Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (594)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Does anyone know Sony's viewpoint on Java SE Gaming? And ...  (Read 8939 times)
Offline jfelrod1960

Junior Devvie

Use the source Luke, use the source!!!

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-02-23 16:49:21 »

This brings me to mention the third, and very important player, in the PlayStation JVM issue, and that's IBM. IBM developed the CELL, and they are going to use it for their servers. IBM endorses Java and has tremendous expertise in JVM development (In my experience their J9 JVM is about twice as fast as HotSpot, and most of the papers on JVM technology are written by IBM researchers). So IBM will probably develop a JVM for CELL, the question is only how soon. If Sun and/or Sony want to collaborate, all they have to do is adjust the JVM which IBM will develop to whatever OS the PlayStation is using.

I think it is inevitable.  IBM will surely develop a JVM for CELL.  But would this push Sony into adding that JVM to the PS3.  I doubt.  But it would be a first necessary step.  Sony wants to make money off there game console.  Like  Jeff said earlier, a great game will get their interest and a JVM for CELL will make it possible for someone to make that great game.  Great meaning all of the visuals, high level physics and AI.

Jeffrey F. Elrod
Complexsive Systems
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-02-23 17:38:50 »

As I say, one *killer* Java game that was a PS3 must-have would chnage the world.

IMHO, the problem is that there is no such thing.

The only thing that would come close to being a "killer game" as far as PS3 is concerned is a game that makes tens of millions of dollars on PS2 or PS1. That's it. They couldn't give a rats arse about a game, no matter how great, otherwise.

How many times have you seen Bejewelled being sold on PS2? That's a killer game from every single angle you look at, and one of the best selling games of all time (profit-wise). How much interest is there in a PS3-Bejewelled? Go figure.

So ... let's not talk about this mythical Java killer game that would make Sony sit up. There isn't one, until there's a JVM on a Sony console.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline jfelrod1960

Junior Devvie

« Reply #32 - Posted 2006-02-23 18:14:55 »

As I say, one *killer* Java game that was a PS3 must-have would chnage the world.
So ... let's not talk about this mythical Java killer game that would make Sony sit up. There isn't one, until there's a JVM on a Sony console.

I won't agree to that.  Java gaming is just now slowly merging into the mainstream.  So a great game may get their interest.  But if what you say is comes to truth, then java gaming on a game console will never happen.  But maybe a great game is not the way to go.  Maybe a great demo on a high end machine and submit it to SCEA?  Huh  Just a thought?

Jeffrey F. Elrod
Complexsive Systems
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #33 - Posted 2006-02-23 18:44:34 »

IMHO, the problem is that there is no such thing.

I tend to disagree...  the Quake Franchise.  The GTA franchise (if they havent wrecked it). Heck even SIms4D would probably do it.

Your problem is you are defining killer from *your* perspective which is wrong.  You need to define it from Sony's perspective.  And from Sony's perspective it is "does the availability of this game potentially drive a ton more Playstations off the shelf..."

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #34 - Posted 2006-02-23 18:55:09 »

To convince Sony and other big players in the industry that Java is a very good thing on the consoles, I think that we need something equivalent to Renderware because we need APIs  that accelerate the productivity of developpers not only for PCs, Macs and Linux but also for consoles. JME and other high level APIs of this level do not compete like Renderware because they do not have the same goals.

Offline pron

Junior Devvie

Medals: 4

« Reply #35 - Posted 2006-02-23 19:47:43 »

As I mentioned before, my concern is that Java has to convince at all, while the competition (Microsoft and C#) just makes things happen. I realize Sun does not have the same effect on the market as Microsoft does, but if Sun continues to wait for a "killer" game from Sony's perspective or anyone else's perspective, which might or might not happen, and if it does - might or might not convince Sony, then we're in trouble.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but this is what will happen. If Sun (or anyone else in the Java community) passes over the Sony PlayStation, which is becoming one of the most successful "computer"s ever, then that means that Java is giving up on serious game development. Microsoft isn't. And soon C# will become the convenient language you can do everything with, and Java will become the convenient language you can do ALMOST anything with, and almost is not enough.

And then, sooner or later, young programmers will learn only C#, and Java will be toast.

