Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Roadmap for 0.9.0  (Read 7802 times)
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Posted 2006-07-24 14:29:48 »

- Javadoc Miller/Faulting/Heightmap things from Will (please do it so others can use it)
- Complete "Xith in a Nutshell"
- Finish my Slider widget, and add checkbox and radiobuttons ones (scrollbars will have to wait a bit)
- Include Cal3D support working right now

So many new things in this release...

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

May the 4th, be with you...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-07-24 14:36:55 »

Amos, could you please look for the CelShaderTest? I think, I broke it with the demo folder cleanup. Sorry.
Did you create a WidgetContainerBase class or something like that for your Slider Widget?

I don't really know, if we should name it 0.9.0. We are not too close to 1.0.0 readyness and so we could run out of numbers. Perhaps we should call it 0.8.1 even though it is a bit more than just review.
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-07-24 15:21:22 »

Amos, could you please look for the CelShaderTest? I think, I broke it with the demo folder cleanup. Sorry.
Gonna fix it.

Did you create a WidgetContainerBase class or something like that for your Slider Widget?
It's a "SlideBar" widget, not a Scrollable panel yet..

I don't really know, if we should name it 0.9.0. We are not too close to 1.0.0 readyness and so we could run out of numbers. Perhaps we should call it 0.8.1 even though it is a bit more than just review.
Hehe I thought about that one too, But 0.9.10, 0.9.11, 0.9.12 et al are ok.. See Wine.. the latest is 0.9.17.. and yet there are not too close from 1.0.0 ^^

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-07-24 15:26:43 »

Gonna fix it.

Thanks.

It's a "SlideBar" widget, not a Scrollable panel yet..

Also cool. Can be used in a ScrollablePanel Smiley

Hehe I thought about that one too, But 0.9.10, 0.9.11, 0.9.12 et al are ok.. See Wine.. the latest is 0.9.17.. and yet there are not too close from 1.0.0 ^^

That's ok.
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-07-24 17:03:28 »

Ahem the CelShadingTest is *really* broken, and it's not only because of the file paths... It's like that shader isn't working anymore.. Just launch it, you'll see.

EDIT : Maybe it's related to Goliat's changes ?

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-07-24 17:40:27 »

Ahem the CelShadingTest is *really* broken, and it's not only because of the file paths... It's like that shader isn't working anymore.. Just launch it, you'll see.

I'll try it, when I'm back at home in an hour. When I last tried it, there where only fallback textures in the mesh. But the test itself was working.
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-07-24 20:12:42 »

I've just run the CelShadingTest. I is like I last saw it after restructuring the demo folder. So I really believe, it was broken with this restructuring. Which texture is used for the model and where is it referenced?
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-07-25 03:20:09 »

I've just esteblished some prerequisites needed to make the Slider possible. I've corrected a few things in the Slider and done some things to show, how it works. I hope, I've not done too much. Well, we need at least a Listener to get notified when the Slider is sliding.

Marvin
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-07-25 13:14:55 »

- CelShading : Well I forgot to commit when I posted this message. Look again, I now put again Java Cool Dude's model it's not working properly : outline is OK but white/gray shades are wrong.. Goliat, any idea ? I compared with previous version and nothing has changed apparently...

- Slider : Is it supposed to be working ? All code's in place but nothing's moving.. gonna fix that

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-07-25 13:42:23 »

- CelShading : Well I forgot to commit when I posted this message. Look again, I now put again Java Cool Dude's model it's not working properly : outline is OK but white/gray shades are wrong.. Goliat, any idea ? I compared with previous version and nothing has changed apparently...

ok. Now I see it.  Sad

- Slider : Is it supposed to be working ? All code's in place but nothing's moving.. gonna fix that

Well, I can move the slider with the mouse. So, yes, it's supposed to be working. But of course you can't link anything with it without a listener. Isn't the slider moving on your screen?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-07-25 14:29:21 »

ok. Now I see it.  Sad

Well, I can move the slider with the mouse. So, yes, it's supposed to be working. But of course you can't link anything with it without a listener. Isn't the slider moving on your screen?
Oh sorry yes it's working it was just not aligned correctly.I just added y + height / 2f and it's now perfect.

But tell me there's a little problem with the GUI : it lags ! There's 1 sec between the moment where the mouse is on a button and the moment where you see the hovered image.. Yet this is at 14 FPS (fullscreen, crappy card). So is there a problem with scheduled operations ?

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-07-25 14:33:48 »

And the picking isn't precise at all when the window ratio isn't correct (black border if width < height or cut scene if width > height).

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-07-25 14:37:38 »

And the picking isn't precise at all when the window ratio isn't correct (black border if width < height or cut scene if width > height).

hmm... I'll check that for width < height. But I've always width > height (4:3) and picking is absolutely precise. I get incorrect visualization when I resize the window. But I think this is low priority, since finally in a game, the window won't be resized.

What about the Slider. Is it working for you now?
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-07-25 14:42:27 »

hmm... I'll check that for width < height. But I've always width > height (4:3) and picking is absolutely precise. I get incorrect visualization when I resize the window. But I think this is low priority, since finally in a game, the window won't be resized.

What about the Slider. Is it working for you now?
Yeah, it's working.

But still event handling is slow.

