Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Misadventures of MADS Somewhere in Time - platform game  (Read 2752 times)
Offline bwbrooklyn

Projects: 2

Hmm. I just thought of something...

« Posted 2006-04-27 03:00:19 »

I posted an early version of this game about a year ago. It only had a couple levels back then and the graphics were pretty simple. My brother re-released his book that the game is (very) loosely based on so we decided to re-release the game. We updated the graphics and brought it up to 5 levels. Other than that it's really a pretty simple game. You guide the Professors time machine back in time and bonk dinosaurs while picking up coins. It's goofy, simple fun. There's a time bonus and bonuses for picking up all the coins and whacking all the dinosaurs.

It's about 70% Brackeen's code from his book Developing Games in Java. I added some for extra lives, scoring and a few other simple bits. We probably won't do much more with this game because we've already started work on the next game based on the second MADS book - Live from Atlantis. That game is much more customized. We shrunk the tile size down to 32x32 pixel (from 64x64) and may even go further. We are replacing the midi music with wav, aiff and it will not be as linear. You can have multiple doors going to multiple levels and even come back to a level. I hope to have a preview posted in about a month.

But back to the game at hand. There is a webstart version and a single, downloadable jar version. I haven't tested much on Windows and Linux so will be happy to hear feedback regarding those platforms.

The url is www.themisadventuresofmads.com/madsapp/sampleGame.jsp

There's a feedback email link on the page.

Here's a screen shot

The Misadventures of M.A.D.S.
http://www.themisadventuresofmads.com
Offline bwbrooklyn

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-04-30 02:41:22 »

Just added a small update. I replaced the lame dinosaur graphics with actual animations. Also finally got around to gettting it to work on javagamesfactory.org.

Offline nva225

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-04-30 03:26:31 »

Hmm game seems to run slow for me. Specifically around the first level where you approach the first two "pillars" (the ground), where it goes about 60% of the normal speed, and pretty much anywhere around the 3rd level (I only was in the first area before I quit; section with the scorpion blocks and such) it drops to about 5 fps.

2 ghz Pentium 4
1 gig ram @ 266 mhz
6600 gt video card
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline bwbrooklyn

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-04-30 12:27:32 »

Wow. Hmm. Maybe I introduced something with the new animations. I'll have to check on my PC at work which is half your specs. It used to fly on my 1/2 gig Thinkpad. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline bwbrooklyn

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-04-30 12:48:58 »

Adding in the animations definitely brought the performance down. I'm seeing the slow down on my system as well. I just didnt test into the level far enough to see it. I'll work on things a bit. Thanks.

Offline bwbrooklyn

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-04-30 14:57:08 »

I cleaned up some things that I think helped but I notice the biggest slow down occurs when there are lots of coins on the screen. I added an FPS counter and it drops to about 15 with a lot of coins but goes up to around 30 at other times. At least on my g4 Mac. I won't spend much more time trying to optimize this because I'm going to be concentrating on Live from Atlantis. I should have an alpha posted in a couple weeks.

Toggle fps display with the f key. You can also pause now with the p key.

Offline Jamison

We're all idiots in one way or another.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-05-08 21:51:36 »

I'd give you some feedback but unfortunetly, my monitor doesn't go up to 1024x768 (only 800x600, and no further).

I don't like you. Check out my site Smiley www.gamedevforums.com
Offline woogley
« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-05-08 22:18:42 »

I'd give you some feedback but unfortunetly, my monitor doesn't go up to 1024x768 (only 800x600, and no further).

how old is your monitor? if your monitor isnt like 4 years old, you might wanna check if your video driver is installed correctly o_O
Offline Jamison

We're all idiots in one way or another.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-05-09 01:04:23 »

Ha! You think 4 years is a lot? It's more like 8 to 10 years old, tops. It's a MAGNAVOX Super VGA.

I don't like you. Check out my site Smiley www.gamedevforums.com
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print