Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Runescape still rising in MMOGCHART  (Read 5253 times)
Offline shawnkendall

« Posted 2006-07-07 14:38:57 »

WoW, is STILL  taking all the hardcore market, kind of incredible. Almost all other MMOGs are dropping EXCEPT for the two independents, Eve Online and Runescape (Java) (Yeah and YEAH!)
http://www.mmogchart.com/

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-07-07 14:39:51 »

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline MickeyB

my game will work, my game will work!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-07-09 04:21:51 »

Holy smoke!    Last time I played Runscape it was 2D, I think. 

MickeyB

Current Project: http://www22.brinkster.com/mbowles/
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline whome

Carte Noir Java

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-07-09 12:04:36 »

I have played it for 2 weeks and I dont wonder why it is so successfull. Its very easy to start playing, an excellent first-time tutorial is played first to get used to gameplay. It is not a highend 3d experience, but is enough for "browser based" game.

No installation and can be played at the library, school, home, friends home. Try same with your WoW account.
Offline SmittyTheSmit

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-07-09 14:10:07 »

I have a level 105-108 character on Runescape ..... After more than 2 years of playing that game like a possessed loon , I`ve finally had enough ..

Great game
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-07-09 22:02:15 »

Both Eve and Runescape are somewhat niche games.  So it sort of makes sense that WoW is pulling from the other games but not from those.

I am somewhat surprised CoV.CoH isnt doing better.  In pen and paper superhero games have always done very well.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-07-09 22:05:39 »

ALso, what the hell am  I still missing about WoW??

Ive tried playing ti with two different characters and IUjust don't see the huge appeal...

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-07-09 22:14:23 »

Both Eve and Runescape are somewhat niche games.  So it sort of makes sense that WoW is pulling from the other games but not from those.

I believe this is evidence of true MMOG market fragmentation and not so much "niching".  Wow is pulling in all the hardcore MMOG, Runescape would be casual MMOG. See casual in <a href="http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/06/170206">Casual Gaming the Real Next Gen?</a>

At a higher level, I see allot of Web 2.0 and casual gaming similarities, especially since research is showing that casual games don't necessarily play less, but just have a different user experience.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-07-09 23:19:18 »

I think WoW draws from a pool of new players whole family's seem to play it sun, sister, dad, mom and grandad and mother might kick in a few hours too.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-07-10 09:47:09 »

Ive tried playing ti with two different characters and IUjust don't see the huge appeal...
It has none but they sell that like it is gold.
The game is shallow, totally overhiped thus also group pressure and not to mention the monthly costs forces you to continue playing.
Also the system forces people to constantly play so to not fall back.

I think WoW draws from a pool of new players whole family's seem to play it sun, sister, dad, mom and grandad and mother might kick in a few hours too.
dunno.
All I can say is one of my friends quit WoW and two others picked up GW. yeah!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-07-10 18:55:20 »

Pure polish, style and Blizzard magic-pixie-dust. It doesn't add anything new, but it does all the old stuff in a way that is cartoony and fun and that people enjoy.

Also, like social networking tools, when a certain number of people join up lots of others join up because everyone they know is playing...
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-07-10 23:16:08 »

Pure polish, style and Blizzard magic-pixie-dust. It doesn't add anything new, but it does all the old stuff in a way that is cartoony and fun and that people enjoy.

And the cartoony stuff turns me off.  Im looking for am immersive expereince and unless I am playing TOON< looking like a toon detracts from it for me.

Ah well, Im not the amss market.

I have been trying GW factions, but ti isnt grabbing me.  My issues are:

(a) NO roleplay anywhere that I see.

(b) Trying to figure out the right combinations of skills to take in my limited slots is a pain, sorry.  I just dont want to have to learn all these niggling details to succeed..

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 122
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-07-10 23:27:47 »

WoW isn't targeted at roleplayers like yourself Jeff - maybe thats why they're doing so well - tapping a different market of people.

I find it all a bit scary that what was once so un-cool, techie, geeky and nerdy is now becoming something that everyone and their dog does. First it was web games, then consoles fell to the fashion driven masses  - and now, massively multiplayer online games... what next!?? Pocket protectors as a fashion item?

Sitll, spose its all mo moola to those lucky enough to be in the right industry right now.

Kev

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-07-11 06:01:47 »

(b) Trying to figure out the right combinations of skills to take in my limited slots is a pain, sorry.  I just dont want to have to learn all these niggling details to succeed..

I know what you mean. GW Factions is the first MMORPG that I've ever bought.  I only got it because I had a gift card and there are no monthly fees.  Until the monthly fees drop to $1 or less and I can't live without the game, I will never pay a "service fee" for a game.  I simply don't have the time to devote to it that would make it worth it.
I played it for a few days - but got a bit frustrated on one mission in particular where it seems my character just wasn't ready.  After dying a zillion times I finally beat it.. but the fun factor was dropping fast.  I'm got a bit better after that, but I haven't played for a couple weeks now...   I agree, there isn't much RP in there.  What's the pointof having a wicked sexy deadly assassin chick without the RP? Smiley

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-07-11 06:19:10 »

WoW isn't targeted at roleplayers like yourself Jeff - maybe thats why they're doing so well - tapping a different market of people.

