Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (590)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Your opinion about DirectX10 and OpenGL?  (Read 23868 times)
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #90 - Posted 2006-08-22 05:22:48 »

So the reason why we want a DX binding is for reliability.  The problem is that a non-Sun-backed API is bound to be buggy, even Java3D seems to have loads of trouble with DX depending on whether its fullscreen/windowed, etc.

Offline uj

Junior Devvie

« Reply #91 - Posted 2006-08-22 05:57:14 »

For Gods sake you contradict yourself in every post. If you want to be devils advocate at least do it in an inteligent way.

And you who are so intelligent would you please give an example of such a contradiction; A single one in the whole thread. And I'm not anybody's advocate. I'm expressing my own view.

Come on now zingbat, I'm waiting for you to produce an example of a contradiction. Shouldn't be too hard considering your great intelligence and the large number of posts I've made.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 421
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #92 - Posted 2006-08-22 10:22:23 »

No more flames please or the thread will be locked.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7
Exp: 15 years

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #93 - Posted 2006-08-22 11:15:04 »

But flames are good Smiley

Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #94 - Posted 2006-08-22 12:35:59 »

How ironic...
Flames lead to board wars...and some other misjudging things.

@Thread: As of OGL isn't anymore limited in vista, the situation is ok for me. I dislike the idea of playing Quake with DX. None the less DX is powerfull, but limited to Windows. A binding might be interesting, but the  overall effort would be no compare to the usage i think.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #95 - Posted 2006-08-22 12:44:54 »

That rather depends on whether a decent JVM becomes available for the 360.

Cas Smiley

Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Devvie

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #96 - Posted 2006-08-22 12:54:29 »

Java for the 360 would be really cool.
Does anyone know how to install own apps on the 360 without that devkit from M$?
Offline zingbat

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #97 - Posted 2006-08-22 12:58:21 »

Only if they are thai flamers Smiley
http://www.penelopesloom.com/archives/2006/07/thai_girls.php
Offline uj

Junior Devvie

« Reply #98 - Posted 2006-09-09 14:37:36 »

No more flames please or the thread will be locked.

Cas Smiley

You're reacting very slowly Mr. Forum Moderator. The only flaming in this thread has been by Jeff already in post #42 where he calls me a troll. Other than that I can see no flaming. Can You? I suggest you clarify your position.

I'm just asking Zingbat to justify what he claimed, nameley that I'm contradicting myself.

So Zingbat, where's your example? In this whole thread just give one single example of where I'm contradicting myself? Can you do that or have you been bullshitting?
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #99 - Posted 2006-09-09 15:02:43 »

I'm not a moderator, and that was a flame.

Now, enough rubbish, just go away and write a DX binding for us and everyone will be happy.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline uj

Junior Devvie

« Reply #100 - Posted 2006-09-09 16:42:01 »

I'm not a moderator, and that was a flame.

Now, enough rubbish, just go away and write a DX binding for us and everyone will be happy.

Cas Smiley

Rubbish? What do you mean? The only thing rubbish I've seen here is you. You haven't even explaind what you mean by rubbish.
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 195
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #101 - Posted 2006-09-09 17:36:05 »

Just insults now. Was an interesting discussion for a while though Smiley

Kev

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #102 - Posted 2006-09-10 16:23:49 »

You're reacting very slowly Mr. Forum Moderator. The only flaming in this thread has been by Jeff already in post #42 where he calls me a troll. Other than that I can see no flaming. Can You? I suggest you clarify your position.

I'm just asking Zingbat to justify what he claimed, nameley that I'm contradicting myself.

So Zingbat, where's your example? In this whole thread just give one single example of where I'm contradicting myself? Can you do that or have you been bullshitting?

Definition of a "Troll" (http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp):

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums.  A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion.  Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

Provoking further discussion from another forum member by insulting them (not once, but twice!) in the same discussion indeed fits the troll profile.  For example:

For Gods sake you contradict yourself in every post. If you want to be devils advocate at least do it in an inteligent way.

And you who are so intelligent would you please give an example of such a contradiction; A single one in the whole thread. And I'm not anybody's advocate. I'm expressing my own view.

Come on now zingbat, I'm waiting for you to produce an example of a contradiction. Shouldn't be too hard considering your great intelligence and the large number of posts I've made.

You have been warned several times to stop this behavior and can't seem to stop.  If you provoke people, you can't be suprised when they push back.

Sorry to do this, but your account is now suspended.

-Chris

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #103 - Posted 2006-09-11 08:27:16 »

I hope the suspension will be just temporary.  Even though the tone of the thread started to get a little rude, I thought she provoked a really good discussion.

It helps to have someone like uj coming from a non-sympathetic perspective and shaking things up, asking difficult questions.

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #104 - Posted 2006-09-11 11:18:12 »

+1
from me for reverting the suspension.

uj:
just relax a little bit and take posts into account, that directly respond to your questions. The reason for sun not to provide an official DX binding was given several times, but you've still beaten the dead horse. You could have switched over to discuss the possibility of creating a community supported DX binding easily, which IMHO would have been much more productive and even might have led to something...

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #105 - Posted 2006-09-11 12:52:10 »

Yes, it is temporary, rather than deleting uj's account. I welcome debate, heated debate is even better as it draws more discussion. However, looking through uj's history, she often brings the discussion into personal attacks and that always degrades the value of her position. I have found that she often makes valid points but when the discussion turns into trolling, well, that's what slashdot is for.

The suspension is for one week.

