games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Tutorials?  (Read 1515 times)
Offline Sequalit

« Posted 2006-04-13 02:26:58 »

I was wondering if there is a website out there that has, not tutorials because those are too vague, but free classes with java that will take you through the components of using jpanel and jframe and how all of those interact, along with how abstract classes worka nd what implement means and stuff like that, cause i dont understand most of that stuff, i just see it and go, okay dontk now how this does this but it does... lol.

while(gettingTired())
     crankOutMoreCode();
     if(asleep()){
          wakeUp();
          makeCoffee();
          chugCoffee();
     }
}

-Sequalit
Offline Kova

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-04-13 11:32:08 »

I was wondering if there is a website out there that has, not tutorials because those are too vague, but free classes with java that will take you through the components of using jpanel and jframe and how all of those interact, along with how abstract classes worka nd what implement means and stuff like that, cause i dont understand most of that stuff, i just see it and go,

you want to look at code and simply learn just from that? No explanation or anything?  Roll Eyes Undecided  You won't learn anything like that... use tutorials and books.

okay dontk now how this does this but it does... lol.

huh?  Grin
Offline woogley
« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-04-13 15:35:55 »

I guess he's saying he doesn't care HOW it works as long as it DOES work. Would've been a good cast in 'The Matrix' .. Tongue
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-04-13 17:31:16 »

Hehe you work like me... don't waste my time, show me something I can poke at.

http://www.gamelizard.com/JavaGameProgrammingPresentation.htm

There's something I made a while back.  The top of the page has a link to source for an abstract Applet game and JFrame game, and 2 games written using those classes.  I hope that helps you!

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Sequalit

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-04-13 22:45:36 »

that last one was some help, i found out what i was wanting to know

Interfaces are classes that if another class implements it it has to use all of the interfaces methods
and an Abstract class is a class that doesnt have to be instansiated to use, or same with the methods in a class...

What i ment by tutorials, is that i dont quite understand JFrame and JPanel that well, i mean i know how to instantiate them and create a game using them, but i dont relaly understand how they relaly work with each other, and thats what i was wondering.

while(gettingTired())
     crankOutMoreCode();
     if(asleep()){
          wakeUp();
          makeCoffee();
          chugCoffee();
     }
}

-Sequalit
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-04-14 00:52:03 »

you want to look at code and simply learn just from that? No explanation or anything?  Roll Eyes Undecided  You won't learn anything like that... use tutorials and books.
everyone learns differendly, sure this poking and trial/error might have it's pitfalls but as with any practice. who are me or you to claim methode x is the best?

Interfaces are classes that if another class implements it it has to use all of the interfaces methods
and an Abstract class is a class that doesnt have to be instansiated to use, or same with the methods in a class...

What i ment by tutorials, is that i dont quite understand JFrame and JPanel that well, i mean i know how to instantiate them and create a game using them, but i dont relaly understand how they relaly work with each other, and thats what i was wondering.

Interfaces are abstract classes of which all methodes are abstract. because it of it's additional constrains over abstract classes interfaces support can support multiply inheritance.

An abstract class is a class which is demoted /decorated with the abstract keyword. Abstract classes can not be instanciated and can declare 1 or more abstract methodes.

classes that derive from abstract classes must implent all abstract methodes of the parent classes(unless already implentented in an other parent class) or the derived class itself must be declared as abstract/ become an abstract class.

the reason you probebly wont find tourials about it is because its considered trival/ common knowlage. however if you would want to look up information try going trought a few wiki's.

as for JFrame JWindow JDialog and JPanel. JPanel's are JComponents and can be add to a container. JFrame JDialog and  JWindow use peers (http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=11353) and are thus heavywaight in the respct that they use peers

JComponents are lightweight. they don't use peers and depend on there plaf to give them a native look.. or not.

laying out JComponents is done by a layout manager etc and more can be found in the java tourial.

anyways I supect this has to do with a game since your postign on java-gaming.org and not forum x, what is the question with respect to gaming?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-04-15 01:14:37 »

No. Interfaces are Interfaces.  Classes are Classes.  Try to declare a Class that 'extends' an Interface or one that 'implements' a class and you will see the difference.

Wrong again.  An abstract class is a partial class that CANNOT be instanced. It can only be extended.

I thin kyou need to slow down and get a decent beginner's book on Java.  I would suggest "Head First Java" as a decent one.

Attempting to guess at the meanign of things based on a small number of individual data points, as any scientist can tell you, will bite you in the arse.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 9

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-04-15 01:22:15 »

I know you didn't say tutorial, but did you go to:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Go down the list. Start with "Getting Started".

Offline Sequalit

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-04-15 02:39:42 »

thanks for your help everyone... i was just wondering because i went through a space invaders tut by kev and didnt quite understand all the concepts... ive only had a year and a half of shcooling, and the teachers never tought us any graphic stuff... and the rest is poorly self taught lol...

thanks for the help guys =D

while(gettingTired())
     crankOutMoreCode();
     if(asleep()){
          wakeUp();
          makeCoffee();
          chugCoffee();
     }
}

-Sequalit
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (75 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (80 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (65 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (81 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (105 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (165 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (261 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (210 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (220 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org