I'm just trying to point out the tremendous effect that abandoning serious gaming is going to have on other applications of Java. Maybe that will scare Sun into action.
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #36 - Posted 2006-02-23 20:04:33 »

And then, sooner or later, young programmers will learn only C#, and Java will be toast.

You seem to forget that Java has a huge marketplace in traditional business systems. Having said that, how can you presume that Java will die? The fact that in the future developpers will be able to do everything with C# doesn't mean that everybody will say: Hey, I can do everything I want with C#, let's give up Java! And the shools can't ignore the trends of IT. That's why Java still has a very strong place even after many years of .Net. Java developers and companies don't want to switch to C# because you can do the same thing with it. C# will become dangerous when it will clearly surpass Java in terms of productivity and development costs.

Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-02-23 20:22:28 »

First of all, .NET hasn't been around that long, and it already took a bite out of Java.

With regard to schools - consider this: according to Gartner, the IT industry is split 50/50 between Java and .NET when it comes to new projects. Java still has a larger user base because it's been around longer. But let's assume that in time the industry will be split exactly  in half. I can live with that. I like Java better, and I don't have a problem with having another "super-power" around.
But if a school can teach only one language, even if the market is evenly divided, it will probably choose the language that you can really do everything with. That's what the students will want to learn, and the schools wouldn't care much about Microsoft's dictatorial regime. In fact, I can bet you that Microsoft will start paying schools or giving them other incentives so that they favor .NET over Java. Now, I realize Sun can't do everything, but passing over PS3 is a bit like simply giving up.

It pains me to see how Sun answers Microsoft's agressive marketing with what must be described as sheepishness. C'mon guys, we want to see some teeth.

Sun doesn't realize that there are certain things you must do even if they don't generate tremendous revenue right away simply for the marketing benefit. We want to see Sun putting up a fight.
Offline kylix999

Junior Devvie

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-02-23 20:40:24 »

i think that today is the moment when sun should decide if he  want to enter gaming market or not becouse consoles will became much more popular and in my opinion pc gaming will loose its position. PC's will be only used in business . Today pc's are popular becouse lots of people use them for everyday functions like internet / email etc i think that consoles in future will incorporate some of those functions. Note that the latest xbox 360 and ps3 have thier own hdd so its one step forward to incorporate pc features etc. Of course it is not something new becouse even to ps2 we were able to connect hdd, but the new generation of consloes will have them as standard. I think that consoles in future will play the role of today pc, really . Theoretically all things you make in pc you could be able to do with ps3/xbox like using net, typing documents and priniting them why not? ps3 has usb so only special drivers are required. I know that consoles are today only realated to gaming it is true , but in future i think not pc but consoles will be the standard in every modern home . Why becouse of economic reasons, they are much cheapier  than pc's which you must upgrade every one year to play  latest games, but console you buy only once for 5 years. As a general cost they are much cheapier. And when they will be so popular, consoles user will demand some new features so maybe programs like office will appear for consoles etc. So when in future pc's will be used only at work sun will not have java gaming clients (except emplotees who play games at work) and in that time it will be much harder to  get to true console game industry...
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-02-23 20:41:09 »

Your argument about future school trends makes some sense but I'm not 100% convince of that. Anyway, what should we do now instead of just complaining? We know that compenies listen to clients to make more money. We, as indie developpers, can sign a petition or whatever the form of document needed to ask Sun (and maybe the JCP) to develop a JVM for PS3 or Revolution or XBOX 360 or all of them (ok XBOX 360 is unrealistic  Grin). Our voice can have some weight but what we need most I think is the recognition of the need for Java in the gaming indistry (AAA titles) at large and this is far from reached. C/C++ developpers don't think Java is an advancement over traditional game dev. The obvious advantages of Java in terms of productivity over C is kind of ignored maybe because they are used to magage with the evils of C and they have access to excellent kits like Renderware. And don't forget that they manage with memory pointer crashes because of middlewares that take care most of the time of these situations at compile time.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-02-23 21:10:43 »

Anyway, what should we do now instead of just complaining? We know that compenies listen to clients to make more money.

