Games in Showcase (581)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  LWJGL contest this year?  (Read 9160 times)
Offline g666

« Posted 2006-03-02 21:48:12 »

Needed:

A theme
An Organizer(s)

Thank You. Cheesy

desperately seeking sanity
Offline g666

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-03-03 18:01:49 »

Well I have a couple of idea: a Non-Matching Puzzle game contest and a beach theme contest.

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 85
Projects: 25

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-03-03 18:14:46 »

As the risk of posting about something that is generally really really hard to get going:

I think theres defeinitely been some interest in the past, even a couple of entries produced for the proposed LWJGL16k.

However, I'd like to see something different done. 4K (as noted) is a special case where the size limit doesn't reduce the number of games that can be produced, it acts as an equalizer. Taking the 4K contest and sticking 16K instead just seems a bit boring to me.

I like the idea of themes. The recent gamedev themes event seemed to work very well. There are also other limits that can be imposed, onyx recently mentioned the idea of only being able to use a single 256x256 texture for everything in the game which seemed pretty neat.

Anyone have any good ideas for themes and/or limits? So far I like:

Themes:
   - Non-Match 3 puzzle games
   - Wildlife based games (must get a certain number of different animals in)
   - Retro game remakes (although Retro Remakes did one of these recently)
   - Explosive Games
   - Gravity Based Games
   - Sound based games
   - Pluggable AI games - design a game which others can write AI for (not sure how this would work)

Limits
   - One texture limit (256x256?)
   - No resources - procedural content only
   - Game Pad Input only (ready for consoles - could provide an emulation tool for those without hardware)
   - Small Res Games
   - Time (2 day contest - though this gives the advantage to those with prebuilt stuff hanging around - also competes with that other contest)
    - Fixed resources (provided by a budding artist or an open source resource - Ari Feldman's sprites for instance)

Kev

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-03-03 18:31:21 »

A combination of both theme and limit would benice. I.e. a explosions with procedurally created content sounds good. There is a problem with procedurally created content tho, the programmer can shove the texture data to a byte array and decode that.

But like you said, its hard getting something general.

DP

Friends don't let friends make MMORPGs.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline woogley
« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-03-03 19:06:58 »

An Organizer(s)

my specialty. java unlimited is looking for a contest to organize between the 4K's. shoot off an e-mail to me when you've got a contest that needs starting. woogley[at]gmail.com

edit: hey look. my 400th post Tongue
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-03-03 20:02:12 »

Should it be LWJGL-only or JOGL/LWJGL whichever you prefer?  In other words should this just be a contest that allows use of any approved OpenGL bindings?

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-03-03 20:08:09 »

Thats a good point - I guess it could just be a JGO contest - no need to restrict to OpenGL even (unless that makes sense I guess).

Kev

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-03-03 21:35:25 »

As far as that goes we could just have a list of allowed libraries, include ODE bindings, JOODE, JInput, JMe, Java 3D, Xith, etc...   That would tend to support the community better, I think.

If everything is set up so that the allowed libraries are used via WebStart from approved URLs then it will be easier to manage what counts as "your" code vs. approved library code.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 283
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:07:57 »

That's why the size thing has always annoyed me really... daft restrictions on what you can and cannot use. I say just pick a deadline and then the canniest programmers will use every tool they have available in that short space of time to come up with a game. Ok, so I admit perhaps I might cheat and just use my minigame template engine but there we go, I put the effort in so why shouldn't I go for gold Cheesy

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:21:42 »

I think when it comes to talking about rules and restrictions then looking at how Ludum Dare does things is a good start. The important thing to note is that every restriction tends to put more and more people off of taking part. LD tends to have two restrictions: 48 hours and a gameplay theme. In these cases there're not really restrictions, they both help you focus on creating a *game*. The short time limit is obviously the main quirk and so probably attracts people as much as puts them off (much like the 4k competitions). The theme makes people more creative and provides a good starting point (avoiding the whole blank-canvas writers block problems).

Interestingly they've been loosening up the restrictions on using libraries as the competition has gone on, and it's only made things better. Early ones had rules like "any approved open source library". This just ended up making world+dog ask for their favorite lib to get added to the approved list (and most were). Things have progressed now down to one simple rule: any existing code you want, as long as all gameplay code is written during the competition. The crucial thing here is that this has only made things better - less rules, less explaining about the rules, less exceptions to the rules. Less arguing over "language X has this built-in, why can't I use language Y + lib Z". And less likely to put people off.

