Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (592)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  And the winner is ...  (Read 26810 times)
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-03-13 19:44:28 »

Cheesy Noooh. I ended up at #36 with Jyruss4k, which is kinda nice for something i decided 'just to have a go at' Smiley

Are you kidding me? That game rocks! You did some really great work there, even if it was a smidge jerky on a few people's machines. I hope we see you enter again next year! Smiley

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline hclower

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-03-13 19:51:56 »

Well, my game honestly ended up pretty much where I expected it to; I'd hoped to put together another few entries but didn't quite have the time.

Regardless, congratulations to the winners!

- HC
Offline cajurabi

Junior Newbie

« Reply #32 - Posted 2006-03-13 20:12:38 »

Oh well can't win them all.  I really thought SpyHunter4k would have rated higher than it did.  Of course, Dave and I approached it from the wrong viewpoint--how much can we squeeze into 4k.  We were trying to be as close to the arcade version as we could, same screen size, same sprites and didn't focus on playability at all.  It wasn't until after we sumbitted that we realized that if we had quatered the graphics we could have added more of the original game play. 

In creating the game we came up with three new techniques of byte saving that none of the other games use.  For that alone we are proud of what we submitted. 

I just wish more people would have recognized the technical achievements for what they were. 

Hopefully next year we can break into the top 10. 

It was lots of fun guys!  Congrats to the winners!

chris
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

« Reply #33 - Posted 2006-03-13 20:59:47 »

In creating the game we came up with three new techniques of byte saving that none of the other games use.  For that alone we are proud of what we submitted. 

I just wish more people would have recognized the technical achievements for what they were. 

I have to say, if there's one take-away lesson I've gotten from the 4K competition over the years, it's this: It's not about the technology.

The technology is merely a means to an end. If it helps you make a better game, then it's worth investing in. However, if your game becomes nothing more than the technology, it will fail.

The reason why I find this to be such an important lesson, is that it also holds true in the commercial game market. There are tons of games that use technologically impressive engines. Yet, unless they back it up with a complete game that jumps out and grabs you for hours at a time, they will fail to make inroads into the market. Just look at some of the all-time classic games for an example of this. Street Fighter can't hold a candle to Soul Caliber's technology, but which game do you think players remember more fondly? If you place Kameo: Elements of Power and Super Mario Bros. in front of someone, how many will chose to play Super Mario Bros.?

When it comes down to it, it's just so amazingly important to realize how little the technology actually matters to how people perceive a game. It may be frustrating to us technologists, but it's just the nature of the beast. Not all is lost, though. Feel free to discuss your improvements that made SpyHunter4K possible. I think you'll find that accolades from your fellow programmers are some of the highest honors you can get for your technological solutions. Smiley

EDIT: BTW, aren't there a few games missing from the final lineup? I could have sworn that there was a 3D Poker Game in the competition.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 832
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #34 - Posted 2006-03-13 21:15:28 »

Yup, Poker4k was mine, and was Java 1.5, so I didn't even submit it as it would be disqualified anyway.

Without System.nanoTime() the animation was very jerky so I'll probably wait for next year, and stuff a whole lot of gameplay in Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline hclower

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

« Reply #35 - Posted 2006-03-13 21:36:31 »

By the way- Woogley, you said in the Judging thread that there were a number of 'techie' judges and a number of 'pure gamer' judges. Out of curiosity, who was who?

- HC
Offline woogley
« Reply #36 - Posted 2006-03-13 22:17:00 »

peggy - gamer
shelton - gamer
tim - gamer
borkert - gamer/tech
malokhan - tech
kingaschi - tech
nonnus29 - tech
Offline f.l.x

Senior Devvie

Projects: 3

there is no place like 127.0.0.1

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-03-13 23:22:47 »

wow! Congratulations to Markus, Kev and Woogley, i was sure that miners4k would be the winner this time Wink congrats

This edition has been great, both imagination and tech used has been awesome and i'm sure that next year's competition will be even better  Grin

Thanks to all the judges, a 7th place is far more than i have expected for my game, thanks  Grin

Litterarum radices amaras, fructus dulces
http://flx.proyectoanonimo.com
figth spam!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-03-14 00:31:27 »

Interesting results!

