Aviaitrix3D 2.0 Beta 1 is ready for public consumption. http://aviatrix3d.j3d.org/
Highlights of the new codebase
- Native SWT and Eclipse plugin support
- Support for compositing and viewport control
- Multipass rendering, as well as acces to all the OpenGL buffer types, allowing for all traditional rendering techniques
to be performed (eg volumetric shadows are now relativel trivial to implement and use
- Moved to the JSR 231 APIs
- A collection of optimisations that result in a typical 20-30% better framerate for the same content
The new codebase is not backwards compatible, unfortunately due to many factors. We've already extensively tested it using Xj3D, so we're pretty happy with how stable it is right now. The only missing big feature is that the OpenAL support for audio is temporarily disabled due to it tending to lock up the application when you attempt to close down JOAL.
There's a collection of tutorials for the new APIs as well as listing of the details of changes on the Aviatrix3D website.