Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  "Project Darkstar" teaser site....  (Read 14467 times)
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Posted 2006-03-03 22:49:06 »

http://www.projectdarkstar.com

Grin Grin Grin

-Chris

Offline Tzan

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:55:33 »

Ooo!   Aaah!    Smiley
Online kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 168
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:57:19 »

It better be damn good after all of this Smiley

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline GKW

Revenge is mine!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-03-03 23:22:46 »

It's a tease, it's a tease, it's a tease but it always works!
Offline zero

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-03-04 04:49:58 »

the site does'nt work for me  Cry
(see attached screenshot)
Offline kylix999

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-03-04 06:15:42 »

Houston! Houston! we have finally not got problems...
 darkstar  is one little step in whole game industry but huge in java gaming industry  Cheesy
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 386
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-03-04 11:26:19 »

Er, what's it do, then? Is it like a laser ("solution looking for a problem") or is it like a Swiss army knife or what?

Cas Smiley

Offline Daire Quinlan

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-03-04 12:20:31 »

Er, what's it do, then? Is it like a laser ("solution looking for a problem") or is it like a Swiss army knife or what?
Cas Smiley

well lasers were the apocryphal 'solution looking for a problem' when they were first invented but since then they've turned up in millions of different consumer devices and have actually spawned entire industries and helped propel scientific advances that wouldn't have been possible without them, so if it does INDEED turn out to be 'like a laser' then I reckon sun ought to count themselves lucky :-)

Although, yes, I -do- find my swiss army knife considerably more useful than my laser pointer. Now if only someone would invent a suitably powerful little handheld laser 'cutting device'* of some description I'd be a happy man.

D.

*by 'cutting device' I obviously mean a 'laser rifle' or perhaps 'orbital laser bombardment satellite' . ohhhhh yeah.
Offline JavaJeff

Senior Newbie

Einsteinian geodesic...

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-03-04 13:28:33 »

Well, it rates 100% on my hype-o-meter...  Wink
Offline Mr_Light

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-03-04 13:39:37 »

Undecided I was hoping for that whitepaper jeff went on about ages ago

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-03-04 15:20:50 »

Undecided I was hoping for that whitepaper jeff went on about ages ago

On March 22, the whitepaper, docs, code samples, runtimes, forums, wiki, etc. will all be available.  You know that never used front page for games at Java.Net?......

No hyps, Jeff and I have been pushing this for 3 yearsand Sun did a serious investment in it not too long ago.  We FINALLY believe that you all will be pleasantly suprised Smiley

In fact, it's not just a smiley feeling, it's more of a " Grin Cool Shocked Grin Grin Shocked Cool" feeling!

-Chris

Offline JavaJeff

Senior Newbie

Einsteinian geodesic...

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-03-04 15:36:39 »

@ChrisM, no offense intended Chris. I thought the teaser was great and I'm sure the denizens of the Java Games Forums will all be in awe when Project DarkStar is unveiled...  Smiley Cool Smiley
Offline Vorax

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-03-04 16:52:03 »

I'm impressed - yet again you got me excited and yet again I know nothing new!!   J/K - I know the date when all will be revealed Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-03-06 00:02:36 »

...*flash*? *ahem*

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-03-06 03:16:47 »

...*flash*? *ahem*

It's Sun marketing... did you expect something different ? Smiley

Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-03-06 07:56:00 »

Isn't Darkstar just another server?
Doesn't Sun have millions of them already?
Why is it that I'm always left out of the loop.

Can someone *PLEASE* explain to me what PD is? Thanks.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-03-06 10:20:02 »

At least we know K.I.L.E.R fell for the hype. Cheesy

Play Minecraft!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-03-06 14:14:15 »

From the little hints that have been given I believe Project Darkstar is about a gaming server designed to scale in new ways.   Multiple different games could be hosted by the same server.  From some of the hints dropped around here It seems that Darkstar has the potential for smaller developers to pay for a small slice of a server to run their game without having to make the huge investment typically required to run a full online gaming community.    That seems to fit into Sun's model of selling servers and supporting server-based services that can be resold by their direct customers.

I hope it does well and that Sun manages to get some big customers on board, because there is bound to be some spill-over to the client side once developers see the power of Java for the server-side of gaming.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-03-06 14:35:56 »

Wow, 100% content free, I'm impressed!

You know that never used front page for games at Java.Net?......
Yes, you've promised an overhaul of it several times already. Each time it gets a burst of activity for a week then goes dead again. Roll Eyes

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Vorax

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-03-06 18:03:01 »

Darkstar is the PC term for a star that's not to bright.  They used to be called Dwarf stars. Cheesy

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-03-06 23:38:34 »

Darkstar is the PC term for a star that's not to bright.  They used to be called Dwarf stars. Cheesy

Soome defitions say that other definitions say its a black hole.