Like Diablo II compared with the DnD clones.  I haven't played it, but from other people I've seen playing it looks like the new Diablo II.  That wasn't really classic role playing either but was very basic & super-popular.  WOW sounds like that but with all all the bells & whistles - 3D, MMOG, loads of content, seamless adventuring (no loading pauses)... I haven't looked into it but isn't WOW a massive thing in Asia (Sth Korea, China)?? That could make the numbers so enormous.  I wonder what the subscription cost is for them?

Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-07-11 09:50:22 »

I like the balance and how other builds actually work, if you look at WoW you see all the wizzards using the same spells for example. Some ppl seem to have been rusted solid in that state, yesterday somone was whining because I as a warrior was using 5 spells of my 2nd profession and how that should automaticly imply that was build was bad or something. GW isn't a MMO in the sense that it's setup the same like diablo but with a much fancier lobby. Guildwars never aimed at beeing RP supportive nor not really at single player niether it's mostly aimed at pvp.

I haven't had a real problem with teh missions but I noticed that after I played the other classes though PvP system the single player missions became easier. And I see the tradional MMO/RPG player hittign the wall there with all the grinding going on you should be nuts to build other characters. and they are iether always the warrior or allways the wizzard or ... wenn they do try an other class they dismiss it directly, once you however get passed that you notice the weakness of the class and if you then turn back to your preffered class you play better.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-07-11 10:01:01 »

Define roleplaying.
The only two I know where you could get reasonable amount of RP (if the servers support it) are NWN and UO.

There are some sites like gwonline or guildwarsguru that offer builds you can use.
Your best bet would be to join a mature guild. You can ask them for help and get good items.

@swpalmer:
you mean WoW right?
GW does not have monthly costs.

@Mr_Light:
all 100%.
The builds can really differ and the idea with the 2nd class is the best idea yet.
In GW it is important to try out other classes to see where they excell at.
Every class has one or more nemesis classes and you if you do not know this, they will kill you every time.
My prefered targets are monks and messmers, in that order.
Take them out and the opponents fighting capabilities drops fast.
Expecially the monks.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-07-11 10:34:06 »

I know what you mean. GW Factions is the first MMORPG that I've ever bought.  I only got it because I had a gift card and there are no monthly fees.  Until the monthly fees drop to $1 or less and I can't live without the game, I will never pay a "service fee" for a game.  I simply don't have the time to devote to it that would make it worth it.
I played it for a few days - but got a bit frustrated on one mission in particular where it seems my character just wasn't ready.  After dying a zillion times I finally beat it.. but the fun factor was dropping fast.  I'm got a bit better after that, but I haven't played for a couple weeks now...   I agree, there isn't much RP in there.  What's the pointof having a wicked sexy deadly assassin chick without the RP? Smiley

LOl  I have her sister Wink

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-07-11 10:37:30 »

Define roleplaying.
The only two I know where you could get reasonable amount of RP (if the servers support it) are NWN and UO.

Gods you want the long or short definition?

Short definition: Taking on the role of someoen you are not and trying to think,act and react as that person.  Generally this also means making that person conform to the sitting in which the game is played.

Long definition: Byany pen and npeper RPG and read the "what is a ROleplayign Game" section.  I particaularly like the one in the HERO rules.

There are some sites like gwonline or guildwarsguru that offer builds you can use.
Your best bet would be to join a mature guild. You can ask them for help and get good items.

No offense... but thats too much work.  I dont want to have to research my game to play it.

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-07-11 11:30:22 »

Short definition: Taking on the role of someoen you are not and trying to think,act and react as that person.  Generally this also means making that person conform to the sitting in which the game is played.

Long definition: Byany pen and npeper RPG and read the "what is a ROleplayign Game" section.  I particaularly like the one in the HERO rules.
Then people like us only have games like NWN or UO.
Everything else is just a wrapping around similar content.

There are some good NWN roleplaying servers out there that might offer what you seek and you can probably pick up NWN in some bargain bin.

No offense... but thats too much work.  I dont want to have to research my game to play it.
Not much more then with other games.
To perfect your game, yes, but that is not needed.
I am a notorious non-hardcore type player that does care to research my games.
Offline beowulf03809

We live for the code, we die for the code

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-07-11 18:43:35 »

Personally what bugs me about most of these and is the main reason I haven't bothered to invest much time or money into playing is the "requirement" to join a guild ( or aliance, or corporation, or faction or whatever that particular game calls it ).  These games have become the equivalant of growing up in an inner-city environment where you either join a gang or you are going to be abused by other people in a gang.

