Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (589)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  "Project Darkstar" teaser site....  (Read 14678 times)
Offline Mr EEK

Senior Newbie

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-03-22 13:01:44 »

And don't give us any nonsense about timezones either, it's already more than half-way through the 22nd here in the UK  Grin

C'mon, unlock that website!
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-03-22 16:10:01 »

And don't give us any nonsense about timezones either, it's already more than half-way through the 22nd here in the UK  Grin

C'mon, unlock that website!

hehe, it's already March 23 here in Tokyo, JP.
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #32 - Posted 2006-03-22 20:09:56 »

Unlocked!  Enjoy!

http://www.projectdarkstar.com

-Chris

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Funkapotamus

Junior Devvie

wo shuo han yu

« Reply #33 - Posted 2006-03-22 20:14:33 »

Unlocked!  Enjoy!
http://www.projectdarkstar.com
-Chris

FYI: Link to "Andrew Leker’s Stomping Grounds" (http://download.java.net/games/SG83.zip) is broken.

Otherwise: Hooray!  Can't wait to look into this further.   Grin
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #34 - Posted 2006-03-22 20:41:47 »

Ooo, this looks rather nice. Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #35 - Posted 2006-03-22 21:07:23 »

Stomping Grounds link fixed!  Thanks all!

-Chris

Offline kaffiene
« Reply #36 - Posted 2006-03-22 21:14:39 »

What are the terms of use going to be when it's out of eval stage?
Offline mudman

Junior Devvie

Here we go again...

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-03-22 22:58:57 »

I'm reading the server-api tutorial atm, and I'm a litte surprised to read:

The SGS is a distributed system. Each host contains an SGS slice that consists of a single stack of
software running in a single process space. Each slice can handle 200-500 users, depending on the game
and the hardware.

Does this mean machine=host so that one computer can only handle 200-500 users? Or can one machine contain multiple slices?
200-500 seems low to me? Look at a small "indie" game like Runescape, handling up to 2000 clients per server (Or is a Runescape server also a cluster?)
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-03-22 23:21:41 »

I still have to read anything but I'm pritty sure those are estimates.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Spiff

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-03-23 04:41:05 »

The PSP giveaway at the Darkstar booth was a brilliant idea. Never thought I'd see a crowd of a hundred game developers yelling "Sun!"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-03-23 05:39:35 »

The one demo that's available, Stomping Grounds, is Windows-only, DirectX-based.  I guess they went with the C/C++ API and are using Java only on the server side with Darkstar...    I guess that's one way to get some exposure to the majority of game developers... makes a lot of sense really.. but I'm sitting here with my Mac.

Anyway.. I certainly hope the client-side Java games look good beside it, or it will just be used as ammo for the "Java games can't compare" argument.  I don't mean to complain really...  I suspect this time Sun will pull it off.

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-03-23 08:14:21 »

After a quick skim, through the tutorials, it looks great.  It needs a much closer read in slow time though.  I like the scaleability, which is a great commercial selling point.  Just learning how it works is going to be a networking masterclass in itself Smiley

I notice that there are a number of server related services & also support for peer-peer (which routes through Level 0 & 1 I think).  Need to understand this better, as obviously bandwidth usage is a major factor.  Not now though, got to get to work.

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 421
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-03-23 10:43:26 »

It is rather embarrassing that Stomping Grounds is a Windows executable running on DirectX though, isn't it.... another snafu...

Cas Smiley

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-03-23 11:08:38 »

it's not till now that I realised(I was offcourse heading straight to the code/tourials/api) where did all the fancyness go? (Graphics/Flash) also there is some layout problem at the bottum over here.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline DanielEllard

Junior Newbie

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-03-23 19:02:41 »

The SGS is a distributed system. Each host contains an SGS slice that consists of a single stack of
software running in a single process space. Each slice can handle 200-500 users, depending on the game
and the hardware.

Does this mean machine=host so that one computer can only handle 200-500 users? Or can one machine contain multiple slices?
200-500 seems low to me? Look at a small "indie" game like Runescape, handling up to 2000 clients per server (Or is a Runescape server also a cluster?)