Very true, and the fact is that no game company is making Sun any money right now because Sun is not into gaming. Kind of a Catch-22 here. However, once the IT companies realize that Java is losing the battle to a more popular language, Sun is going to notice. But as kylix rightly said - that might be too late.

Now here's the problem: Sun is currently losing a lot of money (I think $800M last year) while Microsoft's earnings are at an all-time high. It is therefore clear why Sun's management is careful about entering new and unfamiliar teritory.
Fortunately for Sun, it has a very powerful ally - IBM. You should know that IBM's revenues are three times those of Microsoft's (though its earnings are about the same), and IBM has bet its chips on Java. So far.

So what Sun should do is to build a "Java Alliance" with IBM, possibly HP and hopefully Sony. This goes far beyond the humble subject matter of this forum. It's part of a bigger picture of how can Sun compete against a stronger company that never takes any prisoners.

But Sun must understand that gaming is a crucial battle in this war. You can't always choose where to wage your battles, and it appears that Microsoft (which is strong on the desktop but weak on the server) wants to wage this battle (also) in the gaming field, so Java must be there. Lucky for Sun, the gaming industry is not so light on money either.

Talk of "killer apps" is dangerous. Did Sun wait for a killer desktop app before developing Swing?
The guys at Sun better find a business model for games pretty soon, or else be convinced that they must show up for that battle if they don't want to lose the war.

Yes. It's that serious.
Online princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 422
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-02-23 21:42:37 »

They've already lost the console war for the foreseeable future. Fortunately .net isn't yet mature enough to attract serious game developers yet either and probably won't be for the next gen as it's quite some way behind the latest Java VM. Bottom line is: I can't write games for ANY consoles, now, or tomorrow. But I could defect to some other traditional language and get my stuff on XBox Live and be relatively rich. I've already been offered a porting service to get my games over on XBox but that so totally defeats the purpose of Java I've resisted.

Cas Smiley

Offline jfelrod1960

Junior Devvie

« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-02-23 21:45:28 »

So what Sun should do is to build a "Java Alliance" with IBM, possibly HP and hopefully Sony. This goes far beyond the humble subject matter of this forum. It's part of a bigger picture of how can Sun compete against a stronger company that never takes any prisoners.

I can't agree more.  Sun can benefit so much more with this kind of alliance.  If you think about the stronghold you see with Windows/Intel processor, then think about Project Looking Glass/Cell Processor.

Maybe Chris and Jeff need to let Pron face the Generals at Sun and make the appeal?  Tongue

Jeffrey F. Elrod
Complexsive Systems
Offline kylix999

Junior Devvie

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-02-23 21:51:59 »

sun should finally once take a risk and get to the industry when new generation consloes are still not so popular so sun will have time to make them available for java and like pron said join to other companies like ibm .

I think that the problem of sun are not programmers who probably would like to make jvm for ps3/xbox but that management who only thinks about revenus...
Do you remember how java get into computer industry , netscape bought a license, it was a risk sun in that time do not know if users will be intrested with java or not,  if all spent money will back from revenus etc. That technology in 1995 was not even so impressive, java in that time was very slow etc . After a couple of years it was good enough t o make it a standard. SUN ifor a huge company i think that it will not be a problem to find some $ to make java for consoles. Like in that times when java has appeared for pc the same risk must be made and enable it for consoles. JAVA MUST REBORN...    that management stuff should ask themselve why such companies earlier related to buisness market has now do everything to promote themselve in game industry , like for example Microsoft.  BECOUSE MICROSOFT KNOW THAT WILL NOT EARN MORE MONEY on buisness due to strong competition and LIMITED amount of companies etc. Consoles users are milions and probably the whole familis will play games (many of you gamers have your own children who will probably gamers will be too), game market is still  expanding every year , buisness market is more chermetic, the speed of buisness  progress is much slower even limited , but new gamers appear every year especialy in countries like china where lots of people plan to buy some modern platform and they will choose console so how long we will wait for sun management.... 
Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-02-23 22:24:23 »

You're right kylix, but Sun can choose to make money on businesses only. But they're wrong if they think they can do it without entering the games industry. Why? because Microsoft is there. Perhaps not completely there with .NET as Cas said, but they're sure as hell going there. Ignoring fierce competition like Microsoft is a BIG mistake. Before .NET, Sun could have gone merilly on their way making money off B2B, but now Microsoft is calling the shots. That's the way they work.