I noticed that the bulk of the games ended up very near a score of 80...  with very little difference in the scores.

I placed about were I figured by rank, better than I expected by score out of 100 though.

The judges comments are very interesting, really shows the differences in taste.  I am honestly quite surprized that my Kung Fu game score lower than my Bungie Bill game.  I thought the kung fu game was way more playable and having single and two player modes might have given it an extra point or two.  Just wish I had the time to fill up those extra bytes.  Blocking and high/low hits were planned but I just didn't have the time to deal with it.  And yes, my sctick figure graphics were even bad for stick figures Smiley

Overall I think my games got a fair rating, but next time I see a game review with a score of 8 out of 10 I know that the game is 'average' at best Smiley

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-03-14 07:12:02 »

I really enjoyed this competition.  I agree with jbanes, the gameplay is more important than the tech (I spent too many bytes on tech and not enough on gameplay methinks).

I noticed that different judges gave different spreads in their scoring.  Some folks seldom (if ever) gave a score below 60, while others gave scores over the full range available.  This does tend to increase the score weighting of judges who use the whole range available (as was seen in the cases with a close to zero score).  Perhaps next year, we could have a scoring guide for judges, to try to make the scoring spread more consistant.  Or maybe just rate the games in order (a bit like the Eurovision song contest).  Or perhaps, continue as now, but normalise each judges scores (takes some maths) before summing them up.  What do people think?  Maybe we could work out a generic scoring system in advance of the next competition.

Finally, I'd like to thank all the judges.  I really appreciated some of the detailed comments on my entries.  Hopefully these will help me make better entries next year Smiley

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 51
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-03-14 07:54:42 »

Good, fun, fair and deservable results Smiley GG to all the games.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline mlk

Junior Devvie

Muppet!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-03-14 11:25:21 »

A great year, good job woogley !

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-03-14 17:50:52 »

must say the comp was very good this year and very enjoyable, well done to all the entrants.
Offline DonaldEKnuth

Junior Devvie

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-03-15 16:16:22 »

I agree about the suggestion to have the judges place the games in an order for next year and skip the "give a score between x and y to each game" method. Anyway, as I said before; nice contest.

Also, will Java 1.5 be allowed next year? (So that I can start creating stuff.)

My 4k 2006 Entry: Sokoban4k
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-03-15 17:36:36 »

Congrats to the winners!  However, I thought Ladybug would be up there as well...I thought it rocked Smiley

-Chris

Offline EnderGT

Junior Devvie

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-03-15 19:04:59 »

Edit: From JSquares, "shelton (+50): didn't play, took too long for the extra components to install."

Does anyone know what he might be talking about? As far as I can tell, the game doesn't do anything that might require special components.

As the author of JSquares, I can say definitively that there are no special components that install, so I have no idea what he's talking about. I'ts pure java, self-contiained in the jar. Maybe WebStart tried to update something and that took too long? Certainly wasn't the game itself.

Response to:    "nonnus29 (+63): This game didn't make any sense, I think the ai was cheating..."   nope, no AI cheating, just a good algorithm Smiley

I'll try to include better instructions next year, if I resubmit with more features.

As for my attempt at a Hold 'Em game, maybe I'll get it working for next year.
Offline Rick

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #46 - Posted 2006-03-15 22:53:12 »

Thanks to all the judges your comments were great. The entries were outstanding this year.

ChrisM, thanks for the comment on my Ladybug game.  I was ok with the position that it placed in the competition, tied for 10th in score but 11th in postion. Guess I will need to make games that sort higher in the alphabet. Smiley

But I was surprized at what games beat it, and at what games it beat. It looks like there is no consideration as to how much was squezeed into a game. Some very simple games made it to the top, while some very complex games were way down. Looks like you need a game that has very simple controls and that gives a game over in about 30 secs. This way it becomes what the judges call "addictive", That is, I surely can do better than 30 secs.