These are rough estimates.  What it really depends on is how many events have to get pushed through the slice per unit time.  We can probably handle a lot more than 500 users for some kinds of games, and fewer than 200 for pathological cases.  Asking how many users a slice can support is a little like asking how fast a computer is without naming the benchmark!
Offline DanielEllard

Junior Newbie

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-03-23 19:14:22 »

It is rather embarrassing that Stomping Grounds is a Windows executable running on DirectX though, isn't it.... another snafu...

Cas Smiley

How so?  A very happy external customer used our client-agnostic, language-agnostic platform to build a product solid enough to roll out for our launch.  It's all good.

If you're a Java advocate, then you might be disappointed that the game isn't pure Java, but ProjectDarkStar isn't about Java advocacy.  It's about making the customer happy and productive, and if that requires Windows, so be it. 
Offline mudman

Junior Devvie

Here we go again...

« Reply #46 - Posted 2006-03-23 19:42:24 »

and the hardware.

These are rough estimates.  What it really depends on is how many events have to get pushed through the slice per unit time.  We can probably handle a lot more than 500 users for some kinds of games, and fewer than 200 for pathological cases.  Asking how many users a slice can support is a little like asking how fast a computer is without naming the benchmark!

Reading the Programming guide a second time I can see why those numbers seem low to me:
Every single little game object being checked out/in of storage, instantiated in copies for every get/peek and synchronized between hosts in the cluster must come with a quite high performance price. But the potential benefits from scalability and fault tolerance probably more than makes up for this.
You can get 5-10 cheap PCs for the price of 1 server with ECC Ram and the works, and with good scalability these should easily be able to outperform the server machine.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #47 - Posted 2006-03-23 21:07:13 »

If it uses the SGS from C++ that's just another plus for SGS, isn't it?  It's all about perspective... they need such a title to attract the ignorant C/C++ devs that would otherwise dismiss it because it was "that slow Java stuff that nobody uses for games".

The real embarrassment is that after using Windows and downloading the Stomping Grounds demo from their site, I STILL can't play because the idiot thing won't launch if you have a debugger running... Sorry, I'm not rebooting just to play your game.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2006-03-23 23:19:33 »

As a development manager I'm very wary of mixing platforms on server and client, basically because you've got to write the code twice if it's in two different languages. The serverside representation of game world objects often needs to be exactly the same on the client. I wouldn't want to have to write the same objects in C++ and then again in Java. Just a thought.

But even so... big shame there was no Java client to show it off. After all these years of trying to get Java on the desktop for gaming...

Cas Smiley

Offline DanielEllard

Junior Newbie

« Reply #49 - Posted 2006-03-24 03:14:17 »

But even so... big shame there was no Java client to show it off. After all these years of trying to get Java on the desktop for gaming...

Cas Smiley

Battle Trolls is 100% Java.
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #50 - Posted 2006-03-24 05:04:39 »

Today?
Where are my details?  Grin

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #51 - Posted 2006-03-24 09:44:59 »

Battle Trolls is 10% complete :/

Cas Smiley

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #52 - Posted 2006-03-24 11:10:56 »

3 Game demos at the grand launch...
  • "Due to a licensing issue, this version is no longer available for download..."
  • **COMING SOON**
  • **COMING SOON**

Tongue

Offline DanielEllard

Junior Newbie

« Reply #53 - Posted 2006-03-24 14:21:22 »

Battle Trolls is 10% complete :/

Cas Smiley

Looks pretty good for a game that's only 10% done.   Wink

I just wish they'd finish the 90% that involves putting it on the web site.
Offline woogley
« Reply #54 - Posted 2006-03-24 15:26:47 »

• "Due to a licensing issue, this version is no longer available for download..."

even though the title header "Andrew Leker’s Stomping Grounds" is still a link that points to the installer EXE Roll Eyes
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #55 - Posted 2006-03-24 17:59:30 »

even though the title header "Andrew Leker’s Stomping Grounds" is still a link that points to the installer EXE Roll Eyes

That's because the new version is up and you can now download it and play Smiley  The current pointer is the correct build and, yes, it is a windows executable. But it is using the new server, so have at it!

-Chris

8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161