My pervious job was as CTO for an organization making software for the defense industry. Most of our software was in Java, and when we had to make a technology choice for a large weapon system control software, after speaking with Sun's Gregg Bollela, I chose their new RTSJ implementation (that's real-time java). Why? Because the system must be maintainable for at least ten years, and I knew Java was here to stay. I also liked Java's backwards compatibility which was a nice change from Microsoft which seems to switch technologies every 5 years or so.

Now I'm when in the process of starting my own company (that is not going to write games exactly but some other entertainment software), I was sure I was going to choose Java again.

When I saw that Sun, quite incredibly, not only does not charge head-on into the exploding game industry, but on the contrary, seems to ignore it altogether, waiting for a "killer-app", an alarm went off in my head. If Java is not to be part of one of the most important segments of the software industry, maybe it's not here to stay? I'm sure this is not Sun's and IBM's intention, but that just might happen.

So now is the time. While .NET is not quite there yet.
Offline Vorax

Senior Devvie

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-02-24 00:47:58 »

I wouldn't exactly say Sun is ignoring the games industry entirely.  They are showing Darkstar at the GDC in March.  The problem is that they are only seriously targeting the server side of the equation.

However, there are some reasons that might make Java not so good on consoles.  For a full blown AAA title, Java just might not cut it.  A big part of that might infact be memory usage (not performance).  The consoles are very resource constrained and that's not an area that JSE functions well in compared to C/C++.   HOWEVER - there are efforts by both Microsoft and Nintendo to capture the growing casual and Indie games market.  Those games require much less memory (as a general rule) and could easily fit within the constraints  of a modern console, without having to re-jig them much or the VM (other then the obvious HW differences in console architecture).  I am not sure what Sony's view on the casual market is, but this is an area where Java could fit very nicely on any current or next generation console. 

Casual/Indy style games that can run UNCHANGED on consoles, PC's, Linux or Mac's - that would be huge.  Right now, there are big porting efforts going on to bring these kind of games to XBox Live.  That porting effort wouldn't be necessary in the case of Java if the VM was there, and that would make Java very attractive.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #46 - Posted 2006-02-24 02:36:05 »

... And the shools can't ignore the trends of IT. That's why Java still has a very strong place even after many years of .Net. Java developers and companies don't want to switch to C# because you can do the same thing with it.

Microsoft paid-off the best university in Canada for Computer Science and Computer Engineering and got them to stop teaching Java to undergrads and switch to C#.

http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,54601-0.html

Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #47 - Posted 2006-02-24 03:47:27 »

I agree with pron and kylix for most parts of their argumentation.

The influence of games on other business often is underestemated.

Take the OS batlles for example: There were/are many, which could/can compete with those from Microsoft. I remember, that at the time of OS/2 at lot of school friends and I tested it. We liked it more than windows, BUT although a lot of actual games ran on OS/2, the newer ones didn't. As a result we switched back windows. Now say 2/3 of our parents weren't into computers that time, but are using it for office stuff. Now, why did they see MS Office, because their kids used MS Windows to play games.

... And the shools can't ignore the trends of IT. That's why Java still has a very strong place even after many years of .Net. Java developers and companies don't want to switch to C# because you can do the same thing with it.

Microsoft paid-off the best university in Canada for Computer Science and Computer Engineering and got them to stop teaching Java to undergrads and switch to C#.

At my University it was almost the same: Since two years now, Microsoft sponsors pratical courses on condition that they programming language is C#. I don't need to mention, that Java was used before..

IMHO this is a serious issue  Cry

For games MS also had a clever strategy, because in their presentations they have promoted C# for Gaming Tools. At this parts game developers usually don't fear that much about performance. As a lot have tried it and are getting used to a more modern programming language than C++. Further they notice that the performance isn't bad as expected and they begin substituting non-cirtical parts of their engine.. guess what's coming next..

Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #48 - Posted 2006-02-24 08:37:45 »

This is all very unsettling.

I think we can now clearly see why Sun CANNOT give up on Java gaming now. Java may seem to be doing very well at the moment, but it's really fighting for its life, and cannot afford to miss reaching out to new industries.

