games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Dl-ed and Build :-)  (Read 6773 times)
Offline shawnkendall

« Posted 2003-06-20 15:04:20 »

I just want to say out loud, that I have downloaded JOGL and successfully built, ran and hacked the existing demos!

Woo-hoo!
:-)

Anyone else yet?

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-06-20 15:10:01 »

You forgot to tell us what OS and build environment. My Solaris binaries are still available at:

http://java.dnsalias.com/jogl-solaris-bin.tar.gz

And JavaDocs can be found at:

http://java.dnsalias.com/jogl

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-06-20 15:10:26 »

Whoa, where did these forums spring from? I've been using the 3d forums breifly for Jogl queiries.

I'm still having problems tinkering with the Animator class and such as per my other post, but the base seems to be pretty solid. now all we need is to smooth off all the rough corners..

Once you've had a bit more time to work with it, i'd be interested in knowing how you'd improve matters. It being an open source project i'm eager to modify it and get a nice clean API for my own purposes..

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-06-20 15:15:48 »

Win2000 and WinXP
Visual Studio 6 and 7, respectively.

Next comes my Linux machine!

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-06-20 15:30:35 »

> Win2000 and WinXP
> Visual Studio 6 and 7, respectively.

Cool! I tried building with VC5, but it couldn't figure out the make files. Sad We REALLY need a Cygwin GCC build. That's what I use for every other piece of Windows software I'm forced to write. You just have to remember the flags that force Windows binaries instead of Cygwin binaries. Smiley

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-06-20 16:32:22 »

I'm waiting for OS X support.

Offline Mamoulian

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-06-20 20:06:40 »

Any news regarding the OS X support? Haven't found anythign so far  Sad
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-06-22 22:13:03 »

an engineer from Apple is working on the port and several Mac programmers seem to be workingon their own porting efforts as well..  From what I have read on Apple's java-dev mailing list there isn't much missing.  I haven't had a chance to look at it closely myself.

Offline ckline

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-06-23 00:25:11 »

We showed Jogl running on MacOS X at JavaOne; unfortunately that version of Jogl only had support for the Cocoa libraries (no AWT) and hence not ready for prime time.

I received email today from Gerard Ziemski, the engineer at Apple working on the Mac version. He has Jogl working with AWT but there's still some issues to be ironed out. Hopefully he'll have something robust available soon.

-chris
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-06-23 05:44:14 »

Gerard is a good guy. He's also the Apple engineer who made a pseudo port of Java3D for GL4Java. Good guy.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Javabear

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-06-23 14:42:44 »

I received email today from Gerard Ziemski, the engineer at Apple working on the Mac version. He has Jogl working with AWT but there's still some issues to be ironed out. Hopefully he'll have something robust available soon.

Now that's great news. I've been kicking around the whole Java3D vs. OpenGL bindings for a bit now, and the only thing that kept me from going with JOGL was the question mark over Mac. Looks like its JOGL for me  Cheesy.
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-06-23 18:40:50 »

I'd say the question mark is about the same for JOGL or Java3D, so I don't think there is a clear choice yet still.

On a side note, a "nearly" compatible minimum set of classes that conform to the Java3D API that use JOGL would still be a useful for several Java3D users (such as myself ) so I am in the process of define the minimum set if anyone else is interested.  The focus here is content loaders, i.e. make enough Java3D API like classes to allow existing loaders to work on JOGL...(Group,BranchGroup,TransformGroup, Shape3D,Geometry and derivitive, Appearance and derivitives etc)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-06-23 21:48:02 »

I'd say the question mark is about the same for JOGL or Java3D, so I don't think there is a clear choice yet still.

Really?  Do you know something we don't?  I have heard nothing that indicates Apple or anyone else is even working on Java3D for the Mac.

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-06-23 23:46:48 »

The rumor mill has grinded out a steady "developer so-and-so has a running Java3D version on Mac OSX but can't release because " etc, etc. (see Java3D mailing list as well)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-06-24 02:19:36 »

The problem is that you're looking for Java3D.... do a search for JFree-D. Gerard did a port of java3D (mostly) to OSX a long time ago. It ran on top of GL4Java. I'm sure that one could sit Java3D on top of JOGL or even LWJGL and it would work just fine.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-06-24 12:57:43 »

I actually used JFree-D on SGIs back in the day before a full version of Java3D was available.
I worked pretty good too.
But the author was trying to create a complete open-source (I think it was open, I got a copy of it anyway :-)), API compliaint implementation.

from Gamasutra - "The jFree-D Java 3D implementation is available from Jean-Christophe Taveau. The site includes a link to download his updated version of Jogl "

For Java3D users out there:
What classes do you have to have?
or another way to ask would be:
Which have you never used?
(Perhaps I will move this post if there is any sizable response)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline abies

« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-06-24 13:30:06 »

I'm not sure if reimplementation of java3d is so good idea after all. I'm afraid that amount of work needed to get it working in exactly same way as original (including all quirks and legacy methods dating back in time) is a lot greater than effort needed to reimplement all loaders which are out there - with single exception of Yumtech VRML loader. But they are doing a separate version of opegl anyway, so it is not so important.

IMHO, it would be a lot better to create jogl-based scenegraph _based_ on java3d idea, but without requirement of being binary compatible and then port existing loaders to it.

Artur Biesiadowski
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #17 - Posted 2003-06-24 13:34:54 »

You'll probably find a scenegraph "based" on Java 3D will automatically pick up 90% of the stuff that anyone uses, but even this would be a big undertaking..

I'd also be interested to see what the performance came out like in comparison to the original  Shocked

Kev

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #18 - Posted 2003-06-24 14:40:15 »

I think you guys are missing the point a bit.

The "implementation" is just mostlyt the scene graph container classes itself, i.e. stuff a loader uses to put it's data in.

I am NOT talking about a comparable rendering system as Java3D.  You want to render "J3DLite" then you walk the graph, or you culling the graph, whatever DIY.

In fact, I imagine my being tests will be using Java3D classes but not hooked to a Universe and Canvas3D for rendering, but writing a quick and dirty Java3D non-live scene graph traverser that call JOGL...
The majoy first class is just Shape3D extended to hold a JOGL vertex array that can be rendered with DrawElements.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (10 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (10 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (26 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (10 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (40 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org