Of course none of these comments apply to Miner a great example of what a 4K game should be. I certainly thought it deserved to win.

Congrats to all the entries. The best J4K  yet. Can't wait till next year.
Offline Anon666

Junior Devvie

aka Abuse/AbU5e/TehJumpingJawa

« Reply #47 - Posted 2006-03-15 23:52:41 »

I fail to see why there has to be a 'winner' at all.

Each game has its merits, and we all know which were most successful.

Are we so consumed by ego, that we require our work to be acknowledged and judged by our peers, so we maybe satisfied that we did a good job?
Offline darkprophet

Senior Devvie

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #48 - Posted 2006-03-16 00:24:06 »

yes  Wink

Friends don't let friends make MMORPGs.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline woogley
« Reply #49 - Posted 2006-03-16 03:25:02 »

I fail to see why there has to be a 'winner' at all.
because it's a contest

Are we so consumed by ego, that we require our work to be acknowledged and judged by our peers, so we maybe satisfied that we did a good job?
if you cant get satisfaction from being in something other than 1st place, that's kinda shallow.. o_O

the ones that didn't make 1st place aren't ignored, but, again... it is a contest.
Offline mlk

Junior Devvie

Muppet!

« Reply #50 - Posted 2006-03-16 08:01:29 »

Edit: From JSquares, "shelton (+50): didn't play, took too long for the extra components to install."

Does anyone know what he might be talking about? As far as I can tell, the game doesn't do anything that might require special components.

As the author of JSquares, I can say definitively that there are no special components that install, so I have no idea what he's talking about. I'ts pure java, self-contiained in the jar. Maybe WebStart tried to update something and that took too long? Certainly wasn't the game itself.
<j2se version="1.4"/> should be <j2se version="1.4+"/>
as if you have1.5 installed, it will install 1.4. grr.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 16
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #51 - Posted 2006-03-16 08:45:10 »

Well, yes.

"hey guys, let's all make some 4k games" probably won't be as popular as "hey guys, let's see who can make the best 4k game".

Play Minecraft!
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

« Reply #52 - Posted 2006-03-16 13:23:29 »

The target JVM for this contest was 1.4. I certainly would hope that the judge was using a 1.4 JVM for testing. Otherwise we would have some definite problems with the judging on our hands.

Offline EnderGT

Junior Devvie

« Reply #53 - Posted 2006-03-16 14:49:34 »

Ah, yes, that explains a similar problem I've experienced  - I have 1.4.2 installed, and a work app has 1.4.1 as its j2se version, so it installs JRE 1.4.1. Now I know, so in the future I will be sure to do it correctly.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #54 - Posted 2006-03-17 01:11:14 »

The target JVM for this contest was 1.4. I certainly would hope that the judge was using a 1.4 JVM for testing. Otherwise we would have some definite problems with the judging on our hands.

The rules said it must run on 1.4.. but were ambiguous at best if it meant ONLY 1.4.  I interpreted that to mean that any release-version JRE that was at least 1.4 might be used for testing... since I think that is the most practical situation to expect of end users.

Offline sillysoft

Junior Devvie

Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2006-03-20 06:50:32 »

Hey,
I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed playing all the 4k games. Miners especially (although it always crashes on level 4 start for me), but a lot of the others were very cool too.

Kudos to all the authors and the contest organizers.  Grin

Offline x30ice

Senior Newbie

« Reply #56 - Posted 2006-03-20 23:46:40 »

Congratulations to all the winners!!

I hope I could find some time to finish something next year.
Offline Malohkan

Senior Devvie

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #57 - Posted 2006-03-31 18:50:03 »

I still play games on the list that are in the top 30 Smiley  You don't have to be #1 to be good.  There are still great games on the whole list, but I do feel the games are reasonably well sorted.  Those in the top 10 deserve to be top 10, those in top 20 deserve to be top 20.  That sort of thing.  Even top 5 is PRETTY close to what I feel the majority feels, although a few got bounced out as has been discussed Smiley

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (22 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (19 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (22 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (36 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (74 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (52 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (46 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (41 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (68 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org