Games in Android Showcase (120)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  HttpUrlConnection not connecting  (Read 1960 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Posted 2006-04-12 09:16:03 »

Confirmed by packet-sniffing, the following code is *not even opening a TCP/IP connecting*:
URL submitScoreURL = new URL( "
http://192.168.1.119/incoming/scores"
);

connection = (HttpURLConnection) submitScoreURL.openConnection();
   connection.setDoOutput(true);
   connection.setRequestMethod( "POST" ); // has no effect if you remove this line

System.out.println( "Sending score = "+score+" to remote host on connection = "+connection );
   XMLEncoder encoder = new XMLEncoder( connection.getOutputStream() );
   encoder.writeObject( score );
   encoder.flush(); // has no effect if you remove this line
   encoder.close();
   connection.getOutputStream().flush(); // has no effect if you remove this line

System.out.println( "...sent" );

I ... don't understand Sad. Surely there's some stupid mistake I'm making here? Smiley

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline c_lilian

Senior Duke

Projects: 1

Java games will probably rock someday...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:20:34 »

I usually have this line in my post methods :

urlConn.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");

Borrowed from I don't remember where, a long time ago...

Lilian Smiley

Offline Kova

Senior Duke

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:37:52 »

also, firewall?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:40:18 »

also, firewall?

I dont use those silly personal-machine firewalls (partly because they make network development far too difficult Sad ), so the fact that no TCP/IP packets are generated mean its not a firewall problem Smiley.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:42:34 »

I think that you must read from the input stream, packet will only be sent when you will start reading inputstream.

EDIT: I mean you cannot only do an output because java HttpURLConnection will not sent output data since you try to read returned values, dont know why bugged implementation maybe.

ps: I am not sure that is true for all JVM

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:47:54 »

I seem to have found the problem. At least, I made a tiny change and now it works, but the change is so retarded I find it really hard to believe that was actually the problem Smiley.

It seems that until you call:

(HttpURLConnection).getInputStream()

the class WILL NOT OPEN A CONNECTION NOR SEND ANY DATA.

So ... all calls to e.g. flush() are completely ineffective until you open that inputstream. You may know that ther server is going to send no data in response to the post - but that tdoesn't matter - you *have* to open the stream anyway.

This seems to me personally to be quite retarded, but ... I merely added the call to getInputStream and suddenly it all started working Sad.

NB: first thing I did was check the javadocs, and AFAICS none of this is documented. Current documentation (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/URLConnection.html et al) on java.sun.com doesn't explain *at all* what the setDoOutput() method etc does, nor does it mention the absolute requirement for getInputStream to be called Sad.

mutter mutter grumble frickin blocking-I/O programmers who don't understand asynchronous I/O programming mutter grumble

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-04-12 09:49:52 »

I think that you must read from the input stream, packet will only be sent when you will start reading inputstream.

EDIT: I mean you cannot only do an output because java HttpURLConnection will not sent output data since you try to read returned values, dont know why bugged implementation maybe.

ps: I am not sure that is true for all JVM

Thanks! Glad to know it's not just me that has experienced this Smiley.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-04-12 12:50:41 »

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't the HTTP protocol define a standard response to an HTTP request?  Would there normally be at least an acknowledgment that the request was processed?

I agree that the implementation here seems rather dumb, but the HTTP/1.1 specification does state clearly in Section 6, "After receiving and interpreting a request message, a server responds with an HTTP response message." ...  I don't see where it says a response is optional, so the assumption that a response will be read is only half-stupid Smiley

At the very least you should be getting back a "200" status response indicating that the request was "OK"

Offline DzzD
« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-04-12 13:11:23 »

HTTP protocol just say "there will be a response" and not "you must read it".

I cannot find any good reasons to wait that user read before sending data.

Annoyed by HttpURLConnection on a project a cupple of month ago, I had to make my own  Sad because I was needing that data be sent as fast as possible.

