performance greatly.

EDIT:
Also can anyone recommend a good sprite create that is pixel by pixel, thanx. Id like to make custom 2d sprites formy game.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-07-27 00:28:56 »

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.awt.image.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.geom.*;
import java.io.*;
import javax.imageio.*;

public class Tiles extends Canvas{
   static int [] controls = new int[0xFF];
   public Tiles()throws Exception{
      JFrame f;
      BufferStrategy strat;
      GraphicsConfiguration gc = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice().getDefaultConfiguration();
      BufferedImage set=ImageIO.read(new BufferedInputStream(getClass().getResourceAsStream("/set2.png")));

int frames=0;
      long lastSecond=0;

int MAP_W=1024;
      int MAP_H=1024;
      int SCREEN_W=640;
      int SCREEN_H=480;
      int TILE_W=32;
      int TILE_H=32;
      int TILES_X=SCREEN_W/TILE_W;
      int TILES_Y=SCREEN_H/TILE_H;
      int MAX_WX=MAP_W*TILE_W-TILES_X*TILE_W-1;
      int MAX_WY=MAP_H*TILE_H-TILES_Y*TILE_H-1;

int [][]map=new int[MAP_W][MAP_H];
      int wx=0;
      int wy=0;

f=new JFrame();
      setSize(SCREEN_W,SCREEN_H);
      f.getContentPane().add(this);
      f.pack();
      f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
      f.setResizable(false);
      f.setVisible(true);
      createBufferStrategy(2);
      strat=getBufferStrategy();

enableEvents(AWTEvent.KEY_EVENT_MASK);
      requestFocus();

Random gen=new Random();
      for(int x=0;x<MAP_W;x++)
         for(int y=0;y<MAP_H;y++)
            map[x][y]=gen.nextInt(6);

BufferedImage[]tiles=new BufferedImage[6];
      for(int i=0;i<6;i++){
         tiles[i]=gc.createCompatibleImage(TILE_W,TILE_H,BufferedImage.OPAQUE);
         Graphics g=tiles[i].getGraphics();
         g.drawImage(set,
            TILE_W,TILE_H,
            i*TILE_W,0,
            i*TILE_W+TILE_W,TILE_H,
            null);
         g.dispose();
      }

while(true){
         wx+=controls[KeyEvent.VK_RIGHT]-controls[KeyEvent.VK_LEFT];
         wy+=controls[KeyEvent.VK_DOWN]-controls[KeyEvent.VK_UP];

Graphics2D g = (Graphics2D) strat.getDrawGraphics();

if(wx<0)wx=0;
         if(wy<0)wy=0;
         if(wx>MAX_WX)wx=MAX_WX;
         if(wy>MAX_WY)wy=MAX_WY;
         int ox=wx/TILE_W;
         int oy=wy/TILE_H;

for(int x=0;x<TILES_X+1;x++)
            for(int y=0;y<TILES_Y+1;y++)
               g.drawImage(tiles[map[ox+x][oy+y]],x*TILE_W-wx%TILE_W,y*TILE_H-wy%TILE_H,null);

//-
        frames++;
         long timeNow = System.currentTimeMillis();

if(timeNow-lastSecond>=1000){
            f.setTitle("fps:"+frames);
            frames=0;
            lastSecond=timeNow;
         }
         //-
        g.dispose();
         strat.show();
      }
   }
   public void processKeyEvent(KeyEvent ke){
      controls[ke.getKeyCode()&0xFF] = (ke.getID()==KeyEvent.KEY_RELEASED)?0:1;
   }
   public static void main(String[]$)throws Exception{
      //System.setProperty("sun.java2d.opengl","True");
     //System.setProperty("sun.java2d.noddraw","");
     System.setProperty("sun.java2d.accthreshold", "0");
      System.setProperty("sun.java2d.ddforcevram", "true");
      new Tiles();
   }
}

set2.png

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-07-27 01:13:32 »

holy crap! this is amazing.

yet i cant seem to find a variable to control the speed i scroll the map at, because it is too slow for me.

whats this mean: the number at least
BufferedImage[]tiles=new BufferedImage[6];

what is the purpose of this:
static int [] controls = new int[0xFF];

What is "Canvas" that you extended.

and whats this stuff: u mention opengl commented out, and i get less fps if i try it, and what do these mean?
//System.setProperty("sun.java2d.opengl","True");
//System.setProperty("sun.java2d.noddraw","");
System.setProperty("sun.java2d.accthreshold", "0");
System.setProperty("sun.java2d.ddforcevram", "true");

is the fps counter accurate as well?

TY for help.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-07-27 02:04:54 »

>yet i cant seem to find a variable to control the speed i scroll the map at, because it is too slow for me.

wx+=controls[KeyEvent.VK_RIGHT]-controls[KeyEvent.VK_LEFT];
wy+=controls[KeyEvent.VK_DOWN]-controls[KeyEvent.VK_UP];

1pixel per tick. One would need proper timing (or frame capping) for constant scroll speed.

>What is "Canvas" that you extended.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/Canvas.html
(Its an emtpy heavy weight component.)

>and whats this stuff: u mention opengl commented out, and i get less fps if i try it, and what do these mean?

Those are flags, which influence/select the drawing pipeline. The opengl pipeline doesnt work that great with 1.5, but it should be faster and nicer with 1.6.

>is the fps counter accurate as well?

Not really. Rule of tree stuff is missing and the used timer itself isnt all that accurate. But its good enough as rough frame indicator.