If I want to play a barbarian warrior out to win a kingdom by his own hand, or the loner scoundel space pirate chasing the next contract while staying one step ahead of the authorities, I should be able to.  If the mechanics or environment of the game force me to be a member of a guild in order to have a reasonable chance of success then the game is robbing me of my ability to role-play the character I choose.

Of course, I don't have the solution to this problem...yet.   Wink  When I do, I'll let you all know where to sign-up.   Cool
Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-07-12 09:06:04 »

Personally what bugs me about most of these and is the main reason I haven't bothered to invest much time or money into playing is the "requirement" to join a guild ( or aliance, or corporation, or faction or whatever that particular game calls it ).  These games have become the equivalant of growing up in an inner-city environment where you either join a gang or you are going to be abused by other people in a gang.
I agree for games where the other gang can gang up on you.
Seen it in many browser games.

And there are games like WoW where if you are not in a guild you will not be able to do the mega raids and can forget about getting those superpower weapons.

In GW you are not required to join a guild but it helps.
You can still join up with people outside of your guild and do quests.
For my guild we are all friends of friends or nice people we have met online.
The Guild helps us find each other and communicate.
Not to mention sharing items.
we have a no cost system: no one pays or demands pay for items. everyone shares

Heck you do not really need a guild except for GvsG wars.
And guilds cost a fortune (if you want the fancy castle and whatnot).

If I want to play a barbarian warrior out to win a kingdom by his own hand, or the loner scoundel space pirate chasing the next contract while staying one step ahead of the authorities, I should be able to.  If the mechanics or environment of the game force me to be a member of a guild in order to have a reasonable chance of success then the game is robbing me of my ability to role-play the character I choose.

Of course, I don't have the solution to this problem...yet.   Wink  When I do, I'll let you all know where to sign-up.   Cool
I agree 100%.
Also people never play like they would act IRL.
IRL people sceme and backstab all the time.
In games, people are, at a guild-widelevel, a buch of friggn carebares.
Anyone read those EvE stories about how certain groups busted up large corps. That is what games should allow.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-07-12 10:22:36 »

Then people like us only have games like NWN or UO.
Everything else is just a wrapping around similar content.

Oh I have multiple complete NWN sets Cool

The biggest problem is the frigging server whichcraps out at about a dozen players.

I was heaviuly invovled in two of the largest PW NWn attempts, ALFA and AVLIS.  But inthe end they both had huge scaling problems. Additionally, although people RPd to some extent, it really didnt effefctplay much.  There were a lot of dynamics issues but that would be a long post and its late.

But in its DM-ability... when actively Dmd for small, closed groups of people, then yeah ID say NWN came the closest.

But you do see RP in other places.  Im involved with a bunch of really good ROleplayers rigth now in CoV/CoH and they arent that hard to find on Virtue-- which is a sevre staked out by the RPers.

In contrast Ive seen almost NONE in GW.

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-07-12 10:33:13 »

Oh I have multiple complete NWN sets Cool

The biggest problem is the frigging server whichcraps out at about a dozen players.

I was heaviuly invovled in two of the largest PW NWn attempts, ALFA and AVLIS.  But inthe end they both had huge scaling problems. Additionally, although people RPd to some extent, it really didnt effefctplay much.  There were a lot of dynamics issues but that would be a long post and its late.
Avlis? ... your kidding right? Check your mail.

But in its DM-ability... when actively Dmd for small, closed groups of people, then yeah ID say NWN came the closest.
I was of the scripter type. Only DMed for a german group.

But you do see RP in other places.  Im involved with a bunch of really good ROleplayers rigth now in CoV/CoH and they arent that hard to find on Virtue-- which is a sevre staked out by the RPers.
Might be something for the SGS to look into?

In contrast Ive seen almost NONE in GW.
There is none in GW and that is ok by my standards and one reason I like it.
They are not trying to be something it cannot.
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-07-12 16:32:39 »

Wenn you look at the successfull games out now, they all do what they are designed for instead of trying to be a swiss army knife with everything in there, wenn in production they might move a certain way that involves other elements. All in all I see some agile elements trending into the game titles (dev).

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-07-13 01:34:10 »

@swpalmer:
you mean WoW right?
GW does not have monthly costs.

Re-read my post - I got GW because it DOESN'T have monthly fees.  I won't likely ever buy a game that does.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-07-13 01:42:11 »

What's the pointof having a wicked sexy deadly assassin chick without the RP? Smiley

LOl  I have her sister Wink

Well if she ever bumps into Scarlet Falcon in GW say Hi Smiley

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-07-13 21:33:49 »

heh. Aki Asame

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-07-13 23:34:10 »

Anyone read those EvE stories about how certain groups busted up large corps. That is what games should allow.

Do you have any links?
Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-07-14 09:18:30 »

Do you have any links?
Thank FSM that my IM has logs:
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (34 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org