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-07-25 14:55:00 »

Hmm... I've no problems with slow event handling. What a CPU do you have?
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-07-25 15:16:42 »

Hmm... I've no problems with slow event handling. What a CPU do you have?
Athlon XP 2200+

EDIT: But I guess it's rather the graphic card.. cause when it's in 640x480 or 800x600 it's perfect. It's just slow as hell (14FPS) in 1280x1024

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-07-25 15:20:02 »

Athlon XP 2200+

EDIT: But I guess it's rather the graphic card.. cause when it's in 640x480 or 800x600 it's perfect. It's just slow as hell (14FPS) in 1280x1024

I had no problems at higher resolutions, but my graphics card is quite fast. But I'll check that later. I cannot run the code now, since I'm developing a WidgetContainerBase and Panel Widget and have lots of red marks in Eclipse at the moment Smiley.
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-07-25 15:50:56 »

OK. I've tested the HUD3DTest at 1280x1024 without any performance issue. Seems like it's your graphics card, sorry. What a graca do you have?

Why did you add the (height / 2) thing to the Slider positioning? Place the Slider Widget to (0,0) and you'll see, that it's wrong. y-position=0 for the background-thing and the handle gave the correct result.
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-07-25 15:59:23 »

Ahah ok so sorry for the handle thingy (it was because the window did not have the correct ratio, thus picking was wrong.

Gfx card = GeForce 4 MX 440 SE. Yes, I know, it sucks

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-07-25 16:36:35 »

Qudus : How do I do if I want images to have correct width and height whatever the resolution ? I need that to implement more sophisticated buttons, defined by a image divided in 3x3 rectangles (see attached image). So that the background image isn't distorted and everyone's happy.

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-07-25 16:45:02 »

Qudus : How do I do if I want images to have correct width and height whatever the resolution ? I need that to implement more sophisticated buttons, defined by a image divided in 3x3 rectangles (see attached image). So that the background image isn't distorted and everyone's happy.

Should be possible with the getXithPixelSize() method of the WidgetContainer (HUD).

What about the height/2 thing in the Slider? Will you change that (or already have), or can I do that without causing CVS conflicts?
Offline Goliat

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-07-25 16:57:21 »

sorry ... haven't followed this one
that problem can't be related to my stuff ... the 'old' assembler style shader stuff that jcd is using there is totally unrelated to the 'new' glsl ones
(at least i think so)
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-07-25 17:01:29 »

I think, I'm having the problems that you had, Amos, when you were thinking, the Slider didn't move. Sometimes it actually doesn't move. I'll trace, why this is like it is.
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-07-25 17:52:34 »

Forget, what I said about getXithPixelSize()!!! I've just implemented two new methods in WidgetContainer named getEqualWidth(float), getEqualHeight(float).

Try this:
Widget w = new Image(100, hud.getEqualHeight(100), "mytex.png");

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-07-25 17:57:56 »

I think, we should rename the Slider Widget to ScrollBar to stay as close to the Swing naming as we have with the other Widgets. What do you think?
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-07-25 18:25:29 »

That's ok.

Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-07-25 18:51:28 »

I traced the problem with the unprecise picking and scene cut...

Seems like there's a problem in the JOGL implementation. When I create the Canvas3DWrapper by the Xith3DTestStarter the Window will have the exact size I chose and a instets of size xyz. When I create the Canvas3DWrapper directly in the main method of the HUD3DTest with exactly the same parameters, the window eill have a size of (chosen_size - insets) and the drawing area will have a size if (chosen_size - insets - insets). This behaviour is reproducable, but I can't see how to avoid it.

Well, that's why you'll sometimes have scene cutting and unprecise picking. In fullscreen mode (undecorated windowed in JOGL) this roblem seems to never appear.

Deas anyone have an idea?
Offline Marvin Fröhlich

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-07-26 02:36:49 »

So... another quite huge bunch of work is done:

• We now have a WidgetContainerBase and a Panel.
  • The Slider is complete now and works great. But I still think, we should rename it to Scrollbar because of Swing naming similarity (before someone uses it).
  • The Slider is equipped with a listener now.
  • I've updated the HUD3DTest to demonstrate all this.

In the HUD3DTest I've linked a Panel and a Slider through a ScrollbarListener to scroll the Panel. An implementation of a "ScrollPanel" should be quite easy and streight foreward.

Now we desperately need clipping!!! How can we do this? Is stencil test the right tool for it?

Marvin
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-07-26 10:30:15 »

So... another quite huge bunch of work is done:

• We now have a WidgetContainerBase and a Panel.
  • The Slider is complete now and works great. But I still think, we should rename it to Scrollbar because of Swing naming similarity (before someone uses it).
  • The Slider is equipped with a listener now.
  • I've updated the HUD3DTest to demonstrate all this.

In the HUD3DTest I've linked a Panel and a Slider through a ScrollbarListener to scroll the Panel. An implementation of a "ScrollPanel" should be quite easy and streight foreward.

Now we desperately need clipping!!! How can we do this? Is stencil test the right tool for it?
Great ! You can rename Slider to Scrollbar, your're right it's clearer. For clipping yes stencil test would do the trick I think but hee it's pretty complicated you have to :
- Add a quad with transparency = 1 (invisible) and stencil function adjusted.. properly ^^ Take a look a the StencilTest, it's self-explanative. The thing I don't know is how to do several level of stencil cause we need multiple clipping (panels on panels on panels,e tc..)

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-07-27 17:38:13 »

Arggh stencil is a nightmare : I did thousands of tests and didn't succeed into clipping properly these objects. I began to make a clipping function that takes a TriangleArray and two Point2f (topLeft, bottomRight) as arguments and return a clipped TriangleArray (not necessarily the same vertex count). It's not finished yet, but I think it could be useable. I just hope it won't be too slow.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (28 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (57 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (74 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (38 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (57 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (28 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (34 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (34 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (40 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org