The way to convince Sun is this: IT managers with long-term thinking would want to know this: "How does Sun intend to carry on its competition with Microsoft?", because the IT people don't just want to choose the best technology now, but one that will be here in the next ten years, too. Now, if Sun could tell them, "Well, actually Sony adopted Java as its next game development environment for its consoles", the IT people are going to be convinced that Java is here to stay because they know how big and how important the game industry is. So, Chris and Jeff, this is what you should tell them. Because, frankly, if Sun is not in the console market soon, even I'll begin having my doubts regarding the future of Java.

Sony, on the other hand, certainly does (or should have) a strong interest in Java as well, because they're also competing with Microsoft. The gamers don't really care which company makes their console, they just want to play the best kick-ass games. The behavior of the market is controlled by both the consoly manufacturer and the game developers. The console with the best games makes the most money, and the game developers want to develop to the most popular console so they can make the most money. There's really a magic circle here, where each party (the console maker or the game developer) can try to affect the other. For example, each side can force the other to lower its prices.
One strategy Microsoft can try to use in order to attract developers (and I'm not saying that this is what will attract them, but like I said, the console makers will try everything) is to introduce a "modern" software environment for developing games, with which "writing your game is a snatch". Sony won't have an answer to that unless it adopts Java. Here's your interest.

All of us must understand, though, that Java (and .NET for that matter) won't make it into mainstream games right away, because of various performance issues (and I'm referring to memory requirements as well). Just like Java was very slow and cumbersome on the desktop at first. With time, JVM technology will adapt to the console hardware, but in order to do so it must at least be there NOW.

Tell that to the Sun executives.
Offline kylix999

Junior Devvie

« Reply #49 - Posted 2006-02-24 08:41:43 »

maybe sun should promote java as scripting language for games like lua etc, for example game company from Poland - Techland has used java as scrpting language in Chrome and Xpand Rally ,maybe sun should go that way, also as language for making tools is a good idea, but again that Techland has to make  java virtual machine on its own...  becouse sun has not even thought about selling license and make jvm for such use in games...

i think that management staff in sun thinks that they are in game industry - cell phones game industry, so they do not should bother another types of game industry like consoles etc. But it is wrong way. in future i think games in cell phones will move to native programs for one of the best system symbian which today is suported of the majority of phone vendors. Native games will be faster and more safe becouse of certification so java will not be so reqired for solving unnecesered acces to user system data etc. Java will be only in low end and medium devices but future will be to that high-end. slowly java will loose its position so TODAY sun should reserve some place of future market which are consoles.
Offline zero

Junior Devvie

« Reply #50 - Posted 2006-02-24 10:49:00 »

Personally, I don't think that a JVM on the PS3 is needed, though it would be great to have one. I doubt that C# will make it on the XBOX 360, so there is no *real* hurry. But this will probably change in the next next-gen, so one for the PS/4 is a *must*. (I know talking about the PS4/4 before the PS/3 is shipped sounds odd  Roll Eyes ).
On the other hand, Microsoft is creating a lot of developer tools and game companies do also. Some are already written in C# (see trinigy for example) and a lot more will be in the very near future. So the transition for the X-Box 720 (fictive name) will be very smooth.
Sony is also trying to get a lot of standards (e.g. COLLADA), libraries (threading,.. ) and tools. IMHO this is the point were Java has to be promoted! I don't expect a java game on a PS before a bunch of delevoper tools is released. But of course SONY should be interested in getting experience for a VM on a console, I bet Microsoft already tries some stuff. With nothing more high level then C++ on a PS4 and the X-BOX # (yet another fictive name  Wink ) they may lose another markter segment like the mobile music  market - oh how they must suffer from the I-POD, which has almost completely replaced the WALKMAN  Lips Sealed

Online princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 422
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #51 - Posted 2006-02-24 11:14:03 »

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that AAA means 101% performance and hand-crafted shader code. AAA refers to the marketing budget of the title, not the development budget nor anything to do with polycounts. Java's been technically able to compete with all the other AAA titles for a couple of years now ... except that no-one is going to put AAA marketing money behind a title that isn't available on a console as well.