In short, I'd like to propose the same thing. Any pre-existing code is allowed, as long as all game and gameplay code is written in the competition time. And it'd be nice if you could release the source, but it's not required. This causes less quibbling over the rules and lets everyone use their favorite environment - which means you get more entrants and better games. Smiley Of course being JGO it'd probably have to have the implicit "must be written in Java" too. Wink

Also, themes are good. And time limits have to be either exceptionally short (24-48 hours) or a decent chunk of time (a month). In-betweeny ones like a week don't work well.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:32:18 »

I know what you mean...  I just also know that I have no time, so space restrictions would be easier to deal with for me.  I would have a chance in a 4k contest, but soon as the contest is big enough to support something along the lines of the puppygames stuff then I know I don't stand a chance... at least not in a restricted time frame.

I've got no problem with it either way though.   A contest in some form larger than a 4k is a good idea.  Theme-based   would work.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:40:02 »

>Of course being JGO it'd probably have to have the implicit "must be written in Java" too.

Objection! :V

Say there is a framework which allows scripting a game in say... python (jython) what then? How about the game code/logic must run inside the vm instead? Otherwise you wouldnt be able to use (most) scripting languages.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-03-03 22:50:44 »

>Of course being JGO it'd probably have to have the implicit "must be written in Java" too.

Objection! :V

Say there is a framework which allows scripting a game in say... python (jython) what then? How about the game code/logic must run inside the vm instead? Otherwise you wouldnt be able to use (most) scripting languages.
Heh, this is why having fewer rules is better. You could have "anything which can be played via webstart or an applet" but I know webstart isn't always ideal.  "Anything which uses a JVM to run" seems overly technical though.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-03-03 23:13:00 »

"the game code/logic must run inside the vm"

On a second thought... that would also allow games which use so called "dirty java" (native engine which invokes a vm to run the game logic).

"anything which can be played via webstart or an applet"

Is sorta better, but it has it loopholes, too.

"anything which can be played via java webstart and runs under win, mac and linux"

Is better. Same loopholes, but more painful to exploit Wink

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-03-03 23:46:05 »

Any more theme ideas?

Kev

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-03-04 00:24:51 »

I think the game must be running everything on Java code with the exception of approved libraries to bind to native code.  So if your scripting engine is written in Java (by you) that would be ok because it would still be Java running the show.

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-03-04 00:26:51 »

Ohh, I despise themes in games contest....    Angry  I think they restrict creativity, not encourage it.

I just also know that I have no time, so space restrictions would be easier to deal with for me.

The 4k contest bit me in the @ss this year.  I had about 1k of uncompressed room left in my entry and I found that the mental WORK of coding to that killed me.  I got some good results but there's something about information content in a small space that wrecked me.  So I didn't finish it.  Maybe next year.

Anyway, I had big plans for a lwjgl 16k entry.  But like SW said, if the contest rules are such that puppy games or Markus (among others...) have resources and time to produce a full game, then forget it, it's just no contest.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-03-04 00:31:48 »

Any more theme ideas?

Kev

Quote from: nonnus29
Ohh, I despise themes in games contest....      I think they restrict creativity, not encourage it.

I think themes work as long as they are broad enough.  They do restrict creativity - but only a little bit.  The challenge becomes doing something creative with the given theme.

Hmm.. themes:

cops and robbers
treasure hunting
alien invasion
water
climbing
digging
flying
rescue

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-03-04 00:33:35 »

I think the point of any theme is to restrict creativity, to hopefully help to bring the contest down to more level pegging. I see where you're coming from with resources and time  - but thats what the restrictions are about - I just don't think size is the only way to do it.

Kev

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-03-04 00:42:54 »

I wouldn't worry about it not being a "contest" if Puppygame enters... we're only having fun and wouldn't put any more effort into it than anyone else I shouldn't think. Besides all of our libraries are open source so you're free to use all our code anyway Cheesy

Cas Smiley

Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-03-04 02:17:58 »

I know what you mean...  I just also know that I have no time, so space restrictions would be easier to deal with for me.  I would have a chance in a 4k contest, but soon as the contest is big enough to support something along the lines of the puppygames stuff then I know I don't stand a chance... at least not in a restricted time frame.

