Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Xith WEB Site - Joomla! powered  (Read 7753 times)
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-04-17 16:20:27 »

Added. Thanks Will.

What do you mean by "distant images"?

Ah excuse me, in french you can say "image distante" or "image locale", that's why. It simply means that I insert images that comes from other sites, instead of uploading them. It's cheaper in disk space, but not safe at all, cause they can be removed anytime.

[...]
Is it possible to get the URLs looking better?
http://xith.org/Docs  is a bit nicer than
http://xith.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=28

And google treats the former better as well.
I'm afraid it's not possible. Joomla! is a CMS and it manage content automatically, I think I can't change the name of the pages. What I can do, however, is making redirections from http://magicspark.org.free.fr/xith/Docs to the right page.
[...]
Would be odd if it wouldnt support clean urls. Its one of those default features a CMS must have.

After googling around a bit... (geez that joomla page is certainly annoying to navigate)... looks like you need some extra module for that (not in core... duh) and its called "404_sef".

By the way, oNyx, did you take a look at the HOWTOS : http://www.xith.org/docs/howtos/  Grin Grin (Just a manner to say I installed it). That's much nicer that way.
BUT if the Joomla guys don't include it by default, for sure they have a reason ! And one of them is : it's Apache or IIS specific, you need special configuration in each case : very quick to do, but surely annoying for an automatic installer. Anyway I'm not  PHP guy, and a pretty noob in web-thingies (out of CMSes).

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-04-22 14:19:08 »

Added. Thanks Will.

What do you mean by "distant images"?

Ah excuse me, in french you can say "image distante" or "image locale", that's why. It simply means that I insert images that comes from other sites, instead of uploading them. It's cheaper in disk space, but not safe at all, cause they can be removed anytime.

ah that makes sense now

[...]
Is it possible to get the URLs looking better?
http://xith.org/Docs  is a bit nicer than
http://xith.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=28

And google treats the former better as well.
I'm afraid it's not possible. Joomla! is a CMS and it manage content automatically, I think I can't change the name of the pages. What I can do, however, is making redirections from http://magicspark.org.free.fr/xith/Docs to the right page.
[...]
Would be odd if it wouldnt support clean urls. Its one of those default features a CMS must have.

After googling around a bit... (geez that joomla page is certainly annoying to navigate)... looks like you need some extra module for that (not in core... duh) and its called "404_sef".

By the way, oNyx, did you take a look at the HOWTOS : http://www.xith.org/docs/howtos/  Grin Grin (Just a manner to say I installed it). That's much nicer that way.
BUT if the Joomla guys don't include it by default, for sure they have a reason ! And one of them is : it's Apache or IIS specific, you need special configuration in each case : very quick to do, but surely annoying for an automatic installer. Anyway I'm not  PHP guy, and a pretty noob in web-thingies (out of CMSes).

Nice one - that's a lot better, thanks Smiley

Will.

Offline arne

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #32 - Posted 2006-04-23 13:35:54 »

mmh why does that Login Form thingi only show at the Intro page?
And why does it say
 Hi, 0
when I'm logged in? (no my user name is not 0, it's arne Wink )

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #33 - Posted 2006-04-23 16:41:43 »

with the mod_rewrite stuff, is it possible to remove the duplicate "pages" in  http://www.xith.org/pages/pages/credits.html ?

Cheers,

Will.

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #34 - Posted 2006-04-24 14:50:08 »

mmh why does that Login Form thingi only show at the Intro page?
And why does it say
 Hi, 0
when I'm logged in? (no my user name is not 0, it's arne Wink )
It appears only on the Intro page because I told it to ^^ But I can make it appear on all pages if you want. OK that's done.
And about your name is 0 that's not my fault ^^ No I'm joking I don't know why it appeared like that, but it's now fixed. At least it tells me
 Hi, admin
And that's just right for me ^^ (And for my ego).
with the mod_rewrite stuff, is it possible to remove the duplicate "pages" in  http://www.xith.org/pages/pages/credits.html ?

Cheers,

Will.
Yes it is. In fact it's duplicated cause the structure is like that :
- Category "Pages"
  |- Section "Pages"
    |- Article "Credits"
Some articles are like that :
- Category "Documentation"
  |- Section "HOWTOs"
    |- Article "How to load an MD2 file"
But it's now fixed. And your link is no longer valid ^^ It's now http://www.xith.org/pages/credits.html

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #35 - Posted 2006-04-24 14:51:50 »

Oh, and BTW Arne, I made of you a "Publisher". It means you can now write new articles and/or edit existing ones.

Offline arne

« Reply #36 - Posted 2006-04-24 16:33:47 »

nice Smiley - but If I go to HOWTOs I get this error message at the bottom of the page and the page doesn't show correctly:
Fatal error: [] operator not supported for strings in /home/xith/public_html/components/com_sef/sef_ext/com_content.php on line 11

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-04-24 21:52:48 »

That are kinds of problems we have since I have enabled the 404 SEF module, BUT they appear only once. (more precisely once after a configuration change, which I did recently).