- Chris

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4

Maximumisness

« Reply #106 - Posted 2006-09-11 23:35:58 »

Well, I hope to be able to welcome her back with the same provocative and intelligent discussion points, but with a smarter attitude.

Offline K.I.L.E.R

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #107 - Posted 2006-09-12 12:33:38 »

I've missed quite a lot, haven't I?

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 51

I always win!

« Reply #108 - Posted 2006-09-13 09:21:56 »

Phew, wow, hm, Smiley Seems like I missed a lot of action, this thread of mine wasn't even 1 page when I went AWOL.

Someone got banned? hehe, I guess it's my fault Smiley But better to get banned (for a limited time) on a forum rather than being put to the ground by the police and put to jail for protesting Smiley

Nice to see that this is a heated debate, they're healthy for the soul and mind.

I think a DX opengl binding is not what Sun would want, not because of they don't like Microsoft, but rather because it doesn't fit the ideaology of Java. "Write once, run everywhere" - hm, although it doesn't really work, they do try to follow that ideaology, and when you can write a platform specific application (like a game using DX) then you're pretty sure it wouldn't work on other platforms. OpenGL doesn't have this problem.
But of course you can always layer it down so that you can make your game both OGL and DX compatible, so the fallback binding on non-DX platforms would be OGL.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #109 - Posted 2006-09-19 20:07:37 »

Ok uj...welcome back Smiley

-Chris

Offline uj

Junior Devvie

« Reply #110 - Posted 2006-09-22 15:43:29 »

Ok uj...welcome back Smiley

-Chris

Thank you. Not to start anything again but I do think I was provoked in #42 (Jeff) and in #83 (zingbat). I think one should have the right to respond forcefully to insinuations like those, but I can also understand you have to prevent a possible flame-war.

I don't write in my first language so when it gets a little heated I tend to overdo things and words come out in a harsher tone than intended. My ultimate goal of course is to one day be able to insult people with such finesse that they don't even realize they've been flamed. Wish me good luck!  Wink
Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Devvie

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #111 - Posted 2006-09-22 16:02:17 »

My ultimate goal of course is to one day be able to insult people with such finesse that they don't even realize they've been flamed. Wish me good luck!  Wink
Its not that easy in english. I don't know your native language, but as for me as german, i can say that such things are much easier than in the english language. Of course the native english speakers might think the same about their language.
Offline uj

Junior Devvie

« Reply #112 - Posted 2006-10-04 20:24:09 »

Well I think I deserve a reply from the moderators.

Why was exactly I punished?

I've spent some considerable time in this thread. I've replied carefully to anyone opposing my view. The only time I reacted negatively was

1. when I was called a troll, and
2. when someone said I was consistently contradicting myself.

In both cases I asked for confirmation but didn't get any.

Is this material enougth to expel someone from this forum? I don't think so and I think it's something else behind.

I think the moderators of this forum are bought by Sun. They cannot go against Sun employes and they cannot go against the view of Sun. It's a shame really.
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #113 - Posted 2006-10-04 21:00:16 »

Oh come on, there were some kind words to you from members after your suspension, so why do you come up with this? Don't you see a peace-offering when you have one right on your monitor?

I personally found the suspension a bit hard, but it was clearly not because the moderator was bought by Sun, the reason was a review of your overall attitude in different threads.

And if you are honest, you have to ask yourself, why of all things mostly threads with your participation drifted into flamewars, while other contrary discussions stay on a sensible level.

So welcome back to some nice polite interesting tech/java/game discussions!!! Kiss Grin

Just my 2cents...

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 51

I always win!

« Reply #114 - Posted 2006-10-04 23:48:21 »

Just be glad they unbanned you, there is no freedom of speech here (generally on internet forums). They can ban anyone they want, for any reason. The only thing you can do to keep them from banning you is to be nice and thankful for everything they do Smiley

Personally, I run a active forum system myself (that has about 500 members), and the only rule I have is; Do not be rude.   And I've found that flame-threads can go on with no problem if everyone keep their cool and don't use foul language. And trust me, moderators/admins don't ban users unless there is a valid reason.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #115 - Posted 2006-10-05 02:08:47 »

Well I think I deserve a reply from the moderators.

Why was exactly I punished?

I've spent some considerable time in this thread. I've replied carefully to anyone opposing my view. The only time I reacted negatively was

1. when I was called a troll, and
2. when someone said I was consistently contradicting myself.

In both cases I asked for confirmation but didn't get any.

Is this material enougth to expel someone from this forum? I don't think so and I think it's something else behind.

I think the moderators of this forum are bought by Sun. They cannot go against Sun employes and they cannot go against the view of Sun. It's a shame really.

You wanted a reply, ok.  You were suspended because of your constant provocation.  Asking someone for a reply to a post is one thing.  Doing so several times over, while insulting them is another.  I already posted some of these earlier in the thread.  And this is not the first time we have gone through this uj.  You have been part of other threads with the same behavior.

Now, while some of us work for Sun, anyone here who knows us knows that we do what is in the best interest of this community, first and foremost.  Nothing else was behind the ban other than to stop your baiting.  Also, you will notice, I complimented you earlier in this thread and do recognize your questions that provoke good discussion.  Again nothing personal, no agenda.

And to point a finer point on it, you were not expeled from the forum, just suspended.  Big difference.  Again, welcome back.

-Chris

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

trollwarrior1 (29 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (71 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (50 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (44 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (38 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (62 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (67 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (80 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (80 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org