Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  WIP FPS-CTF Online 3D Applet  (Read 4366 times)
Offline DzzD
« Posted 2006-03-28 22:32:02 »

Hi,

I am working on a multiplayer fps with 3DzzD to see what is possible to do with the current version

http://dzzd.net/demo/3DzzDAPI02A/indexSmall.htm

if you do not have any problem with the small version you can try a bigger applet size there:

http://dzzd.net/demo/3DzzDAPI02A/

it is intended to becom a "little" commercial game on an online gaming specialized website (at least, I hope that ;-))

screenshots:

if you encounter any bugs please let me know.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-03-28 22:52:42 »

Very impressive for a software renderer!

A tiny thing I notice about the mipmapping: when I get nearer, it sometimes switches to a smaller mipmap.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline g666

Junior Duke

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-03-29 09:41:26 »

Very nice. Im interested to see where this goes. I did find some issues tho:

-Same mipmap issue as Riven
-"juddering" when colliding with buildings, i couldnt go thru the doors.
-some pixels not drawn (screenshot)
-in firefox when i right click on the applet i get a popup menu

desperately seeking sanity
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-03-29 17:01:56 »

thanks for feedbacks

>>-Same mipmap issue as Riven

Could you try to post a screenshot please

>>-some pixels not drawn (screenshot)
Yep, I spent already many times to improve that :-(, will try to correct

>>-in firefox when i right click on the applet i get a popup menu
strange, wich one? could you provide screenshot please

I just release this demo source code (the link to the api download on this demo was not working before) :

http://dzzd.net/demo/3DzzDAPI02A/3DzzD.zip

Offline g666

Junior Duke

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-03-30 10:36:34 »

The mipmap issue:

Offline g666

Junior Duke

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-03-30 10:37:53 »

The menu issue, and another screenshot showing the ground textureing going crazy.

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-03-31 07:09:51 »

The small version works well on my Powerbook A4 which is truely amazing for a software renderer.  If the numbers in the console are frame rate, then it was about 32 to 33.

The MIPmapping is great, although I don't think it is working properly for the ground, unless there isn't much detail there.

The camera control scheme didn't work well with the trackpad on the powerbook.  It current controls angular velocity, while I would prefer control of angular position.  Angular position control works quite well vertically, but not horizontally.  You can see my control 'solution' in the 'Storm The Castle' applet game I wrote last year (search forum for it).

With regard to undrawn pixels, this can occur when the end-points of two adjacent polygons are not concident, e.g. where the floor meets a wall which has a door.  This results in T-junctions.  You probably know this already Wink Adding extra points in the sides of the floor polygons fixes this.  However only found this to be necessary when the precision of the 3D calculations is limited. i.e. when using OpenGL, I found it necessary to remove T-junctions, but my software own renderer worked without bothering.  However it is very very occasionally possible to get undrawn pixels on the zero X & Y axes, which I think is due to precision issues.

My effort doesn't look anywhere as nice as yours though.  When I find time, must implement MIPmapping.  I'm also casting envious eyes at your skybox. So nice.  Your lighting looks superior to mine too.  I managed flat shading, but yours seems to blend more gradually.  Or perhaps that is a function of your shader.  I'm just so impressed considering the framerate.  Are you using octtrees to control draw order or is it as it comes? 

Now you just need to portalise the whole thing, add A* searches, some AI & the jobs a good one.  Smiley

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-03-31 08:17:28 »

The small version works well on my Powerbook A4 which is truely amazing for a software renderer.  If the numbers in the console are frame rate, then it was about 32 to 33.

I have made some improvement ont it, it is now 1.5 times faster, you should now get +45fps :-). the lighting is perpixel and real phong shading(normal interpolation and perspective correct interpolation of the normal 1/z), before I was doing that even on flat poly wich is not necessary, so now renderer is much faster with the same quality.

The MIPmapping is great, although I don't think it is working properly for the ground, unless there isn't much detail there.
Yes this is a part of the engine that gave me some headack because on that sample I use a multitexture for the terrain and the detail texture is 256 times smaller than the lightmap so it is really hard to make it looking perfect everywhere, I am not sure there is a solution without reducing the fps.

The camera control scheme didn't work well with the trackpad on the powerbook.  It current controls angular velocity, while I would prefer control of angular position.  Angular position control works quite well vertically, but not horizontally.  You can see my control 'solution' in the 'Storm The Castle' applet game I wrote last year (search forum for it).

Yes I do that because in unsigned applet (and also java 1.1) I do not find anyway to control mouse (guess it is a browser security issue), If you have the solution It is great!! I will look on it.

With regard to undrawn pixels, this can occur when the end-points of two adjacent polygons are not concident, e.g. where the floor meets a wall which has a door.  This results in T-junctions.  You probably know this already  Adding extra points in the sides of the floor polygons fixes this.  However only found this to be necessary when the precision of the 3D calculations is limited. i.e. when using OpenGL, I found it necessary to remove T-junctions, but my software own renderer worked without bothering.  However it is very very occasionally possible to get undrawn pixels on the zero X & Y axes, which I think is due to precision issues.