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-04-25 04:56:04 »

looking good, thanks Smiley

Cheers,
Will.

Offline arne

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-04-25 16:04:26 »

mmh I still get that error when showing the HOWTOs
but I don't get it, if I'm not logged in.

strange...

also the font size of the line numbers in the source-code view is different then the font sizes of the code itself.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-04-25 16:09:33 »

mmh I still get that error when showing the HOWTOs
but I don't get it, if I'm not logged in.

strange...

also the font size of the line numbers in the source-code view is different then the font sizes of the code itself.
Arne, I beg you pardon for not having carefully read your messages  Undecided This SEF thingy is really a pain in the ass.
I was lurking around on Xith web site, fixing a handfull of mistakes of mine, and I saw you were online. Then I double-checked the HOWTO page wasn't broken. And I figured it was. After a bit of investigation, I found the following on Joomla! forums :

If you have read any of my guides (free download in Docman library), then you will have seen I have discussed, integrating Search Engine Friendly URLs (or SEF) into Joomla websites. It bascially takes the “index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=39″ and turns it into something like “/content/view/1/2/ “.

Now, as I have been discovering on my site, there are some crucial considerations you need to think about before changing to Joomla SEF.

* First, a myth, enabling SEF in Joomla will not make your site easier to index by search engines. Perhaps 2 years ago search engines struggled to read dynamic URL’s, but now, that is not a problem.
    * Where they do help is humans. Obviously a link like the first one above is hard to read. So really SEF should be re-named HUF, HUman Friendly URL’s!

OK, but a few months ago I did want SEF on my Joomla website, so I took the plunge. Here is a round up of what I looked at:

* Joomla SEF (built in)
      Free, its already in your Joomla installation
    * Open SEF (www.open-sef.org)
      Free and open source
    * 404_SEF (www.joomlastuff.org/404sef.html)
      Free and Open Source
    * SEF Advance
      Commercial Product ($50)

I have tried all of these. Here is what happened. First I activated Joomla built in SEF. Sometimes this causes problems right away as there can be issues in the .htaccess file and SEF. Also, it doesn’t work easily on windows servers. The Joomla forums has a FAQ: Search Engine Friendly URLs (SEF)in Joomla. So I got that working. This step you must always do, get the built in SEF working and THEN install a 3rd party one.

So that takes me to my next issue. All of these 3rd party SEF have the same problems:

* They are not 100% reliable. Installing them can break your site, and not all components work with them. For example, this WordPress blog component does not work with the SEF I am using. So I had to hack a fix, the result of which breaks RSS (sorry).
    * They all produce different URL’s. This one can kill you. You install one of the SEF’s in Joomla. A few months later you discovered a component that is critical for you doesn’t work with it. So you consider changing. But now all the links to the pages on your site will be different! This will destroy your careful SEO campaign.
    * They don’t work with many 3rd party components. Enough said.

I experienced all of these. I started with 404, couldn’t get it to work, changed to Open SEF, that was still unstable, and now use Advance, which doesn’t work with this blog. Each time all my links from other sites were pointing to the wrong place. Sometimes I wish I had just stayed with the default Joomla SEF that is built in!

So what do to? If you are thinking of using SEF, especially a 3rd party one make a test installation with all of the components you will want to use and test each one. I wish I had Smiley , but you can learn from my mistakes.

So I said to myself "ok let's disable this SEF thingy before it mess up all the website". And I looked at OpenSEF anyway (I just love things with "Open" within ^^) and I installed it and now it WORKS ! Phheww I thought we'd never get out of that.

If you experience any further problems, please tell me. Some links are broken I'm actually fixing them.

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-04-25 16:11:27 »

I added the "Who's Online" module.
There are no longer strange array-thingies on the website, thanks to OpenSEF.

Offline arne

« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-04-25 20:20:27 »

Damn it! I just spend over one hour writing that picking HOWTO and what does it do, when I want to save it?
It logs me off and discards all I've typed!!!!!!!! grrr...

BTW.. what's the difference between the save and the apply button?

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-04-26 16:00:52 »

Damn it! I just spend over one hour writing that picking HOWTO and what does it do, when I want to save it?
It logs me off and discards all I've typed!!!!!!!! grrr...

BTW.. what's the difference between the save and the apply button?
Oh, really bad, I'm so sorry. It must be that it log off automatically after ~an hour to avoid security problems..

The apply button commit changes and stay on the edit page. The save button commit changes and return to the view page.

So the best is to click the apply button several times during editing.. And to copy/paste your text before saving.. That really sucks I agree, I'll see if I can do anything to avoid that.

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-04-26 16:06:40 »

Fixed. The duration of a session was of about 900 seconds without activity (for security reasons). This correspond to a quarter of hour. I set it to 15000 which gives you 4 hours. It's a security risk I take here, but I know it's REALLY annoying to lose all your work.

Offline arne

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-04-26 17:12:40 »

good - thanks Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (26 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (25 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (19 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (22 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (51 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (46 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (37 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (40 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (56 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (55 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org