I am not sure but I think the actual implementation of HttpURLConnection have also trouble with header Connection set to Keep-Alive (at least it had when I tried) wich can allow cool things :  you may send in one thread while reading in another and so maintain an upload and a download channel open to an Http server.

Offline woogley
« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-04-12 14:00:16 »

I am not sure but I think the actual implementation of HttpURLConnection have also trouble with header Connection set to Keep-Alive

The Keep-Alive isn't neccessarily HttpURLConnection's fault. BOTH servers need to be sending the header "Connection: Keep-Alive" header in order for the connection to stay open (plus they have to actually keep it open). not all servers want to do this. A quick telnet example shows:

---------------------------------
c:\>telnet google.com 80
GET /search?q=java-gaming.org HTTP/1.0
Connection: Keep-Alive <-- I sent a Keep-Alive header

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/html
Set-Cookie: PREF=ID=1c8706f74edaa54f:TM=1144849891:LM=1144849891:S=5Mppdm-jbZlyK
kgj; expires=Sun, 17-Jan-2038 19:14:07 GMT; path=/; domain=.google.com
Server: GWS/2.1
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:51:31 GMT
Connection: Close <-- google doesn't want to keep it open
---------------------------------

the Connection header is borderline useless since HTTP 1.1 anyway. take a look at http://www.io.com/~maus/HttpKeepAlive.html for more information

back on topic now ... generally, when it comes to doing HTTP work like this - especially with POST requests - it's best to write your own class. The HTTP protocol is amazingly simple and isn't worth going crazy over random errors like this. When I manually send headers through my own class, I never have to open any input stream first..
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-04-12 14:32:07 »

... BOTH servers need to be sending the header "Connection: Keep-Alive" header in order for the connection to stay open ..

keepalive is a 1.1 feature and of course I was talking about HTTP 1.1 server not 1.0, also I had control over the server and so keep alive was allowed.

GET /search?q=java-gaming.org HTTP/1.0

you are sendind a 1.0 request  Wink not a 1.1

yes, it is quite simple to implement the http 1.0 protocol and it will works in most of case, it is harder to implement the 1.1 especially new features as chunk, keep-alive...

to perform a simple GET just open a socket on the remote server using the http port and send a string like the following:

GET /index.html HTTP/1.0 \n                                            //\n == End of method line
\n\n                                                                                        //\n\n == End of headers

for 1.1 you will have at least to provide the header host to make the request valid, like that if your server is www.mysite.com

GET /index.html HTTP/1.1 \n                                            //\n == End of method line
host: www.mysite.com\n
\n\n                                                                                        //\n\n == End of headers

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-04-12 14:46:16 »

1. Yes, Keep-alive is crapped up in Sun's implementation - you just can't control it.

2. Apache's replacement for HttpUrlConnection has bugs in its keepalive that mean it doesn't work properly

3. If you have to impolement a custom protocol, HTTP is a great one. But if you don't, HTTP is a bitch to implement, it has tonnes of features, especially if you want compatibility with "real" web servers and stuff that I do want like GZIP'd bodies Sad. The spec is over 100 pages long, longer than many programming languages Smiley.

4. Bear in mind that, when used over the internet, HTTP gets mangled left, right, and centre by ISP's. You do *not* want to be debugging your ISP's shitty "clever" HTTP-moulding and caching, implemented by a sysadmin who thought they knew more than they did OR was more interested in saving the ISP money (reducing outgoing packets) than keeping the customers happy. Having been there and done that several times too many, I really dont want to implement my own HTTP client if I can possibly avoid it Smiley.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-04-12 16:19:13 »

all those things depend on your environment : http server local network or internet etc..., and you are right trying to reproduce a whole HTTP client to use over internet may be hard.

...Having been there and done that several times too many, I really dont want to implement my own HTTP client if I can possibly avoid it Smiley.

someone already done that for you

http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org