The pixel bug does not come from T junction problem, the terrain handle that well, this bug come from the rendering engine itself (precision error) and can appear on any object, on hardware mode (opengl) it should not appear. the next version should not have this bug anymore in software mode.

My effort doesn't look anywhere as nice as yours though.  When I find time, must implement MIPmapping.  I'm also casting envious eyes at your skybox. So nice.

Thanks, it is only a skybox but it can be exported (as terrain) from terragen an used directly in 3DzzD (have a look to the demo source), It is why it look so nice.

Your lighting looks superior to mine too.  I managed flat shading, but yours seems to blend more gradually.  Or perhaps that is a function of your shader.  I'm just so impressed considering the framerate.  Are you using octtrees to control draw order or is it as it comes? 

3DzzD can use some common optimisation as octree, occlusion, clod terran engine, and frame coherence. It also use many algorithm I made for last step of rendering (pixels draw) and also for face removing. I try a quake3 level (25000 faces)  with the last version (not the online version) wich include last optimisations on lighting and it works fine on small size (500*300) on my 1.6 Ghz average 25 fps (20-35).

Lighting is real phong and computed per-pixel (normal is interpolated 1/z and re-normalized), mipmap is also perpixel :-), I spent many times on matcad to find the solution of the equation... wich give texel size relative to pixel size (there was so many parameter to take care of: mapping scale,rendering size, plane equation ....) and it is not still perfect :-(

Now you just need to portalise the whole thing, add A* searches, some AI & the jobs a good one. 

Yep, I hope this game will be lot of fun, and also that the API will be used by most people.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-04-04 10:44:00 »

A fast test of adding animated character and gun, this demo use the last software renderer optimisation explained above

http://dzzd.net/demo/3DzzDAPI03A/indexSmall.htm

and larger one:

http://dzzd.net/demo/3DzzDAPI03A/

Offline DzzD
« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-04-10 20:26:26 »

add some trees and animate the gun, ( also network is just started  Smiley ),

- in the current API the occlusion test is disabled, I have commented it before I compil last API release, so you may expect a few more fps in software mode for futur versions.

- also previous feedbacks report that sometimes there is a bad FPS even on 2ghz computer, I am currently looking for a solution to fix that bug.

http://dzzd.net/demo/FPSDEMO01/indexSmall.htm

and larger one:

http://dzzd.net/demo/FPSDEMO01/

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-04-12 18:47:00 »

first network attempt give good results  Smiley

unfortunatly I have no control over the final server and cannot show demo for now  over internet Sad

also I found that Poin4D is very helpfull for network.

Offline g666

Junior Duke

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-04-20 16:09:44 »

That guy needs a face Grin

Offline DzzD
« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-04-21 08:06:53 »

give me a picture and I will update his face  Wink

maybe the final version will give user the ability to upload their own, but there is still so much works and polish to do before  Sad

EDIT: feel free to send to me good low poly model  Smiley

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-04-29 04:22:43 »

Wow that is really amazing!  And it runs from just an applet!

Offline DzzD
« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-05-04 19:25:09 »

That guy needs a face Grin

I took a face on internet, you was right it is looking much better ;-)

also I have almost finished player networks synchro for displacement and player action, this screenshot is a running multiplayer try over internet, unfortunatly I have not yet a server to show you demo, hope that will possible soon

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-05-06 15:57:28 »

It's a truly amazing software renderer, but the controls really suck: They make me feel like a drunk fool running around with a gun.   Roll Eyes
I expect movement to stop when I stop the mouse, just like in every other FPS.
Nevertheless, for the rest it's all very impressive.

Offline ben

Junior Duke

Projects: 1

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-05-10 11:56:33 »

This looks awesome  Smiley The larger screen version runs very smoothly on my system, I look forward to seeing how this develops, particularly if you can get a multiplayer demo running.

It's a valid point that other have made about the mouselook controls. I do understand how difficult (impossible?) it is to get proper mouselook working within an applet, so much so that I have so far just stuck to keyboard controls with my stuff. However, after playing with your demo for a while, I fount myself  getting more and more used to your mouselook solution.

Nice work!

Ben.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-05-15 19:15:01 »

thanks everybody

This looks awesome   The larger screen version runs very smoothly on my system, I look forward to seeing how this develops, particularly if you can get a multiplayer demo running.

be sure i am also looking forward for showing everybody the first network demo.

It's a valid point that other have made about the mouselook controls. I do understand how difficult (impossible?) it is to get proper mouselook working within an applet, so much so that I have so far just stuck to keyboard controls with my stuff. However, after playing with your demo for a while, I fount myself  getting more and more used to your mouselook solution.

yep as you have guess it is impossible without signed applet, also as you notice when you use it for a while you become more and more familiar with this kind of control, it is just a different approch than other fps , but it is not so hard it only requiere some experience Wink and then it become natural to control this way.

last news:
- we have made some test with hardware rendered, it works well and enable bigger (even fullscreen play) with a great smoothness,but this renderer still need some minor fix.
- GUI is started

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (39 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (31 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (28 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (57 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (58 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (48 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (78 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org