I've got no problem with it either way though.   A contest in some form larger than a 4k is a good idea.  Theme-based   would work.
Ditto.

I don't have a lot of spare time either, so something like 48 hours to make it would rule me out right away.  Any other restriction is fine for me.

Offline woogley
« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-03-04 06:19:24 »

meh. having a list of non-standard libraries a user can use really can make the size validation confusing for everybody. if you're going to have a lwjgl or whatever contest, the challenge should *not* be the size restriction.

we could pull off a time-limit and theme. (time-limit even being 3 months if the theme is broad enough to cover that much time). 48 hours is cool but I'd like to see some full potential games that are made in over a month's time. we're already making a name for java in the gaming market through the 4K, why not put some serious effort into a game (more than 48 hours) that's larger than 4K. we're really using these contests to motivate some impressive game creation in a short amount of time. It kinda makes no sense to give people 3 months to develop a 4K game but give them 48hours to develop a 3D 16K game?

theme idea: classic boardgame remakes (you know you want to see a real-time rendered 3D 'hungry hungry hippos' board game)

easy bonus would be to make your boardgame playable over a network Wink
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-03-04 07:08:42 »

I love the idea of classic board games remakes. Can't think why.

Kev

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-03-04 09:30:29 »

Ditto.

I don't have a lot of spare time either, so something like 48 hours to make it would rule me out right away.  Any other restriction is fine for me.

I'd also find it difficult to compete in a 48 hour contest.  I'm also pretty maxed out for the next couple of months anyway.

Themes are Ok, although I prefer subject themes, rather than technology themes.

Another thought is to have a small code limit, but unlimited resources.  That could be abused with some clever programming, methinks, but maybe worth the risk to get some more interesting graphics/sound.  Having said that, I've got quite a good procedural sound engine and a few ideas to make it even better Smiley

The most important thing however is for the competion to actually happen Grin

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-03-04 12:53:40 »

Ok, how's about we just do it! Deadline is 00:00 GMT 30th April. Must be runnable on Windows, OSX, Linux and deployed via Webstart; there are no other restrictions. Machines used for judging will be my laptops (all 3 of them, in various configurations, so code carefully!), my iMac G5, and whatever Linux machine Elias from Oddlabs has got TT running on. We won't enter except maybe for fun. Criteria are gameplay, graphics, sound, production. Prize is glory and $100 PayPalled from Puppygames plus all the lame publicity we can muster. Theme is.... rocks, tunnels, earth, channels, digging. Gentlemen + odd random girl, start your engines.

Cas Smiley

Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-03-04 13:46:55 »

Sounds good.

• JDK 1.5.0_06
  • Any library can be used.
  • Must be Webstartable
  • Must run on:
  • Windows
  • OSX
  • Linux
[li]Must incorporate the following themes:[/li]
  • rocks
  • tunnels
  • earth
  • digging
[/list]

All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
  • Gameplay
  • Graphics
  • Sound
  • Production
  • Incorporation of theme

Up to 20 points can be awarded in each category for a total of 100 points.

Offline g666

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-03-04 14:16:04 »

I dont think a month is long enough though, for many people to participate, it would put me off.

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-03-04 15:06:34 »

I dont think a month is long enough though, for many people to participate, it would put me off.

Well, technically it's almost two months.  Kind of a weird theme too....
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-03-04 15:24:46 »

>Theme is.... rocks, tunnels, earth, channels, digging.

All of those? If you dont make yet another Boulder Dash its difficult to use em all. Cant think of anything actually... mh.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-03-04 18:54:42 »

Won't award "points", we will simply put each entry in order of preference and the lowest score adding up the ranks wins.
If you use JDK5.0 you will find the game won't run on my Mac so I wouldn't advise it or you'll be disqualified Smiley
And the theme is very vague - use any of those words, or all of them, in your game. There's pretty much scope to do nearly anything Wink
I reckon 2 months is enough time to get something fun together.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (53 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (65 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (48 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (65 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (89 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (149 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (245 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (203 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (210 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org