Either ofcourse leads to some pretty nasty minorly clever comments if you care to make them.
AFAIAC as the Darkstar Architect, Dark Star is the name of John Carpenter's student film Cool

Its also, I am told, the name of a classic Dead tune.

But aside from all that.

Project Darkstar is the project under which the Sun Game Server is beign developed.  The Sun Game Server is a software technology designed to address many of the problems of developing massively scalable and persistant online game content tdoay.  Project Darkstar goes beyond the server itself to address issues of deployment and administration of such content .

Beyond that, wait 2 weeks and we'll be able to talk a LOT more about it.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-03-07 21:50:46 »

Somewhat more on topic...(?)

I am representing IMIlabs, a "first" developer with DarkStar for the launch of our debuting independant game at GDC.

Our experience has been excellent with DarkStar and it is working great right "out of the box".

It replaced our working but limited networking layer with very little changes to our existing system layered above (actually it was due to our system not been as layer as it should've been which was fixed with a few commented out code!)

We are mostly dealing with client to client networking (the game is cartoony combat racing) so throughput and latency are our most important factors, and all is well in our tests so far.  I mention this because other traditional Java networking systems (not the raw nio.* stuff but other SE and enterprise stuff) simply are not built for this kind of usage pattern and introduce all kinds of complexities/dependencies and latencies that are not part of this gaming oriented API.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-03-07 22:23:05 »

Wurm Online almost became a darkstar game long before I had any idea that's what it was called.
But of course, sun always stopped talking to us when we asked "so when can we actually see this server thingie?". Undecided

Play Minecraft!
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-03-07 22:32:06 »

Wurm Online almost became a darkstar game long before I had any idea that's what it was called.
But of course, sun always stopped talking to us when we asked "so when can we actually see this server thingie?". Undecided

Hey,  we *love* you guys.  The fact of the matter is that up til now it really just wasn't ready for you.

Id say the GDC release is what we always wished we had to give you.  And now we do.

I realie it might be a little late for Wurm, but there is always your next project.....   Cool

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-03-07 22:33:08 »

I'm sure they wanted to put it out long ago, but as I understand it's really an issue of allocated internal resources to get it primetime ready.
Last year they got the go ahead to finish developing it into a product, it's unfortunate that it missed your dev window.
Depending how work and how attached to your networking perhaps after GDC you can look at using it...

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-03-08 09:46:43 »

Hey,  we *love* you guys.  The fact of the matter is that up til now it really just wasn't ready for you.

Id say the GDC release is what we always wished we had to give you.  And now we do.

I realie it might be a little late for Wurm, but there is always your next project.....   Cool

Wooo! :-D

I have to say, I kinda started fearing you got your funding cut for the project. It's very nice (and cool) to hear it's actually happening.
I can't wait to read some actual details on it. :-)

Play Minecraft!
Offline jfelrod1960

Use the source Luke, use the source!!!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-03-08 14:46:09 »

Somewhat more on topic...(?)

I am representing IMIlabs, a "first" developer with DarkStar for the launch of our debuting independant game at GDC.

Our experience has been excellent with DarkStar and it is working great right "out of the box".

It replaced our working but limited networking layer with very little changes to our existing system layered above (actually it was due to our system not been as layer as it should've been which was fixed with a few commented out code!)

We are mostly dealing with client to client networking (the game is cartoony combat racing) so throughput and latency are our most important factors, and all is well in our tests so far.  I mention this because other traditional Java networking systems (not the raw nio.* stuff but other SE and enterprise stuff) simply are not built for this kind of usage pattern and introduce all kinds of complexities/dependencies and latencies that are not part of this gaming oriented API.

I have been following you guys (IMI) for a while.  When will your game debut for those who will not attend GDC?

Jeffrey F. Elrod
Complexsive Systems
Offline c_lilian

Java games will probably rock someday...

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-03-22 07:40:46 »

There's been a small update on the http://community.java.net/games home page... (a big ad : you can't miss it Wink )

Don't know if it's from today or if it's been there before...

Lilian Smiley

Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-03-22 07:49:51 »

still another 2 days for our mere mortals.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline mudman

Here we go again...

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-03-22 12:41:16 »

C'mon now, unlock that website now Smiley It's today, hehehe
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (37 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (29 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (18 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (42 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (24 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (60 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (36 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (49 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (52 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org