Cas Smiley

Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #52 - Posted 2006-02-24 11:39:06 »

(BTW, with regard to C#, RealityEngine from Artificial Studios, one of the best next-gen engines around, is offering C# as its scripting language - http://artificialstudios.com/index.php)

So we all agree it's not too late yet, and that Java has some nice opportunities now.

But I can certainly understand Sun's concerns about entering uncharted waters, so here is my proposition:

Sun,IBM and Sony will agree to the following:
1) IBM will develop a JVM for the PlayStation based on their J9 JVM with some support for sony.
     IBM will do this because they can make money on a JVM for CELL on their servers. The Java gaming community will benefit by having its PS games run on J9 which is the cutting-edge JVM right now - If I had a heavy duty game I'd want it to run on J9. God that JVM is FAST. Sony will do it because it won't have to put in much money, and maybe they'll see some good come out of it in the future.

2) Sun, in return, will guarantee its support for Java gaming technologies by putting more money into game development tools as well as into promoting and developing JOGL, JOAL etc. Sun can also provide a JOGL based UI that I see is so needed. Of course, Sun will also license/sell sony its game server for use for PS games. This way, Sun will continue concentrating on development tools and B2B services. Let's say Sun will guarantee an additional $3M annually that will go into game technologies (it can add this amount to its $800M losses without even noticing).

If at some point in the future Sun sees it can make more money out of games, it can develop/acquire game engine technologies.

I'm sure there are some political problems here with this Sun/IBM collaboration, but if the two Java leaders can't work something out, then Java really is in serious trouble.

I think this is a low-risk offer that big companies like.
Now how does that sound?
Chris, Jeff, will you take this upstairs?
Offline jfelrod1960

Junior Devvie

« Reply #53 - Posted 2006-02-24 16:17:19 »

Being realistic pron you know they won't "take it upstairs", but Hell man, that's a plan! :thumbsup:

Jeffrey F. Elrod
Complexsive Systems
Offline GKW

Senior Devvie

Revenge is mine!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2006-02-24 17:39:57 »

I think we have to hope that Jeff's Darkstar project brings in a not too shabby amount of cash.  Otherwise I think we are going to continue to be a very low priority.
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #55 - Posted 2006-02-24 18:19:54 »

I ought it was famous for there mathematical studies didn't know about computer science. anyways this year adleast I've seen there assignments and there (still?) in java.
Please don't make the mistake of thinking that AAA means 101% performance and hand-crafted shader code. AAA refers to the marketing budget of the title, not the development budget nor anything to do with polycounts. Java's been technically able to compete with all the other AAA titles for a couple of years now ... except that no-one is going to put AAA marketing money behind a title that isn't available on a console as well.

Cas Smiley
WoW on console yet? Aoe? etc?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2006-02-24 22:22:59 »

(BTW, with regard to C#, RealityEngine from Artificial Studios, one of the best next
Chris, Jeff, will you take this upstairs?

Upstairs where?  The frist part of your idea is a mjor investment by IBM.

Neither of us work for IBM.  here's MY proposal, you get that comittment from IBM and maybe we can make some waves here...

P.S.  Tehrs no need for Chris or I to really "take anything upstairs". Scott reads every email he recieves...

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #57 - Posted 2006-02-24 22:24:37 »

I think we have to hope that Jeff's Darkstar project brings in a not too shabby amount of cash.  Otherwise I think we are going to continue to be a very low priority.

A very astute and realistic observation.

yes, Project Darkstar being a raging financial succes is probably our best hope for gettign Sun to invest further on a corporate level in the games industry.

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

shiny.

« Reply #58 - Posted 2006-02-24 23:52:11 »

I've been thinking: what about nintendo?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline pron

Junior Devvie

« Reply #59 - Posted 2006-02-25 17:09:45 »

Neither of us work for IBM.  here's MY proposal, you get that comittment from IBM and maybe we can make some waves here...

P.S.  Tehrs no need for Chris or I to really "take anything upstairs". Scott reads every email he recieves...

Alright.
I will send an email to Mr. McNealy and try to find someone at IBM we can talk to.
Might take a week or two, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

toopeicgaming1999 (71 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (60 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (14 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08

SHC (27 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (25 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (31 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (25 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (38 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (77 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (55 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org