Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (553)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Dual core system for Java Dev  (Read 3693 times)
Offline 20thCenturyBoy

Medals: 3

So much to learn, so little time.

« Posted 2006-07-24 08:30:51 »

I am thinking of upgrading my PC to a dual core CPU. But I have heard of timing issues in games using these CPUs.
Is anyone using a dual core CPU and if so have you had any issues, either with developing or playing games (Java or otherwise)?

"I have never done unit testing and I don’t find it a very useful concept" - Jonathan Blow
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-07-24 08:39:14 »

Dual core works fine here.  It's a good test of your multi-threaded coding too since more than 1 thing will happen at once. 

Some say dual core works better for java due to the garbage collector thread's ability to run without screwing up the main thread, but as far as I know the default gc is a 'stop-the-world' one where all threads pause while it does its work.

Offline superjames

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-07-24 10:57:15 »

Dual core works fine here.  It's a good test of your multi-threaded coding too since more than 1 thing will happen at once. 

Some say dual core works better for java due to the garbage collector thread's ability to run without screwing up the main thread, but as far as I know the default gc is a 'stop-the-world' one where all threads pause while it does its work.

im not too sure about that to be honest
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-07-24 11:39:50 »

That huh? Awfully precise. Smiley

Go for dual core (no HT). Its nice extra breath.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-07-24 17:28:08 »

is there anyway to upgrade to a new system that isn't dual core then? we should have quad core avail at the upper end of the mainstream market if intel is to be beleaved,

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Catharsis

Medals: 4
Exp: 18 years

TyphonRT rocks!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-07-26 11:28:33 »

Definitely nice... I do a lot of audio software creation and dual core has been an instant performance boost as the audio engine I use (SuperCollider3) runs on a core and my game / timing loop runs on another and blamo no audio glitches / drop outs during intense use on the timing loop. Where as before on a single core I had to be really sensitive to not hog the timing loop for say loading a game level (Auriga3D). I couldn't play glitch free audio and let the game engine chug along full speed (again during loading). During gameplay things were fine single core, but dual core clears all of this up and can do audio and intense use of a timing loop synchronously with no drop outs. mmmm.... 

I'm probably going to pimp out my 939 AMD system with the last dual core processor of that line soon... Holding off to K8L maybe for a full upgrade.. Got the 1900XTX though a month ago or so.. mmm... Smiley  I'm really waiting for a tablet PC that has a graphics accelerator as well..  I'm running a large scale surround system on a thinkpad w/ firewire card and RME Fireface this weekend.. So portable.. Considering 3 years ago my setup consisted of a Mac and PC desktop networked with two CRT monitors.. mmmm... tech life goes on... 

I just got the Sidekick3 too and oh my gosh is it easy and fun to program for and is quite a nice environment for creating games; there are nice features such as fillTexturedPolygon primitive that will make doing more interesting engines possible; I haven't really hit it for performance yet though have a simple tank game functioning. I hope to squeeze out some games for the SK3 in my "spare" time..  That and get the SK3 controlling my surround sound software so I can drop the volume on bad DJs/performers... ;P

Offline whome

Carte Noir Java

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-07-27 13:05:21 »

I believe multicore HyperThreading CPUs may have some timer problems compared to a singlecore CPUs. I don't know if same applies to multiprocessor systems.... Huh
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-07-29 04:11:57 »

(1) "Hyper Threading" is rediculous and sucks so dont confuse it with true dual core and real on-chip multi-threading.  (Sneeze on  an HT thread and you lose your state and are  no better off then a standard monocore CPU.)

(2)My only caution would be that most of your suers are probably on soingle trehaded CPUs so you may fool yuourself and get much *better* performance in your Java dev environment then your customer is going to see.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-08-18 22:20:46 »

I've just upgraded to a Core2 Duo 6700 (running @ 3Ghz for now) and the performance, especially under Java, is unbelievable...when running Paradroidz on my not-so-bad P4HT@3.2Ghz, i'm getting 300fps. On this machine, i'm getting 700fps. Enabling jPCT's multi-threading support, i'm getting 1000+fps. The same for software rendering: 50fps on the P4, 120fps on the Core2. I also have an Athlon64X2 running here...it doesn't even come close to the Core2 in terms of performance regarding Java applications. So if you want to go dual, go Core2...it's breathtaking!

Offline uj

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-08-19 07:46:28 »

(1) "Hyper Threading" is rediculous and sucks so dont confuse it with true dual core and real on-chip multi-threading.  (Sneeze on  an HT thread and you lose your state and are  no better off then a standard monocore CPU.)

Isn't the whole idea with a JVM that you're sheltered from the risk of "sneezing" on the hardware. You program in Java and the effort of skilled JVM engineers isolates you from any risk of contaminating the platform.

(2)My only caution would be that most of your suers are probably on soingle trehaded CPUs so you may fool yuourself and get much *better* performance in your Java dev environment then your customer is going to see.

Congratulations to your sharp analysis! No more will developer fool themselves into thinking that their programs run equally fast everywhere regardless of platform.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-08-19 13:28:42 »

It's good to know that Java takes full advantage of dual-core cpus in a transparent way. One more point to java.

Offline uj

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-08-20 07:01:55 »

I believe multicore HyperThreading CPUs may have some timer problems compared to a singlecore CPUs. I don't know if same applies to multiprocessor systems.... Huh

What do you mean by "timer problems". If it's a bug in the hardware it's got to be fixed. If it's a bug in the JVM it's got to be fixed. If it's a bug in your program it's got to be fixed too.
Offline ryanm

Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-08-20 09:29:44 »

I believe this might be what whome is talking about.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-08-21 08:24:31 »

Best typo ever.  Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (10 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (24 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (37 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (29 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (27 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org