Check this:
http://www.cokeandcode.com/tutorials

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-07-27 02:21:30 »

id like to understand the different renders better for optimal stuff... like the opengl and the nodraw... what do they mean?

well i know what directx and opengl is "duh", but i just wanan know

Offline beowulf03809

We live for the code, we die for the code

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-07-27 13:41:07 »

In addition to the specific questions and feedback you're getting here, don't forget to give some time to existing tutorials.  Common suggestions found here are to first go thru the ones offered by Sun on their Java site first.  Alternatively taking a Java class or worked thru a beginner's Java book ( nothing game-specific ), etc. Get the foundations down.  It sounds like you already have some.

After that, cokeandcode.com has some really good tutorials on basic Java game programming.  He even iterrates the same game thru multiple display options.

Good luck to you!  Turn-based strategy is my fav game style as well and it's always good to see another one of us around.  Cool  I still have Civ2 loaded up on my computer and return to it a couple times per year.
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-07-27 17:53:46 »

Yes civ rules, and turn based it awsome. i have civ3 and i love it. i am not fond of object oreintated languages, but will learn it. and the code and coke tuts are cool, i saw the tile tut, i just think it doesnt tell me how to scroll a map tho.

Offline beowulf03809

We live for the code, we die for the code

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-07-27 18:43:12 »

i am not fond of object oreintated languages, but will learn it. and the code and coke tuts are cool, i saw the tile tut, i just think it doesnt tell me how to scroll a map tho.

I did C ( and bad C++ that was really just C ) for a litte while and some of my early attempts and games were procedural.  OO design is really just a change of mindset that may be more difficult than the technology behind it.  Lucklly for game programmers, it's less abastract of a concept than it is for many other programmers.  In a Civ like game, you have cities, each of which has attributes such as size, production capacity, etc and has various upgrades ( another type of object ), you have Wonders, you have unites, you have resources, etc.  All of those are oportunities for modeling the game.   Then there is the game world itself, which will include the map.

Before you bother trying to figure out how to write the code, just sit down with a piece of paper and think about what makes up a Civ game.  Include the obvious ones above but also info  regarding the interface, AI leaders, etc.  You will probably have a good list of your objects.  Look for common groupings.  Settlers, Chariots, Steam Ships and Stealth Bombers are all Units and share common traits and actions ( including drawing, etc ). Write those commonalities down. Maybe you want to subdivied into Land Units, Air Units and Sea Units based on movement ( or maybe not...consider the options of both ).  Now write down the common actions and traits of each of those subgroups that are not already included in the parent Unit object.  You probably get the idea.  Don't go deeper than you need to.

Others with more experience may suggest differntly or expand on that.  The key is not to let the differences of OO vs. procedural programming seem as a bother or a limitation, but rather as an oportunity for easy modeling and understanding.

"Free your mind"
   Morpheus
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-07-27 19:04:06 »

Good post.

And what are some good book to get?

Well, I'm not making a civ CLONE, but there will be similarities. For one, my game will handel the type of units very differently, and like I said there is a galaxy with randomly generated planets, and each has their own world to explore. My rules on combat will be very different. Each unit, has a set of stats, and the game is not done in "units" its more like you send "this many troops here" ect. Right now im trying to think of how I should go about doing this troop management. If i should allow you to split the group up and move to more tiles. Also my combat somehow I let you create armies that are on a tile, and they attack when used. The game will goto a different mode all together in combat mode. you will see your top-down sprites up close and see a simulated fight, where depending on your government... how much control and command you have over the fight. Each unit has their level, accuracy, dodge rates, movement, speed, equipment, weapons, ect. This is how battles work.. you see the exact number of troops represented by the unit on the world map... and a huge fight... should be fun if done properly. Plus my "default" cvilizations are ones I created. The city management will be very different as welll... I have no touched at all on the tech trees or the finalcial mangement lol.

I have started a ms word doc about my game. I am making the table of contents first, and there is much more to be implemented, but this is it so far.

Table of Contents
Cosmos Galactic Powers

Design History
   Version 1.01

Game Overview
   Philosophy
      …

Common Questions
   What is the game?
   Why create this game?
   Where does the game take place?
   What do I control?
   What is the main focus?
   What’s different?

Feature Set
   General Features
   Game Play

The World
   Overview
   …
   …
   Planet Mode
      Overview
      Terrain
         …
      Resources
         …
      Scale
      Objects
      Weather
         …
      Day and Night
      Time
      Cycles
         …
      Disasters!
         Earthquake
         Fire
         Flood
         Hurricane
         …      

Space Mode
      Overview
      Galaxy
         Type
            …
         Size
            …
         Density
            …
      Suns
         Types
            White Dwarf
            …
      Planets
         Inner Planets
            Earthlike
Oceanic
Tropical
            Rocky
            Barren
            Arid
Volcanic            
         Outer Planets
            Gas Giant
            Icy
         Moons
            …
            Older Planets
         Climate
            Temperate
            Arid
            Cool
         Ratios
            Land/Water
         Sizes
            Minuscule
            Minute
            Small
            Standard
            Large
            Massive
            Giant
            Giant2 and Beyond         

Rendering System
      Overview
      2D Rendered

View
      Overview
      …

Game Engine
      Overview
      …
      Water
      Collision Detection

Lighting
      Overview
      …

Layout
   Overview
   …

Civilizations
   Overview
   Creating a Civilization
      Government
      …
      …

User Interface
   Overview
   …

Sound and Music
   Overview
   Soundtrack
      Main Menu
      Space Mode
      Eras
         Ancient Music
         …
      Civilization Themes
         Peace
         War
   Sound
      Interface
      …

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (15 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (33 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (41 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (40 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org